Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My experiences in the Vietnam war

M experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Oct 2019 21:35 #41

• Flare
Which makes me wonder... how’d you deal with the environment Peacenik?

Must have been very tough in such a surrounding with rain, mud, bushes, insects etc etc. on a daily basis.

Or do you get used to it a bit?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Oct 2019 23:58 #42

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Flare wrote:
^ Those are harsh realities.

I guess a lot of accidents must have happened in such a harsh environment as the Viernam jungle.

I don't how it happened with Walters, I wasn't there. But, I do know, some guys like to strighten out that carter pin that holds the spoon or handle to the grenade. Once the spoon flys off, you have 4 seconds.

Strightening the pin makes it eaiser to pull out. You can even strighten the pin to where you could pull the pin out with your teeth .
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2019 00:00 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

M experiences in the Vietnam war 05 Oct 2019 07:21 #43

• MrAnderson
  • Silver Member
The way you write about these things puts a person reading right there with mud and shit flying around them

Thank you for sharing these experiences I hope you can work on putting them into a collection or book of some sort
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, peacenik, Flare

M experiences in the Vietnam war 06 Oct 2019 13:31 #44

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
I hope the pause here is only temporary, this is a quite poignant and very real thread. That picture of you and that 'blooper' brings home the youth of the army brought into the theatre of war against all life's norms back home.
Hats off to you peacenik, your title takes on depth in this regard.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

Keep an eye on the media and their shills, know their duplicity.
Nothing stirs, only the intense humming of evil remains.

M experiences in the Vietnam war 06 Oct 2019 13:35 #45

• Flare
MrAnderson wrote:
The way you write about these things puts a person reading right there with mud and shit flying around them

Thank you for sharing these experiences I hope you can work on putting them into a collection or book of some sort

^ This. :yup:

M experiences in the Vietnam war 12 Oct 2019 20:49 #46

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
Bump.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

Keep an eye on the media and their shills, know their duplicity.
Nothing stirs, only the intense humming of evil remains.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 13 Oct 2019 22:52 #47

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Little bit of history of, "Dodge City", - the area where I was in Vietnam. ........

"OPERATION MEADE RIVER: MARINE SEARCH-AND-DESTROY CORDON OF THE VIETNAM WAR

Called ö:Dodge Cityö: by the troops because of its shoot-em-up characteristics, the area 10 miles south of Da Nang was familiar ground for the Marines. It was about five miles wide and three miles long. ö:It was low ground,ö: says the official Marine Corps history, ö:criss-crossed with rivers and streams, honeycombed with caves and tunnels; each hamlet, with its bamboo and thorn hedges and its drainage ditches indistinguishable from fighting trenches, was a potential fortified position.ö:"

www.historynet.com/operation-meade-river-marine-search-and-destroy-cordon-of-the-vietnam-war.htm

From left to right...... Gleason, ???, Riley, and myself.
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2019 23:00 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, Flare

My experiences in the Vietnam war 14 Oct 2019 22:26 #48

• peacenik
  • Immortal
We're not talking about the same thing,Flare. Qui Nhon is a coastal city. Dodge City was not coastal and I never saw any MPs outside of the city of Danang.
Last Edit: 14 Oct 2019 22:32 by peacenik.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 14 Oct 2019 22:31 #49

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
We're not talking about the same thing. Qui Nhon is a coastal city. Dodge City was not coastal and I never saw any MPs outside of the city of Danang.

Ah, ok-ok.

I deleted it. :)
User(s) who Liked this post: peacenik

My experiences in the Vietnam war 15 Oct 2019 10:57 #50

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Hey Peacenik, I posted a computer-enhanced pic of Gleason, Riley and you yesterday but it's vanished, know anything about it?

My experiences in the Vietnam war 15 Oct 2019 19:51 #51

• peacenik
  • Immortal
No, I don't but thanks. That pic sure does need some enhancement.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 15 Oct 2019 20:34 #52

• peacenik
  • Immortal
This is a machine gun team in my platoon. The guy on the far right, his name is, "Jenkins" (I think). Don't know the names of the others. The photo was taken in "dodge cit"y 1969

My experiences in the Vietnam war 15 Oct 2019 21:59 #53

• Flare
Ugh wrote:
Hey Peacenik, I posted a computer-enhanced pic of Gleason, Riley and you yesterday but it's vanished, know anything about it?

I deleted that post of yours because you posted an asshole comment along with the enhanced picture.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 15 Oct 2019 22:03 #54

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Flare wrote:
Ugh wrote:

I deleted that post of yours because you posted an asshole comment along with the enhanced picture.

Careful mate, the naughty step..
I simply commented that I was stuck in a bloody shoe factory in England in the late 1960's instead of out in the fresh air in Nam...;)
Okay here's a couple I enhanced-

Last Edit: 15 Oct 2019 22:14 by Ugh.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 25 Oct 2019 21:11 #55

• peacenik
  • Immortal
I believe it was in March of 69' , my company was moving through Dodge City. I will never forget it. I was walking right flank as our unit slowly and methodically moved over the terrian.

Suddenly, there was a huge explosion. What had happened was the guy in the photo in post #47 above (the black guy second from the left) stepped on a booby trapped artillary shell (I believe his name was, Lincoln, or Washington). He lost both of his legs.

Less than a minuet later, another huge explosion. Another marine had just stepped on another booby trapped artillary shell. What had happened was latter(named Lynch or Leech) was running to the aid of the former marine. He to lost both of his legs but much worse, he was running in a crouched position with his face more to the ground.

I still remember the screams.

One of them was screaming for the corpsman (medic) to 'help him find his foot'.

It was a bad day. We lost two men in the course of less than a minuet apart.
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2019 21:50 by peacenik.

My experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Nov 2019 20:20 #56

• peacenik
  • Immortal
November of 1968, I had just turned 18 years old last month. Operation Meade river was in full swing. The operation was chasing all the civilian farmers out of Dodge city.

My job was to detain and move the civilians to designated areas. The ones with I.D. cards, I was to allow to pass, the ones w/o I.D. I was to load into military trucks with canvas coverings.

I am having a grand 'ol time. I point an M-16 at a farmer and ask for I.D. This was my very first job in Vietnam and I was eager to show everyone I could do the job.

A sergeant opened the canvas from the back of the truck and yelled at me, "what the fuk are you doing? I explained my orders to him. He said, "no, no, just the women, just bring the younger women". So, I did.

It took me a while to realize what was going on?

Those guys were raping and molesting those women and I was an unwitting accessory to the crime.

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I witnessed war crimes, including the raping of women and the shooting of innocent farmers.

I have taken a lot of flak for discussing this sort of things with others. They say, "why do you never say anything positive about US troops in Vietnam?". Believe me, I would if I had seen such a thing. I am sure kindness and benevolence did happen. It's just that I didn't see it during my tour.

I still respect those I served with and I try not to judge. But at the same time, I am under moral obligation to keep my experiences in Vietnam, factual.

As I have said before, God is a better judge of these crimes than Man.

I am just telling you what I have experienced w/o any bias.

Last Edit: 01 Nov 2019 20:21 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Lizzy, Flare, Lux Interior

My experiences in the Vietnam war 01 Nov 2019 20:32 #57

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
I believe it was in March of 69' , my company was moving through Dodge City. I will never forget it. I was walking right flank as our unit slowly and methodically moved over the terrian.

Suddenly, there was a huge explosion. What had happened was the guy in the photo in post #47 above (the black guy second from the left) stepped on a booby trapped artillary shell (I believe his name was, Lincoln, or Washington). He lost both of his legs.

Less than a minuet later, another huge explosion. Another marine had just stepped on another booby trapped artillary shell. What had happened was latter(named Lynch or Leech) was running to the aid of the former marine. He to lost both of his legs but much worse, he was running in a crouched position with his face more to the ground.

Woah... knowing what your age was at the time this must have been unreal...

I'm wondering how you dealt with these kind of happenings and how you managed the fear..? Did you sort of get used to these things, or..?

My experiences in the Vietnam war 02 Nov 2019 04:22 #58

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Flare wrote:
peacenik wrote:

Woah... knowing what your age was at the time this must have been unreal...

I'm wondering how you dealt with these kind of happenings and how you managed the fear..? Did you sort of get used to these things, or..?

You get used to it, just like you would with any other culture shock incident, such as loosing a loved one. You just move on.

It wasn't all bad, all the time. I got sent to a Vietnamese language school on China beach for about a month. For R+R (rest and recreation) I went to Bangkok, Thailand for a week and I had the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Ever hear that song, "one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble"? ......It's true!
;)

My experiences in the Vietnam war 02 Nov 2019 10:01 #59

• Flare
peacenik wrote:
You get used to it, just like you would with any other culture shock incident, such as loosing a loved one. You just move on.

It wasn't all bad, all the time. I got sent to a Vietnamese language school on China beach for about a month. For R+R (rest and recreation) I went to Bangkok, Thailand for a week and I had the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Ever hear that song, "one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble"? ......It's true!
;)

Ah, good to hear! :D :)

So at times there was also a lighter side to it...

My experiences in the Vietnam war 02 Nov 2019 22:35 #60

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Flare wrote:
peacenik wrote:

;)

Ah, good to hear! :D :)

So at times there was also a lighter side to it...

Yes, there were at times a lighter side. There was also, what I call a philosophical side.

You would see some marine who was good at everything. everything he touched seemly turned to gold. Always something clever to say. Someone which everyone looked up to and admired. Someone who had everything going for him. Nice home, nice looking girlfriend, college education paid for. He always won at card games. Always got letters and gifts from home.

You think to yourself, God really likes and takes good care of this guy.

Then, one day you find he was killed in action.

You think WTF, how could this happen? It wasn't supposed to be that way.

Then you think to yourself, if God could take this guy's life so easily, what chance did I have? There was nothing special about me. I was a loner all my life. I came from a poor family. Nothing about my life to be admired or envied by anyone.

Why would God kill him and spare me?

It's the kind of thing that prompts you to reevaluate your relationship to God and the World
Last Edit: 03 Nov 2019 00:15 by peacenik.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, Truthspoon, Flare