Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 14:15 #1

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
I would really like to see a block button here, and wondered what everyone else thought and mods, whether you've considered it?

I'm all for differences of opinion and have no interest in creating an echo chamber, but what I've noticed is there's a certain little gang of posters on here who don't construct opposing views, just hurl nasty personal abuse at others in an effort to shut them up. It's boring, tedious, offensive and exhausting, and I've had enough of wading through it every time someone starts an interesting, if contentious, debate. We're all human and can't help but get drawn into to to some extent, but that's not what I want to spend my time here doing - having a slanging match,

So I'd like to propose a block feature, so we can all have the choice to simply not engage with negative, abusive posters.

Others' thoughts?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Return of Zorro, Seaic, KoreBolt

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 14:35 #2

  • Orangeaid
  • Orangeaid's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 11647
  • Likes received: 8032
Maybe an ejector seat could be installed in the chair the hasbara trolls use and we can have a button installed which ejects them into their house ceiling at great speed when they get to be too much of a pain in the arse? :)
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014 14:44 by Orangeaid.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, PFIZIPFEI, Return of Zorro, Seaic, Timesarrow, KoreBolt

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 14:42 #3

  • Jagged Hope
  • Jagged Hope's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Member
  • Posts: 426
  • Likes received: 297
It is annoying when a discussion gets interesting and then it is totally derailed.

But.......it takes two to tango, so if you don't respond, the derailment would die quickly.

I try to remember that, just because you feel you have been wronged/insulted on an internet forum, doesn't mean you have to reply or 'defend yourself'. :)
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, Orangeaid

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 14:46 #4

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Jagged Hope wrote:
It is annoying when a discussion gets interesting and then it is totally derailed.

But.......it takes two to tango, so if you don't respond, the derailment would die quickly.

I try to remember that, just because you feel you have been wronged/insulted on an internet forum, doesn't mean you have to reply or 'defend yourself'. :)

Like I said though, we're all human, and people will get drawn into it, it's just human nature, and the "ignore them and they'll go away" approach doesn't really work (otherwise I wouldn't be starting this thread). It exhausts me even reading it, so I don't have the energy myself to construct a good post. It's a waste of my energy, whether I engage with them or not, and definitely lowers the whole tone of the place, and undoubtedly puts off other people contributing as they don't want to run the risk of being targetted.

"It's just the internet" doesn't cut it for me - we're still all just as human whether we're talking to someone on-line or off, and as the internet facilitates such a large proportion of social interaction these days - it does matter.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 14:51 #5

  • Orangeaid
  • Orangeaid's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 11647
  • Likes received: 8032
The Internet isn't real life though. Trolls behave in a way that they'd never get away with in real life. If they did behave like they do online they'd get a punch in the face.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:04 #6

  • Jagged Hope
  • Jagged Hope's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Member
  • Posts: 426
  • Likes received: 297
Orangeaid wrote:
The Internet isn't real life though. Trolls behave in a way that they'd never get away with in real life. If they did behave like they do online they'd get a punch in the face.

Yep plus we're all anonymous.
Stand back and put that mouse down!!!! :D
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:07 #7

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Orangeaid wrote:
The Internet isn't real life though. Trolls behave in a way that they'd never get away with in real life. If they did behave like they do online they'd get a punch in the face.

Yes, and they play on that, but the point is, whether it's "logical" to get stirred up by them or not, people do and that's a fact. We ALL do. They wouldn't bother otherwise. So all I'm saying is, rather than getting repeatedly riled up and having our emotions maniplated, we should have the choice to 'switch it off', as it were.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:08 #8

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Jagged Hope and Orangeaid - obviously no-one would force you to use the block button if you didn't want to, but what would be wrong with having the option for those of us who do?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:11 #9

  • Jagged Hope
  • Jagged Hope's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Member
  • Posts: 426
  • Likes received: 297
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope and Orangeaid - obviously no-one would force you to use the block button if you didn't want to, but what would be wrong with having the option for those of us who do?

Nothing, Timesarrow. :)

But I do think our reaction to things, good or bad, is a learning opportunity.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Orangeaid

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:15 #10

  • Orangeaid
  • Orangeaid's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 11647
  • Likes received: 8032
I agree with you Timesarrow completely. :) if one was there it is up to the user whether they want to use it or not.
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014 15:17 by Orangeaid.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic, Timesarrow

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 15:23 #11

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope and Orangeaid - obviously no-one would force you to use the block button if you didn't want to, but what would be wrong with having the option for those of us who do?

Nothing, Timesarrow. :)

But I do think our reaction to things, good or bad, is a learning opportunity.

I don't think one learns anything worth learning from being bullied, which is in short what abusive, name-calling trolling is.

I'm all for exchanging differences of opinion as I said, and yes sometimes people get very riled up in those exchanges and a bit of hostility may result - that's understandable.

What I object to is people who's sole and only motive is to batter others with personal abuse repeatedly until eventually that person is exhausted from it and gives up - and it works on almost everyone, or the trolls wouldn't keep doing it. Why should we be expected to waste our energy on them (because as I said, even not engaging with them involves reading and being drained by their posts) - ?

And I know for a fact this kind of thing puts other more sensitive, thoughtful, posters off posting. That is not fair or right, and not a valid sacrifice for anything we might "learn" from being abused.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic, KoreBolt

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 16:00 #12

  • Jagged Hope
  • Jagged Hope's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Member
  • Posts: 426
  • Likes received: 297
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope and Orangeaid - obviously no-one would force you to use the block button if you didn't want to, but what would be wrong with having the option for those of us who do?

Nothing, Timesarrow. :)

But I do think our reaction to things, good or bad, is a learning opportunity.

I don't think one learns anything worth learning from being bullied, which is in short what abusive, name-calling trolling is.

I don't like bullying either, Timesarrow, but I have to disagree to the extent that posting anonymously and voluntarily on an internet forum does not equate with real life experiences. So we will have to respectfully disagree on that point.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 16:08 #13

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope and Orangeaid - obviously no-one would force you to use the block button if you didn't want to, but what would be wrong with having the option for those of us who do?

Nothing, Timesarrow. :)

But I do think our reaction to things, good or bad, is a learning opportunity.

I don't think one learns anything worth learning from being bullied, which is in short what abusive, name-calling trolling is.

I don't like bullying either, Timesarrow, but I have to disagree to the extent that posting anonymously and voluntarily on an internet forum does not equate with real life experiences. So we will have to respectfully disagree on that point.

"Equate" as in "it's the same", no, I agree - of course it isn't the same and of course real-life bullying is worse. But "equate" as in "comparable", along the same lines, arousing the same feelings - then yes. It's all under the same umbrella of abusive, manipulative tactics to wear down, shame, and undermine someone enough that they lose confidence and shut up.

We must all take posting here seriously to a certain degree or we wouldn't bother, therefore I can extrapolate from that that we do (and should) take unpleasant behaviour here seriously as well.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic, KoreBolt

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 16:30 #14

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18938
  • Likes received: 8925
If there was a block/ignore feature available in kunena it would already be here and available, because this has come up before.

There is no such feature available. Only way is to bring it up with the kunena developers as a feature we would like to see implemented, over on their forum in the relevant place and perhaps they might do this in the future... i will let kunena know.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014 16:32 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, Orangeaid, Seaic, Timesarrow

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 16:47 #15

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
novum wrote:
If there was a block/ignore feature available in kunena it would already be here and available, because this has come up before.

There is no such feature available. Only way is to bring it up with the kunena developers as a feature we would like to see implemented, over on their forum in the relevant place and perhaps they might do this in the future... i will let kunena know.

That would be great Novum, thanks :)
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 17:00 #16

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18938
  • Likes received: 8925
Timesarrow wrote:
novum wrote:
If there was a block/ignore feature available in kunena it would already be here and available, because this has come up before.

There is no such feature available. Only way is to bring it up with the kunena developers as a feature we would like to see implemented, over on their forum in the relevant place and perhaps they might do this in the future... i will let kunena know.

That would be great Novum, thanks :)

I cant promise anything, but i will make a thread there and keep bumping it. :yup:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Timesarrow

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 17:01 #17

  • PFIZIPFEI
  • PFIZIPFEI's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
  • Posts: 20381
  • Likes received: 7951
What, if I block - let's say for example android replicant - and someone quotes him.
Will I see his comment in the quote?

Silent readers, who are no members, will not be able to block someone,
so from the outside the impression of this forum will be the same
and I do think that I would be repelled by those in question
if I were not already a member!
"The truth must be repeated over and over again,
because error is repeatedly preached among us, not
only by individuals, but by the masses. In periodicals
and cyclopaedias, in schools and universities; every-
where, in fact, error prevails, and is quite easy in the
feeling that it has a decided majority on its side."

~ J. W. v. Goethe

Johannes Lang "The Hollow World Theory" Blog
My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014 17:04 by PFIZIPFEI.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Timesarrow

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 17:02 #18

  • Frog
  • Frog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
  • Posts: 2072
  • Likes received: 1701
To answer your question there is no ignore feature available for the forum application so it's not an option we could implement period.

The main problem with ignore systems is the fact that the quote system overrides the ignore function. Which means you generally get to see the nonsense the person your ignoring posts despite the fact you have them on an ignore list. Another side effect of that is that you only get to see partial fragments of what they actually said which may actually lead to more frustrations and misunderstandings unnecessarily as a result.

Swings and roundabouts! ;)

The PM has an option which allows members to block or report other members from sending them PM or report spam. Please note that the admins can't read the contents of a reported PM due to the encryption system. If you want us to be able to read content you would need to quote it in a PM sent to an admin.

As for the issue of trolls etc. personally I have never felt the need to use the ignore button on any forum where it has been available. I like to be my own censor which I can adjust accordingly. Someone may be considered a troll in one thread while having a valid opinion or information in another which I would miss if allowed the system to ignored them completely on my behalf.

Trolls are simply making a statement about themselves and people that play with them tend to show an unattractive side of themselves in the process all of which helps form a mental impression of all concerned. The aim of the troll is to tempt otherwise intelligent people into an unintelligent course of action and it seems all too easy for them at times. The answer is to understand their game and intentions and not allow yourself to be drawn in. I know that is easier said than done but once you get the hang of it it's easy and you will never be troubles by a troll again. ;) You effectively starve them of oxygen and the parasite perishes as it fades away into obscurity.

If I see a trolls avatar or screen name I can skip their post or just glance at the parts which are free of fallacies such as ad hominem's etc. the fallacies are evidence that there is no substance so it's safe to move on.

I agree that trolling puts people that don't have a tick skin off. That is part of the trolls strategy and may actually be the real intention in some circumstances. If people deal with the trolls rationally they lose their potency and the whole environment becomes more friendly enough for more sensitive folk to get involved.

The answer is to use your knowledge of how trolls function and use that knowledge to render them null 'n void, which in reality takes no effort - literally. :chuckle:

If people play with trolls then they have actually lost. Keeping that in mind is like garlic to a vampire or a silver bullet to a werewolf and tumble weed to trolls. :chuckle: :cool:

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Zephirop, Jagged Hope, Timesarrow

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 17:05 #19

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18938
  • Likes received: 8925
PFIZIPFEI wrote:
What, if I block - let's say for example android replicant - and someone quotes him.
Will I see his comment in the quote?

There is no block feature so i cant answer that! :P :hahano:

However that was an issue with vbulletin wasnt it? Like what the DIF platform is. I cant see an easy way to get around that for any forum tbh, because when someone is quoted, it is simply seen as text in the quoters post by the database, so unless the person who quoted is blocked too, i think it would have to show.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI

Block Button - Kunena User block / ignore feature 12 Jun 2014 17:17 #20

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Frog wrote:
To answer your question there is no ignore feature available for the forum application so it's not an option we could implement period.

The main problem with ignore systems is the fact that the quote system overrides the ignore function. Which means you generally get to see the nonsense the person your ignoring posts despite the fact you have them on an ignore list. Another side effect of that is that you only get to see partial fragments of what they actually said which may actually lead to more frustrations and misunderstandings unnecessarily as a result.

Swings and roundabouts! ;)

The PM has an option which allows members to block or report other members from sending them PM or report spam. Please note that the admins can't read the contents of a reported PM due to the encryption system. If you want us to be able to read content you would need to quote it in a PM sent to an admin.

As for the issue of trolls etc. personally I have never felt the need to use the ignore button on any forum where it has been available. I like to be my own censor which I can adjust accordingly. Someone may be considered a troll in one thread while having a valid opinion or information in another which I would miss if allowed the system to ignored them completely on my behalf.

Trolls are simply making a statement about themselves and people that play with them tend to show an unattractive side of themselves in the process all of which helps form a mental impression of all concerned. The aim of the troll is to tempt otherwise intelligent people into an unintelligent course of action and it seems all too easy for them at times. The answer is to understand their game and intentions and not allow yourself to be drawn in. I know that is easier said than done but once you get the hang of it it's easy and you will never be troubles by a troll again. ;) You effectively starve them of oxygen and the parasite perishes as it fades away into obscurity.

If I see a trolls avatar or screen name I can skip their post or just glance at the parts which are free of fallacies such as ad hominem's etc. the fallacies are evidence that there is no substance so it's safe to move on.

I agree that trolling puts people that don't have a tick skin off. That is part of the trolls strategy and may actually be the real intention in some circumstances. If people deal with the trolls rationally they lose their potency and the whole environment becomes more friendly enough for more sensitive folk to get involved.

The answer is to use your knowledge of how trolls function and use that knowledge to render them null 'n void, which in reality takes no effort - literally. :chuckle:

If people play with trolls then they have actually lost. Keeping that in mind is like garlic to a vampire or a silver bullet to a werewolf and tumble weed to trolls. :chuckle: :cool:

I see just what you're saying Frog, and it's a very valid perspective.

However, as I said earlier - having a block button would not mean anyone who didn't want to had to use it. I never used it at DIF, purely because the trolls tended to get drowned out by all the other posters. On a more "exclusive" forum like this, their voices can seem louder and more over-representative. The overall quality of posting here is higher, but there's the rub - so is the overall volume of trolls. Swings and roundabouts, as you say.

So just because I don't want to waste my energy having knee-jerk responses to them (and sure, I can control what I write, but I can't help personally feeling annoyed, and then the knock-on demotivating effects that has), I'd rather block them. I know it's not perfect because of the quoting system, but it's better than nothing, and I'm prepared to take my chances missing whatever pearls of wisdom they may deliver elsewhere! This is not about blocking people who disagree with me - for instance, I would have no intention of blocking Thoreau, even though we disagree on just about everything - but just about putting my own personal time and energy to best effect and not being waylaid and demotivated by trolls.
Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014 17:19 by Timesarrow.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare
Powered by Kunena Forum

Annual Server Target

Whether its 50 cents or five dollars, your donations are appreciated and help keep this community site running so we can all continue to enjoy using it.
This target is to meet our server cost for one year, June 2020 - May 2021, in USD.
$ 340 - Target
( £ 250 GBP )
donation thermometer
donation thermometer
$ 192 - Raised
( £ 140 GBP )
donation thermometer
56%
Most Recent Donation $122 USD
4th January 2021
Bitcoin Address: bc1q0kazqya0nurfxtunxv807vm0m8852nnrrk8mj8
 
Ethereum Address: 0xe69915c80dd75df19f438d556267e04f932f057d
 
More Info: Donation options for TZ
 

No one is obliged to donate, please only donate what you can afford. Even the smallest amount helps. Being an active member is a positive contribution. Thank You.