Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.

TOPIC: Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 21 May 2014 06:13 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Hello,

As most of you would already know, there are a large amount of smilies / emoticons available on the forum that can be used in posts. These emotes are displayed above the reply box when making a post.

We have found that these emotes need to load every time a post is replied to, which creates alot of load on everything as well as for the user, especially if the connection speed isnt so great.

To remedy this issue, we will soon be removing a majority of the smilies that automatically load / display above the reply box, and instead have created a smilie page which can be accessed from the forum menu, the last tab on the RHS. This will open a smilie page in a new tab.

No smilies will be removed or lost, they just wont all be loading when you reply to a post, and they wont all show above the reply box. A few of the more popular ones will be left to load / display as they do now above the reply box though.

The smilie page can be used to find the smilie you want - simply copy and paste or type the smilie code into the reply box.

We suggest that the smilie page be opened / loaded in a tab once during a forum session, and the page left open, to save having to reload the images over and over, this is just a suggestion though and not anything more. The images on the new smilie page should cache in your machine when the page is opened / loaded once anyway, whereas this can't occur when they are displayed above the reply box.

Time permitting, the smilie page will also be arranged a little better to group similiar smilies, memes and gifs together under relevant category headings.

Any questions feel free to ask in this thread. And we ask that if any errors are spotted on the new smilie page, or errors with the code when posted, to let us know also.

Regards.

Link to Truth Zone's Smilie page :right: truth-zone.net/forum/smilies.html

OR

Simply access it by clicking on the 'Smilies' forum menu tab.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 21 May 2014 06:50 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, sketti, Return of Zorro

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 22 May 2014 00:37 #2

Nov on the subject of forum changes have you thought about changing the look of the forum interface? I've got some good ideas for some themes to make it look more attractive and esoteric.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 22 May 2014 01:33 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Zorro wrote:
Nov on the subject of forum changes have you thought about changing the look of the forum interface? I've got some good ideas for some themes to make it look more attractive and esoteric.

Well the forum itself is basically standard kunena with some minor css tweaks, so from the black/grey forum tabs down. They dont offer different templates so any changes need to be done custom, and that work can be lost when updates are applied, because kunena can and does change things in updated versions which can render the old css attributes obsolete sometimes. In laymans terms you may have to start over again, at least on some level, to make the forum look the same again as what was created before with custom work.

So tbh its just easier imho to leave the forum close to standard kunena.

The forum however is housed inside the site template which is a separate thing, thats the main blue menu and so on, the blue background etc. We may be moving to a new template later in the year since the people who made this one dont seem to make an updated version to suit the newer versions of joomla.

And its always a good idea to keep the template (joomla) and forum (kunena) up to date for a bunch of reasons.

What kind ideas did you have in mind, can you give us an outline? :coolio:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 22 May 2014 01:35 by novum.

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 23 May 2014 01:35 #4

Nov, basically just spicing the interface of the forum up a bit, adding some colours and maybe some pictures?I'll get back to you on my ideas, I was working on some designs for a blog, but they're on one of my other computers. Make it more attractive to attract more members. ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Frog

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 23 May 2014 14:06 #5

frog, my settings are all working fine now in both linux and windows 7. Thanks.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 24 May 2014 00:29 #6

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
Cool, thanks for letting us know! I would like to claim credit but sadly I have no idea why it has started working. I haven't changed anything that should have effected the profiles etc. :dunno:

I have updated a number of different extensions - maybe one of them was causing a conflict on that page? Other than that it's a mystery to me. :umm:

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 24 May 2014 00:33 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Well there are a number of modules set to display on the edit forum profile page (below the forum) so perhaps one of those was messing things up as the older version of itself, and it was the updates that sorted it.

:dunno: :hahano:

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 24 May 2014 00:34 by novum.

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 16 Aug 2014 04:31 #8

• Straight Shooter
I had forgot about these need the b-day one for DG.

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 17 Aug 2014 16:01 #9

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I've only just worked out where the smilies are, I was just making do with the ones that are visible but I'm a fan of smilies. I like the new way now I've found it :yupgrin:

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 17 Aug 2014 19:02 #10

• novum
  • Platinum Member
jaxdreaming wrote:
I've only just worked out where the smilies are

:breakheart:

1365 = 1

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 19 Aug 2014 09:57 #11

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
yes... I know Novum... they were on the tool bar all the time... I did read your op a while ago but... :wissl: sort of... forgot :joint:
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 22 Aug 2014 13:07 #12

• Oracle
  • Futurist & Anthropogenist
The resident shill announced
blue_tackler wrote:
please make my profile inactive, I no longer want to have any connection to this forum.

yet he is trolling further. :facepalm:

blue_tackler wrote:
the lice are only going to jump onto other typhus victim

Prime example of holocaustianity mental issues, clinically insane, and utterly ill informed, a danger to public health if this dude was working for CDC.

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 22 Aug 2014 13:33 #13

• Mario
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • You have the Right NOT to Vote! = for EVIL!
The floating smilies pop-up box ..........
Last Edit: 22 Aug 2014 13:39 by Mario.

Changes to TZ Forum Smilies / Emoticons 29 Mar 2015 06:13 #14

• zax
  • Gold Member
The bouncing car must be in your personal arsenal,Eddie. :D