Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My experiences in the Vietnam war

M experiences in the Vietnam war 27 Sep 2019 22:50 #21

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
Keep this one going peacenik, good stuff.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

Keep an eye on the media and their shills, know their duplicity.
Nothing stirs, only the intense humming of evil remains.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Flare

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 17:57 #22

• Truthspoon
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
peacenik wrote:
One of the most dangerous things in Vietnam, other than the enemy it's self, was a 2nd lieutenant. A 2nd lieutenant is someone who has just graduated from officer training school. They are usually arrogant. Book smart, but dumb on everything else.

We had a 2nd LT who had just arrived and took leadership of our platoon.

This 2nd LT did dumb things, like wear his Lieutenant bars on his clothing for all to see. He wore a white tee shirt under his camos, he would shout orders while standing on a mound. We tried to tell him, you just don't do those things because of snipers. Snipers were everywhere in Dodge city.

Snipers love to kill officers.

But the 2nd LT wouldn't listen. He couldn't stand the idea of enlisted men telling him anything.

Everyone knew he was going to get zapped, so everyone stayed as far away from him as possible. Guys started making bets on how long he would last?

It didn't take long. One day he was standing on a rice patty dike, giving orders wearing his white tee shirt, and his 2n LT bars glistening in the sun.

A gook sniper fired a three round burst that took out the 2nd LT and the marine he was giving orders to.

That would make a good short story.......

If you wrote a book of short stories like this about your experiences in Vietnam I would buy it and I bet plenty of other people would too.

If you want any help with it I'd be happy to help out.
Last Edit: 28 Sep 2019 18:03 by Truthspoon.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare, Lux Interior, Roastie

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 20:27 #23

• Flare
Truthspoon wrote:
peacenik wrote:
One of the most dangerous things in Vietnam, other than the enemy it's self, was a 2nd lieutenant. A 2nd lieutenant is someone who has just graduated from officer training school. They are usually arrogant. Book smart, but dumb on everything else.

This 2nd LT did dumb things, like wear his Lieutenant bars on his clothing for all to see. He wore a white tee shirt under his camos, he would shout orders while standing on a mound. We tried to tell him, you just don't do those things because of snipers. Snipers were everywhere in Dodge city.

But the 2nd LT wouldn't listen. He couldn't stand the idea of enlisted men telling him anything.

Everyone knew he was going to get zapped, so everyone stayed as far away from him as possible. Guys started making bets on how long he would last?

It didn't take long. One day he was standing on a rice patty dike, giving orders wearing his white tee shirt, and his 2n LT bars glistening in the sun.

A gook sniper fired a three round burst that took out the 2nd LT and the marine he was giving orders to.

If you wrote a book of short stories like this about your experiences in Vietnam I would buy it and I bet plenty of other people would too.

Absolutely.

Peacenik is telling it like I can see it all.

This a great thread and it would make a great book telling his extraordinary every day life experiences during the Vietnam war like this.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 20:38 #24

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Truthspoon wrote:
peacenik wrote:

Thanks TS, but I think there are already to many books out there on this subject already?
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 20:49 #25

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
You have started a thread, you could just add to it from time to time like you have so far.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 21:03 #26

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
Truthspoon wrote:
peacenik wrote:

Thanks TS, but I think there are already to many books out there on this subject already?

O, there probably are plenty.

But I guess there's always room for another one written by a marine who has really lived it and got stories to tell in great detail.
User(s) who Liked this post: peacenik

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 22:00 #27

Interesting read, peacenik. It's always good to hear first hand accounts from soldiers who were actually on the ground, rather than the usual Hollywood bollox.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

M experiences in the Vietnam war 28 Sep 2019 22:07 #28

• peacenik
  • Immortal
January of 1969, our company embarked on a mission into Dodge City. The purpose was to surprise the enemy and do damage. We left in darkness about 2:00-3:00AM, hoping to surprise the enemy.

It was an important mission as, we were paired up with South Vietnamese solders. The whole thing was to be a joint strike at the enemy. This made the enemy even more furious, knowing there were South Vietnamese solders in our group.

We lost the element of surprise about an hour into the mission when an anti-aircraft gun opened up on us from across the river. Now, all of dodge city knew we were out there.

That day turned out to be the most miserable day of my life. It had been raining for what seemed like a week. My arms were all clawed up from the brush. My shoulders ached from the weight I was carrying, and every time someone got hit I had to carry even more shit.. More than once I got pinned down in a rice patty due to snipers. You had to stick your face all the way into the mud and pray you weren't the first to raise your head because of snipers.

The whole day consisted of someone getting hit and we calling in artillary on the snipers. On and on and on. I just wanted to die and get it over with.

Water was everywhere nothing was dry. My head ached from the rain hitting my helmet.

We set up perimeter that night. We were told to dig in but it was impossible as soon as you dug the hole it filled with water. I was exausted. It was pointless to try and stay dry, so I just slept in the rain.

I was awakened by a huge explosion and a blinding flash. Then another one, then another. I leaned on my right elbow to see what was going on. The explosions and flashes were getting closer and closer to me. With every flash I could see guys running trying to find cover. It was a mortar attack. I was frozen with fear. I didn't know whether to run or say. I was to scared to run.

The last one fired was the one that got me. I felt the hot metal go into my left shoulder. The concussion threw me backward several feet. The south Vietnamese solider I had been paired up with, tried to run when the last one hit.....Bad move, I hear he died on the chopper?

Someone was standing over me, asking if I was hit? I said yes. He told me to, hold on the medivac choppers were on the way.

I saw the choppers come in over the tree line, they were taking heavy fire. You could see the tracer bullets ripping through the belly of the chopper. I didn't want to go. I felt saver on the ground.

Aboard the chopper, there were gaping holes in the metal. Through the holes, I could see the tracer bullets coming up from the ground below, hitting the chopper.

I was in the Da nang military hospital for about two weeks for this wound.
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
Last Edit: 29 Sep 2019 02:10 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Return of Zorro, Flare, Ugh

M experiences in the Vietnam war 29 Sep 2019 04:13 #29

• Truthspoon
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
I reckon Zorro should include you in his production company thing.

Could make some epic short videos with material like that.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

M experiences in the Vietnam war 29 Sep 2019 21:49 #30

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Around March or April of 1969, I transfered to a CAG (combined action group) unit South East of DaNang. It was a new thing the Marine Corps was trying out where marines lived in the villages with the Vietnamese. It was a plan to win over the hearts and minds of of the people (I guess), and to provide an early warning system on enemy troop movements

Each unit consisted of about eight or ten marines. We moved from village to village, daily. Never staying in a village for more than one night.

On this particular night, the guy on watch fired on two NVA (north Vietnamese army) troops that had entered our village. An order came in on the radio to stop firing as there were marines in the next village over and the rifle bullets were hitting their position. I was the only one allowed to fire because I was carrying an M-79 gernade launcher, called a, "blooper" because that's the noise it makes. It doesn't have the range a rifle has. So, I was the only one allowed to fire. I fired about 20 rounds at the target.

Here is a pic of me in one of our villages carrying an M-79 "blooper"

The sun was coming up and we swept the area. One of the solders was dead he died from a rifle bullet. probably from the guy who was orginally on watch at the time. The other solder was wounded and bleeding. As I was the only allowed to fire, It was me who had wounded that solder. We followed the blood trail for about a hundred feet. There in a ditch was the wounded solder. We all thought he was dead. The solder suddenly sat up. It scared everyone cuz we all thought he was dead. The solder put both of his hands above his head and was about to fold his hands on top of his head, which is the familiar "Chi hoa" (I surrender) signal.

Before both hands reached the top of his head, our radio man came up behind him and literally blew his head off with a 45 cal pistol.

So the man I had wounded the night before was now dead.

That day we found out the two NVA solders were brothers. They were in the village to see their mother who they hadn't seen since the start of the war.

Both of these solders were unarmed. It was kinda sad how it all turned out.
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 03:14 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare, Ugh

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 01:37 #31

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
peacenik wrote:
..I was carrying an M-79 gernade launcher, called a, "blooper" because that's the noise it makes. It doesn't have to range a rifle has. So, I was the only one allowed to fire. I fired about 30 rounds at the target.

Hey mate "Blooperman" would make a good screen name for you..:)
I just ran your pic through my computer enhancer (below), post any more faded shots and i'll enhance them too if you like.

PS- this is a cool Nam vid-
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 01:42 by Ugh.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 03:07 #32

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Thanks UGH, that does look better. What kind of magic can you work on this pic?

upload image free google
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 03:09 by peacenik.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 08:31 #33

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
Around March or April of 1969, I transfered to a CAG (combined action group) unit South East of DaNang. It was a new thing the Marine Corps was trying out where marines lived in the villages with the Vietnamese. It was a plan to win over the hearts and minds of of the people (I guess), and to provide an early warning system on enemy troop movements

Each unit consisted of about eight or ten marines. We moved from village to village, daily. Never staying in a village for more than one night.

On this particular night, the guy on watch fired on two NVA (north Vietnamese army) troops that had entered our village. An order came in on the radio to stop firing as there were marines in the next village over and the rifle bullets were hitting their position. I was the only one allowed to fire because I was carrying an M-79 gernade launcher, called a, "blooper" because that's the noise it makes. It doesn't have the range a rifle has. So, I was the only one allowed to fire. I fired about 20 rounds at the target.

Here is a pic of me in one of our villages carrying an M-79 "blooper"

The sun was coming up and we swept the area. One of the solders was dead he died from a rifle bullet. probably from the guy who was orginally on watch at the time. The other solder was wounded and bleeding. As I was the only allowed to fire, It was me who had wounded that solder. We followed the blood trail for about a hundred feet. There in a ditch was the wounded solder. We all thought he was dead. The solder suddenly sat up. It scared everyone cuz we all thought he was dead. The solder put both of his hands above his head and was about to fold his hands on top of his head, which is the familiar "Chi hoa" (I surrender) signal.

Before both hands reached the top of his head, our radio man came up behind him and literally blew his head off with a 45 cal pistol.

So the man I had wounded the night before was now dead.

That day we found out the two NVA solders were brothers. They were in the village to see their mother who they hadn't seen since the start of the war.

Both of these solders were unarmed. It was kinda sad how it all turned out.

Amazing and tragic.

But I guess you already know the NVA would have done the same to you, or even worse, if it was the other way round?
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 10:55 by Flare.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 09:51 #34

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
What age were you back then? Great thread, keep it going as long as you can please.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 16:19 #35

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Blooper boy..:)

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 19:03 #36

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Lux Interior wrote:
What age were you back then? Great thread, keep it going as long as you can please.

I was 18 years old.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare, Lux Interior

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 19:52 #37

• peacenik
  • Immortal
This is my laundry boy, 'Som'. pictured with my military gear including my M-79, helmet, and flak vest.

A 'laundry boy' is one of the village kids that ran errands for you, cooked your meals for you, and washed your clothes, in exchange for food, cigarettes, or money. All of us had our own laundry boys.

We also had a dog that took a liking to us, We named him, 'farmer'. He was an ugly looking mutt. Don't know how he stayed alive as long as he did? The Vietnamese ate dogs. The dog followed us everywhere and faithfully stayed with you when it was time for you to go on watch, and didn't make a sound. We all gave the dog a portion of our C-ration to eat. This made someone in the village angry and they poisened the dog and we had to shoot it.
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2019 19:56 by peacenik.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 30 Sep 2019 20:17 #38

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
Lux Interior wrote:

I was 18 years old.

Wow...

M experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Oct 2019 20:50 #39

• peacenik
  • Immortal
This pic was taken in Camp Pendelton California. I am the guy on the right. The guy on the left's name is "Walters". We are both 17 yeas old. To young to be deployed to Vietnam (you had to be at least 18years old).

We became good friends.

Months later we were sent to Vietnam. We were on the same airplane. We were in the same Battalion, but different companies. He in Alpha company, me in Delta company.

Walters was an extraordinary guy. He lived and breathed military life. He was a walking military enclopedia. He knew every military weapon and it's capabilities. He knew every battle strategy from Gengus Kahn to General George Patton. He could tell you how every battle was won or lost. He admired, Adolf Hitler and the NAZI military and had pictures of Hitler his locker at camp Pendelton.

Walters was a one-of-a-kind type guy and a real asset to the Marine Corps.

About a month or two into Vietnam, I went to visit him. He was no longer there. No surprise to me, he had taken one of the most dangerous jobs avaiible which was, field radioman.

I was told, while, walking through the brush, Walters had a couple of hand grenades attached to his chest. A tree branch snagged one of his grenades and accidentally pulled the pin. He had just enough time to throw the grenade away from him but it took off his entire right hand in the process.

Knowing Walters, it wasn't the loss of of his hand that bothered him. His attitude would have been, "oh boy, now I can get a hook on my arm". But I am sure, him being sent home and discharged from the marine corps, broke his heart.

What a tragic loss.

Last Edit: 01 Oct 2019 21:13 by peacenik.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Oct 2019 21:30 #40

• Flare
^ Those are harsh realities.

I guess a lot of accidents must have happened in such a harsh environment as the Viernam jungle.