Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity."

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 14:26 #1

• GMP
  • Silver Member
"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity."
Great line.
Say what you like about Adolf Hitler but he had a fantastic gift for articulating the discontents of his audience and moulding those discontents into his political narrative.
He almost 'becomes' their anger, channels it by his rhetoric and then presents himself as the remedy to that anger.
Rhetoric was always and ever 'the art of persuasive speech.'
:)
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2016 14:27 by GMP.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 15:00 #2

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
"The truth must be repeated over and over again,
because error is repeatedly preached among us, not
only by individuals, but by the masses. In periodicals
and cyclopaedias, in schools and universities; every-
where, in fact, error prevails, and is quite easy in the
feeling that it has a decided majority on its side."

~ J. W. v. Goethe

Johannes Lang "The Hollow World Theory" Blog
My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 15:35 #3

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Rhetoric is the 'art of persuasive speech' Pfizi. That's the definition of rhetoric.
Started this thread having been struck by that line in another post by Kalki.
It struck a chord because just this morning at breakfast I was reading a book review in the Sunday Times that mentioned Hitler's use of rhetoric thus...
Quote...
"Hitler had an uncanny ability to persuade his audiences that he was uniquely the expression of their rage. The success of his oratory partly derived from that sense of common identity."
...end quote.
The book's 'Enough Said. What's gone wrong with the language of politics?' by Mark Thompson.
Looks interesting so I may well invest in a copy.
User(s) who Liked this post: Herakleitos

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 15:37 #4

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Book link here...
www.amazon.co.uk/Enough-Said-Whats-language-politics/dp/1847923127/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472999777&sr=1-1&keywords=enough+said

And the blurb...
How do we discuss serious ideas in the age of 24-hour news? What was rhetoric in the past and what should it be now? And what does Islamic State have in common with Donald Trump?
We’ve never had more information or more opportunity to debate the issues of the day. Yet the relationship between politicians, the media and the public is characterised by suspicion, mistrust and apathy. What has gone wrong?
Enough Said reveals how political, social and technological change has transformed our political landscape – and how we talk about the issues that affect us all. Political rhetoric has become stale and the mistrust of politicians has made voters flock to populists who promise authenticity, honesty and truth instead of spin, evasiveness and lies.
Featuring Ronald Reagan and Sarah Palin, Tony Blair and George Osborne, Silvio Berlusconi and many more star performers, Enough Said shows how public language is losing its power, and how an ominous gap is opening between the governed and those who govern. The result of decades of first-hand experience of politics and media, this is an essential, brilliant diagnosis of what we should stop doing and what we should start doing in order to reinvigorate Western democracy.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2016 15:40 by GMP.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 15:49 #5

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
Enough Said: What's gone wrong with the language of politics? Hardcover – 1 Sep 2016

Brand new - Be the first to review this item

How do we discuss serious ideas in the age of 24-hour news? What was rhetoric in the past and what should it be now? And what does Islamic State have in common with Donald Trump?

We’ve never had more information or more opportunity to debate the issues of the day. Yet the relationship between politicians, the media and the public is characterised by suspicion, mistrust and apathy. What has gone wrong?

Enough Said reveals how political, social and technological change has transformed our political landscape – and how we talk about the issues that affect us all. Political rhetoric has become stale and the mistrust of politicians has made voters flock to populists who promise authenticity, honesty and truth instead of spin, evasiveness and lies.

Featuring Ronald Reagan and Sarah Palin, Tony Blair and George Osborne, Silvio Berlusconi and many more star performers, Enough Said shows how public language is losing its power, and how an ominous gap is opening between the governed and those who govern. The result of decades of first-hand experience of politics and media, this is an essential, brilliant diagnosis of what we should stop doing and what we should start doing in order to reinvigorate Western democracy.

Recommended by the Sunday Times it surely makes a good read for you.
I wouldn't waste a penny on this waste of trees and ink for the sake of another ego and the attached bank account.
Let alone the typical, nonsensical mainstream drivel wrapped in purple rhetoric.

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 16:35 #6

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Yep, you not being a voter I can understand your reticence to invest in that book Pfizi.
That was a book review though NOT a recommendation. The Sunday Times rather leaves its readers to make up their own minds whether or not to purchase any books reviewed.
Seems to me though that it could be a useful text for those of us who do contest elected office every four years.
I've been banging on for ages on TZ about how the new-right populist parties have distanced themselves from all things Adolf.
This guy seems to be advocating something of a return to Adolf's rhetorical style.
I'll know more once I've read it.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2016 16:39 by GMP.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 16:48 #7

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
GMP wrote:
Yep, you not being a voter I can understand your reticence to invest in that book Pfizi.
That was a book review though NOT a recommendation. The Sunday Times rather leaves its readers to make up their own minds whether or not to purchase any books reviewed.
Seems to me though that it could be a useful text for those of us who do contest elected office every four years.
I've been banging on for ages on TZ about how the new-right populist parties have distanced themselves from all things Adolf.
This guy seems to be advocating something of a return to Adolf's rhetorical style.
I'll know more once I've read it.

Bolded: There is no basis for your assumption.

I'd rather read www.amazon.co.uk/Paper-House-Ending-Yugoslavia/dp/0099212110

But then the second review

Disappointment. His book The White War was comprehensive, well written, informative. This one is stylishly written but, for my taste, too discursive. I was looking for history; I got too much travel and reminiscence.

seems to confirm my previous estimation of the author's realistic account of historical facts.

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP, Herakleitos

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 17:01 #8

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Could be, I'll know once I've read it but that bit I quoted from the review about Adolf's rhetoric sounded pretty positive.
If, as I suspect; he's advocating a move away from soundbites back towards persuasive speech in politics then it could be be money well spent.
I bought a used review copy so got it for half the cover price.
Not sure how he might address getting people these days to actually listen to a persuasive speech though.
Attention spans aren't what they were back in Adolf's day.
I blame Twitter etc for that.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 17:10 #9

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
It's not so much the language of politics that is the problem, it's politics that is.

Real leadership doesn't need coercion, just like a good business doesn't need force to sell its product.

It's the whole misconception that Crazy Apes would or should have power over other Homo sapiens.

I also don't see Dolfy Rothschild as an excellent speecher as he is regarded or whitewashed by some here.

He rather looks like a guy who had a problem with speaking normally, always shouting and his fake anger became a clownesque trick which only appeals to the weakest listener.

The content of his propaganda speeches is another matter; written by -mostly jewish!- "geniuses" of the school of Bernays.

Which also isn't speaking in his favour, but it was (and sadly still is -here-) undoubtedly successful.
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2016 17:10 by Gaia.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 17:14 #10

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
GMP wrote:
Could be, I'll know once I've read it but that bit I quoted from the review about Adolf's rhetoric sounded pretty positive.
If, as I suspect; he's advocating a move away from soundbites back towards persuasive speech in politics then it could be be money well spent.
I bought a used review copy so got it for half the cover price.
Not sure how he might address getting people these days to actually listen to a persuasive speech though.
Attention spans aren't what they were back in Adolf's day.
I blame Twitter etc for that.

You might want get out of your box for once and watch historical videos for free in times of youtube,
instead of buying books recommended by the msm,
and don't forget to check the views, thumbs-up and comments,
as your imagination of the perception of Adolf Hitler by milions appears to be quite unrealistic.
Wishful thinking.

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
User(s) who Liked this post: GMP, Herakleitos

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 04 Sep 2016 19:02 #11

• Herakleitos
  • Fresh Member
[deleted]
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017 18:12 by Herakleitos. Reason: quote spam

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 05 Sep 2016 13:48 #12

• GMP
  • Silver Member
In a media world where the audience has become accustomed to 'bite sized' soundbite style messages and very few news items on TV stretching beyond two or three minutes and those with lots of different scenes and camera angles-
Is there a market for extended rhetoric anymore?
The popular tabloid newspapers here keep the news stories short and sharp with lots of pictures breaking up the text.
The only full page single issue topics are the columnists opinion pieces and those only appear on one or two days in each week.
The broadsheet newspapers go in for more extended text but even they avoid very many full page stories.
Somebody pastes in a video on a forum and lots of responses pop up below it along the lines of " That is over an hour long mate, please give us a precis".
All the media, apart from radio; use far more visual imagery these days than once they did but not much in the way of extended 'one shot' long videos. Photo stories are popular in some tabloids though with pictures telling the story. Those are usually in the womens interest or 'romance' sections though.
Political parties mirror successful media.
Look at AfD's recent success in Germany.
Their campaign was almost a single short-message anti-Merkel/anti-immigration 'hit' and no long speeches.
They came second with 21% of the vote and knocked Merkel's Party down into third place.
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2016 13:54 by GMP.

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 06 Sep 2016 05:13 #13

• Herakleitos
  • Fresh Member
[deleted]
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017 18:13 by Herakleitos. Reason: quote spam
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, PFIZIPFEI, GMP

"There is a passion for unity born of dire necessity." 08 Sep 2016 16:52 #14

• GMP
  • Silver Member
Great points Kalki and kudos for mentioning Pierce, he seldom get a mention these days.
Take your point about AfD and lack of a 'hero'. They don't seem to have any charismatic leader as such albeit I do like their policies and they are doing well so far at the polls.
For all his faults, here in Blighty Nigel Farage very much still 'is' UKIP and will probably soon be back as party leader.
He's very much a 'hero' figure to many UKIP supporters and is certainly a powerful, convincing and, one might venture; charismatic - platform speaker.
Whilst the leader is never ever 'the party' a charismatic leader is a better recruiter than might be some lacklustre type.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2016 16:53 by GMP.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare