Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.

TOPIC: New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 06:37 #1

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
This thread has been replaced by this one NEW Chat System.

Hi Folks,

We have just implemented a new chat feature and we welcome your feedback.

To the left you should see a tab which will pop out the chat rooms where you can join different rooms an chat as a group.

To the bottom right you will see a small panel which is for private messaging (121) between members. You can change your availability status etc. please experiment with the options and if you need help post your questions in this thread.

At the moment the tabs are on all pages so you can access them from anywhere provided you're logged in. This is just a trial after which we may change it to a single page - accessed via a menu link which will prevent the popups being available on all pages.

This version isn't ready for mobile phones. If that functionality is required the community would need to raise the funds to pay for the appropriate version.

Please let us know what you think about the new chat system.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Last Edit: 21 May 2014 01:01 by Frog.
The topic has been locked.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Orangeaid, KoreBolt

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 09:28 #2

• KoreBolt
  • Chwilio am y gwirionedd, a bydd yn gosod i chi am ddim.
Thank you very much for your work on this Frog. I tried it out today and it seems to work. It may be my laptop but the ''Getting list of online users....' stays there a while before the names come up.... could be my connection maybe...
- KoreBolt

Conspiracy Theorist - A derogatory term used to intimidate critical thinkers and truth seekers. It's not a conspiracy theory if we can prove it. Why can't they answer all our vital questions?

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 09:32 #3

• thoreau
my only complaint thus far is that everytime I open a new tab the bloomin thing comes out of offline - where I would prefer it to stay and makes me available again - any ideas as to how to stop that?
Freedom of Speech is the liberty to say what you like, not a freedom from any kind of criticism if the views you freely express happen to be ill thought out rubbish.

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 10:24 #4

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
KoreBolt wrote:
Thank you very much for your work on this Frog. I tried it out today and it seems to work. It may be my laptop but the ''Getting list of online users....' stays there a while before the names come up.... could be my connection maybe...

It's a bit early to say as we have done no testing on the dev site, so it's all a bit seat of the pants as far as the chat goes. I have been adjusting some options which effect the polling and timing. It will be left alone now for a while so we can see how things go. We need to try and balance the server load and bandwidth best we can.

Keep the feed back coming so we can get some idea of the user experience. If it isn't working out we will have to look for an alternative.
thoreau wrote:
my only complaint thus far is that everytime I open a new tab the bloomin thing comes out of offline - where I would prefer it to stay and makes me available again - any ideas as to how to stop that?

It looks like you have beaten it in to submission already so hopefully you have solved your problem? We are having to employ a suck it 'n see approach I'm afraid. Novum and I haven't had a chance to play with it much ourselves yet. With a bit of luck people will chip in with any tips and tricks as they discover them. :)

You can't break anything so feel free to explore and try things out. :postwhore:

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Last Edit: 19 May 2014 10:29 by Frog.

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 10:33 #5

• thoreau
Frog wrote:
KoreBolt wrote:

It's a bit early to say as we have done no testing on the dev site, so it's all a bit seat of the pants as far as the chat goes. I have been adjusting some options which effect the polling and timing. It will be left alone now for a while so we can see how things go. We need to try and balance the server load and bandwidth best we can.

Keep the feed back coming so we can get some idea of the user experience. If it isn't working out we will have to look for an alternative.
thoreau wrote:

It looks like you have beaten it in to submission already so hopefully you have solved your problem? We are having to employ a suck it 'n see approach I'm afraid. Novum and I haven't had a chance to play with it much ourselves yet. With a bit of luck people will chip in with any tips and tricks as they discover them. :)

You can't break anything so feel free to explore and try things out. :postwhore:

nope everytime a page is refreshed loaded or opened it switches to available oh well i am sure i shant be troubled by constant requests to chat anyway so... :rofl:
Freedom of Speech is the liberty to say what you like, not a freedom from any kind of criticism if the views you freely express happen to be ill thought out rubbish.

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 10:51 #6

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Are you using Firefox by any chance Thoreau? If you are I think I get what you're seeing now...the box expands and then contracts again? The behaviour is different in Chrome. We will need to investigate that to see if there is a solution, because that would be annoying to say the least.

If people are seeing strange things or having issues could you please give details of your OS and browser please along with version numbers.

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 10:54 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
thoreau wrote:
nope everytime a page is refreshed loaded or opened it switches to available oh well i am sure i shant be troubled by constant requests to chat anyway so... :rofl:

Im not a fan of stuff popping up like that either, Frog knows this. :hahano:

So i understand it can be a little annoying. :good:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 11:05 #8

• thoreau
yup i am using firefox and windows 8

if i manually set it to offline and then post, or go to another page it automatically switches back to being available - if multiple tabs are open i think i confuse it haha

not complaining btw giving feedback as requested

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 11:18 #9

• novum
  • Platinum Member
thoreau wrote:
yup i am using firefox and windows 8

if i manually set it to offline and then post, or go to another page it automatically switches back to being available - if multiple tabs are open i think i confuse it haha

In chrome it does seem to stay where its set at when new tabs are opened.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 11:23 #10

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Well that should be a complaint it's bloody annoying!

Multi tabs shouldn't be an issue because it's all the same session as far as the server and browser are concerned. We will need to look into that and see if anything can be done. If not we can change it to a menu option and people can switch tabs to access it. Not as convenient but probably better for peoples sanity. :aargh: :hahano:

Forgot to mention that in FF 29 win8 for me it stays logged, out but the panel pops open every page load. Your problem suggest a cookie settings issue in the browser settings. There are no third party cookies used for the chat by the way.

I just changed an Ajax setting which may or may not improve things there isn't much info about the function.

Last Edit: 19 May 2014 11:27 by Frog.

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 11:38 #11

• thoreau
dont know what you changed but am now staying offline - it does pop up but go back down again and remains as offline whoop :)
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 12:08 #12

• Orangeaid
  • Platinum Member
Got my first message ... works a treat. Thanks Gents :)
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 15:38 #13

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Okay so I'm a bit slow on the uptake :emb: , I just reported the pop up box on the "Forum maintenance thread".
Question- do you automatically show as "available" ( :chuckle: ) in the box if you are online or can you change the setting somewhere?

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 19 May 2014 17:00 #14

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Jagged Hope wrote:
Okay so I'm a bit slow on the uptake :emb: , I just reported the pop up box on the "Forum maintenance thread".
Question- do you automatically show as "available" ( :chuckle: ) in the box if you are online or can you change the setting somewhere?

Hi JH,

Sorry for causing confusion you wont be the only one wondering what the hell is going on. Novum and I don't actually know what to expect either! :emb:

I can't remember what the default state is and I can't tell from people appearing on the list because it seems a little random. There is a 60 second timer for a refresh on the chat server, and that maybe causing some sync issues?

You can change your status by clicking on the lower right hand popup box then click on ^ Available and a new panel opens with status options once you change the status it may take a wee while for the change to propagate out to other chat users. If you delete cookies the options you select will be lost and you will need to reset the options as you want them.

It's a bit of a learning curve for all of us right now - hopefully we will get it figured out shortly. If too many people find it annoying or not useful we can set it up differently, drop the idea altogether or look at alternative solutions. This seems to be the best available and the system we have now is free for us to use as it is right now. We can gain some additional features if we pay for different licenses. Having said that the core functionality remains much the same as it is now.

User(s) who Liked this post: Jagged Hope

New Chat System Active Please Give Us Your Feedback 21 May 2014 01:02 #15

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder