Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Growing tobacco

Growing tobacco 30 Jan 2014 09:20 #1

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Here's a thread for jaxdreaming to learn a bit about growing your own baccy.

I've done it only once before, I'll grow more this year, I'm actually planning to plant them today or tomorrow. Tobacco should be planted early, so when warm weathers come and you put them outiside, they're already strong enough to survive outside. I would say the perfect time to plant them is between early January to March. If you live in warm climate (warmer than Finland) I think you could plant them outside right away. But the rule of thumb is to plant them ourside when nights are not below zero. In here, that's April on most years. And if you have planted them early enough, they can survive in cold also, but I wouldn't risk it.

Tobacco is a cool plant, for its easy to grow, gets very strong soon and its easy to take care of. It just laughs at the weeds when its big enough, most weeds don't get high enough to be any kind of problem. When you plant them outside, put them on the sunniest, hottest place you can find, preferably on the side of afternoon sun.

Tobacco LOVES sunlight and it LOVES fertilizer, I tested chicken shit, horsepoop and ash, all work like a charm and even the horseshit does not burn the tobaccos. Some more sensitive plants would be scorched, but baccy's will do just fine. You can also use artificial fertilizers, but I wouldn't recomend it. Baccy is bit like cannabis or nettle in the way that what ever is in the ground, WILL be in the tobacco, so make sure you plant them on clean ground with no toxins down there, unless you plan to naturally clean up the place. ;) Nettles and tobacco and similar plants are very good at that natural clensing of soil. So plant them on a clean place. Baccy is not too picky on where it grows, so dirt's fine, so is sandy ground and it seems to thrive in clay. The garned where I grew mine had very much clay in the ground (it used to be swamp about hundred years ago.) and the baccys grew over their said growth limits.

I used two different kinds of seeds, other were Rustica from Michigan, US, thats the natural not much refined 'indian tobacco'. It has bright yellow flowers, grows about 150cm high and its very very strong stuff and tastes darned good. The other I had was Virginia Gold, bought from some gardening shop. That one has white/pink flowers and mine grew huge, the biggest was over two meters high. Virginia gold is the same type of stuff which is used for commercial tobacco. Its milder than its more natural counterparts, very refined, one plant can give tobacco for, I'd say about forty packs of ciggies, so it yields a lot. It also makes less seeds than Rustica does.

Baccy also loves plenty of water, so if its a dry summer, you must irrigate them also. Plant them after nights aren't below zero, let them grow all summer, you can cut them down in late september. Or before nights are freezing again.

Then cut the leaves off, you should hang them somehwere to dry, preferably a bit damp place, if they dry too fast, they're gonna stay green and taste bitter. You can dry them yeallow or brown. The darker they get, the smoke gets stronger and softer. When drying, make sure that they will not rot, so don't pack them too tight. The drying is the trickiest part of the whole thing, I almost screwed up with it.

You can preserve them as full leaves or cut them small enough for rolling or pipe. OR if you're good enough, you could try to roll cigars. :D I haven't tried that yet, its an art of its own. I preserved mine in tightly closed glass jars, so that the little moisture wont get out. Oh yea, baccy is like wine, its gets better in time. After about six months mine tasted like the best cigar ever. So patience will be rewarded.

Ok, that's it for now, I got to go to work. :)

Jax, I can send you some seeds if you give me your address. pm me!
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: jaxdreaming

Growing tobacco 30 Jan 2014 10:52 #2

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Definately going to grow some... I can start them off inside now so they'll be good and strong for April... thinking of doing a couple of other plants as well to put out... :spliff:

I have never used any chemicals on my garden and I've been here 7 years so the ground is okay... the previous people just had scrappy grass down (and dog shit)...

It's good soil too as back in the day there were pig farms here... most stuff I put in grows... it's South facing at the back as well so plenty of sun...

:helios:

Growing tobacco 30 Jan 2014 13:10 #3

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Sounds like that you will have a prime spot for tobaccos. :)
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Growing tobacco 30 Jan 2014 14:40 #4

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Excited about getting my seeds... :banana:

Thanks Hex :heartflower
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Growing tobacco 30 Jan 2014 17:43 #5

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
You welcome, I'll let you know when its sent.

I was planning to plant stuff today, but I think that's a job for tomorrow. I just noticed that some of my Aji Cristal chilies have started to grow new branches. That's a good sign, there's buggers are waking up, days are getting longer. Baccy is so much easier plant to take care of. Darned chilis, tropical plants in northern climate, that's not easy.

Some times I wish I would live is, say, South America. :D Would be so much easier to grow stuff... And get at least two harvests per year...
-Agent Fox Mulder

Growing tobacco 21 Feb 2014 08:45 #6

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I have my tobacco seeds :spliff: Thank you Hex :thumbup:
There's zillions of them as they're very fine...when I shook the envelope it sounded like a maraca :lolplac:

I've planted a couple of pots with them and also just put a few on the ground... the weather is murky here but quite warm... I have some glass I can put over the pots if we get frost and they're appearing... I'm also going to dig out some seed trays and start a few indoors...

I'll do a photo diary... need to sort out my garden as it's a bit overgrown and messy but plenty of areas to be planting...

:fanx: Hex :yupgrin:

Growing tobacco 21 Feb 2014 15:35 #7

• spectero
  • Everybody Lets Rock
  • Endure
I'm sooo up for growing my tobacco...Nice thread hex. :)
" I was bored before I even began ".

Growing tobacco 08 Mar 2014 21:32 #8

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Spectero, would you like to have some tobacco seeds too? I've got plenty of them.... Millions actually. :D I could share couple dozen thousand seeds if you want to have some?

I'm late. I should have planted baccy and chili for this season a month ago. I'll try to get it done next week. 2011 I was also late but succeeded anyway because the summer was so hot.... Not so sure about it this year though. Winter's been very mild in here, so I'm expecting either cold spring or cold summer. Anyway, I should plant the stuff soon.
-Agent Fox Mulder

Growing tobacco 11 Mar 2014 08:30 #9

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
:D

My seeds are coming up :woo:

It's not that big leaf in the middle... it's the teeny tiney seeds just below it. There's bloody loads coming up. They're in various places in the garden too. The warm weather of the last couple of days must have done it. I've brought the pot in and put it on the kitchen table to bring this lot on strong. There's lots of light there... I don't want a frost to kill them off.

Growing tobacco 11 Mar 2014 18:39 #10

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Nice to see they're sprouting. Are these Rustica?

Baccy is quite sensitive to cold at first, when it grows a bit, it'll soon get much stronger. And in autumn, first freezing nights wont kill it. Damn, I'll plant mine tomorrow, I've been too lazy, I should have mine growing already.

How long it took? Usually it takes about two weeks before they start growing.

Oh, remember to give them a lot of fertilizer when they grow bigger, these things just love it. I used horsepoop and ash, worked like a charm. :D
-Agent Fox Mulder

Growing tobacco 15 Apr 2014 09:01 #11

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
:hi: Tobacco is doing great... sturdy seedling stage now. I'll get some more photo's done and put them up... :joint:

Growing tobacco 15 May 2014 12:43 #12

• voxvot
  • Fresh Member
Do you think it's too late to plant some seeds now? If not can you buy small plants? Great work.

Cheers!
Last Edit: 15 May 2014 12:45 by voxvot.

Growing tobacco 20 May 2014 09:06 #13

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I reckon you could still plant some seeds... mine... after the initial first growing boost in April... all went a bit dormant because of the wet weather but are picking up again now that the sun is making an appearance... if we get a longish summer... the last couple of years have been warm until the end of October really... I think they'd be fine

I have loads of tobacco seedlings that are too close together to do much with... I think I had about 300 plants come up altogether :O

Growing tobacco 02 Aug 2014 12:14 #14

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Here's how my tobacco's doing

This is the tallest

this is the second tallest

You can see the little yellow flowers on these next ones

So many slugs and snails in my garden but got them through the wet weather... I've got a good 8 weeks growing weather left so they should really come on now. I've a few more in pots that I haven't a lot of room in the garden for as well... so many came up... bloody hundreds... snails got loads though

If you're reading Hex... thanks :thumbup:
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2014 12:17 by jaxdreaming.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, voxvot

Growing tobacco 05 Aug 2014 00:13 #15

• voxvot
  • Fresh Member
Awesome! Great work.
User(s) who Liked this post: jaxdreaming, Avacyn

Growing tobacco 10 Sep 2014 09:06 #16

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I found a great site about growing tobacco and smoking in general...

boltonsmokersclub.wordpress.com/growing-curing-flavouring-and-finishing-tobacco-for-cigarettes/

Lots of info here on different methods of drying/curing... my tallest baccy plant is now as tall as me 5' 7" :chuckle: I'm now planning my drying method...
User(s) who Liked this post: Avacyn

Growing tobacco 04 Oct 2014 13:51 #17

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Here's a tobacco update :D

I've been picking off the lower leaves of the plants for a month or so now and I've been drying them in different ways...

These ones I just pegged out by the French doors... they've dried well but they're a bit brittle so I've put them in the kitchen on paper to try to get them to take in a bit of moisture. I also have some drying in a cupboard in the kitchen on paper but it might be a bit too dry in there for them... they need to have some damp around to keep the moisture in.

I harvested some of the larger leaves yesterday, they're nowhere as big as some I've seen and a bit holey from insects but it's my first go at this... these ones I've tied a bit of garden wire onto the ends of the leaves then I looped the wire over a broom pole and put them in the stairs cupboard so they hang straight but separated.... here's some of them...

I'll have to take a photo of them hanging up but I've lost my phone in the house (again).

A couple of the plants are still going well and the leaves look really good (less insect mangled) so I'll leave them a bit longer. I was going to harvest more today but it's bloody raining now, and I'm helping my daughter and her boyfriend move in so they'll have to wait.

I have a couple of leaves that have been drying for about 6 weeks now so I'm going to have a smoke of them tonight see how they are. :chuckle:

I'll update tomorrow on the outcome of the smoke :)
Last Edit: 04 Oct 2014 14:00 by jaxdreaming.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, wolfy, Avacyn

Growing tobacco 08 Oct 2014 07:33 #18

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
I had a smoke of my tobacco and it's okay :) A nice mix with a bit of Blue :joint:

The stuff I smoked had dried out a bit too much and you had to keep relighting, old school style, but it was a light smooth smoke. I'm going to shred up the rest of the really dried leaves and put them in a jar to cure now.

The ones under the stairs are yellowing/browning nicely and aren't drying out too much there.
User(s) who Liked this post: wolfy, Avacyn

Growing tobacco 08 Oct 2014 12:38 #19

• wolfy
  • Silver Member
Nice one jax :thumbup:
It was always going to happen!!

Growing tobacco 08 Oct 2014 20:10 #20

• Avacyn
  • Hekara sisa widna sat ałiel
Thanks for the update!
Oh no... is it 3:36 again?