Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.

TOPIC: Tagging people in posts

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 21:26 #1

• Timesarrow
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Hello everyone,

I wondered what your thoughts were on a 'tagging' system, similar to Facebook's, so we could 'tag' other members in posts to draw their attention? E.g. often if I make a post I'd like to know what certain members think of it, but it's a bit of a hassle to PM them all, so wondered whether it would be possible to 'tag' them, then they'd get a notification and know to read the post?

I also think I miss out on interesting threads myself because I don't know they're here and typically only look at two or three sub-forums, so it might help expand my horizons a bit as well.

Thoughts?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 21:51 #2

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
I have no idea what you are talking about because I don't use Facebook :conf:

I thought tagging was about spraying graffiti...... :emb: :D

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 21:56 #3

• Timesarrow
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Jagged Hope wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about because I don't use Facebook :conf:

I thought tagging was about spraying graffiti...... :emb: :D

Haha, sorry - okay, what it means is writing someone's name in a post so it hyperlinks to them, and they get a notification. So if I wrote in a post "what do you think of this, Jagged Hope?, a little notification would pop up on your screen (like the PM notification) alerting you to the fact you'd been mentioned in a post, giving you a direct link to it.

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:02 #4

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Timesarrow wrote:

Haha, sorry - okay, what it means is writing someone's name in a post so it hyperlinks to them, and they get a notification. So if I wrote in a post "what do you think of this, Jagged Hope?, a little notification would pop up on your screen (like the PM notification) alerting you to the fact you'd been mentioned in a post, giving you a direct link to it.

Oh, well I quite like that.

The only problem would be if someone was doing it maliciously ie say this "what do you think of this, Jagged Hope?" in a sarcastic tone and then lead me on a merry dance all over the forum... :chuckle:

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:05 #5

• Timesarrow
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:

The only problem would be if someone was doing it maliciously ie say this "what do you think of this, Jagged Hope?" in a sarcastic tone and then lead me on a merry dance all over the forum... :chuckle:

That's why we need the other thing I proposed - the ignore button ;)

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:12 #6

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Timesarrow wrote:

:D

I already did this...

]
User(s) who Liked this post: Timesarrow

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:38 #7

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
That would be a cool feature the http://xenforo.com/ forum package offers that functionality I'm not sure which other developers offer it though. We would have to migrate from this system to an alternative to get the ignore and tag system which isn't on the roadmap at this time sorry.

Maybe Novum could ask the question in the Kunena forums and point them to the guys developing http://xenforo.com/?

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:39 #8

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Timesarrow wrote:
Hello everyone,

I wondered what your thoughts were on a 'tagging' system, similar to Facebook's, so we could 'tag' other members in posts to draw their attention? E.g. often if I make a post I'd like to know what certain members think of it, but it's a bit of a hassle to PM them all, so wondered whether it would be possible to 'tag' them, then they'd get a notification and know to read the post?

Something like that would have to exist first, if it did it would be an optional plug in thats available and can integrate with the forum. Id have to look into it but i dont like your chances of something like that existing. There is nothing like that as part of the forum as it comes standard, no.

Timesarrow wrote:
I also think I miss out on interesting threads myself because I don't know they're here and typically only look at two or three sub-forums, so it might help expand my horizons a bit as well.

I use the 'recent' button often to browse the forum... all of the active threads then appear in chronological order, newest reply first, no matter what category.

truth-zone.net/forum/recent.html

Infact kunenas default setting out of the box is to have the 'recent' page as the forum home page, rather than the category list as it is now when you press index.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:48 #9

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Jagged Hope wrote:
I already did this...

]

You just gave me a Bernie Winters flashback which is most unpleasant and one I wish I could have ignored. :O :nono:

What a talentless ****, Schnorbit was a class act though. :)

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014 22:50 by Frog.

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:51 #10

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
^^^^^^
Admitting that I get that reference would obscure my obvious spring chicken-ness...... :wissl:

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:54 #11

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Jagged Hope wrote:
^^^^^^
Admitting that I get that reference would obscure my obvious spring chicken-ness...... :wissl:

Cooked 'n Goose spring to mind. :ponda:

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 22:56 #12

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Frog wrote:
Jagged Hope wrote:
^^^^^^

Cooked 'n Goose spring to mind. :ponda:

Sorry no time to answer Frog, I'll be late for my twerking class... :yerright:

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 23:02 #13

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
No need to rush off - here ya go...

Mind you don't do any mischief while trying to stay hip. :cool2:

It's more like air motorcycling for biker groupies. :O

Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014 23:07 by Frog.

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 23:06 #14

• Jagged Hope
  • Fresh Member
Frog wrote:

Mind you don't any mischief staying hip. :cool2:

I'm more likely to break one, frankly, Frog...... :chuckle:

Tagging people in posts 15 Jun 2014 23:11 #15

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
Jagged Hope wrote:
Frog wrote:

Mind you don't any mischief staying hip. :cool2:

I'm more likely to break one, frankly, Frog...... :chuckle:

Maybe you should just sit down with a nice cup u tea 'n a slice of cake, and watch some of your Mike ''n Bernie Winters 8mm cyni reels or betamax tapes. :hahano:

Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014 23:12 by Frog.

Tagging people in posts 30 Jun 2014 04:08 #16

• zax
  • Gold Member
Timesarrow wrote:
Jagged Hope wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:

Scrolling by the posts of interlopers and those members that you do not care for works quite well.You tend to see posts if they are quoted anyway,and if a thread has pages of derailing posts it is usually spotted by mods/admins and dealt with in due time,at least it is here.
And there is always the feedback section or pms to voice concern or offer input on things.
I recall on DIF there were members being bullied but had the punks on ignore,so the punks would have even more fun trolling and derailing,and trying to bait the member to take them off ignore by saying things in posts to them and having a fellow troll quote the post.

I myself have never used the ignore function anywhere.
Some find it useful.
I will say it is best to be well informed of what's going on so that you can help keep a forum an interesting and informative place

Right now I don't see many jokesters that are here to troll.But several SZ members that have nothing to do or talk about on that tumbleweeds forum so come here to bait and derail with the occasional on topic post here and there.

They pull out the free speech card when called out.Or like to critque the forum although they have their own that is supposedly a better run place.Yet there is not much going on there the past year.Circle jerlks of a few members and and dwindling onime members and viewers.

The baitng threads started on reliigon by two of them are easily ignored by not clicking on any of them.Those threads should be in the Anthroplogy section which states religion and spirituality under the title,but then the members here wouldn't take the bait.

And to be honest if the bait wasn't taken they would get bored and go back to their homebase.But feeding the troll is something some folks do no matter how many times admins/mods and fellow members advise against it.
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2014 04:10 by zax.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare