Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 10 May 2013 11:23 #1

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
'Monsanto Protection Act': 5 Terrifying Things To Know About The HR 933 Provision

The "Monsanto Protection Act" is the name opponents of the Farmer Assurance Provision have given to this terrifying piece of policy, and it's a fitting moniker given its shocking content.

President Barack Obama signed a spending bill, HR 933, into law on Tuesday that includes language that has food and consumer advocates and organic farmers up in arms over their contention that the so-called "Monsanto Protection Act" is a giveaway to corporations that was passed under the cover of darkness.

There's a lot being said about it, but here are five terrifying facts about the Farmer Assurance Provision -- Section 735 of the spending bill -- to get you acquainted with the reasons behind the ongoing uproar:

1.) The "Monsanto Protection Act" effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of controversial genetically modified (aka GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds, no matter what health issues may arise concerning GMOs in the future. The advent of genetically modified seeds -- which has been driven by the massive Monsanto Company -- and their exploding use in farms across America came on fast and has proved a huge boon for Monsanto's profits.

But many anti-GMO folks argue there have not been enough studies into the potential health risks of this new class of crop. Well, now it appears that even if those studies are completed and they end up revealing severe adverse health effects related to the consumption of genetically modified foods, the courts will have no ability to stop the spread of the seeds and the crops they bear.

2.) The provision's language was apparently written in collusion with Monsanto. Lawmakers and companies working together to craft legislation is by no means a rare occurrence in this day and age. But the fact that Sen. Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri, actually worked with Monsanto on a provision that in effect allows them to keep selling seeds, which can then go on to be planted, even if it is found to be harmful to consumers, is stunning. It's just another example of corporations bending Congress to their will, and it's one that could have dire risks for public health in America.

3.) Many members of Congress were apparently unaware that the "Monsanto Protection Act" even existed within the bill they were voting on. HR 933 was a spending bill aimed at averting a government shutdown and ensuring that the federal government would continue to be able to pay its bills. But the Center for Food Safety maintains that many Democrats in Congress were not even aware that the provision was in the legislation:

“In this hidden backroom deal, Sen. [Barbara] Mikulski turned her back on consumer, environmental and farmer protection in favor of corporate welfare for biotech companies such as Monsanto,” Andrew Kimbrell, executive director of the Center for Food Safety, said in a statement. “This abuse of power is not the kind of leadership the public has come to expect from Sen. Mikulski or the Democrat Majority in the Senate.”

4.) The President did nothing to stop it, either. On Tuesday, Obama signed HR 933 while the rest of the nation was fixated on gay marriage, as the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral argument concerning California's Proposition 8. But just because most of the nation and the media were paying attention to gay marriage doesn't mean that others were not doing their best to express their opposition to the "Monsanto Protection Act." In fact, more than 250,000 voters signed a petition opposing the provision. And Food Democracy Now protesters even took their fight straight to Obama, protesting in front of the White House against Section 735 of the bill. He signed it anyway.

5.) It sets a terrible precedent. Though it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations, the message it sends is that corporations can get around consumer safety protections if they get Congress on their side. Furthermore, it sets a precedent that suggests that court challenges are a privilege, not a right.

“I think any time you tweak with the ability of the public to seek redress from the courts, you create a huge risk,” Seattle attorney Bill Marler -- who has represented victims of foodborne illness in successful lawsuits against corporations -- told the New York Daily News.

www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-protection-act-5-terrifying-things-know-about-hr-933-provision-1156079
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Assurance_Provision

They do no longer hide their satanic guidestone agenda, they think they already won!

"The truth must be repeated over and over again,
because error is repeatedly preached among us, not
only by individuals, but by the masses. In periodicals
and cyclopaedias, in schools and universities; every-
where, in fact, error prevails, and is quite easy in the
feeling that it has a decided majority on its side."

~ J. W. v. Goethe

Johannes Lang "The Hollow World Theory" Blog
My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
Last Edit: 10 May 2013 11:27 by PFIZIPFEI.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Lizzy, cantata, username, sketti

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 30 Jul 2013 23:21 #2

• Lizzy
  • Gold Member
hi PHIZ ...yes, I read this recently.....it IS indeed time to buy.....for me storage in a cool / cold place is going to be the problem.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, PFIZIPFEI

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 30 Jul 2013 23:33 #3

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Wow, look at that Judge Clarence Thomas' eyes! :O Talk about "psycho".

But do people remember the "Stepford Wives" thread on DIFs: in it, someone (can't recall which poster) gave some very good information on "sanpaku eyes". Based on traditional Chinese (I think) medicine, the sclera showing above on below the eyes were meant to mean "danger".

As I remember the theory: White showing above the eyes were said to tell of "danger to that person from the outside"; white showing below the eyes (as in this judge's case) was said to indicate "danger from within", including possession by evil forces!

:O
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, PFIZIPFEI

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 30 Jul 2013 23:48 #4

• cantata
  • Silver Member
It seems I got that the wrong way around. :D What's new! Anyway, I found this snippet of an article about it:

www.whale.to/c/sanpaku.html

:)

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 31 Jul 2013 00:34 #5

• cantata
  • Silver Member
But, not wanting to derail the thread - I should say that, while really not a gardener, I actually hate gardening! - earlier in the year, for some reason, I thought I'd plant some garden peas and French beans, just because...

And they are growing really well now. :D I haven't got any beans showing yet, although the plants are big and healthy looking; but I have several pea-pods on the plants (no peas inside... yet!) and they've been no hardship to get along with. I popped them in pots and water them daily - and that's it and it's actually quite satisfying. :D

It's a pity more people don't grow some things for themselves because it kind of sparks a liking for growing stuff. I might try something more ambitious next year, like tomatoes or potatoes down the bottom of the garden (which is left unused). And I will definitely be keeping some of the peas and beans to grow from again next year too.

:)

User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, Hexhammer, PFIZIPFEI, username

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 31 Jul 2013 10:16 #6

• username
Good post Pfiz.

As I've said in ither threads I'm not against genetic modification in principle but your OP shows exactly the wrong way to go about it, by taking steps in legally protecting an aggressive company to gain more control over it

edit - I didn't see the OP at the original time of posting
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013 10:17 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, PFIZIPFEI

Hungary throws out Monsanto 15 Aug 2013 12:20 #7

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Hungary throws out Monsanto 08 Dec 2013 09:55 #8

• hagrid
  • Fresh Member
The EU wants to stop us all having Heritage(non hybrid) seeds, they want to stop anything that is not on their "registered" list, so that will mean everything will be F1, time to stock up on all the old time seeds you can get before they disappear from sight for ever.
User(s) who Liked this post: PFIZIPFEI, jonb

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 08 Dec 2013 10:36 #9

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Monsanto, one of the most evil things on this planet.
Control the food, control the masses.
How can it ever be right to GM a seed so the plant grows and contains poison that kills insects whilst the crop from that plant is supposedly safe for the human food chain?

Hagrid, seed banks are big business in the prepper market nowadays (but guess you know that already).

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 08 Dec 2013 10:48 #10

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Worzel wrote:
How can it ever be right to GM a seed so the plant grows and contains poison that kills insects whilst the crop from that plant is supposedly safe for the human food chain?

The other thing being done also of course is some GM plants being engineeed to be resistant to herbicides. So the farmer can spray the field with round up to kill the weeds but the crop lives, whereas the non GM crop would die from the herbicide.(as do pretty much all non GM plants, they die when round up'd)

Not exactly natural or normal is it. :umm:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 08 Dec 2013 10:57 #11

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
novum wrote:
Worzel wrote:

The other thing being done also of course is some GM plants being engineeed to be resistant to herbicides. So the farmer can spray the field with round up to kill the weeds but the crop lives, whereas the non GM crop would die from the herbicide.(as do pretty much all non GM plants, they die when round up'd)

Not exactly natural or normal is it. :umm:

Oh remind me who makes roundup ;)
And they have been tweaking selective herbicides for 20+ years the bastards!
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 16 Feb 2015 15:35 #12

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
Latest Monsanto Related Developments

Ukraine Denouement

In the wake of austerity, the IMF throws its Number Two punch. The debtor economy must pay by selling off whatever assets the government can find that foreign investors want. For Ukraine, investors want its rich farmland. Monsanto has been leasing its land and would like to buy. But Ukraine has a law against alienating its farmland and agricultural land to foreigners. The IMF no doubt will insist on repeal of this law, along with Ukraine’s dismantling of public regulations against foreign investment.

www.counterpunch.org/2015/02/16/ukraine-denouement/

Monsanto nears its ‘largest biotech trait launch’

To counter a “super weed” epidemic plaguing farmers, agribusiness giant Monsanto is steadily moving forward on the introduction of its next major wave of genetically engineered crops.

But — citing environmental and sustainability concerns — critics argue that step forward is actually a substantial leap back.

Similar to viruses that have adapted to frequently used antibiotics over time, super weeds have gained immunity to herbicides. Weed scientists estimate there are more than 400 different herbicide-resistant weeds around the world. Resistant weeds hurt crops by competing for sunlight and nutrients.

St. Louis-based Monsanto’s biotechnology team has been working on two new soybean and cotton varieties designed to withstand dicamba — an infrequently used herbicide that weeds have not caught up with yet — for nearly a decade.

“These new technologies will help farmers achieve better harvests, which will help meet the demand to nourish the growing population,” said Miriam Paris, Monsanto’s Xtend system launch manager.

Propelled by recent U.S. Department of Agriculture deregulation, Monsanto anticipates the seeds will help fight the super weeds and lead what a January first-quarter earnings report labeled the “largest biotech trait launch in its history.”

The varieties were fully deregulated by the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service on Jan. 15. They will be part of the company’s Roundup Ready Xtend package and are scheduled for a 2016 launch. The USDA deregulation followed a profitable year for Monsanto, as the company’s annual report shows it posted $2.74 billion in net income for 2014.

While small-scale farmers and industry officials have welcomed the deregulation, critics worry it will prompt a greater dependence on the toxic chemicals that caused the super weed problem in the first place.

Read more: www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2015/02/13/monsanto-largest-biotech-trait-launch-dicamba/23370353/

8 Reasons Monsanto is Defeating GMO Labeling Initiatives

The moneyed corporations running the GMO show certainly don’t make it easy. Now that they have won not one, but four different GMO labeling battles, what makes anyone think we can win against Monsanto, Dow, Syngenta, Bayer, Cargill, and the GMA, just to name a few Round-Up-Ready giants? Though a difficult food war to overcome, we do have the power and collective voice to win – but we must all know what we’re up against.

“If you are going through hell, keep going.” ~ Winston Churchill

First, we were defeated in Washington and California, then came Oregon and Colorado. Not to mention Vermont and Maui County are still up to their necks in Monsanto fertilizer, trying to win their right to democratically voted-upon GMO labeling initiatives in drawn out court battles.

So what, besides ridiculous (and often illegal) campaign spending, still stands between us and knowing what is in our food?

Sure, Prop 37 in California was defeated by a slim margin using agro-chemical money to the tune of $47 million, but there must be something more. The proposition lost by less than 2%.

Indeed, GMO labeling supporters were outspent by 5 to 1, but what else allowed biotech to win in this and other labeling campaigns?

Read more: www.globalresearch.ca/5430867/5430867

Lawsuit: EPA violated law in approving Dow herbicide

WASHINGTON – The Environmental Protection Agency violated the Endangered Species Act by approving a new Dow AgroSciences herbicide without consulting with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, farm and environmental groups charged Monday.

Read more: www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2015/02/09/epa-dow-herbicide-ruling/23149299/

Australia: Intellectual Property (IP) Rights for plants in Australia

In Australia, new plant varieties can be protected by both Plant Breeder's Rights (PBR) and patents. The form of protection which is most appropriate for a given plant variety will require a consideration of the rights provided by each, and the requirements that must be met to obtain them.

Why protect plants in Australia

Agriculture is recognised by the Australian government as being one of the "five pillars" of the national economy. In 2013-14 Australian farm production was valued at just over $50 billion, with the largest contribution coming from wheat.

Read more: www.mondaq.com/australia/x/374036/Patent/Intellectual+Property+IP+Rights+for+plants+in+Australia

U.S. Approves First Genetically Engineered Apples

WASHINGTON, DC, February 13, 2015 (ENS) – The first genetically engineered apples were today approved for planting and sale in the United States by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The two approved apple varieties are genetically engineered to resist browning. They were developed by the Canadian company Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. and will be marketed as the Arctic® Granny and Arctic® Golden.

Read more: ens-newswire.com/2015/02/13/u-s-approves-first-genetically-engineered-apples/

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI

Friedman STRATFOR Chicago Council on Global Affairs Gates 17 Mar 2015 11:29 #13

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

While doing a bit of research on the above, because of the relevance of the Friedman / STRATFOR speech truth-zone.net/forum/news-and-current-affairs/65384-so-where-is-putin.html?start=60#157291 I came across their close relationship with MONSANTO.

On May 21, Monsanto President and Chief Commercial Officer Brett Begemann participates on a panel at the 2013 Chicago Council Global Food Security Symposium in Washington, D.C. 404 : Page Not Found The panel, titled “A New Science of Agriculture to Advance Global Food Security,” will feature Begemann and distinguished experts in the field of food and nutrition security from institutions and organizations such as The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and Washington University.

Full article: www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/brett-begemann-global-food-security-panel.aspx
www.corporationwiki.com/California/Oxnard/brett-begemann-P7072106.aspx
www.wikinvest.com/stock/Monsanto_Company_%28MON%29/Summary_Compensation_Table

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015 11:31 by PFIZIPFEI.

MONSANTO - Lobbyist refuses glass of water containing carcinogen despite saying its safe 29 Mar 2015 20:27 #14

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

Lobbyist refuses glass of water containing carcinogen

despite saying its safe

A lobbyist has refused to drink a glass of water containing a potentially cancer-causing pesticide during an interview despite repeatedly claiming the chemical is completely harmless.

Dr Patrick Moore, a Canadian lobbyist employed by farming products manufacturer Monsanto, was being interviewed on French television as part of an investigation into genetically modified foods when the interviewer asked him about the evidence linking glyphosate to an increased risk of cancer. ...

MSN News

Source: nsu-leaks.freeforums.net/post/16764/thread

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
Last Edit: 29 Mar 2015 20:28 by PFIZIPFEI.

MONSANTO - Why aren’t Americans more concerned about GMO labeling? 12 Oct 2015 10:40 #15

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

Video description:

Congress is looking to push through a bill that would make it nearly impossible to require agricultural giants like Monsanto and food makers to label their food if it contains genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Legal and media analyst “Lionel” takes a look at why more Americans aren’t clamoring for labels on their food.

Reference on TZ:

- POLL: Genetically modified crops (GMCs, GMO's, GM crops, or biotech crops) - The GM thread
- TTIP - Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI
Last Edit: 12 Oct 2015 14:52 by PFIZIPFEI.

MONSANTO - Why aren’t Americans more concerned about GMO labeling? 18 Sep 2016 10:13 #16

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI

MONSANTO - TOXIC PARODY 23 Sep 2016 11:37 #17

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD

~ J. W. v. Goethe

My Zone by PFIZIPFEI

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 07 Nov 2016 21:42 #18

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Yes ive seen evidence of plants changing to suit their environment of course... if what i read once is indeed true, a study somewhere in Australia found that after a number of years and generations, the DNA of a plant taken from overseas and planted in australian conditions was slightly different to the mother plant it originally came from, and this is not anything meddled with by humans, it was apparently just natural adaptation over time, which makes sense.

Im lucky right now to have some relatives who are quite vigilant at keeping seeds and have done so for decades and i get some plants from them, tomatoes for one and there are more, i also have a few fruit and nut trees on the go and they are GMO free old varieties. Some of this stuff came from europe in suitcases, literally, before everything was so policed now at the borders and entry points... seeds and live prunings for grafts in the on board luggage back in the day.

Things in the supermarkets just tend to get worse and worse especially the big chains who are more concerned with 'perfection' blemish free stuff, and they also tend to want to only deal with the largest of suppliers while the little guys get wiped out, maximum profit and who cares about what the people are eating as far as theyre concerned.

Even mass produced spuds can be quite nasty, full of chemicals and especially when they spray them to kill the exposed leaf part in order to machine harvest.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 07 Nov 2016 21:48 #19

• bd
  • Silver Member
  • bikerdruid
Time to save and trade open-pollinated seeds.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

Monsanto Protection Act - Time to Buy Seeds 07 Nov 2016 22:06 #20

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Yes, clearly you understand what is done, many dont.

I was at a natural salt lake the other day gathering 3 buckets full.. some tourists saw me and seemed concerned that the salt could be consumed as it is.. well this site used to be mined on a fairly large scale and the salt sold as is back in the early to mid 20th century, but its now a park as there are bigger salt lakes for todays corporations to set up shop at and mine...and this national park is all natural.

I was thinking, you go buy your supermarket salt full of anti-caking agent added and god knows what else, i'll stick to my natural salt. lol.

So yes i agree with you and alot of people just arent educated about the reality of what they are consuming, but as long as it looks 'perfect' and clean to them they think its great.. then add to that the ever meddling authorities trying to tell us what is and isnt good for us, or what is safe for us, when those of us who know what we are doing have been doing just fine without them for so long, for many generations, with knowledge passed down.

1365 = 1

• Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare