Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 16:00 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Three suspected cases of flesh-eating drug krododil have been reported by health workers in Canada, sparking fears the substance is spreading internationally.

Independent Canadian channel CHCH-DT said two men had been hospitalised in St. Catharines, Ontario with gangrenous body sores similar to those seen on Krokodil users. A third case was reported in Niagara Falls.

Krokodil, the street name for desomorphine, is a cheap heroin substitute that rots the flesh of addicts, usually killing them within two years. It is formed of a combination of crushed codeine pills, gasoline, cooking oil, iodine, paint thinner, lighter fluid and other toxic ingredients.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/krokodil-in-canada-ontario-reports-three-potential-cases-of-flesheating-drug-8951379.html
Last Edit: 20 Nov 2013 16:04 by pheony.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 21:17 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Very disturbing documentary on Russia's serious drug problem.....and the reasons behind it.

Check what the guy says 6.30 minutes in, about an 'agenda'.

The pen is mightier than the sword
Last Edit: 20 Nov 2013 21:18 by diamondgeezer.

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 22:42 #3

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
No War But The Class War

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 22:58 #4

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I really don't understand the basic underlying psychology of drug taking of any kind.

So, life is bad and you want to escape the badness.... so.... take drugs and make it much worse :conf:

Or, you are so rich that you can do and have anything.... so..... instead of travelling or helping or building..... take drugs and destroy yourself completely :conf:

Me no get. :conf:
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 23:28 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
There are drugs and there are drugs cantata.

Not all of them are about escapism, and not all of them cause the horrendous personal and social damage that drugs such as the above do.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, cantata

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 20 Nov 2013 23:39 #6

• cantata
  • Silver Member
i get that, DG - the relaxation, the escapism, the "fun", the utter belief that this drug won't lead to anything worse...

BUT, quite often they do lead to worse; and quite often (that I've seen first hand) even the "mildest" and most funnest of them do cause problems (permanent impaired brain processes up to irrevocable paranoia and increased dependency).

I just don't get the psychology of drugs.
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 21 Nov 2013 08:51 #7

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I agree with DG about drugs, heck, alcohol is one of the worst drugs in the world and its completely legal... From what I've experienced, most drug addicts are way less violent and less crazy than alcoholics. Most people in drugs are just tripping in their own world, or they're very calm or they just have extreme good mood going.

But that's only about the "good stuff". Then there's drugs which are straight from hell. Opiates are the scariest shit I know. They give you SO GREAT feeling, it's frightening, and I would say opiates addict the mind more than body...

And Krokodil, that's the most insidious substance ever cooked up by a man. The zombie-drug. I asked my Russian buddies once that is this shit real, are the junkies in Russia really taking crap which makes them living corpses, and its all too real, they said. It's a drug of nightmares. Maybe it's made up to get rid of the junkies? But that would be bad business, right? Who's gonna take all the heroin/opium etc. of all the junkies substitute the shit with even deadlier shit?
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 21 Nov 2013 10:19 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
I just don't get the psychology of drugs.

I do, to a point.

They have the ability to alter our brain chemistry in various ways, often pleasurably, sometimes beneficially.

MDMA (ecstasy) for example has been proven to increase empathy towards others when a person is under its effects. They get 'loved up'.

When that drug first became massively popular during the rave scene of the late 80's, nightclubs noticed 2 things in particular. 1, no-one was buying alcohol at the bar any more (so the bastards turned the taps off in the bathrooms and started charging a fortune for bottled water to compensate), and 2. A huge drop in violence. People don't get violent on MDMA, ever.

The problem is of course that its not perfect....there is a downside to taking what are basically chemicals in order to achieve these changes in our brains.....there is a 'comedown' due to the negative physical effects of the substance, and the beneficial psychological effects are often temporary.

But not always temporary however. I personally believe taking MDMA can have a long-term beneficial psychological effect on an individual.

LSD & other psychedelics.....same.

They can enlighten, and many psychiatrists now believe those drugs could be useful in treating certain kinds of mental illness in the right setting. But taking them casually....recreationally.....is a dangerous thing to do and can have the opposite effect.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, cantata

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 21 Nov 2013 14:02 #9

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Drugs often are not a black and white scenario, more like grey area. Many drugs DO have positive effects, can have very negative effects and some drugs like Krokodil are just plain evil poison.

But lets take weed for example. If I smoke flowers, I get way too high, very tired, some times I get nearly psychotic, imagining very negative stuff etc. But, if I smoke leafs, that works in a positive way, that's the most powerful painkiller for me, ever. And I get very good sleep after smoking some. It also relaxes my mind and makes me think of things which I wouldn't think about when sober, and often this is very good thing. But if I mix smoking weed with drinking, that just does not work either.

Last time after smoking flowers I had this terrible five days of depression and angst. Last time I smoked leafs, I had a very good night sleep and felt good the next day also. And it made the pain in my back to disappear also. So it's not always plain and simple and same drug, when used differently can have vastly different effects. Oh, I need to add, I have never ever been addicted to weed, but after trying some opiates, I was nearly hooked to it right after first try. That's why I steer clear of anything that's made of poppy, that stuff is dangerous.

Funnily enough, it's the really mild stuff which hooks me the worst, coffee and tobacco, that's my demise. Alcohol, weed etc. are not a problem at all..
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata, Chuck Random

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 22 Nov 2013 20:08 #10

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Russia's Flesh-Eating Krokodil Drug an Urban Legend in UK, US and Canada

The deadly flesh-eating drug krokodil is not spreading throughout the US, Canada and the UK, despite reports suggesting otherwise.

Experts have said it is unlikely the drug has even really left Russia, as it is only used by people in remote parts of the country where heroin has become too expensive or unavailable - it is turned to as a last resort among addicts.

In September, reports emerged that two cases of krokodil users had been found in Phoenix, Arizona, at a drug treatment centre. Since then, reports of the drug emerging in several other states have surfaced, with suspected cases found in Illinois, Ohio and Missouri.

However the Drugs Enforcement Agency has categorically denied the drug has entered the US, with no laboratory confirmed cases found.

Rusty Payne, spokesman for the DEA, told IBTimes UK that while they are investigating, there is nothing to suggest the presence of krokodil.

"DEA is aware of and tracking the nation-wide reports of alleged abuse of the controlled substance desomorphine that is found in the drug krokodil, a homemade substitute for heroin invented and used in rural Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan.

"DEA is investigating the matter by acquiring samples alleged to contain desomorphine, interviewing drug abusers, and monitoring intelligence reports. To date, none of our forensic laboratories has analysed an exhibit found to contain desomorphine. A sample sent to our Chicago forensic laboratory that was suspected to be krokodil was actually heroin."

A similar picture has been painted in Canada, where two suspected cases were found in Niagara. Marc Paris, executive director of the Partnership for a Drug Free Canada, said: "We checked our sources and it seems that the reported potential cases in Niagara have been determined to be infections at heroin injection sites - flesh eating disease was mentioned in one conversation with the RCMP. So far there have been no confirmed cases of Krokodil in Canada.

"Obviously we are hoping it will stay that way. It seems Canadian addicts aren't facing the lack of access to heroin that the Russians were which started this whole horrific thing ... Both Toronto city police and the RCMP are staying vigilant."

Krokodil emerged in Russia about 10 years ago. It is cheaper than heroin as it is made from household items including codeine, gasoline and lighter fluid.

Last year, a study published in the Journal of Addictive Diseases looked at the emergence of krokodil and its potential spread to Germany. The authors noted that while there had been mass reporting on the drug, there was little to no scientific evidence to show its spread.

Explaining its origin, the authors said that the base drug is desomorphine, which is an opioid analogon first synthesised and patented in 1932 in the US. They said it is more addictive than morphine and was eventually withdrawn from the market.

Comparing it to krokodil, the study said: "The final product ... is a suspension that contains desomorphine as its psychoactive core agent and all other agents involved in the production process.

"Due to the various possible primary substrates that can be used for the manufacture of krokodil, it is most likely that - depending on the available basic substrates - the chemical composition of krokodil varies between users, especially regarding the spectrum and concentration of byproducts."

Assessing its risks, they wrote: "The active principle of krokodil is less a new drug rather than self-produced desomorphine accompanied by various toxic agents that emerge during the self-production process.

"Since 2003, the prevalence of krokodil use in Russia has been increasingly rapidly, presumably as a consequence of its low cost and its high dependence potential."

Explaining why stories about the drug have surfaced and spread to such a great extent, a spokesman for UK-based charity Addaction told IBTimes UK: "Anyone who has read about the drug will know that the visible 'flesh-eating' side-effects of Krokodil use are extremely gruesome.

"Many photos of users have been shared online, and on social media, and so the drug has become extremely well known, very quickly.

"However, it is important that people understand that use of the drug has not taken a foothold in the UK, or for that matter in many places outside of Russia. The coverage Krokodil has since gained in the UK press has certainly given the opposite impression.

"As clarification - at Addaction we are unaware of any instances of it being used in the UK, and conversations I've had with colleagues from across the treatment sector have confirmed this."

There are a number of factors that contribute to the rising number of users in Russia and the lack of transmission into Europe and the US.

Authorities in Russia have been particularly effective in stopping drugs trafficking, meaning heroin has become harder to get hold of and more expensive. Drug treatment options are also poor in comparison to what is offered in the UK. Where UK users can access treatment centres, in Russia most users chose to use cheaper substitutes instead of seeking help.

To gain any form of treatment, drug users in Russia have to register with the state, after which they are vastly discriminated against - they are prevented from getting jobs are denied driving licences.

Treatment centres are so poor Human Rights Watch said they violate the right to health. In 2006, 44 women undergoing treatment for drug dependence died in a fire in a rehabilitation hospital - bars on the windows meant they could not escape the blaze.

It has been suggested that rather than register as a user, in the absence of heroin drug addicts in Russia are turning to krokodil as a cheap alternative because the only other option is even less attractive.

The Addaction spokesman continued: "I think it is safe to say that nobody would use Krokodil out of choice, and risk suffering from its terrible side effects. Many Russian users will not have access to the kind of drug treatment available in the UK, and dependent drug users may well move to Krokodil (or desamorphine, as it is known) out of desperation and poverty.

"It is a miserable state of affairs, highlighting both the terrible power of addiction and the need for treatment who need it most."

www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/524200/20131121/krokodil-flesh-eating-drug-spreading-usa-canada.htm
No War But The Class War
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, cantata

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 23 Nov 2013 10:36 #11

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Yea, well that post above says it very well, why is Russia so fucked up. The government and much of their laws are medieval... Such as the thing about junkies, go public with it and it would be the same as committing series of crimes = rights to many things withheld.

But I dunno about the Krokodil not being made in other countries, if its cheap and easy to get, you only then need somebody to teach how to cook it... I read somewhere that some junkies in Russia are cooking the shit 24/7 just to get enough to have their fix. And the stuff smells like hell from what I've heard, my buddies said that once you know that smell, you'll know it the rest of your life. They said its easy to know where the junkies are hanging out just by the smell of the place, no need to even go in the house, cooking Krokodil marks the place quite efficiently.
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 23 Nov 2013 10:59 #12

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
If people are desperate enough and know how to make it, they will. Whatever country they are in.

Krokodil in Canada? Ontario reports three potential cases of flesh-eating drug 23 Nov 2013 11:54 #13

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
pheony wrote:
If people are desperate enough and know how to make it, they will. Whatever country they are in.

True, and you know what the best solution to the problem is? De-criminalise opiates, totally.

No more krokodil.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare