Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

 
PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Help, can't understand my new cooker!

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 24 Feb 2020 08:56 #21

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18544
  • Likes received: 8717
Roastie wrote:
Ugh wrote:
So it's logical for everybody to use the "fans on" setting every time we do any cooking, right?
So what's the "no fans" setting for, and why should anybody want to use it?

Settings in Ovens

"You may want to consider buying a conventional oven that has a convection setting – then you have the best of both worlds! You’ll be able to get the benefits of cooking with gas or electricity and flick a switch to change to convection cooking. The conventional setting is perfect for delicate batter-type foods that need delicate cooking to set and would be used for:

Cakes
Souffles
Flans
Custards
Quick breads and bread

A convection oven has a fan and an exhaust system. This ensures that hot air is distributed evenly around the oven and the food so that it cooks quickly. You would use this setting for:

Roasting – meat and vegetables cook faster and get crispy skins.
Toasting – convection is much more efficient
Pastries and pies – fat is melted and steam created much more quickly so pastry rises beautifully.
Casseroles – convection cooking is faster with little loss of moisture
Biscuits and cookies – you’ll be able to bake multiple trays without having to rotate"

mixrepairs.co.uk/fan-assisted-or-conventional-oven/

There you go Ugh, you have an answer mate... I saw the post earlier but was waiting for a woman to reply.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 28 Feb 2020 10:23 #22

  • Frothy
  • Frothy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Twilight Zoned
  • Posts: 17507
  • Likes received: 1808
Ugh wrote:
Hi, look, there are two hotplates (hobs) on top of it, the 2nd dial down on the control panel controls the lefthand hob, and the 3rd dial controls the righthand hob.
I've twiddled dials 2 and 3 and the hobs get hot just fine.
So what on earth is the 1st dial (at the top) for? It's marked 'Hotplate' but what does it actually DO?
(The manual is not much help)
Thanks


Holy shit Ugh, where it says ''hot plate'' and ''oven'' on your equipment, that's to let you know the purpose of the indicator lights next to said words.
Jews LARPing as Nazis
Last Edit: 29 Feb 2020 09:03 by Frothy.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 13:43 #23

  • Ugh
  • Ugh's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 72, right winger, Christian, English
  • Posts: 3936
  • Likes received: 448
Frothy wrote:
Holy shit Ugh, where it says ''hot plate'' and ''oven'' on your equipment, that's to let you know the purpose of the indicator lights next to said words.

Yeah the dicks who designed the oven badly placed the words 'hotplate' and 'oven' but i've figgered it out and will nip down Tesco's later to buy a nice juicy steak to do in it.. :chuckle:

"You may slaughter your animals in any of your towns and eat as much of the meat as you want" (Bible:Deut 12:15)

PS- can anybody give me any tips about how to cook steak in an oven?

Below- Grylls tucking into something's heart
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2020 14:13 by Ugh.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 13:55 #24

  • Truthspoon
  • Truthspoon's Avatar
  • Online
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
  • Posts: 2361
  • Likes received: 1215
I recently bought an air fryer and it has changed my world.

Oven chips, fried Tofu, roast potatoes, all come up a treat in an air-fryer.

Get one.... they make chips and brown sauce the only thing you ever want to eat for the rest of your life.

Sure makes life easier at any rate...... only problem the supermarkets here no longer sell Aunt Bessies' homestyle chips.... they're the best on the market...

I had a barbecue the other day and had a big baked potato I didn't manage to eat. Stuck it in the fridge and two days later, what the fuck do I do with a cold baked potato?

Saw the air-fryer out of the corner of my eye winking at me and bingo, chopped it up (the potato, not the air-fryer) put it in a bowl and added a bit of oil, stirred it up, drained off the excess oil and stuck it in the fryer for ten minutes.

Came out like the sheer bloody stuff of soft crispy hot 'tata dreams.....
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2020 14:01 by Truthspoon.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 14:54 #25

  • Flare
  • Flare's Avatar
  • Online
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 16106
  • Likes received: 6054
Truthspoon wrote:
I recently bought an air fryer and it has changed my world.

Oven chips, fried Tofu, roast potatoes, all come up a treat in an air-fryer.

Get one.... they make chips and brown sauce the only thing you ever want to eat for the rest of your life.

Sure makes life easier at any rate...... only problem the supermarkets here no longer sell Aunt Bessies' homestyle chips.... they're the best on the market...

I had a barbecue the other day and had a big baked potato I didn't manage to eat. Stuck it in the fridge and two days later, what the fuck do I do with a cold baked potato?

Saw the air-fryer out of the corner of my eye winking at me and bingo, chopped it up (the potato, not the air-fryer) put it in a bowl and added a bit of oil, stirred it up, drained off the excess oil and stuck it in the fryer for ten minutes.

Came out like the sheer bloody stuff of soft crispy hot 'tata dreams.....

Ah, good tip.

Thanks!
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 15:17 #26

  • Truthspoon
  • Truthspoon's Avatar
  • Online
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
  • Posts: 2361
  • Likes received: 1215
Flare wrote:
Truthspoon wrote:
I recently bought an air fryer and it has changed my world.

Oven chips, fried Tofu, roast potatoes, all come up a treat in an air-fryer.

Get one.... they make chips and brown sauce the only thing you ever want to eat for the rest of your life.

Sure makes life easier at any rate...... only problem the supermarkets here no longer sell Aunt Bessies' homestyle chips.... they're the best on the market...

I had a barbecue the other day and had a big baked potato I didn't manage to eat. Stuck it in the fridge and two days later, what the fuck do I do with a cold baked potato?

Saw the air-fryer out of the corner of my eye winking at me and bingo, chopped it up (the potato, not the air-fryer) put it in a bowl and added a bit of oil, stirred it up, drained off the excess oil and stuck it in the fryer for ten minutes.

Came out like the sheer bloody stuff of soft crispy hot 'tata dreams.....

Ah, good tip.

Thanks!

You can also use an air-fryer to make your own potato chips.....

Just slice your tata's thin, bit of oil in a bowl, drain it all off. Stick em in for 20 minutes...

Add salt.....home made crispy potato chips......less mess and fat and crazy boiling oil than using a deep fat fryer.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 16:06 #27

  • Frothy
  • Frothy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Twilight Zoned
  • Posts: 17507
  • Likes received: 1808
Ugh wrote:
Frothy wrote:
Holy shit Ugh, where it says ''hot plate'' and ''oven'' on your equipment, that's to let you know the purpose of the indicator lights next to said words.

Yeah the dicks who designed the oven badly placed the words 'hotplate' and 'oven' but i've figgered it out and will nip down Tesco's later to buy a nice juicy steak to do in it.. :chuckle:

"You may slaughter your animals in any of your towns and eat as much of the meat as you want" (Bible:Deut 12:15)

PS- can anybody give me any tips about how to cook steak in an oven?

Below- Grylls tucking into something's heart


Take your steak out of the packaging and dab it dry with a paper towel, leave it at room temperature for about half an hour. Rub it with salt and pepper as you wish.
If you don’t know what the difference between baking and broiling is, it’s simply that baking uses convection heat while broiling uses infrared heat. This means that when you bake, you are heating food by surrounding it with hot air. When you broil, you are heating food from above by using the top elements of the oven Food that is broiled typically gets more charred, especially on top.

Sear outsides then broil about 8-10 minutes in oven, add or reduce time depending how you want it cooked, (searing is to quickly flash frying both sides prior to putting it the the oven, just about 20 seconds each side in hot oil} oven to be about 200 Celsius.
Jews LARPing as Nazis
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2020 18:37 by Frothy.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Ugh

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 16:17 #28

  • Lux Interior
  • Lux Interior's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
  • Posts: 4159
  • Likes received: 1277
Stick to fish 'n' loaf flavour pot noodles. If you don't know how to cook steak by now you don't deserve to eat it.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 01 Mar 2020 22:03 #29

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18544
  • Likes received: 8717
I grill my steaks in one of these.. its like having a BBQ in the home but without the hassles....

www.amazon.it/Hotpoint-GHX0-Griglia-Verticale-Acciaio/dp/B076CCFK4G

tho i have a vintage model, but you brits can get that new one from Italia most likely.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2020 22:10 by novum.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Ugh

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 14:54 #30

  • Truthspoon
  • Truthspoon's Avatar
  • Online
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
  • Posts: 2361
  • Likes received: 1215
novum wrote:
I grill my steaks in one of these.. its like having a BBQ in the home but without the hassles....

www.amazon.it/Hotpoint-GHX0-Griglia-Verticale-Acciaio/dp/B076CCFK4G

tho i have a vintage model, but you brits can get that new one from Italia most likely.


I don't know dude.....how does that beat a good iron stove top gridle.

I've done a lot of barbecuing lately and am actually getting sick of the taste of smoked charcoal....

I might start cooking on hot wood logs....

That said I had a sweet prime rib on Charcoal...but the scraps I fed to the cat she looked at me and said 'what the fuck is that smokey taste, you're killing the taste of MEAT'...

I don't know......wood barbecue might be the way forward.

Any barbecue experts here?
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2020 14:55 by Truthspoon.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 15:00 #31

  • Ugh
  • Ugh's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 72, right winger, Christian, English
  • Posts: 3936
  • Likes received: 448
Thanks everybody but like I said this whole cooking lark is too complicated for me, so I'd better learn by trial and error. For example I bought a gammon steak yesterday and the instructions say "Cook on medium heat" without specifying a temperature setting, but what the hell is "medium" heat FFS?
Same with instructions on other stuff which say "Cook in microwave or oven", but how the hell should I know which to use, the microwave or the oven?
Likewise some things say "Fry or oven cook", so which shall i choose?
Regarding my new mini-oven, the little bastard has got a "normal or fan-assisted" option, so how the fook am i supposed to know whether to use the fan or not, see what I mean?
My best bet is to find a woman to come round to my place to cook us a good meal twice a week followed by a good bonking session, I signed up for a dating agency a while back but the only things on offer seem to be a brainless collection of divorced nuts and sluts, scrags and bags, or perhaps they don't like my agency avatar pic (below)
.. :chuckle:

Last Edit: 02 Mar 2020 15:03 by Ugh.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Gloria

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 15:09 #32

  • Gloria
  • Gloria's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Member
  • Posts: 350
  • Likes received: 139
I like your picture :)

not all men are lost in cooking ;) :P ...there are a lot of cooking videos online where you can learn to cook easily :) :cool:

"always laugh when you can, it is cheap medicine"
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Truthspoon

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 15:48 #33

  • Lux Interior
  • Lux Interior's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
  • Posts: 4159
  • Likes received: 1277
Medium heat is 50% of maximum.
Microwave or oven means speed or taste, go for oven.
Fry or bake means if you want crispy and more taste then fry, if you want less fat then oven.
Get yourself some seasoning skills, paprika, cumin, black pepper, sea salt, dried herbs, celery salt, garlic granules. Mix that lot up and grind into a powder.
Use real butter not 'spread'. Fresh lemon juice for white meats and fish, soy and Worcestershire sauce for dark meats.
It's all in the gravy.

I'll add, leave your oven on for 15mins at least to get to temperature, cook meat at room temperature not straight outta da fridge.
Fan assist cooks evenly but uses more power. Its better.

You're welcome.
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2020 08:31 by Lux Interior.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 17:32 #34

  • Truthspoon
  • Truthspoon's Avatar
  • Online
  • Silver Member
  • One foot in hyperspace and the other in some dogshit.
  • Posts: 2361
  • Likes received: 1215
Ugh wrote:
Thanks everybody but like I said this whole cooking lark is too complicated for me, so I'd better learn by trial and error. For example I bought a gammon steak yesterday and the instructions say "Cook on medium heat" without specifying a temperature setting, but what the hell is "medium" heat FFS?
Same with instructions on other stuff which say "Cook in microwave or oven", but how the hell should I know which to use, the microwave or the oven?
Likewise some things say "Fry or oven cook", so which shall i choose?
Regarding my new mini-oven, the little bastard has got a "normal or fan-assisted" option, so how the fook am i supposed to know whether to use the fan or not, see what I mean?
My best bet is to find a woman to come round to my place to cook us a good meal twice a week followed by a good bonking session, I signed up for a dating agency a while back but the only things on offer seem to be a brainless collection of divorced nuts and sluts, scrags and bags, or perhaps they don't like my agency avatar pic (below)
.. :chuckle:



Lol... the kitchen in the background is a non too subtle hint.

But yeah, you look trim and healthy for your age.

Good man.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 18:35 #35

  • Voltaire
  • Voltaire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Posts: 3625
  • Likes received: 2184
Truthspoon wrote:
novum wrote:
I grill my steaks in one of these.. its like having a BBQ in the home but without the hassles....

www.amazon.it/Hotpoint-GHX0-Griglia-Verticale-Acciaio/dp/B076CCFK4G

tho i have a vintage model, but you brits can get that new one from Italia most likely.


I don't know dude.....how does that beat a good iron stove top gridle.

I've done a lot of barbecuing lately and am actually getting sick of the taste of smoked charcoal....

I might start cooking on hot wood logs....

That said I had a sweet prime rib on Charcoal...but the scraps I fed to the cat she looked at me and said 'what the fuck is that smokey taste, you're killing the taste of MEAT'...

I don't know......wood barbecue might be the way forward.

Any barbecue experts here?

I once supervised the roasting of a whole lamb for a buffet i was preparing - the fire was set in an old bath tub and the clever ones managed to erect a spit - the heat was wood - allowed to burn to coals and replenished from time to time though gently, so as not to char the meat which was basted with a mixture of melted butter and tomato puree. I cant exactly remember how long it took - might have been about 5- 6 hours. I sent out copious beers to the 2 guys who were turning the spit. the lamb was great - nice rosy pink throughout and moist.


Truth is anti-semitic
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 18:53 #36

  • novum
  • novum's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 18544
  • Likes received: 8717
Truthspoon wrote:
I don't know dude.....how does that beat a good iron stove top gridle.

I've done a lot of barbecuing lately and am actually getting sick of the taste of smoked charcoal....

I might start cooking on hot wood logs....

That said I had a sweet prime rib on Charcoal...but the scraps I fed to the cat she looked at me and said 'what the fuck is that smokey taste, you're killing the taste of MEAT'...

I don't know......wood barbecue might be the way forward.

Any barbecue experts here?

See thats where the vertical electric thing shines through to an extent... all the fat and juices drip downwards but the heat is coming from the sides... so you dont have those byproducts of the burning juices and fat hitting the meat much at all... including smoke. Think of how they do rotisserie meat, those grills work much like that, just smaller than an industrial set up and you can clamp thin cuts of meat (and veg and potatoes even) in them.

Its quick and easy for me and makes little to no smoke inside. Of course every different cooking method gives you a different flavour.. each to their own... but ive gotten used to cooking meat and not having it simmering in its own fat or having smoke come up onto it from underneath.

The grills work with anything, chicken, fish, whatever... awesome for lamb chops also which tend to be a bit fatty... they arent fatty after a session in a vertical grill. :chuckle:

But the best crazy good meat i eat, is when i put good cuts of meat (eg leg of lamb) in a sealed roasting pan/oven pan, seasoned of course, and bury it under smouldering fine charcoal chips for a few hours.. but its a loooong process. Melts in your mouth though, some serious gourmet shit.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 02 Mar 2020 21:28 #37

  • Ugh
  • Ugh's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 72, right winger, Christian, English
  • Posts: 3936
  • Likes received: 448
Gloria wrote:
I like your picture :)
not all men are lost in cooking ;) :P ...there are a lot of cooking videos online where you can learn to cook easily :) :cool:

Hop in a taxi and come on over darling, I'll pay, then you can do us a nosh-up on my new cooker, then we can loll on the settee watching TV, The Waltons is on later- "The family are shocked when John-Boy takes a fancy to the new schoolmistress even though she's much older than him".
Hmm good for him, we all like milfs and it's about time he unzipped his flies to relieve the pressure down there, his pants must be bulging like Mt St Helens by now.. :chuckle:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 09 May 2020 03:23 #38

  • Flare
  • Flare's Avatar
  • Online
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 16106
  • Likes received: 6054
Truthspoon wrote:
I recently bought an air fryer and it has changed my world.

Oven chips, fried Tofu, roast potatoes, all come up a treat in an air-fryer.

Get one.... they make chips and brown sauce the only thing you ever want to eat for the rest of your life.

Sure makes life easier at any rate...... only problem the supermarkets here no longer sell Aunt Bessies' homestyle chips.... they're the best on the market...

I had a barbecue the other day and had a big baked potato I didn't manage to eat. Stuck it in the fridge and two days later, what the fuck do I do with a cold baked potato?

Saw the air-fryer out of the corner of my eye winking at me and bingo, chopped it up (the potato, not the air-fryer) put it in a bowl and added a bit of oil, stirred it up, drained off the excess oil and stuck it in the fryer for ten minutes.

Came out like the sheer bloody stuff of soft crispy hot 'tata dreams.....

We recently bought an airfryer and my wife is very happy with it... she said: "this is the best idea I've heard of you since 20 years."


I said "you'll have to thank Truthspoon for that." :chuckle:
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help, can't understand my new cooker! 09 May 2020 05:13 #39

  • Lux Interior
  • Lux Interior's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
  • Posts: 4159
  • Likes received: 1277
Mumsnet
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare
Powered by Kunena Forum

Annual Server Target

Whether its 50 cents or five dollars, your donations are appreciated and help keep this community site running so we can all continue to enjoy using it. Secure transactions via paypal.
This target is to meet our server cost for one year, June 2020 - May 2021, in USD.
$ 340 - Target
( £ 255 GBP )
donation thermometer
donation thermometer
$ 70 - Raised
( £ 53 GBP )
donation thermometer
21%
Most Recent Donation $50 USD
28th August 2020

No one is obliged to donate, please only donate what you can afford. Even the smallest amount helps. Being an active member is a positive contribution. Thank You.