Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Energy drinks linked to depression, substance abuse in teens: study

Energy drinks linked to depression, substance abuse in teens: study 07 Mar 2014 11:54 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
TORONTO -- A significant proportion of high school students appears to be consuming high-caffeine energy drinks, and for some of them at least there seems to be a link with mental health issues, substance use and sensation-seeking behaviour, a study has found.
The findings have prompted the researchers to call for a reduction in the amount of caffeine in energy drinks and reduced access to the beverages for teens.
In the study of more than 8,200 high school students in Atlantic Canada, researchers at the University of Waterloo and Dalhousie University in Halifax found that about two-thirds of respondents reported consuming an energy drink in the previous year.

About one in five students said they drank the beverages once or more each month, said the study published in the journal Preventive Medicine.
"We also found something very interesting," said principal investigator Sunday Azagba, a researcher at the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact at the University of Waterloo in southwestern Ontario.
"The more intense users tend to be more likely to be depressed, they're more likely to have substance use," he said, referring to alcohol and marijuana.

Sensation seeking -- taking part in novel activities that provide excitement -- also was higher among those who reported consuming energy drinks compared to those who don't imbibe the caffeine-charged drinks, the researchers found.
"While it remains unclear why these associations exist, the trend is a concern because of the high rate of consumption among teenagers," said Azagba. "These drinks appeal to young people because of their temporary benefits like increased alertness, improved mood and enhanced mental and physical energy".......

www.ctvnews.ca/health/energy-drinks-linked-to-depression-substance-abuse-in-teens-study-1.1717569
Last Edit: 07 Mar 2014 11:55 by pheony.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Energy drinks linked to depression, substance abuse in teens: study 07 Mar 2014 13:43 #2

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
Most of them contain aspartame, so I am not surprised one bit. Add in all the other additives and you have a "Cool" cocktail to wreck people, not power them up.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Energy drinks linked to depression, substance abuse in teens: study 07 Mar 2014 14:34 #3

• Straight Shooter
Thanks for posting this pheony...

I doubt specifically it's the drinks causing the depression but all info on this topic is welcome for sure.

I drink 5 hour energy sometimes...
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Energy drinks linked to depression, substance abuse in teens: study 08 Mar 2014 20:30 #4

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
No surprises here, no news.... I think it was nearly a year ago I drank some energycrap. I tend to stay away from that shit. I get my caffeine kick from good old fashioned coffee or tea.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare