Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 07:13 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
QUOTE:

(Daisy Luther) It looks like the days of trading half of your peanut butter and jelly sandwich for half of your best friend’s ham sandwich may soon be over if the federal government has anything to do with it.

A Richmond, Virginia mother received the following note, telling her not to pack a lunch for her pre-school age child.

Dear Parents,

I have received word from Federal Programs Preschool pertaining to lunches from home. Parents are to be informed that students can only bring lunches from home if there is a medical condition requiring a specific diet, along with a physicians note to that regard.

I am sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions concerning this matter, please contact Stephanie [redacted] the Health Coordinator for Federal Programs Preschool at [redacted].

Thanks,
Ms. [redacted]

Really?
As a family, we have made the decision to avoid a host of ingredients that are all found in abundance in school lunches. We don’t consume:

-GMOs
-Pesticides
-Artificial colors and flavors
-Preservatives
-Hormone laden meat and dairy

But this week at my daughter’s school, the offerings are:

Corn dog or chicken nuggets, tater tots
Beef tostada boat or PB and J on white bread
Pepperoni pizza or fish sticks with roll
Pretzel sticks with cheese sauce or chicken teriyaki
Cheeseburger or breaded chicken patty with seasoned fries

There is not one thing on that list that falls into our normal diet. Add a side of rBGH-filled milk and a corn-syrup laden “fruit cup” and you have a complete nutritional disaster.

Why should the parents be required to bear the expense of a doctor’s visit to get the required note to be allowed to send healthful, homemade lunches for their children?

I’m glad you asked.

Read the rest at: healthydebates.com/feds-lunches-home-without-doctors-note-school-lunch
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 18 Nov 2013 07:14 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 08:04 #2

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
That's so fucked up! Thank god there's not that sort of rules in here, although, the school food is total garbage, but there's no restrictions for bringing your own, many kids avoid school food and for good reason too.

Just like kids wouldn't get enough poison to their systems anyway.... Feds make sure they do.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 09:04 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I guess this is another thing that home schooling advocates will look at and say, yep theres another reason to home school.

They are into the corn syrup sweeteners in a big way over there too, unlike most other countries where sugar is used... im not an expert but ive read that due to subsidies and/or sugar taxes and whatnot, it ends up cheaper than sugar.

Most of the corn in USA is GMO, and aside from that there have been some studies showing that sweeteners from corn dont behave the same as cane sugar or honey in the human body... negative effects.
1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 09:08 #4

• jonb
It is proposed that the same will become common practice it the UK. Already school lunches brought in from home are inspected, and offending items which are not considered right by the state are removed.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 13:03 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
When I was at school, the dinners were decent.....freshly cooked main course consisting of meat veg spuds whatever, then pudding to follow....typically sponge & custard.

For some kids, it was their main meal of the day.

Now its crap like chicken nuggets or pizza they serve up.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 13:24 #6

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
When I was in school the food was mostly good... It has went seriously down hill in here. :( The reason is smaller food budget as far as I know. And the school kitchen folks hate it. I've heard it from horses mouth, that if the cooks could have a word on what they use for feeding the kids, the food would be probably three times more expensive and much better. Too bad its not their call..

And poor kids who have to eat crap. Smaller the school, better the food. When I was in art school, there we had very good food, but cooking for around seventy students is easy easier to do decently, if there's one thousand students, well everything is made from cheapest crap possible.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 14:01 #7

• jonb
Hex Finland is still much better than Britain, I cannot find the exact figures, but I think you will find your country still spends more on a meal at school than we do the average British school meal is 40 pence. That is not just for ingredients, but the whole budget including wages for cooking and cleaning up afterwards.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 15:22 #8

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I'm sure of that. But the quality of school foods varies VERY much depending on the school. Some places have total crap for food, others make excellent food. Luckily, there are no restrictions for kids eating their own lunch if they want. Heck, schools even make special foods for kids with special diets etc. It's not that bad here yet, but since my time, the food quality in schools has dropped a lot.

That's bad! Worst I've heard in here is around 20 cents/day/student, but that's only for the food.. Most places have it better.

But I still don't get it, why couldn't kids bring their own lunch, why does it need to be checked or totally denied, it doesn't make sense. Any other than its a way to force feed that shit to all kids.
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 17:37 #9

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Not all parents send their children to school with a good/healthy packed lunch. If I remember correctly, I read about one women who sent her daughter to school with smarties, between two slices of bread.

Yes, I did remember correctly....

The mother who sent her child to school with a Smartie sandwich

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2093393/The-Smartie-sandwich-Shocking-filling-packed-lunch-sparks-new-healthy-eating-drive.html

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 17:40 #10

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
There's nothing wrong with a packed lunch, as long as it's healthy...

Children's packed lunches 'lack fruit and veg'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15123065

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 17:54 #11

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
This from my Grandsons School......

.............. is proud to have the Healthy Schools Award and works hard to promote healthy lifestyles and teach children to make healthy choices in their lives.

Every morning the children are provided with a free snack of fresh fruit which they are encouraged to eat.

For children up to the age of five, free milk is provided and for those who are older it can be purchased and provided in school at break time. To register parents contact....................

In addition to this all children are required to bring to school a bottle of fresh water each day. Free access to this is encouraged in classes to ensure they remain hydrated throughout the day.

The importance of a healthy diet is actively promoted and families are asked not to include sweets, chocolate or fizzy drinks in lunch boxes. Due to the allergies some children experience we actively promote a no nuts policy, requesting that they are not included in pupils lunchboxes, school dinners or food related activities in school.

Throughout the school healthy lifestyles are promoted including outdoor pursuits such as gardening and sports.

Walking to school and membership of the ........... Walking Buses is promoted. Parents and carers are actively encouraged to participate in this scheme to promote healthy lifestyles, teach children about their responsibility to create a sustainable environment and to reduce traffic in our community.

School meals at his School.......

LUNCH MENU WEEK 1

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
Jacket Potato with Cheese & Beans V

Mixed Vegetables

Salad
Bread
Pasta Bolognaise
Veggie Bolognaise V

Broccoli

Green Salad
Garlic Bread
Roast Pork
or
Veggie Crumble V

Stuffing
Roast Potatoes
Carrots
Cabbage
Gravy

Salad
Bread
Chicken Casserole or
Quorn Casserole V

Boiled Potatoes
Green Beans
Sweetcorn

Salad
Bread
Sausages
or
Veggie Quiche V

Chips
Baked Beans
Spaghetti

Salad
Bread

Steamed Chocolate Sponge with Chocolate Sauce
Fruit
Yoghurt

Apricot Crumble and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Gingerbread Cookie

Fruit
Yoghurt

Cornflake Tart and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt
Ice Ginger Cake

Fruit
Yoghurt

LUNCH MENU WEEK 2

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
Pepperoni Pizza or Cheese & Tomato Pizza V

New Potatoes
Peas
Grilled Tomatoes

Salad
Bread
Chilli
or
Veggie Chilli V

Rice
Carrots
Broccoli

Salad
Bread
Roast Beef or Cauliflower Cheese V

Roast Potatoes
Roast Parsnips
Cabbage
Gravy

Salad
Bread
Meatballs
or
Roasted Vegetable Risotto V

Pasta
Green Beans
Cauliflower

Salad
Bread

Salmon Fish Fingers
or
Veggie Puff V

Chips
Beans or Spaghetti

Salad
Bread

Fruit Goodie

Fruit
Yoghurt

Jam Sponge & Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Peaches and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Oat Cookie
Milk

Fruit
Yoghurt

Iced Sponge

Fruit
Yoghurt

LUNCH MENU WEEK 3

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY

Sausage and Mashed Potato with Onion Gravy
or
Macaroni Cheese V

Peas

Salad
Bread

Chicken and Veg Pie or
Veggie Pie V

Boiled Potatoes Broccoli
Carrotsi

Salad
Bread

Roast Gammon
or
Aussie Pie V

Roast Potatoes
Roast Root Veg
Cauliflower
Gravy

Salad
Bread

Cottage Pie
or
Vegetable Cottage Pie V

Mixed Veg
Gravy

Salad
Bread

Cod Fish Fingers
or
Spicy Cheese Wraps V

Chips
Beans or
Spaghetti Hoops

Salad
Bread

Cherry Sponge with Vanilla Sauce

Fruit
Yoghurt

Rice Pudding and Jam
Fruit
Yoghurt

Ice Cream Tubs

Fruit

Wheat Crunch
Fruit

Yoghurt

Jelly and Shortbread
Fruit
Yoghurt

All looks very nice to me. I also looked at the menu of what would be considered, a deprived area.... school menu...

Lunch

Children either have school dinners or packed lunch. Our school dinners are cooked on the premises and always include freshly baked wholemeal bread, a salad bar and fresh fruit. The ingredients are as local and organic as possible. The kitchen is nut free. There are daily gluten free and vegan options.
www.gayhurst.hackney.sch.uk/page/?title=Lunch&pid=44
Last Edit: 18 Nov 2013 18:08 by pheony.

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 17:57 #12

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Has America gone mad?

It's police are running around judging and executing people within a split second time-frame (so, no chance of an appeal there then, eh?).
It's politicians are overtly robbing them and making war on anyone who is vaguely brown and stands still longer than 3 seconds.
It's population survives on medications.
Vast numbers are being thrown out of their homes (some fully paid for) to join the already vast numbers homeless on the streets.

And now, for those who can still afford it, the Government dictates what they can or can't feed their children. :conf:

Here next, methinks. What America does today, our tacky little plot trips over itself to copy tomorrow. We all wanna be Americans, apparently......... 'cept me. :D
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Last Edit: 18 Nov 2013 18:38 by cantata.

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 18:41 #13

• cantata
  • Silver Member
pheony wrote:
This from my Grandsons School......

.............. is proud to have the Healthy Schools Award and works hard to promote healthy lifestyles and teach children to make healthy choices in their lives.

Every morning the children are provided with a free snack of fresh fruit which they are encouraged to eat.

For children up to the age of five, free milk is provided and for those who are older it can be purchased and provided in school at break time. To register parents contact....................

In addition to this all children are required to bring to school a bottle of fresh water each day. Free access to this is encouraged in classes to ensure they remain hydrated throughout the day.

The importance of a healthy diet is actively promoted and families are asked not to include sweets, chocolate or fizzy drinks in lunch boxes. Due to the allergies some children experience we actively promote a no nuts policy, requesting that they are not included in pupils lunchboxes, school dinners or food related activities in school.

Throughout the school healthy lifestyles are promoted including outdoor pursuits such as gardening and sports.

Walking to school and membership of the ........... Walking Buses is promoted. Parents and carers are actively encouraged to participate in this scheme to promote healthy lifestyles, teach children about their responsibility to create a sustainable environment and to reduce traffic in our community.

School meals at his School.......

LUNCH MENU WEEK 1

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
Jacket Potato with Cheese & Beans V

Mixed Vegetables

Salad
Bread
Pasta Bolognaise
Veggie Bolognaise V

Broccoli

Green Salad
Garlic Bread
Roast Pork
or
Veggie Crumble V

Stuffing
Roast Potatoes
Carrots
Cabbage
Gravy

Salad
Bread
Chicken Casserole or
Quorn Casserole V

Boiled Potatoes
Green Beans
Sweetcorn

Salad
Bread
Sausages
or
Veggie Quiche V

Chips
Baked Beans
Spaghetti

Salad
Bread

Steamed Chocolate Sponge with Chocolate Sauce
Fruit
Yoghurt

Apricot Crumble and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Gingerbread Cookie

Fruit
Yoghurt

Cornflake Tart and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt
Ice Ginger Cake

Fruit
Yoghurt

LUNCH MENU WEEK 2

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
Pepperoni Pizza or Cheese & Tomato Pizza V

New Potatoes
Peas
Grilled Tomatoes

Salad
Bread
Chilli
or
Veggie Chilli V

Rice
Carrots
Broccoli

Salad
Bread
Roast Beef or Cauliflower Cheese V

Roast Potatoes
Roast Parsnips
Cabbage
Gravy

Salad
Bread
Meatballs
or
Roasted Vegetable Risotto V

Pasta
Green Beans
Cauliflower

Salad
Bread

Salmon Fish Fingers
or
Veggie Puff V

Chips
Beans or Spaghetti

Salad
Bread

Fruit Goodie

Fruit
Yoghurt

Jam Sponge & Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Peaches and Custard

Fruit
Yoghurt

Oat Cookie
Milk

Fruit
Yoghurt

Iced Sponge

Fruit
Yoghurt

LUNCH MENU WEEK 3

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY

Sausage and Mashed Potato with Onion Gravy
or
Macaroni Cheese V

Peas

Salad
Bread

Chicken and Veg Pie or
Veggie Pie V

Boiled Potatoes Broccoli
Carrotsi

Salad
Bread

Roast Gammon
or
Aussie Pie V

Roast Potatoes
Roast Root Veg
Cauliflower
Gravy

Salad
Bread

Cottage Pie
or
Vegetable Cottage Pie V

Mixed Veg
Gravy

Salad
Bread

Cod Fish Fingers
or
Spicy Cheese Wraps V

Chips
Beans or
Spaghetti Hoops

Salad
Bread

Cherry Sponge with Vanilla Sauce

Fruit
Yoghurt

Rice Pudding and Jam
Fruit
Yoghurt

Ice Cream Tubs

Fruit

Wheat Crunch
Fruit

Yoghurt

Jelly and Shortbread
Fruit
Yoghurt

All looks very nice to me. I also looked at the menu of what would be considered, a deprived area.... school menu...

Lunch

Children either have school dinners or packed lunch. Our school dinners are cooked on the premises and always include freshly baked wholemeal bread, a salad bar and fresh fruit. The ingredients are as local and organic as possible. The kitchen is nut free. There are daily gluten free and vegan options.
www.gayhurst.hackney.sch.uk/page/?title=Lunch&pid=44

This is what they should all be like (and perhaps especially for children on free school meals, who might only get to eat well once in a day).

My daughter's Middle school in Bury St Edmunds provided meals like this; her current school (Trinity in Leamington) has ridiculous foods like ham panini and pizza slices (at £1.80 per slice).

Bring back proper school dinners, with the pudding to follow and let's start FEEDING the youngsters again. Too many of them are going without food in their bellies.

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 18:47 #14

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
My post came out a bit looooooooooooooong. It didn't look like that before I copy and pasted it. :emb: :P

Yes, cantata this is what school meals should be like. They remind me of the food that was served when I was at school. I loved school dinners. More please, Miss? Can I have seconds please, Miss? :D
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 19:28 #15

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
Bring back proper school dinners, with the pudding to follow and let's start FEEDING the youngsters again. Too many of them are going without food in their bellies.

^ This.

As I said above, when I was at school, for many kids that meal was the only decent one they were getting all day.

I suspect that is still the case many kids rely on that dinner for whatever reason....less than ideal homelives etc....but all too often they aren't even getting at least that one daily nutritionally balanced meal now are they.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 19:34 #16

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Some areas have introduced breakfast clubs, because children are going to school hungry.....

www.childrensfoodtrust.org.uk/research/behaviourandattainment/breakfast-clubs-in-primary-schools

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 19:53 #17

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Yes, some schools have recently started those in some areas of Manchester so I've heard.

Can only be a good thing eh.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

USA Feds: No Lunches From Home Without Doctor’s Note, School Lunch Only 18 Nov 2013 21:30 #18

• cantata
  • Silver Member
It's horrible to think of youngsters going without food - even worse because it's in this country now too and we DO have the wealth to afford food for all. Breakfast Clubs are okay in the absence of anything better, but it is still more important to make sure the children and youngsters are getting a good, substantial meal every day. Bring back proper school dinners and puddings, there's no way around that and no better solution.

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer