Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strange sounds in ears.

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 03:19 #1

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I've just been listening to stuff on my headphones as is my wont :D when suddenly at the end of a song there was a high pitched ringing in my right ear, and a rushing sound in my left like white noise... I went slightly deaf for a few seconds :hahano: my left ear sounds like a mild version of when a gun went off next to my ear.
This shit better have righted itself by the time I wake up anyway :hahano:

Have any of you peeps had weird stuff go on with your ears?
Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013 03:52 by irrepressible.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 03:24 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
irrepressible wrote:
I've just been listening to stuff on my headphones as is my wont :D when suddenly at the end of a song there was a high pitched ringing in my right ear, and a rushing sound in my left like white noise... I went slightly deaf for a few seconds :hahano: my left ear sounds like a mild version of when a gun went of next to my ear.
This shit better have righted itself by the time I wake up anyway :hahano:

Have any of you peeps had weird stuff go on with your ears?

You've probably had the music too loud. :D
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 03:27 #3

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yeah probably :emb: I think it's time to give my ears a little rest from listening to music all the time :D I listen for hours on end sometimes, that can't be good :chuckle:

It seems to be subsiding a bit now anyway, I'll have to pay more heed to my headphone habit :chuckle:
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 03:38 #4

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I thought I was getting like Ludwig van B for a second there :hahano:

I had problems with my ears as a kid, glue ear, had to have grommets fitted. Then that buffoon of a mate of mine fired a replica handgun next to my ear by accident :roll: since then I've had tinnitus in my right ear.

I might get my ears looked at actually, I think I've lost hearing a bit in my right. I can still hear high pitched sounds so it can't be that bad really.

When I went to Japan one time, I was deaf for days after getting off the plane, my ears just wouldn't pop.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 10:40 #5

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I've had plenty of these things happen... The ringing/deafening feeling, which goes away usually in few minutes or so. I also get this cracking noise in my ears if there's some way too loud noise, it's like a speaker distortion if there's too much amplification. Easy way to know if I'm too close to the PA at gigs.

Funny thing with my hearing is that I don't have tinnitus to mention about, but I do have a slight drop, maybe just few dB, between 4kHz and 6kHz. I guess nearly twenty years of drumming have started to take its toll.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 10:58 #6

• username
irrepressible wrote:
I thought I was getting like Ludwig van B for a second there :hahano:

It's alright man, you'll kjust have to go round biting things if you want to hear them. Amongst family and friends perfectly acceptable :D
Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013 10:58 by username.

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:00 #7

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I sometimes get that cracking speaker distortion type noise in my ears Hex, it usually effects one ear, it mostly happens when my mum shouts :D that's how loud she is :chuckle:
I've been listening to earphones/headphones for about 25 years now, sometimes fairly loud, that must be taking it's toll now. But my hearing has always been quite good apart from the tinnitus. I can hear the flyback transformers of old crt televisions, a really annoying high pitched sound that people over 30 aren't apparently supposed to hear.

Well the rushing sound in my left ear has gone now thankfully, I got a bit worried for a second :D I'll just have to be careful with my volume level in future, some music just begs to be turned up though :D

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:00 #8

• username
Hexhammer wrote:
I also get this cracking noise in my ears if there's some way too loud noise, it's like a speaker distortion if there's too much amplification.

I can get something like this. You're right it's like clipping. It only happens at one frequency though, not sure of the note but on the high side of what a guitar can do
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, Hexhammer

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:07 #9

• username
irrepressible wrote:

I'll just have to be careful with my volume level in future, some music just begs to be turned up though :D

Have you got any way of chnaging the eq of your headphones? Like the equalizer in winamp or something?

Our ears are more sensitive for the middle frequencies so leaving bass and treble on zero and then taking the middle frequencies down by 2 decibels and then turn the volume up a little bit. This way you can here more of the range in the music at lower volumes.

At normal volume don't bother changing it, you'll probably bloat the bass and get tired of the highs

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:15 #10

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
username wrote:
Hexhammer wrote:
I also get this cracking noise in my ears if there's some way too loud noise, it's like a speaker distortion if there's too much amplification.

I can get something like this. You're right it's like clipping. It only happens at one frequency though, not sure of the note but on the high side of what a guitar can do

I think this happens easier if there's loud noise above 4kHz, lower frequencies don't hurt the ears so badly anyway, tbh, I have never heard a bass frequency sound that would have hurt my ears, but high mids and above hurt like mother fucker if it's too loud.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: username

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:23 #11

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
username wrote:
Have you got any way of chnaging the eq of your headphones? Like the equalizer in winamp or something?

Our ears are more sensitive for the middle frequencies so leaving bass and treble on zero and then taking the middle frequencies down by 2 decibels and then turn the volume up a little bit. This way you can here more of the range in the music at lower volumes.

At normal volume don't bother changing it, you'll probably bloat the bass and get tired of the highs

I used to listen to my music on a Marantz CD 63 se, going into a Creek OBH-11 headphone amp... that was loud! :chuckle: having the wrong headphones didn't help, a lot of headphones that are popular on the high street these days are low ohms, high dB things, very sensitive to volume. Well my CDP broke recently so I listen to stuff on my laptop ripped in WAV lossless on windows media player. I have the volume in media player turned up maximum, but I have my laptop volume between 14 - 22 depending, so I don't think I'm playing the music too loud. I think I might just have really sensitive hearing, I do tend to roll off the bass, I don't like it to bloom. I also like a detailed mid range and clear highs. Maybe I've lost some hearing definition over the years because the music sounds a bit too dull if I don't turn the mids and highs up a little bit on the EQ.
It depends on headphones too... I'm using Sennheiser HD-429's at the moment, and they are a decent little headphone but are a little bit dull.
I want a new CDP and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 150's, one day I shall purchase them :chuckle:

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 11:33 #12

• username
You like headphones! :D yay!!

Yeah sennheisers are generally high level on the bass and sort of rolling down through the mids to the treble and don't get that big peak at 10khz. Gives that warm feeling. so I would leave the bass alone on them.

Even the low impedance cans nowadays can benefit from amping because the output impedance on laptop soruces are often too high for the low impedance cans (headphone impedance should be at least 8 times higher than source impedance) and this can colour the headphones.

For example, I have some shure srh440 which are ok on my laptop but hooked up to a fiio e10 the bass is a lot punchier and hihats and drums but it's a sensitive headphone and doesn't need it but I can tell the difference (better matching with source and better DAC). They're pretty bass light for electronic music but a little eqing and they're fine.

Going to get some beyerdynamic dt770 pro or ultrasone 780 next month. Haven't decided, I was listening to some dubstep radio last night and my eyes weren't vibrating enough so need some bassy ones :D

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 12:39 #13

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I was looking at the DT770 pro's on Amazon, a couple of reviewers said the build quality was a bit dodgy, wires coming loose and sound failing on one side or something... but you don't know if they're reviews from rival companies :D I always think hmmm :chuckle: I had a look at German Maestro GMP 400's as well, they looked good but a bit expensive. Then I found the Beyerdynamic DT150's and settled on them, although I can't buy them just yet :D They don't look so great, but they're supposed to sound brilliant. I was watching a Depeche Mode doc, the making of Songs of Faith and Devotion, and Dave Gahan was wearing a pair in the studio :chuckle:

I'd love the cash, if I could afford it I'd buy really good stuff, it's not easy to balance budget with quality.

I had a pair of Grado SR60i's... exciting punchy sound, but I spent most of my time adjusting them on my ears, there was some music playing in the background at the same time, I didn't really notice it though because I was too busy trying to get the cans comfortable :roll: :chuckle:

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 13:33 #14

• username
Yeah I know what you mean about Amazon. Could be rivals plus some people may think if you spend over a ton on something it should be able come on an assault course with you :D . There pretty well reviewed else where, on headfi forum (although you have to be careful there, people was lyrical over the flavour of the month). nwavguy liked his pair too. It's all subjective though you don't know until there on your ears

Can decide on the beyer (fuller bass) or ultrasone (punchy bass). My shures are pretty punchy but I wouldn't mind a set of head rattlers.

budget vs quality, I know what you mean. I couldn't bring myself to spend for the top stuff. I wouldn't mind listening to it but something that costs £500 definitely won't sound 5 times better than a £100 item. I love my cheapy shures though, really detailed. Good for rock, jazz and classical. I love the way they keep tempo. Bit bass light but if I want a bit more I eq the bass on zero and bring everything else down a bit then turn up the volume like I said before. They're still not bloaty.

I wouldn't mind a pair of grados. There quite a diy modding community behind them. Money doesn't grow on trees though thus I'm more in to closed cans as Mrs Username doesn't share my love of seom genres :D. A grado would be a see what it's like luxury

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 16:29 #15

• username
irrepresible, i know you like your classical, do you know these 2 sites. you can get 320kbps streams in your media player. They do jazz too. The linn selection of their other music is alright sometimes too.

radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html
stream.psychomed.gr/

you might know them, just in case you didn't

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 17:11 #16

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
username wrote:
irrepresible, i know you like your classical, do you know these 2 sites. you can get 320kbps streams in your media player. They do jazz too. The linn selection of their other music is alright sometimes too.

radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html
stream.psychomed.gr/

you might know them, just in case you didn't

I didn't know about those sites username, thanks :) I've been mainly listening to stuff on youtube, the quality is quite variable though :chuckle:

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 21:06 #17

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I used to know a guy who liked to stick his head in the PA bins at Motorhead gigs until his ears bled. :O

He went pretty much Ludwig Van Beet :D

(think I've mentioned this before on another thread)
The pen is mightier than the sword
Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013 21:07 by diamondgeezer.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, Hexhammer, username

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 21:38 #18

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
diamondgeezer wrote:
I used to know a guy who liked to stick his head in the PA bins at Motorhead gigs until his ears bled. :O

He went pretty much Ludwig Van Beet :D

(think I've mentioned this before on another thread)

:O WTF???? :O That guy crazy of something?? Tell me he did it at '80s? Fuckin' mad son of a...
-Agent Fox Mulder

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 23:10 #19

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
This was back in the late 70's....it was kind of a 'cult' thing to do at Motorhead concerts amongst the hardcore fans apparently :hahano:

Motorhead used to have the record as loudest live band back in the day too....highest decibel level... :D
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, Hexhammer

Strange sounds in ears. 10 Jul 2013 23:24 #20

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Motörhead is (in)famous for that! Their PA system was total overkill at one time. :D I remember reading one old interview, it was made 1979, Lemmy said something about 140000watts to amp up the PA stacks.

There's absolutely no sense in that, I'm quite happy that world has moved on from those days... But a decibel limit below 95 sucks. The bass should be felt in your chest, that's the good volume level for a gig. :cool2:
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer