Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Things we have made.

Things we have made. 31 Jul 2018 18:14 #61

Gan Anim wrote:
Zorro wrote:
Weird how you can't see the pics. Anyhow, it's pretty much this bike in the picture below, except for a few slight differences, plus I fitted new road tyres on mine. Their higher end range is extremely rare to find, especially in this type of condition, so much so that people even make up replicas of them. These classic Sunn bikes had lovely slim ultra strong and ultra lightweight steel tubing.

I see it now Z

Lovely machine nice clean lines and I prefer that to a Cannondale any day of the week.

There is a local guy who powder coats frames in chrome gold and grey silver like your with a clear laquer they look the real deal.

cheers. Yes, the thin steel tubing looks miles better than that ugly oversize aluminium nonsense. These quality steel frame bikes also ride much better than any aluminum bike. Much stronger too.

Yes, they also look good in bare metal or chrome plated. I had a Marin team Titanium back in the 90's (very similar geometry and design to the Sunn bike), with full XTR groupset, and with a rockshock sid fork. Very light bike. That's one bike I really regret selling now. You just can't find bikes like that anymore. And all the designs and geometry of the frames have gone to shit now, in my opinion anyhow. That bike would probably be worth more now than when it was new. Had the same bike a few years later, but in the tange ultimate frame, with full XT groupset. Not a great deal of difference in the ride, tbh.

P.s, i raced for one season in the masters series back in the late 90's. But gave it up after one year, too many twats with something to prove on the circuit, plus trashing the bike wasn't my idea of fun. I came in and finished in the top 20 for my only series.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2018 18:24 by Return of Zorro.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare, Gan Anim

Things we have made. 01 Aug 2018 00:13 #62

• Roastie
  • Silver Member
Off topic Gan. I read this and thought of you.

To Fight Bee Die-Off, Virginia Now Offering All Citizens Their Own Beehives

"The state of Virginia has announced an initiative to help reverse the decline in bee populations. “The Beehive Distribution Program” promises to give away beehives and the necessary related equipment to any eligible applicants over the age of 18.

:

"There has recently been some good news for the honeybee populations, after several years of alarming reports that their numbers have been making a steep decline towards a possible extinction.

Numbers released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2015 show that there has actually been an increase in the number of bee colonies. Beekeepers across the country have been diligently working to preserve and redevelop bee colonies, and according to these recent numbers, their efforts are actually working."

More here:

www.renegadetribune.com/to-fight-bee-die-off-virginia-now-offering-all-citizens-their-own-beehives/
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie." Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Things we have made. 04 Aug 2018 19:35 #63

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Roastie wrote:
Off topic Gan. I read this and thought of you.

To Fight Bee Die-Off, Virginia Now Offering All Citizens Their Own Beehives

"The state of Virginia has announced an initiative to help reverse the decline in bee populations. “The Beehive Distribution Program” promises to give away beehives and the necessary related equipment to any eligible applicants over the age of 18.

:

"There has recently been some good news for the honeybee populations, after several years of alarming reports that their numbers have been making a steep decline towards a possible extinction.

Numbers released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2015 show that there has actually been an increase in the number of bee colonies. Beekeepers across the country have been diligently working to preserve and redevelop bee colonies, and according to these recent numbers, their efforts are actually working."

More here:

www.renegadetribune.com/to-fight-bee-die-off-virginia-now-offering-all-citizens-their-own-beehives/

Anything bees is on topic with me Roastie.

Its a good idea but its not really the honey bee that is suffering but the wild insects and bumble bees, these are open season to our chemicals, where-as the honey been has become immune to many different kind of chemicals as the keepers regulary douse them with them to ward off disease and pests.

Watch this short film, and think Geo Engineering and you will see what the corporations are trying to do to our weather, don't bee fooled by the recent warmer weather.

Here we have lots of bumble bees and other insects who are more adapt at colder weather, we should be trying to keep our wild pollinators more than honey bees, but climte change will show our folly long before we are endangered as a species.
INACTIVE
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2018 19:38 by Gan Anim.
User(s) who Liked this post: Roastie

Things we have made. 04 Aug 2018 19:41 #64

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
My hammer trio is now complete for making some better jewellery, I put the finishing touches to this multi tipped forming/shaping hammer today, it is something I badly needed to get other jobs done correctly, now I am prepared for the making of silverwear this winter as I move into the warmer work station indoors.

image host

See it being made here,

www.bitchute.com/video/sxChYcspPbyX/
INACTIVE
User(s) who Liked this post: Roastie

Things we have made. 06 Aug 2018 17:09 #65

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Gan Anim wrote:
My hammer trio is now complete for making some better jewellery, I put the finishing touches to this multi tipped forming/shaping hammer today, it is something I badly needed to get other jobs done correctly, now I am prepared for the making of silverwear this winter as I move into the warmer work station indoors.

image host

See it being made here,

www.bitchute.com/video/sxChYcspPbyX/

Finally finished making the jewellers hammer and a few inserts, the steel ones were really tough to complete but I now have a great tool for all seasons as they say, saved myself about 500 quid which I would cost if I bought all seperate hammers, total cost was thirty quid for materials.

INACTIVE
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2018 17:19 by Gan Anim.
User(s) who Liked this post: porridge

Things we have made. 15 Sep 2018 20:58 #66

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Been quite busy the last few weeks, and have just made something, this time its a new freind instead of tools, Mr Robin has finally pricked up enough courage and took from the hand for the first time this year.
as winter moves ever closer it will be easy to get all sorts of birds feeding from the hand, try them with small morsles and then they get a little tamer.

www.bitchute.com/video/l7ZzVUcA4eI9/
INACTIVE

Things we have made. 25 Oct 2018 11:49 #67

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
A chip off the old block, I made this over the last couple of days between posting on the forum,

I am about half way through making this 4inch deep 38 X 24 inch pine cutting block, she is made from 110 seperate blocks of Best quality Douglas Fir which was sustainably grown in the Highlands of Scotland, cut out and converted from rought cut ranch style fence posts into useable lumber for this project.

I took about half an hour to glue all the blocks together with the use of a small paint roller and tray which is much faster than using a brush and wastes far less glue doing it this way, I placed a plastic sheet down before beginning to prevent the board from sticking to the kitchen worktop which is nice and flat for doing this job, the kitchen smells lovely right now with the block sitting there.

The whole assembly is then supported by two end timbers and pulled together with a strong ratchet strap, as you apply the pressure you can carefully tap the blocks into place with a hammer as you go, and tighten things finally with more pressure.

Here you can see the blocks/grain alternating to gain better stability and overall looks, now comes the lengthy sanding and levelling process, starting with 40 grit due to the fibres being end grain and then a little scraping in between to remove the high spots and working things down to about 80 grit before a few coats of boiled Linseed Oil to seal and waterproof the cutting surface, this also hydrates the end grain fibres and eases the cutting strokes, after the blade has passed the fibres re-seal and close again.

To have one of these made would have cost me around 500 pounds plus, but with a couple of days cutting on the bandsaw after sharpening the blade myself, www.bitchute.com/video/Qq6kLqBy1GEv/ I managed to produce this high quality cutting board for less than 100 quid.

If anyone is going to have a go at making one always make sure the lengths of timber are planed square and thicknessed properly to prevent gapping between the joints, if you get one or two that move during glue drying time you can use a hammer to spread the fibres at the gap to close things up tight.

Thanks for watching.
INACTIVE
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2018 13:11 by Gan Anim.
User(s) who Liked this post: porridge, Oreironstar

Things we have made. 25 Oct 2018 18:29 #68

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Here she is finally sanded and the edges planed and rounded then Danish oiled, the combination of pine and oils is very aromatic, the grain really stands out now and she will need a second flatting down and a few more coats of oil then its ready for use.

She weighs about a hundred weight, a propper solid lump which should last a lifetime.
INACTIVE

Things we have made. 25 Oct 2018 20:20 #69

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
My Third Hands

I made this third hand fairly recently to make a few more savings, to obtain one of these units would cost around 130-150 pounds, seen here fited to my jeweller bench beow my scope so I can see the very tiny silver parts to be soldered.

www.bitchute.com/video/U65ay9xuS07b/

In the following video I explain how and what I made this from, thanks for looking, I have not monetized this accout and I do not intend to.
INACTIVE

Things we have made. 27 Oct 2018 16:42 #70

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Tappers Three

Here is a series of tapometers I have made this year for my own jewellery making this year, the top three were made from stock 20.00mm silver steel bar and hand turned the old way using converted HSS steel chisels that are normally used for turning wood.

The handles are made from high quality Partridgewood and shaped to an old hammer which I saw from Victoriana which are very comfotable in the hand.

INACTIVE

Things we have made. 28 Oct 2018 15:33 #71

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Speaking of bikes and tools, I bought this "hybrid" bike off the shelf in the local bike shop a couple of years ago for £370 (474 US dollars) but wish I hadn't.
I could have got one for less than half the price but when I saw it in the shop I bought it on the spur of the moment because it seemed to tick all the right boxes, being a hybrid good for road and offroad riding, and a nice dull grey camouflage when camping rough.
But when I got it home and started reading the manual I realised I'd have to buy a whole new range of bike tools (more expense) because it was far too complex for me to fiddle with with standard bike tools.
For example although there are only two wheels, they require 3 different types of spoke lengths depending whether the new spoke goes on the left or right!
As a survivalist I mainly bought it to get around in a post-apocalypse world, but if I need spare parts it could be a nightmare trying to find the right size nuts and bolts etc for it
.. :dunno:

Last Edit: 28 Oct 2018 15:34 by Ugh.

Things we have made. 29 Oct 2018 09:30 #72

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
One of my own musical instruments that I made many years ago, in the guise of an Irish Bagpipe chanter or Uilleann Pipes in the pitch of Concrt D 440, she is made from high quality Lignum Vitae with solid ivory fittings and clad in hand rolled and soldered Stering silver metalwork.

The ivory came from a collection of Victorian billiard balls that were laid in an old cupboard from a freind Grandfathers estate after he past on, this is made exactly as they would have been during the 18th century using the age old toolmaking and engineering techniques of those days.

The bottom mount is made from a single billiard ball and one complete piece with the traditional beehive beading end section which acts as one of the lower notes when it is placed upon andsealed against the leg upon a leather patch.

I made all of the tooling required to make these old world intruments and probably one of the most complicated of woodwind instruments to make,

You can here one of these here, and what sounds they are capable of creating,

And one of our best female players who will steal your soul away, during her slow air you will see her play the regulators with the back of her right hand which are laid across her lap, here are 13 extra key notes at her call, the full set she is playing is almost as big as herself.

Thanks for looking and listening.
INACTIVE
Last Edit: 29 Oct 2018 10:04 by Gan Anim.

Things we have made. 12 Nov 2018 12:45 #73

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
My latest project has been to make these two items for my future projects of jewellery making, which my wife wants to do when she retires in a few years time.

They consist of a centrifugal casting spinner and a horizontal slow revolution diamond sharpener.

Both bodies are made from a second hand water fire extinguisher that is made from stainless steel, both have motors by Parvalux which have reducer gearboxes attached, the spin caster is 900 RPM and the sharpener is 215 RPM, both new other and aquired at a very reasonable price against new retail.

Every now and then I make something specialized that brings in huge savings, this is the name of the game, "to make savings not profits" and these items have been our biggest ever savings in the last 5 years, our greenhouse was the last big saving at £ 2200.00 by making it ourselves, this time we have saved over £3400.00 against retail prices, and both units are just as well made if not better that their counterparts and will do their jobs nicely.

Wheather we relise it or not, we are actually living at a time of sheer abundance, many of the things we make here are from the throw away mindset, there is a plethora of free material to re-create things we need, yet seemingly we have lots our resolve our critical ways of problem solving in order of creating the things we need, there need not be slaves to this rthymn.

Does anyone else have something to show, no matter how small or simple, it would be nice to see something from another member on the forum?.
INACTIVE
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2018 14:29 by Gan Anim.

Things we have made. 12 Nov 2018 19:46 #74

Gan Anim wrote:
My latest project has been to make these two items for my future projects of jewellery making, which my wife wants to do when she retires in a few years time.

They consist of a centrifugal casting spinner and a horizontal slow revolution diamond sharpener.

Both bodies are made from a second hand water fire extinguisher that is made from stainless steel, both have motors by Parvalux which have reducer gearboxes attached, the spin caster is 900 RPM and the sharpener is 215 RPM, both new other and aquired at a very reasonable price against new retail.

Every now and then I make something specialized that brings in huge savings, this is the name of the game, "to make savings not profits" and these items have been our biggest ever savings in the last 5 years, our greenhouse was the last big saving at £ 2200.00 by making it ourselves, this time we have saved over £3400.00 against retail prices, and both units are just as well made if not better that their counterparts and will do their jobs nicely.

Wheather we relise it or not, we are actually living at a time of sheer abundance, many of the things we make here are from the throw away mindset, there is a plethora of free material to re-create things we need, yet seemingly we have lots our resolve our critical ways of problem solving in order of creating the things we need, there need not be slaves to this rthymn.

Does anyone else have something to show, no matter how small or simple, it would be nice to see something from another member on the forum?.

Obviously you will want me to bring some diamonds back from my next trip then :lmao: :lmao:

Just joking Gan and tbh I'm jealous your so good with your hands, but everybody has different skill sets and strengths, so we adapt.
Good luck with your continuing endeavours. :up:

Things we have made. 12 Nov 2018 19:55 #75

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
entrangermercenary1 wrote:
Gan Anim wrote:

Obviously you will want me to bring some diamonds back from my next trip then :lmao: :lmao:

Just joking Gan and tbh I'm jealous your so good with your hands, but everybody has different skill sets and strengths, so we adapt.
Good luck with your continuing endeavours. :up:

I knew an old boy who brought jems back from his trips as they say, he is dead now but when he was alive he had a wicker basket full of the bloody things in his kitchen window in full view and never once had them stolen, mind you I would not want to be the one who tried either.

We had a corrupt NCO who smuggled empty navy shells back from the Falklands in the larger MFO's which fit exactly in the space, and sold them afterwards, he got his just deserves later on in Northern Ireland.

Oh the stories i could share of dead mens escapathes.
INACTIVE
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2018 19:57 by Gan Anim.

Things we have made. 04 Dec 2018 19:35 #76

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
Fresh from my own silversmiths bench.

Today I finished this solid Sterling Silver hair broach for myself, I was fed up with wearing those cheap elasticated bands which don't last two minuites that leaves the pony tail sticking out directly backwards.

With this kind of setup the tail faces diectly downwards and is much more comfortable and keeps the hair in line with the neck and also keeps it warmer in winter time, measures 55 mm in diameter.

It was made from the bowl section of an old 1850's cream jug that was damaged but ideal for making items of jewellery with, First I made a pattern using recycled xmas cards and then sellotaped onto the metal for cutting out with a jewellers piercing saw, then it is polished before planishing or adding the texture to it.

Made in the shape of a Saltire cross, which is a variant of the original Greek Cross, which was the original depiction of the four crossing points or Cardinal and Solstice markers on early sun dials, of the 360 day reality or Earth or Gaian Sciences, and nothing to do with a living breathing god at all.

Thanks for looking.
INACTIVE

Things we have made. 11 Dec 2018 13:04 #77

• Gan Anim
  • Silver Member
  • In All Ears
INACTIVE

Things we have made. 12 Mar 2019 13:58 #78

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 71, right winger, Christian, English
Well, Gan Anim hasn't posted in this thread for 3 months, so I suppose this newspaper article is right in saying the old crafts are dying out, he's probably followed suit and hung up his hammer and screwdriver..-

Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare