Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help! AVG Takeover!

Help! AVG Takeover! 12 Oct 2012 21:59 #1

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Hi all.

I've used AVG free download security for about a year or so and no problems. I'm not sure if it ever did any good, but it didn't seem to do any harm...

....until the last couple of weeks, when it took over my browser and search engines. :O When I try to search something, both google and bing send me over to AVG search. I've tried to remove the AVG programme from my netbook; and, technically it would seem I have. But still AVG has made itself my one and only search facility.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the bugga?

Thanks. :)
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Help! AVG Takeover! 12 Oct 2012 22:21 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The same thing happened to me. I found it really difficult to get rid of ( I probably still have it hidden away somewhere)

I looked on the internet for suggestions...lots of people having the same problem.

You think you've got rid of it, but in actual fact you haven't. I'm not computer savvy, but even those that are, say it's like a virus/bug that is a bugger.... even if you know what you are doing.

Hopefully Frog or Novum can help. :)
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Help! AVG Takeover! 12 Oct 2012 22:25 #3

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
My mum is with AVG on her netbook, but she is constantly harrassed by McAfee pop ups :chuckle: We still haven't been able to get rid of them.

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 01:20 #4

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
Hi Cantata,

The first thing to try would be their official removal tool which you can download here > AVG Removal Tool. You will need the tool for your OS and AVG version so find that info before downloading the file.

@Irre, Info about removing McAfee can be found here > How to uninstall McAfee.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, Gilly, cantata

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 10:53 #5

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Oh, thanks Frog! You are a useful chap to have around. :notworthy:

(Hiya phe! :hi: Hiya irrie! :hi: ).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 12:02 #6

• Oracle
  • Futurist & Anthropogenist
Frog wrote:
Hi Cantata,

The first thing to try would be their official removal tool which you can download here > AVG Removal Tool. You will need the tool for your OS and AVG version so find that info before downloading the file.

@Irre, Info about removing McAfee can be found here > How to uninstall McAfee.

Additionally, one could open "regedit" and search and destroy any reference to the nasty stuff left.
Windows get such behaviour from the spy registry, despite of a program was uninstalled and deleted.
The resident shill announced
blue_tackler wrote:
please make my profile inactive, I no longer want to have any connection to this forum.

yet he is trolling further. :facepalm:

blue_tackler wrote:
the lice are only going to jump onto other typhus victim

Prime example of holocaustianity mental issues, clinically insane, and utterly ill informed, a danger to public health if this dude was working for CDC.

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 16:52 #7

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Frog - what does "OS" mean and how do I know the version I've got? :emb:

Ta-ever-so. :)

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 19:23 #8

• Oracle
  • Futurist & Anthropogenist
cantata wrote:

I think frog doesn't mind me answering the OS question.

Operating System
eg WinXP, Vista, 7, or Linux or MacOSX.
The resident shill announced
blue_tackler wrote:
please make my profile inactive, I no longer want to have any connection to this forum.

yet he is trolling further. :facepalm:

blue_tackler wrote:
the lice are only going to jump onto other typhus victim

Prime example of holocaustianity mental issues, clinically insane, and utterly ill informed, a danger to public health if this dude was working for CDC.

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 21:49 #9

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Oracle wrote:
cantata wrote:

I think frog doesn't mind me answering the OS question.

Operating System
eg WinXP, Vista, 7, or Linux or MacOSX.

Ah, that's brilliant. Thanks, Oracle. :thumbup:

:)

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 22:02 #10

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I also had this problem....AVG kept setting itself up as my 'default browser' every time I re-started the computer.

I use Chrome as my browser of choice - my son went into that and managed to change the settings...all is now good. ;)

Don't ask me exactly how he did it tho...the little git is far more comp savvy than myself. Kids eh... :D
The pen is mightier than the sword

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 23:21 #11

• cantata
  • Silver Member
When did AVG stop being what it claimed to be and start being what it claimed to get rid of? :O

Busterd. (AVG, not you DG :O ).

Last Edit: 13 Oct 2012 23:22 by cantata.

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 23:33 #12

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
cantata wrote:
When did AVG stop being what it claimed to be and start being what it claimed to get rid of? :O

I'm not sure when AVG became an issue for people I had a spate of people a couple of years ago who wanted it removed.

One free AV system that is OK is Avast the free version has a limited feature set. I have installed it a a number of peoples machines and all seems well. They also offer a free AV for Android devices. Avast Download

If you're going to pay for a good AV system the ESET NOD32 is hard to beat and has very little effect on system performance. ESET Smart Security provides a really nice fire wall system for a little more expense. The renew price is very competitive with multi-machine options.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 23:35 #13

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:

Yep. The internet is changing, and not in a good way imo.

I have heard claims (true or not, I don't know) that Microsoft are actually creating virus's for their own software.... :O
The pen is mightier than the sword
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2012 23:36 by diamondgeezer.
User(s) who Liked this post: Black Cloud, cantata

Help! AVG Takeover! 13 Oct 2012 23:39 #14

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Thanks again, Frog.

(And, don't forget.... you have to help me set up my Joomla Website very, very soon. :roll: ).

:D

DG - Microsoft already has a virulent virus - and it works offline as well as on. It's called "Bill Gates". :O

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Gilly

Help! AVG Takeover! 14 Oct 2012 00:18 #15

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
I think Bill Gates interest in vaccines for poor people are a more worrying prospect than his virtual ones! :O

Let me know when you're ready to sort your website out and I can take a look. I have quite a few commitments at the moment and my time is limited so I hope you're not in a rush.

Help! AVG Takeover! 14 Oct 2012 11:56 #16

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Thanks, Frog. :D No, I'm in no rush. I still have bucket-loads of painting to do, and the garden, and fixing up the kitchen, and.... I thought Time Expands To Meet Demands... :conf:

Hasta La Vista!

Help! AVG Takeover! 23 Oct 2012 19:24 #17

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Froooooog, it hasn't worked! :( When I click to "run" what I think is the right avg remover, it just disappears (I was waiting ages for it to notify me of when it would need to reboot the netbook... er, never happened :D ). And when I try to download the thing... it doesn't. So AVG still has my browser in its grip. :mad:

Is there anything else I can try?

Ta. :)

Help! AVG Takeover! 15 Jan 2014 18:33 #18

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Interesting, my AVG went all haywire today... For some reason it has been not working properly for quite some time, and I had my system stutter bafly after start up, evey time, it nearly locks down for about five minutes. I though its my old trusty Wincarp XP that's failing, but it was the AVG after all. Interestingly it made the whole system stutter, wihtout taking any resources, when it happened the CPU was at 1-5%, ram at 24-26%.

Anyway, I had some serious problems with uninstalling the AVG. No fucking way to remove the files manually, and the uninstall program just produced an error message after few minutes. And I couldn't even turn off any of the AVG components.

I was already thinking about booting from external device, (cd, flashdrive) with a debugging program to remove everything related to AVG. But the problem was that I didn't have new enough program to do that, and I would need a complete list of paths/filenames of all AVG stuff and I would also need a way to access windows registry, which I don't know how to do outside regedit. Anyway, I used the AVG remover program then. Worked like a charm, AVG and the stuttering are away. I installed Avast instead.

It sucks that I don't have the tools to do this kind of stuff, namely a debugging program with which I could boot the computer, that way I could bypass all windows, AVG, what ever have you security protocols and do what ever I wish to any file I wish. At the time when first Pentium PCs came out, I used to have this 120mhz computer with both win95 and the last 'true' MS-DOS installed, I used to use DOS to bypass all security stuff and write protections and what have you. Those were the days, it was so easy to do what ever I wanted.

Anyway, AVG sucks big donkey dick, I wont be using it again. :D
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Help! AVG Takeover! 16 Jan 2014 16:11 #19

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Gaaaaaah AVG :mad: AND primo free pdf maker :mad: Don't be fooled by either.

I recently had a Trojan on my netbook that wouldn't even let me open the internet without blocking everything and putting up a notice that the only way I could clear it was by paying £99 (through my bank account, of course. Yeah! Right!). So I sent the netbook to a friend in Suffolk who is an IT expert....

.... and he said that he has never had to handle a machine as infected as my netbook .... courtesy of "free programmes" and ESPECIALLY AVG and PRIMO PDF.

Nothing comes free! But I do ask again - when did AVG become what they promised to prevent? :conf:

User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Help! AVG Takeover! 16 Jan 2014 16:17 #20

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Maybe AVG is bit like DI? :rofl:

Anyway, Avast all the way and my computer works so so smooth now. No problems what so ever.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare