Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Mem­ber feed­back is appre­ci­ated! Don’t be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site bet­ter and more user friendly for our members.

TOPIC: why is this site slow?

why is this site slow? 14 May 2019 23:28 #21

• novum
  • Platinum Member
This site also doesnt have a mobile view which I know is an issue, as so many people use phones now.

Im kind of old school and really dont want to browse online using a phone, i use a laptop, but I know a lot of people want to use phones now and that I am a dinosaur.

I think the newest version of Kunena is built to also work better with phones, again it would need a suitable joomla template for it to all work also.

This template seemed to not work correctly when the mobile view stuff was turned on , so its all been disabled, what you see on desktop is what you get on phone, as the phone view had issues.
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.
- Compressions 13.3:1
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

why is this site slow? 14 May 2019 23:41 #22

• OpenMind
  • Fresh Member
I believe keeping the site on modern software is important because otherwise you inevitably run into compatibility and upgrade issues. I'm a web developer myself and have a couple of dedicated servers for my site so I have a lot of hosting and coding experience, but I don't have a lot of BB experience. I did set up a phpBB site recently but found it very clunky and unreliable. I then switched to MyBB and found it very easy to use. There's also a large support community for MyBB. It might be worth looking into.

There's this company that specializes in migrating Kunena forums to MyBB: profprojects.com/migrate-kunena-forum-to-mybb/. If this is something you're interested in doing, let me know as I'd be willing to help with the cost. They have a basic price list on that page, but you can also ask for a more personal quote using their form.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 00:19 #23

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I do think the hosting is the first thing that should be addressed tbh, I see that as the main issue, and what is slowing the site down. For example if we migrated to MyBB or anything else and left the hosting as it is, the same thing would occur, it would be slow.

You would struggle to find a site like this where there are hundreds of visitors pouring in all the time, with such modest hosting on a shared server. Our webhosts pull the site up for using too many resources and have told me I should have a dedicated server or VPS.

When the sanctum zone site was not on this server and hosted independently on a different server, it was faster, and didnt have the resource restrictions that our webhosts place on this site.

I find Kunena intuitivie and easy to use, and its also not failed us for almost 7 years now and not had any kinds of major faults, it has been relatively flawless.... again i feel the hosting is the main culprit, and I also never liked this joomla template, once installed it was apparent that it was slow, slower than the previous template (which had become obsolete vs joomla 3.0 requirements) ... i dont think the Kunena side of things is to blame.

That said, if the hosting was upgraded and the latest version of kunena was installed on a lighter better performing joomla template, and the site still seemed to have issues, im not against migrating to another forum platform. Im just not sure its the first step tbh, the hosting and template need attention. I do find time eventually but right now im very busy elsewhere.

I agree the site should be kept up to date, this was occuring until this template became too old, again i simply dont have the time at the moment.

One reason we used joomla was that it is CMS and Frog had plans for the site to be more than just a forum, ie article submissions and so on, that side of things never really caught on though. There was a time when a few people would submit articles and so on, but those people move on.

It is Joomla and the CMS that handles all of the user registrations and so on, if the forum was migrated to another kind of forum, the other parts of the site would probably have to be dropped, and the site be just a forum, or else it would need a work and know how to integrate it.... as it is now, the joomla CMS and kunena were created to work with one another.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 00:28 #24

• OpenMind
  • Fresh Member
Realistically speaking though, upgrading the server and switching the software are typically something you would do at the same time as on a new server you can install the new software at your leisure without affecting the existing site. You could take as much time as you want to get the new server up and running, and when you're ready just move the data over regardless of what software is on the new server. You'll just have to decide what software you want to use.

Of course, if there's no time, there's no time, but your webhost probably offers a service to migrate everything over to a faster server so you don't have to do it. Then instead of time, you only need money. :-)

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 01:00 #25

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Sure, its all about the benjamins when it comes to hosting.

If we put ourselves in a position where more $$$ are needed to run the site year in year out, and the $$$ dont come in, we can put ourselves in an unsustainable position, and this is why i just dont upgrade the hosting, because of the ongoing cost going forward.

This is why Ive dragged my heels on this, as i never really signed up for having the burden of thousands of dollars a year in expenses here on me, it all kind of fell on my lap when Diamondgeezer passed away and Frog stepped down. And although some others have wanted to take the site and/or oust me (especially because of the jew stuff posted here, they couldnt tolerate that) ... im adamant if I had not stepped up, the site would already be gone, just like sanctum zone, which only exists now because of me.

And those who wanted the site 'toned down' , ie censored, had absolutely no tech idea whatsoever, as bad as I am they were worse. :hahano:

And we are still here at least, with most people being able to write what they want for the most part and within reason.

This is why ive considered some cloud hosting options which could improve the situation for around the same money as what we have now, if their claims are true.

The joomla and kunena stuff can be updated with a press of a button in the backend, however right now the template is old so that has to be changed to be compatible with all the latest updates.

Not a big deal to do but again the main issue is display inconsistencies which needs time with css.

I know it is much easier to just have a forum, and do away with the CMS side of things, then you dont have display issues as they run stand alone as they are and arent inside a template than can clash in places.

Id prefer to do something about the hosting first, and at that time upgrade joomla and kunena... and then if it was slow consider migrating to a different forum.

Because with all said and done, ive seen sanctum zone running fast on very outdated joomla 2.5 and a 5 year old version of kunena, and with nothing updated in the backend, ( the backend is full of update notices for just about everything including joomla, kunena, all the plug ins and so on :larf: ) ... it worked well simply because it was on a better server. (now it is on this server, but Im referring to a time when it was on another one and run by others, the server was simply better, faster and more accomodating re. resource usage)

Also, my understanding regarding Joomla updates is that it is mostly for security, so that hackers cant find their way in and so on. I cant say ive really ever seen or felt a performance improvement after updating anything.... if anything, stuff just tends to get more bloated and heavier in a code sense as time passes.

There are some really established forums out there still running vbulletin 3 that work exceptionally well however they have hosting that is in the thousands per year. And many of those just dont want to update to vbulletin 4+ as they feel it gives no advantages.. anyway...

Again it all comes back to the hosting imo, that is the main culprit, i know we get pulled up on resources, it tells me so in cpanel and ive spoken to the webhosts about it, again their response is, a site like this needs upgraded hosting or deal with the brakes they apply.
Last Edit: 15 May 2019 01:04 by novum.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 01:08 #26

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Also, the AUD has absolutely tanked the past few years, and its going to get worse as the economy stalls, so my money has become rather worthless vs USD and euro/pound the past few years.

So this does not help my position either if I am the one left holding the ball.

When the forum had its quiet times I was covering the hosting bill for quite a many months fees on and off over the years, especially for a little while after DG died, some people chipped in then and generously helped out,but after that the forum went very quiet, and nothing for a long time.

But when this occured my money was just about parity with USD, now its a banana currency. And it will surely get worse before it gets better.

I do understand that people get frustrated with a slow site, I get that, im not quite sure that is the reason people come and go though, because it is often said and also demonstrable that forums are on the decline as they are dropped for other apps, namely social media.

So with that trend in mind I dont exactly have confidence in rising costs here being sustainable.
Last Edit: 15 May 2019 01:13 by novum.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 03:41 #27

• OpenMind
  • Fresh Member
I get the whole social media thing, but I must be a forum junkie because if I can't converse with people about issues that are important to me I get really bad withdrawal symptoms. :larf: Maybe it's because the people in my real life don't like to talk about stuff, so I have to find those people online. Maybe I'm a dying breed. Maybe it's all devolving from actual discussion into "drive by insults" in 140 characters or less, but that's not me.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 16:24 #28

• Firestarter
  • Fresh Member
  • The Latin translation for “witch” = MAGA
novum wrote:
You would struggle to find a site like this where there are hundreds of visitors pouring in all the time, with such modest hosting on a shared server. Our webhosts pull the site up for using too many resources and have told me I should have a dedicated server or VPS.
There are many ways to destroy the performance of a site on an overused server. Simply lower the priority of its requests compared to the others.

Regularly I see at the bottom of this forum that are some 950-1000 “users” online.
That would be a lot. I can compare this for example to Ronpaulforums.com that when I checked today has only 272 “users” online. Ronpaulforums.com is an American forum for an American politician (so the peak times for the largest amount of “users” would be different).

On Ronpaulforums.com many threads get lots of views. On the “old” davidicke.com I regularly started threads that got more than 150 views the first day before being blocked from the internet search results (and the views plumetting).

On this forum threads get hardly any views (about 5 views per post)...
There are a few exceptions that get more views (“Pepe the frog” comes to mind).
Yesterday I did an internet search for the New Zealand mosque shooting, but the “big thread” wasn’t even found (instead a short thread named something like “NZ false flag shooting” was found)

I would like to know what these “users” online are. If this would be the amount of “users” in the last 24 hours this would explain the lack of views.

Today I (again) got the message “Resource Limit Is Reached”...
Donald Trump is very cozy with the Rothschild crime syndicate: www.lawfulpath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1038&start=40#p4587

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 20:36 #29

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Many of the forums I hang in are a bit slow sometimes, but TZ is no worse than them and I can live with it.
The 'Resource Limit' message thing is a bit annoying but as long as we've saved our post before trying to post it, there's no harm done because we can just come back and post it later.
Without a doubt, TZ is one of the best forums I've seen, and I've donated because it's totally free speech with good mods, unlike many other forums whose mods are total krap, I've lost count of the ones I've been banned from or walked out of.
The latest was the New Fortean forum which I walked out of earlier this year because the mods were lefty Trump-hating pol-correct libtard mushbrains..:)
Last Edit: 15 May 2019 20:37 by Ugh.
User(s) who Liked this post: OpenMind

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 20:42 #30

• OpenMind
  • Fresh Member
I got the same message.

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 20:57 #31

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Incidentally about 4 years ago I was a member at Icke's forum for a few months but eventually walked out because it was too big with everybody posting at once at a phenomenal rate and you couldn't hear yourself think, it was like a madhouse..:)

why is this site slow? 15 May 2019 23:29 #32

• novum
  • Platinum Member
OpenMind wrote:
I get the whole social media thing, but I must be a forum junkie because if I can't converse with people about issues that are important to me I get really bad withdrawal symptoms. :larf: Maybe it's because the people in my real life don't like to talk about stuff, so I have to find those people online. Maybe I'm a dying breed. Maybe it's all devolving from actual discussion into "drive by insults" in 140 characters or less, but that's not me.

I agree about the forum format being better to express oneself... between the character limits on some social media, and the layout, it is not something that I will ever prefer over forums.

And I will eventually do something about the site, I have spent many hours of my spare time in the past keeping it updated etc over the years, and this will occur again, I will eventually try to improve its performance, (probably with a hosting upgrade first and foremost) and may call on you for assistance so I appreciate the offer to lend a hand.

Ive been thrown a few curve balls lately which have eaten up more time than I wouldve liked, that hasnt left much time for the site but I expect this to cycle eventually and the site will get some attention, as I too as am frustrated with its performance and 'resource limits' as much as the next person.

Firestarter wrote:
There are many ways to destroy the performance of a site on an overused server. Simply lower the priority of its requests compared to the others.

Regularly I see at the bottom of this forum that are some 950-1000 “users” online.

That would be a lot. I can compare this for example to Ronpaulforums.com that when I checked today has only 272 “users” online. Ronpaulforums.com is an American forum for an American politician (so the peak times for the largest amount of “users” would be different).

On Ronpaulforums.com many threads get lots of views. On the “old” davidicke.com I regularly started threads that got more than 150 views the first day before being blocked from the internet search results (and the views plumetting).

On this forum threads get hardly any views (about 5 views per post)...

There are a few exceptions that get more views (“Pepe the frog” comes to mind).

Yesterday I did an internet search for the New Zealand mosque shooting, but the “big thread” wasn’t even found (instead a short thread named something like “NZ false flag shooting” was found)

I would like to know what these “users” online are. If this would be the amount of “users” in the last 24 hours this would explain the lack of views.

Today I (again) got the message “Resource Limit Is Reached”...

The resource limit reached is our webhosts putting the brakes on the site. Heres a screenshot I just took from cpanel. And this occurs every day now.

The webhosts response is 'upgrade your hosting' .... which again boils down to more $$$. Or I find a hosting solution thatwill give us better performance for the same dollars.

The visitors are actually live per session numbers, so current, not 24 hours.

There is an incessant non stop stream of people clicking through to here from search engines.

Most visitors come from google, (the overwhelming majority unfortunately, im no fan of google) and it is usually to read a specific topic they searched for or obtain an image they searched for, and it tends to be the same threads over and over that get the most incoming, most often the long existing ones that come up higher on searches. Newer threads arent found by engines as easily, they lack content and time/age.

The overwhelming majority of this sites visitors come from search engine phrases where they are looking for a very specific word string, or an image, so we tend to get more visitors on threads that seem to rank higher on search engines, and this effect compounds over time, so a handful of threads get streams of readers and others not so much.

Here are this months top search phrases that resulted in visitors to TZ, and almost all of these people used google to get here.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Im guessing a site like Ickes which is more well known actually has many people browsing the site because they know the site exists, and are looking for new threads etc so its a different situation to here.

Most people in the truth arena know Icke, whereas most people dont know TZ, so getting visitors to this place is a bit of pot luck and relies on search engines, rather than, lets pop on TZ and see whats going on. Most dont know TZ exists, again everyone who is into truth/conspiracy or whatever one wishes to name it, knows of Icke and many of those would know there is a forum. Thats how I even got started on this stuff, watching David Icke talk, then finding his forum.

I had also done a fair bit of SEO back in the day and propagated links to TZ elsewhere, this also occcurs organically over time, and as the site aged the stream of visitors increased.

We just need different or better / more accomodating hosting now, the 'Resource Limits' imposed on TZ are too restrictive.

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 00:46 #33

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
novum wrote:
And I will eventually do something about the site, I have spent many hours of my spare time in the past keeping it updated etc over the years, and this will occur again, I will eventually try to improve its performance, (probably with a hosting upgrade first and foremost) and may call on you for assistance so I appreciate the offer to lend a hand.
...We just need different or better / more accomodating hosting now, the 'Resource Limits' imposed on TZ are too restrictive.

Do whatever you want mate, my donation cash is waiting.
Incidentally TZ looks great (colours/ fonts/ graphics/ overall layout etc) compared to some shitty-looking cheapskate forums out there, so if you ever switch to a totally new host, make sure TZ still looks as good..:)

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 01:27 #34

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback... Id also like the forum to remain pretty much as is in the looks department, it is a little bit different to many bland looking forums.

This Kunena forum is inherently similar to vbulletin 3 forums in how they look, and admittedly ive even styled it further to even more resemble vbulletin 3. (vbulletin needs a license fee paid yearly thats more than our hosting, then you still need hosting, thats why we didnt use vbulletin from the beginning)

I know when some sites upgraded to vbulletin 4 that people didnt like it, others drag their heels and stay on vbulletin 3 to keep the look and feel the same, its perhaps a tad 'old school' but nothing wrong with that...so much new stuff just all looks the same, clinical, colourless and boring.

There is a newer version of kunena out however if that is installed, if we eventually upgrade... I can make it look the same as this. That new version of kunena looks roughly the same as the new icke forum out the box, the styling can be altered though to look like this, as i just said, but still have the newer code etc behind the scenes.

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 15:14 #35

• Firestarter
  • Fresh Member
Ugh wrote:
Incidentally about 4 years ago I was a member at Icke's forum for a few months but eventually walked out because it was too big with everybody posting at once at a phenomenal rate and you couldn't hear yourself think, it was like a madhouse..:)
There were only a small amount of threads with lots of posts (usually in the "Today's news" subsection).

The "new" Davidicke.com "social" forum since 1 March is a lot smaller.
And is faster than this one...

One of my problems with the "old" David Icke forum were the huge amount of subforums that made it "impossible" to find anything back.
The "new" "social" David Icke forum for some reason doesn't have all of those subforums.
Donald Trump is very cozy with the Rothschild crime syndicate: www.lawfulpath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1038&start=40#p4587

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 15:20 #36

• Firestarter
  • Fresh Member
novum wrote:
Im guessing a site like Ickes which is more well known actually has many people browsing the site because they know the site exists, and are looking for new threads etc so its a different situation to here.

Most people in the truth arena know Icke, whereas most people dont know TZ, so getting visitors to this place is a bit of pot luck and relies on search engines, rather than, lets pop on TZ and see whats going on. Most dont know TZ exists, again everyone who is into truth/conspiracy or whatever one wishes to name it, knows of Icke and many of those would know there is a forum. Thats how I even got started on this stuff, watching David Icke talk, then finding his forum.
That David Icke's forum gets more views is mainly because of how the "search" engines, that are designed to hide the scandals, favour his forum.

This forum is blatantly blocked by the "search" engines.
novum wrote:
The visitors are actually live per session numbers, so current, not 24 hours.

There is an incessant non stop stream of people clicking through to here from search engines.

Most visitors come from google, (the overwhelming majority unfortunately, im no fan of google) and it is usually to read a specific topic they searched for or obtain an image they searched for, and it tends to be the same threads over and over that get the most incoming, most often the long existing ones that come up higher on searches. Newer threads arent found by engines as easily, they lack content and time/age.
If there are some 1000 “users” online, or at least “hundreds” at any time of the day...
Where are the more than 50,000 views per day of the threads on Truth-zone.net?

When I see some 5 views per post on average, it looks like there are the members, and maybe some fans that look at what is posted. And that´s about it...

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 16:00 #37

• Firestarter
  • Fresh Member
I´ve just done an internet search with: Yemen genocide Houthis starvation Morocco military interventions missile defense system prisons pipeline Al-Mahra province gas fields Hunt Oil Exxon
This should find (the second page of) “my” thread on the Yemen genocide: truth-zone.net/forum/government-and-authority/72001-yemen-the-ignored-genocide.html?start=20

It´s not found with Google.nl, Duckduckgo, Yahoo or Bing (I checked only the first 5 pages of Bing and Yahoo).

why is this site slow? 16 May 2019 22:46 #38

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I know a site like this often wont come up near the pointy end of search results, I get that its been censored/demoted, it wasnt always that way.... but we know what google is, and they just get worse... ie better at using their algorithms to suit themselves and their agendas.

However if you google truth forum or variations of that it comes up high... those two keywords alone consistently rank high each month as bringing people to here, and there are a few more specific phrases where TZ does ok and shows up higher.

Looking in awstats and the other stats tools available to me shows me most visitors still get here from google, it is the #1 referrer by far, and I suppose some people trawl through more pages of results.

I had more complex analytics tools here also but ive since removed them... they were slowing the site down and 3rd parties wanted the data after they updated their stuff, so i uninstalled them. But they also showed me google was the #1 referrer since the forum was created.

Google still brings more people here than anything else including any click through from other sites and more than all the other engines combined. Almost all those search phrases for this month I listed above were done on google and the visits came from click throughs via google. Its the same every month, google is around 90% of search engine referrers, with Bing, duckduckgo and then other more obscure ones making up the rest, like yandex , and yahoo.

For some search phrases TZ will show higher, it just depends on how much competition there is and what google is doing with such phrases, again I have no faith in google being very friendly to a site like this.

It is actually quite disheartening to me that google has that much power, I think the stats for this place probably closely reflect whats going on with the entire internet.. most people just use google. If its 90 percent or so here, thats probably close to what it is everywhere.

And on the views, well if you press 'recent' here, and then scroll down the threads and look at the view counts... you wont see many threads with 5 views.... keep going page after page and it all adds up. There are many threads with thousands of views, more with hundreds, and it adds up to a lot of views.

It is not recent threads people are looking at when they land here, its most often older threads that are buried, the search engines, namely google, arent favouring the newer threads at all and seem to take months to list them... which again is part of their agenda I suppose.

The newest threads wont get many views because google hasnt found them yet or as i suspect, drags its heels to list them, its older threads that get people coming in from google... the site isnt blocked by google entirely, its just demoted.

Google wont easily or often return results for TZ with our newer threads/posts from here, again it used to be better for that, but not anymore. I expected this, its google.

All part of their changing algorithms to weed out undesirable information... this was to be expected, not much I can do about it.

I can make the forum log in only and the visitor count and hence load on the site would drop drastically.... but it reduces the chances of getting new members interested plus of course blocks information from being seen, I dont really want to do that as i feel its counterproductive.

Im not really fussed with visitor numbers other than of course wanting people to wake up a bit if possible, that is my only "agenda" .... not selling anything here, freedom of speech and the flow of information was/is my agenda.

TZ wont get any love from the likes of google in terms of ranking high for many topics and especially more recent/new topics, but the irony remains that TZ is so unknown, google still brings more people here by chance than anything else. :facepalm:

why is this site slow? 18 May 2019 19:24 #39

• Frothy
  • Platinum Member
  • True life is elsewhere
So it's Google's fault this forum is slow, or are you off on a tangent?
Once a hyena always a hyena.
Last Edit: 18 May 2019 19:29 by Frothy.

why is this site slow? 19 May 2019 04:33 #40

• novum
  • Platinum Member
The only "fault" here is the webhosting isnt accomodating enough for the number of visitors.

While it is the case that google brings in the most non member visitors/hits.... Im not against more visitors/readers, infact I think the majority of posters would prefer as many people read their posts as possible.

I wasnt faulting google, (not for this) ... my ramblings were merely an attempt to point out that most visitors here come because of google searches, then they read the specific thread that came up on the search results they searching for, only browse through that one thread, then exit the site in less than 10 minutes. And those threads tend to be the established threads that do come up higher on search results.

The internet is a big place now as is the world that uses it, its not so difficult to have people landing on the site, which is something ive known for years now since the SZ days, but the majority dont stick around.

I still remember having a SZ twitter account with 100k followers (got that doing the follow back thing for years) , id tweet a link to SZ and if it was remotely interesting the visitor count would jump very high, but it was the exact same thing there, they would read the one thread then leave.

The admin tools etc differentiate between crawlers/bots and real people also, as can the analytics when you look at how people move around the site. There are no third party analytics like that now on the site btw, but when they were here (and SZ) i saw what i saw. Most visitors are one topic wonders, and I can differentiate between those and crawlers/bots.

(All we have now here is the inherent stats in cpanel, like awstats and live visitors etc, theres a few tools in there you can count on your one hand. Ive uninstalled anything that could or would keep data on this site, for example things like google analytics and extrawatch, they arent here anymore.)

I think sites that are more well known have many more actual regulars that browse recent topics etc who arent logged in, so the newer topics get much more views. As ive already said, this place gets most of its non member views via incoming from google, it is what it is.

I will get to trying a different server one day, just too busy to deal with the inevitable fuck ups that come with that right now, and thered be no site if its moved and i dont spend time to fix what isnt working.

The majority of the issues here are hosting related, its just too restrictive for the amount of use.... need more cowbell.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare