Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

 
PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.

TOPIC: Language filter bullshit.

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 10:49 #1

  • Zephirop
  • Zephirop's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 782
  • Likes received: 458
Title speaks for itself really...why can't we swear like adults anymore?

Treating adults like children is what the DIF does...now I don't want the freedom to insult people...but non offensive, none directed swearing should be something that adults are able to do.

Where's the 'truth' in petty aesthetic censorship?
Trapped looking back at love through a one way mirror.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: sketti

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 11:50 #2

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 17000
  • Likes received: 7929
Well it targets phrases usually directed towards others. It can keep things somewhat civil all else being equal without moderators manually having to tidy shit up. (more work). That was the point of it, and it acts instantly which obviously results in less verbal abuse directed towards members when its being dished out.

It wont censor a number of individual fuck words etc. But some it will.

Im happy to have a debate/thread about it all, see what peoples opinions are.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2014 11:53 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 12:19 #3

  • Frog
  • Frog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
  • Posts: 2072
  • Likes received: 1701
It also prevents our search results from being full of abusive language which may well prevent people reading content here when people are looking for information. Try doing some random searches for some of the things we discuss and you will probably notice the word filter in action then replace those words with the ones that would be there without it. It probably wouldn't look very inviting to the average person that's looking for answers and see our results mixed in with all the others. :dunno: That's an unintended by product which is very noticeable when you see the results in the search results.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, Seaic, Timesarrow

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 14:45 #4

  • Zephirop
  • Zephirop's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 782
  • Likes received: 458
I can see why you did it...mainly to nullify our kissin' cousins over at the sanctum, they do love the old invective.

I do resent the old 'blooming' however...no-one talks like that....epithets are for the weak...lol

Why not just star it out in the filter? Better I think.
Trapped looking back at love through a one way mirror.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 14:53 #5

  • Zephirop
  • Zephirop's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 782
  • Likes received: 458
Feel free to shunt this thread into that other sub forum that's more for stuff like this.
Trapped looking back at love through a one way mirror.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 22:01 #6

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 17000
  • Likes received: 7929
Zephirop wrote:
I do resent the old 'blooming' however...no-one talks like that....:

True, but admittedly it was set like that intentionally to discourage people from using certain words and phrases.

No one wants to look like they use the word blooming, so , that was kind of the point. :chuckle:

Zephirop wrote:
Why not just star it out in the filter? Better I think.

It couldve gone that way, went with the all things flower theme instead in the end.

I'll think about it i suppose, i do accept that it is more representative of what a poster was wanting to convey if the intended word is displayed, albeit starred out.

Few responses here too (well none if you dont count the OP and two mods) , so im not sure what others would prefer. I can guess that some likely want it left alone, and on the other end of that some dont want it at all.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic

Language filter bullshit. 29 Jun 2014 23:42 #7

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
Well it's no secret I'm part responsible for this filter and still disagree with it entirely, on the basis that I don't believe people who frequent forums, or the web for that matter, are that easily butthurt.

From where I'm sitting, some people stamped their feet tantrum style and proceeded to claim offense :roll:

I know that's not an opinion shared by admin here, which is fair enough. But its my opinion and I'm adding it seeing as there's now a thread :)
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:01 #8

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
I like the filter, because unfortunately it's necessary.

Proper adults should be allowed to swear when it suits them, but unfortunately this forum is full of adolescents (many of them in their 40s), who can't construct meaningful arguments and instead like to pollute the forum with long strings of crude, vulgar language in an attempt to 'shock' or 'show off' or something. It's horrible to read, and can leave one feeling shaken up and assaulted.

They do it to intimidate and shut down debate, and it's a form of bullying. Therefore I fully approve of the filter, however what I'd prefer (and I know it's being looked into) is an ignore button, and then I could just switch the adolescents off.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:08 #9

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 17000
  • Likes received: 7929
sketti wrote:
I know that's not an opinion shared by admin here, which is fair enough. But its my opinion and I'm adding it seeing as there's now a thread :)

Language like that isnt for everybody.. i think Frog has a point about how it can look on search results and to outsiders.

You will see heated debate in many areas and about many topics on television, or in schools, universities etc, even in politics of course where personal name calling and taking the mick comes with it at times, but rarely do you see profanities used in all of the aforementioed situations.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic, Timesarrow

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:22 #10

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
Timesarrow wrote:
Proper adults should be allowed to swear when it suits them,


Agreed.


in an attempt to 'shock' or 'show off' or something.




Again with the assuming you know everything when you obviously have no idea of what you're talking about :roll:



It's horrible to read, and can leave one feeling shaken up and assaulted.
.




Please bu*tch :gleek:

*i


Shaken up and assaulted? You're having a fkin laugh :D


it's a form of bullying



:ganda:



Your version of how people should live their lives is all to clear to me TS and it's almost tragic that you fail to see yourself how controlling you would be given half the chance. :roll:
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2014 00:42 by sketti.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:28 #11

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
novum wrote:
Language like that isnt for everybody..


There's alot of things that aren't for everybody.



i think Frog has a point about how it can look on search results and to outsiders.


Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it ... but I can live with it :P
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:32 #12

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 17000
  • Likes received: 7929
sketti wrote:
Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it

Of course you wouldnt, heck youre probably still kicking yourself for not being ahead of the curve when the web came to be and securing the rights to daisy.com
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:32 #13

  • Seaic
  • Seaic's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 1915
  • Likes received: 2150
sketti wrote:
Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it ... but I can live with it :P

And if you couldn't, you've got your own forum to go to, so you could stop trolling ours. :yup:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:44 #14

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
novum wrote:
sketti wrote:
Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it

Of course you wouldnt, heck youre probably still kicking yourself for not being ahead of the curve when the web came to be and securing the rights to daisy.com


Wasted opportunitys innit :coffee:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 00:46 #15

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
Seaic wrote:
sketti wrote:
Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it ... but I can live with it :P

And if you couldn't, you've got your own forum to go to, so you could stop trolling ours. :yup:





:thumbup:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 01:35 #16

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
sketti wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:
Proper adults should be allowed to swear when it suits them,


Agreed.


in an attempt to 'shock' or 'show off' or something.




Again with the assuming you know everything when you obviously have no idea of what you're talking about :roll:



It's horrible to read, and can leave one feeling shaken up and assaulted.
.




Please bu*tch :gleek:

*i


Shaken up and assaulted? You're having a fkin laugh :D


it's a form of bullying



:ganda:



Your version of how people should live their lives is all to clear to me TS and it's almost tragic that you fail to see yourself how controlling you would be given half the chance. :roll:

Yet you managed to write a whole post without swearing, Sketti :O

People like you need to be controlled, and I would be very happy to live in a society where that happened.

When did "control" become a pejorative anyway? But then for someone such as yourself, who relishes and boasts about their lack of it, and lack of self-restraint, discipline, being a slave to base pleasures etc etc, I suppose it is.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 01:36 #17

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
Seaic wrote:
sketti wrote:
Yes, he did and I understand it. just don't agree with it ... but I can live with it :P

And if you couldn't, you've got your own forum to go to, so you could stop trolling ours. :yup:

It's boring for her isn't it - no-one on it :chuckle:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 02:20 #18

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
Timesarrow wrote:

People like you need to be controlled, and I would be very happy to live in a society where that happened.



:roll: ... is that so.


Shame you ain't ever going to have the pleasure of controlling someone like me and as much as it pains you inside, it in turn makes me laugh in your fking face.
Although I do now pity anyone who's unfortunately around you in the real world. Can't imagine what that must be like to live with.

When did "control" become a pejorative anyway? But then for someone such as yourself, who relishes and boasts about their lack of it, and lack of self-restraint, discipline, being a slave to base pleasures etc etc, I suppose it is.


Thin ground you're on there TS as that's beginning to sound like you're jealous because you don't know how to be anything other than controlling.

Well sorry... but I can't help you ;)
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Language filter bullshit. 30 Jun 2014 16:30 #19

  • Timesarrow
  • Timesarrow's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Posts: 776
  • Likes received: 946
sketti wrote:
Timesarrow wrote:

People like you need to be controlled, and I would be very happy to live in a society where that happened.



:roll: ... is that so.


Shame you ain't ever going to have the pleasure of controlling someone like me and as much as it pains you inside, it in turn makes me laugh in your fking face.
Although I do now pity anyone who's unfortunately around you in the real world. Can't imagine what that must be like to live with.

When did "control" become a pejorative anyway? But then for someone such as yourself, who relishes and boasts about their lack of it, and lack of self-restraint, discipline, being a slave to base pleasures etc etc, I suppose it is.


Thin ground you're on there TS as that's beginning to sound like you're jealous because you don't know how to be anything other than controlling.

Well sorry... but I can't help you ;)

You've got me Sketti. I'm jealous of you. You're just so... er.... (*scrabbles to find a single interesting or worthwhile trait Sketti has*)... good at using GIFs!!

You're boring and stupid. No wonder you have to boast constantly about how much sex you have ( :roll: ), as you're certainly not good for anything else. Was that a way you found you could get some attention and people to pretend they liked you for a little while Sketti?

Poor, used, discarded Sketti.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Seaic, Avacyn

Language filter bullshit. 06 Jul 2014 03:17 #20

  • sketti
  • sketti's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 893
  • Likes received: 227
Timesarrow wrote:

You've got me Sketti. I'm jealous of you. You're just so... er.... (*scrabbles to find a single interesting or worthwhile trait Sketti has*)... good at using GIFs!!

You're boring and stupid. No wonder you have to boast constantly about how much sex you have ( :roll: ), as you're certainly not good for anything else. Was that a way you found you could get some attention and people to pretend they liked you for a little while Sketti?

Poor, used, discarded Sketti.


Oh you are a class A fuck ain't ya :D

Show me where I've constantly mentioned how much sex I've had.... go on.... :roll:


Keep posting TS, showing your true colours more and more as the weeks pass by :thumbup:
Last Edit: 06 Jul 2014 03:21 by sketti.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare
Powered by Kunena Forum

Annual Server Target

Whether its 50 cents or five dollars, your donations are appreciated and help keep this community site running so we can all continue to enjoy using it. Secure transactions via paypal.
This target is to meet our server cost for one year, June 2019 - May 2020, in USD.
$ 340 - Target
( £ 278 GBP )
donation thermometer
donation thermometer
$ 160 - Raised
( £ 130 GBP )
donation thermometer
47%
Updated
2nd October 2019

No one is obliged to donate, please only donate what you can afford. Even the smallest amount helps. Being an active member is a positive contribution. Thank You.