Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 14:23 #1

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Now here's a topic to discuss. Unemployment. It seems that, the economy in europe and thus, Finland also is going to hell... Our fate here is much like in many other countries, not that bad though, but bad enough. Our economy is closely tied to what ever EU cashmasters decide. Our politicians have been bought off since the day one, to just dance like puppets on the commands from their masters. It looks like they have been promised their spot in heaven if they just blindly obey, and do what ever they're told to. I don't know for sure, but the real people who use their common sense on decision making are a dying breed. I would like to point out that my understanding about politics, money and economy are limited and my opinions and observations are solely based on my personal experience, so I might make mistakes here, forgive me that.

Finland is not much more than a puppetstate of EU, our own currency is gone, our economy is not ours any more. Most of our production base is relocated or sold away, latest big sale was Nokia, which is now part of Microsoft. Next one to go might be Stora Enso and other paper industry companies. The only reason they still have two large paper factories in my town is that these are a status symbol for their business, they always bring these big shots here to show off and seal their deals. Our production base is bankrupted or sold elsewhere, jobs are moved to cheap labor countries, many paper factories are closed to start the same business in South America.

The current official unemployment rate is 8,1%. I will be optimistic and say the REAL unemployment is nearly 20% at least. People in schools and in nine euro slaves do not really count. But these people are not counted towards the unemployment rates, oh not at all... I think a big part of that reason is that 'they' want to make it look like everything's ok. No problem. Most people under 35 years of age are well educated, but either they're only part time employed (these A LOT of these folks!) or they're on some kind of a 'procedure'. Nine euro slavery here is called literally a 'employment-political procedure' I think that's the newspeak term for it, directly translated from Finnish.

I also am an 'nine euro slave' in a local non-profit company who produce all kinds of services... We get nine euros a day extra money which cannot be taken away by social services for example. The shifts are short, four or six hours a day. But here comes the kicker, some of us have to work really hard, some workshops actually produce stuff which is sold forward. Where does that money go, I don't really know, maybe to support the 'non-profit' company we work in? Who knows. But I have heard rumors, that some people 'up there' wanted to keep our nine-euro extra, but make us work eight hour days instead. Some other places doing this same work actually work like any other company would. People are being used to actually produce amounts of stuff and services on total pay of 32+9€/day.

I don't complain much, if I would not be in this 'procedure' I would be wasting my time on totally useless "education" and would have eight hour days but same crappy compensation... So nine euro slavery is the best alternative to unemployment. I think there are plans to totally destroy the job market, remove all production and make us work for food instead of money if shit really hits the fan. Then there's this curious little detail, any unemployed person on some crappy "education" course, of any 'employment-political procedure' DO NOT count towards the official unemployment statistic.

Other funny little detail about Finnish job market is that, education on some profession is not a 'get free from jail' card. No, they want people to have education AND experience on the field of work. This sets many well educated young people on a very difficult situation on which they have the skills, they have the education, but their lack of experience denies them access on their field of work. And if they get employed, their wage sucks big donkey balls for the first year or so. And usually their contract isn't even that long. There's always new takers coming afterwards and employers know this, they take nearly only part time employees, they're easier to fire and they don't need to be paid as much. This makes people to change jobs, get useless educations, send them through job center to education to 'procedure' to education to part time job... Rinse and repeat. Add in some cheap foreign labor from Estonia or east Europe and you got the nice little mess that is the fate of working age people in Finland. Not all of them, but for too many this BS is everyday reality. And its getting worse.

I heard not long ago, that the place I 'work' in is full, there's no funds or work to take in more people on their capacity... And then I hear they're starting one more workshop early next year... More modern day cheap slaves to profit from. All in all, the job market here is an abomination compared to how it used to be just thirty years ago. It sucks and it gets worse. And there's no doubt, that Finnish government will find new ways to clean up the employment numbers and more ways in which exploit the labor of sort-of-unemployed people.

And to finish this post, I would like to say something about the Finnish culture of making unemployed feel guilty for their situation. The job center people are educated in psychological warfare against the mental health of their customers. This is probably done to get as many people off state sanctioned 'benefits' as possible. Job center is not there to help people find jobs. Its a benefit control center more like. They use intimidation, sarcastic remarks, foul language, guilt and shame as their weapons in the benefit war. Knowing the Finnish psyche, shame is harder to work through than physical pain. Finns can take a beating and not budge an inch, but make theme ashamed of themselves, and feel guilty, feel like they have failed, and you got yourself a limp wreck of human, ready to be guided to what ever direction have you. This is of course not so black and white, but I guess you got my point.

Well, I don't really know if this really is a discussion, or just more my own way to get some of this BS off my back. There's many people from UK here, tell me how are these things in England?
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, diamondgeezer, pheony, cantata, jonb, miacat

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 14:47 #2

• Straight Shooter
Hex that's a long post i just read but where is your solution?
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 14:55 #3

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I knew this was coming. ;) I don't have a solution to offer, not right here and now. But my personal solution to this problem is to learn some basic self sufficiency, try to learn skills on many things so that I would will have decent alternative if the current BS goes even worse.

I was mostly just venting about how I see things here. If it would be possible, the solution could be to kick out the 'elite', kick out EU, have our own, not debt based currency, start producing our own good in right here and so on... There's a lot which could get people on their feet and to get some sense to this stupid puppet state of ours.

I have been thinking that maybe I should have gone into politics. I have so much to say and I would love to see so many changes here. But the whole 'democratic' system is flawed at its base, any political system will be corrupt, and it usually happens so under the radar, people notice only when its too late. But I'm not a politically active person, I see so much lies, deceit, corruption and greed in politics, I don't want to be involved personally.

Heck, maybe things could get better if the True Finns party will be the majority in our govt, they have some good ideas and also bunch of crap too... But when times are hard, the lesser evil might be a good choise. I'm sure germans thought so too in 1933. Well, I don't really know the solution, or I do, but I don't know how to make it happen.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, ..........

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 15:22 #4

• Straight Shooter
Hexhammer wrote:
I knew this was coming. ;) I don't have a solution to offer, not right here and now. But my personal solution to this problem is to learn some basic self sufficiency, try to learn skills on many things so that I would will have decent alternative if the current BS goes even worse.

Self sufficiency is basically what all the billions of poor people in the 3rd world practice everyday.

But your right about how people only notice political problems in the system when its too late.

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 16:29 #5

• jonb
Hex,
I would say what you are talking about is very much what started in Britain in the Eighties, Remove people from work, then blame them for every ill in the world until they are ground down, then offer them a way out as long as they admit they are hopeless, and put them on benefits for depression, so the unemployment figures can be massaged. Then point out the number of people on benefits for depression, point out that that has gone up, and in so doing imply that all these people are liars, and blame them again, force them into mindless underpaid or unpaid work, when they show signs of their depression, say this is how all english people are, incapable of work. Use that to drive down wages and import people from low wage areas to take over the jobs, until the new people start to notice they are being exploited and then repeat the process.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer, .........., miacat

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 16:31 #6

• Straight Shooter
well said jonb...
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, jonb

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 17:04 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Hexhammer wrote:
Well, I don't really know if this really is a discussion, or just more my own way to get some of this BS off my back.

Well I think it was a good read and a well written post, thanks for sharing.

And looks like its turned into a discussion also.

Its probably a similar situation to alot of western countries, the real unemployment numbers, dealing with the job agencies and benefits departments, the shifting of production to places where its cheaper for the corporations, and more.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer, jonb

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 19:03 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
There's many people from UK here, tell me how are these things in England?

Same really.

The real unemployment figures are far higher than the 'official' ones, they manipulate the stats in all sorts of ways to make them look better.

And so many people now work part-time jobs (usually more than one), because the majority of the jobs offered that are actually out there are part-time ones these days. Its the new trend and it suits employers because part-time workers aren't entitled to the same rights and protection as full-time workers are.

Minimum wage is just over £6 per hour here.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, Hexhammer

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 19:05 #9

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
You're right dots, but being 'poor' in a third world country is much different than being one over here. And those people do what they must to survive. Although knowing most of the world is monetarily in much worse shape than us does not make our situation any better.

Yea, Jonb, from what I have read, what UK is today, might be our future, unfortunately... No wonder people feel ill and are depressed, first ruin their economy and then blame it on the unemployed. Like its all just laziness etc.
-Agent Fox Mulder
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2013 19:16 by Hexhammer.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 19:15 #10

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
diamondgeezer wrote:
Same really.

The real unemployment figures are far higher than the 'official' ones, they manipulate the stats in all sorts of ways to make them look better.

And so many people now work part-time jobs (usually more than one), because the majority of the jobs offered that are actually out there are part-time ones these days. Its the new trend and it suits employers because part-time workers aren't entitled to the same rights and protection as full-time workers are.

Minimum wage is just over £6 per hour here.

Well, no surprises here, unfortunately. :(

And you just listed the same reasons people work part-time here too. Employers LOVE it, big time... And if they hit a hard time, they just fire all non full-timers, its the easy way out. Six quid per hour?? That's insane! In here its around 10€/hour and that's not much either.

I'm sorry to post such a negative stream of post, just ranting about this employment stuff. I just need to went, I see every day at 'work' how deeply our fine civilized society sucks. And not just because people are without jobs and good income, most people working in the place I do are long term unemployed, there's alcoholics, drug addicts, ex convicts, gypsies and so on. Few are pure scum and the rest just un lucky people more or less beaten by our allmighty and democratic system. I would really prefer to be some place else, or sit home and play drums, but its sad that my best choise is nine euro slavery. Luckily we get some free food there too, on some days there's enough to take home. Working there saves me a long penny. But I hate the situation, lack of real alternatives. Oh yea, going to school is not worth the effort either, unless you're ready for debtslavery too. Students get even worse money than unemployed. Ironically.
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony, jonb

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 19:21 #11

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
Brill post, Hex, spot on. Not a bitch session, but a REAL OPEN-EYED observation of what is actually happening.

Same circumstances in US in 1990s and the '00s, jobs moved abroad, no work, welfare help trimmed and a mass population of desperate, hungry people; of course the sub-prime fiasco and the money grab by banks added homelessness and hunger to their problems. The US now has alarming statistics regards the poor and destitute: 60,000+ homeless children in NYC alone; almost half the population on food assistance; real unemployment at near 30% -official figures are very fiddled; homelessness at record levels, perhaps another 28% -including the invisibles; absolutely no health or welfare net for those with student loans outstanding (and those in default have grown staggeringly, with now 1Tr in back loan payments due); and of course, tent cities of those without homes or shelter in most every urban area. For those without jobs there is much public condemnation that "they are not trying hard enough", and for those who are under-employed their wages are not meeting their bills, so many use food banks to eat, but an enormous number of people are literally one pay packet away from homelessness and utter destitution. The reduction in welfare help in the US came about as the result of adopting the philosophy of insurance adjusters, eg minimizing need of the client and decreases in payouts to the client in favour of the corporate balance sheet. This is a nasty aspect of corporate capitalism that is being used for social engineering (imo). Immigration plays a part in this, I think, as these groups come to new pastures thinking that wages and opportunities are abundant and learn only after the trap is closed, that they are now part of a subservient class of poor, underpaid workers used to enrich corporate coffers and widen the gap between a few who have and matter and a majority who have not and do not matter.

Anyway, to the UK..... what happens over the pond so very often crosses the waves to these shores. This has been seen in the financial and banking sectors, the housing and mortgage sector, and now, as also following the template of the US, welfare and unemployment. That some in government here visited US welfare providers in the US for advice on a new template for welfare/workfare in the early 2000s came as no surprise, but was still shocking in both terms of how little the public was aware of this development and had absolutely no understanding of the obvious consequences of adopting the US welfare template (as it is based on corporate welfare, subsistence wages, worker dis-empowerment and ever lower standards of living). And we can follow the scenarios and consequences of the above paragraph to see that all these too are now happening in the UK, and also as you explain so very well, your homeland, and as we read from others, Europe, as well.

It's been my observation that there are many types of revolution. The quickest and most effective is, of course, inhumane, violent and against human principles of decency. The less obvious and more constructive is a revolution of the mind, as some other poster has talked about. It is not overly productive to attempt a solo quest of global change, but must be done en mass; many minds need to be informed about personal choices and encouragement and discussion and inclusion of all who want a better world is necessary. There must be an end to the we/them mindset. I think very much about Dmitry Orlov, his writings about the five stages of collapse, his survival of the fall of the the Soviet Union and how he and others managed to keep body and soul together during so much change, chaos and destruction.

According to this philosophy, building a new paradigm will only result in failure if such building is undertaken in the early stages of a (social) collapse. Until that point is reached, it is suggested that people attempt to keep their heads above water by any means, to try to ride out the early stages (helping each other where possible and practicable) until enough of the system collapses in on itself so that real change can be orchestrated and effective. I think that there is still some way to go before we reach that decisive stage; there will have to be a complete collapse of the charitable segments of society reduced to being unable to fill the gap left by governments to meet the needs of their respective populations. It is at this juncture that things become very shaky and people begin to utilise the skills they learned whilst waiting for the opportune moment to effect real and lasting change.

In the meanwhile.... in this moment, there are things that people can do to prepare. Learn a valuable skill or trade which will provide a means of income when the framework that used-to-be is in the process of evolving into what-will-become. Becoming as self-sufficient as is practicable in one's given circumstances is a learning curve, and each person's or family's will be different based on location, geography, physical or mental abilities, resource supplies, age, prior education, access to skills learning opportunities and many other factors; what will be practical and useful for country dwellers will not necessarily suit urban-ites, for example.

As people become more self-sufficient they will rely less on corporate concerns for their needs to be met, but they can also reduce their contribution to corporate power and social control by reducing unnecessary consumption; in the words of a 16 year-old heart broken at the destruction of the environment and wild life... how much crap do people really need to buy?

So, for the moment, I choose to starve the Beast every way that I can; I currently have a skill that people will want and need when I need to use it to provide for myself, but I am also consistently learning new applications and to use adjunct tools to better complete my skill-set. Too, I take opportunities to ask people what they think about the current events in the world, and engage them in dialogue that way, and very often they admit that they are concerned about and have noticed the same things that I am. This is a good way to begin to ease the deep and unrecognised fear so many people now have about what is happening in the world. Because I think that most people are uneasy, feel a lot of fear and uncertainty, do not understand where it is coming from, what to do about it, and I observe that a lot of people feel very alone and isolated with these un-named and unidentified vague stirrings of, well, alarm, really.

Skills: what are the five basic things that all humans need, and what skills in these areas can people obtain, cultivate, or build on, that will provide themselves with an income when things get really bad?
Living in the moment: how can people reduce the amount of profit they contribute to segments of society which are creating and forcing a society that is unequal and destructive?

Footnote: It is interesting to witness the lengths to which the current financial, political and elite system will go to keep the current ship from sinking. Every action from regulations to public appeasement to policy change and constriction of human rights is designed to STAVE OFF that tipping point of opportunity for real change; they realise that the juncture for really turning things around is a death-knell to the current system designed to serve the interests and needs of a select few, and they are doing everything to scramble away from that precipice. I also believe that those who are very wealthy and powerful are acutely aware of how fragile the environment is becoming, how much natural resources are dwindling or becoming polluted, and that they have been preparing themselves for a while now, determined to survive the worst-case scenario, at all costs. There are, in remote, unspoiled corners of the globe, the most amazing, luxurious, and well-equipped bolt holes that have been invested in and outfitted, and there are some places in remote wilderness areas where there are gated compounds of these small communities, completely fitted with every possible requirement from small medical centers to closed sustainable water and power provisions, fully-replete bunkers, food growing facilities and independent security.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Hexhammer, jonb

Unemployment and 'nine euro slavery' in Finland 17 Dec 2013 19:52 #12

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Hei Syxx, that was an interesting post! Thanks. :)

I find it amazing how blatantly ignorant and blind the 'elite' are. Decision making which only leads to worse and worse living conditions can not go on forever. I mean that people are like dogs, if you poke them with a stick long enough when they're in a corner, at some point they will bite back. I think the people running the charade that's called economy, governments etc. are going to get the angry dog bite their ass... The question is, how much abuse will the dog take. Usually people wake up to do something way too late. Hmm, that's either when they're hurt enough, or that they're hungry enough. I'm afraid to see which one comes first.
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb