Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threads and posts subject to the discretion of the moderators in this category.

Moderators: Gaia

TOPIC: Is Colombia on the brink of marxism...? As the first Latin American NATO member...? Interesting times

Is Colombia on the brink of marxism...? As the first Latin American NATO member...? Interesting times 27 May 2018 17:04 #1

• Gaia
Today is one of the most interesting days in the political history of Colombia, with the first round of presidential elections being held.

Colombian elections work like in France, where the two winners of the first round, if not securing a +50% vote, will go to a second round where they will battle head-on.

The 2 main candidates are the most polarized of the 5 left for today and most probably will come out as winners today and battle on on June 17th for the presidency.

For the first time in recent history, there is a marxist candidate present. It is Gustavo Petro, who is former mayor of the capital Bogotá (and noted for his failures and corruption, scandals with garbage recollection, marxist plans, and first demotion and then reinstallment as mayor).

Petro is an outspoken marxist, a former member of leftist guerilla group M-19 (responsible for the infamous raid on the Colombian parliament in 1985) and has voiced his (not-so-)slick Maduro/Chávez-like ideas in the debates held in the media.

His main opponent Ivan Duque is a protégé of Álvaro Uribe, the wildly popular (among the higher classes) and impopular (among the lefties and poor) former president of the mid-2000s who has greatly improved the safety of the country (since the dangerous times of the 1990s), making it possible for me to live here today.

Read more about these interesting times (all in English):

God forbid that Petro will win. His ideas and especially his track record during his mayor time, when I lived in Bogotá, are obviously disastrous for the country and the whole international community is watching this process closely. I live about 100 miles from Venezuela and people do not want to see such a scenario unfold, there are already 100,000s of refugees from Venezuela in Colombia.

Though as a statheist I principally disagree with the idea of voting, I fully support my family-in-law who goes to vote en masse today against this ugly marxist freak.

Interesting news item I only came across now (don't watch any news and happily so), as a result of the political imbalance, Juan Manuel Santos, the leaving president, said that Colombia will join the NATO, as first Latin American country:
Colombia to join Nato as country prepares for elections which could spell end of peace deal
Colombia will become the first country in Latin America to join Nato, the outgoing president announced on the eve of the first presidential elections since its bloody civil war came to an end.

Juan Manuel Santos, who signed a peace deal with the left-wing Farc guerrillas in 2016, ending the longest-running civil conflict in the western hemisphere and winning the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts, made the announcement on Friday night.

Colombia will join next week as a "global partner", Mr Santos said, which means it will not necessarily have to take part in military action but will be fully accredited in Brussels.
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)
Last Edit: 27 May 2018 17:09 by Gaia.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Is Colombia on the brink of marxism...? As the first Latin American NATO member...? Interesting times 27 May 2018 19:05 #2

• Flare
  • Platinum Member
Gaia wrote:
Though as a statheist I principally disagree with the idea of voting, I fully support my family-in-law who goes to vote en masse today against this ugly marxist freak.

Is Colombia on the brink of marxism...? As the first Latin American NATO member...? Interesting times 27 May 2018 19:08 #3

• Gaia
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)
Moderators: Gaia