Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 03 Dec 2013 12:58 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Occasionally we should give thanks for the European Union. One of these occasions concerns David Cameron’s increasingly sordid and humiliating journey around China, which mercifully ends tomorrow.
Yesterday the Prime Minister announced that Britain would be China’s greatest advocate as he called for a free-trade pact between the European Union and Europe.
Mr Cameron failed to mention the drawbacks: China’s naked protectionism; the constant theft of international patents by Chinese companies; the manipulation of the renminbi to favour Chinese exporters and keep out importers; the abuse of the rule of law to destroy successful foreign businesses; the unconditional Chinese support for some of the world’s most loathsome dictatorships; the destruction of Tibet; contempt for human rights; the absence of free speech; the oppression of large sections of the population.
Luckily the EU was on hand to pour cold water on the British Prime Minister. Brussels spokesman Alexandre Polack slaps down Mr Cameron in today’s Wall Street Journal. "We believe that it’s premature at the moment to discuss a free-trade agreement with China," says Mr Polack, insisting that there are many details to be thrashed out before the EU enters into trade agreement of any kind with the Chinese.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100248700/david-camerons-kowtowing-to-china-earns-deserved-slapdown-from-brussels/
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 03 Dec 2013 17:51 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I said it in another thread the other day....we should not be dealing with/pandering to China. If we do, we're going to be the new 'third world' within the next half-century.

& We shouldn't be pandering to the EU either. Democracy? I'm not seeing any in the EU, and certainly not China.

The only way ahead is for the UK to deal with its traditional Commonwealth friends....that are still relatively democratic....we should be the ones trading with each other and supporting each other.

What we are now seeing is the decline of the West and the emergence of new superpowers that don't even pretend to be democratic (that includes the EU as well as China)....and we need to stand together against them.
The pen is mightier than the sword

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 03 Dec 2013 18:05 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I used the word 'democratic' to describe how countries like the UK are there. What I mean by that is 'civilised'.

China isn't civilised. Sorry about that Chinese folks...its not a criticism directed at you as people personally....its directed at the system that rules you..

It's ok though because you're probably not going to ever read this anyway....your internet is censored.
The pen is mightier than the sword

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 07 Dec 2013 21:43 #4

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
This political-scoring tour of China came as a great disappointment to me, both for its implications that Cameron's presence and intentions speak for the UK as a whole, and and for it's cost in times of reduced government spending.
I am unconvinced that the vast majority of citizens and residents think very highly of all the drawbacks you mention in your OP, pheony, and I am sure that many would rather the UK were not associated with China for these reasons. The biggest aversion for me is China's track record of human rights abuses and genocide of neighbouring peoples.
Too, it first occurred to me that teleconferencing is very inexpensive and yet effective -many corporations use it for meetings with colleagues and departments globally, saves time and cuts costs. I am not comfortable with government leaders spending lavishly to swan around foreign places unnecessarily, especially when they are claiming that the poorest and most ill and infirm must suffer to balance the government accounts, and especially when food relief efforts are instituted by world organisations because of hunger and malnutrition have become a public health emergency.
Acidic comments, yes, but the truth is not always easy to swallow.

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 07 Dec 2013 21:53 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
You speak the truth, syxx. China's human rights are getting worse not better. Cameron is probably asking for tips...not that he really needs them.

www.csmonitor.com/World/2013/0802/US-China-s-human-rights-situation-is-getting-worse

David Cameron's kowtowing to China earns deserved slapdown from Brussels 08 Dec 2013 06:46 #6

• HYPERTlGER
  • User is blocked
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare