Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: computer security and privacy

computer security and privacy 10 Feb 2013 16:08 #1

• StarsChildren
basic computer security is a first step in protecting yourself, your computer, your files... if you're not doing it (trusted what came installed on the computer), or you're leaving it to some wanna-be-geek at the store, you ain't getting squat in safety or privacy.

Basic Anti-Virus Software:
AVG (anti-virus... the free edition works just as well as the one you could pay for)
Spybot Search & Destroy
Comodo
Super Anti-Spyware

Safer Browsing (can run all at once or just pick and choose what you want based on features):
Tor Browser
proXPN
Total Security
Hotspot Shield

Basic Encryption Software:
TrueCrypt (not 100% but is fool proof)

System Cleaning (good for those few websites you may or may not visit that install cookies to track you around the internet... cookies are normally safe, but there are some sites that will attach them and get information from them):
Karen Cookie Viewer
CCleaner

Email Security
Set up an email account with a server that allows forwarding (AOL is a good example)
Get the settings to have it forwarded to the program your using (Thunderbird for example)
While setting it up, set it to delete it from the server - should be an option in set up with any program your using) - once it is forwarded to your program of choice it gets deleted from the mail servers (AOL systems drops it, or they are supposed to and it should now be stored on your program, on your computer)

Further security. When installing Thunderbird, outlook, etc... install it into a specific folder as a sub-directory.
Encrypt the folder (you want military grade encryption that has options to set it for only allowing access with the proper code)
Taking it one step further, when encrypting it with your chosen software (or one you made) there should be an option to wipe contents if it gets the wrong code (say 5 times) or if it is hacked (a backdoor is used).

Now, this only works on your end... an email can be intercepted at any point from Party A to Party B --- email seems instantaneous but it hops around both mail servers and can be picked up by anyone with the know how. To prevent this ^, you and the other party are going to both be using encryption software and pass-codes, both have receive and send codes they use for the other person (not something that can be handed out online, it has to be sent physically via flash drive, hand written letter, or passed face to face). Your going to type your email in notepad, or similar program... then your going to encrypt the file, attach it to email, and send. The other person gets this attachment, downloads/opens, decrypts it, reads, writes back, follows same procedure.

Not 100% but does stumbled up quite a few and it takes them longer to figure out what is being discussed between two parties.

Hard-drives:

Separate hard drive, or external one is always good. Even having multiple hard drives that you can swap out (say one for messing around on the internet, one for personal data (no internet)). If someone comes in to physically check your hard drive you can pull it and swap it with one that has spongebob (or other useless files) downloads on it. And you can always run a strong magnet down it and wipe it in worst scenario cases where your up to no good.

USB Flash drives:

Another option is running most, if not all, your programs in a travel system setup from a USB flash drive, it plugs in to any computer and you have it all in one, can use it anywhere in the portable version. You keep your data/files on encrypted flash drives, meaning if someone tries to access it, after a number of failed attempts, the flash drive automatically wipes itself clean and dumps all the information before anyone can see it. You can also run your browsers (tor, with hotspot running behind it or another proxy server, or two or three) all at the same time), should someone via the internet try to access your stuff, all they are going to get is the computer you are running from (even if they get through the proxy), all your data/files are still safe on the encrypted flash drive.
I don't like to think before I speak.
I like to be just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

computer security and privacy 10 Feb 2013 23:16 #2

• Jadoo
  • Fresh Member
  • That's me in my avatar.............
What?

computer security and privacy 10 Feb 2013 23:19 #3

• StarsChildren
a+b+t=9
a is not 0
b is not 7
t is 3
figure out what a and b are :coffee: then you we can move on to securing your computer from outside intrusion

computer security and privacy 10 Feb 2013 23:22 #4

• Jadoo
  • Fresh Member
  • That's me in my avatar.............
Pah!!

computer security and privacy 11 Feb 2013 01:26 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Basic Anti-Virus Software:
AVG (anti-virus... the free edition works just as well as the one you could pay for)
Spybot Search & Destroy

Yep, they work fine for me.
I also use ZoneAlarm (free version) for firewall.

Why pay? :cool:
The pen is mightier than the sword

computer security and privacy 11 Feb 2013 01:43 #6

• StarsChildren
exactly DG... and i find the free versions of AVG, Comodo, SpyBot, Super AntiSpyWare, etc... all work better than the ones you buy at the stores or come pre-installed (norton, macfee, etc...).

when I first started with computers i had norton and macfee, had numerous problems with the home computer, had someone put me onto AVG, it removed over 3000 issues, computer ran fine after that. that was like 13-14 years ago though, so maybe those programs have improved, but i will never again use them after seeing them say they removed the issue, and running something else and finding issues (trojans, viruses, spyware, etc...).

computer security and privacy 11 Feb 2013 02:19 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Norton was notorious for slowing down your system back in the day too....don't know if it's improved since, but I'm certainly not going to pay to find out... :hahano:

another good freebie for anti virus/spyware is Ad-Aware from Lavasoft:

www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: StarsChildren

computer security and privacy 11 Feb 2013 04:34 #8

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I currently have Comodo Dragon as my web browser, paired with Norton Internet Security (trial version) and I haven't had any issues (that I know of). My laptop, if I set the power plan to 'High Performance', is blazingly fast, most webpages load in an almost instant. Even on 'Balanced' mode, it's still super fast, so maybe Norton has improved over the years. Although if I use Internet Explorer, and then do a Norton scan, it always finds between 4 and 18 tracking cookies :hahano: Norton doesn't stop them at the door which is annoying. Good job I use Comodo as my browser mostly :chuckle:

computer security and privacy 11 Feb 2013 04:46 #9

• StarsChildren
use comodo internet security (www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php) combined with dragon... still runs fast, better chance at catching stuff before it gets into the systems. i haven't even run a virus scan in months (which reminds me i need to), but they provide a firewall as well as active protection... the two together, add in ad-block plus to dragon, you're off to a good start. i've had it pop up with a few things before, and it does take a while to configure (this is the only downfall -- you have to manually approve applications and programs to run, so it does take some time to configure, but its worth it when something tries to install without you knowing).

:chuckle: sorry, but anytime someone brings up norton i am going to recommend tossing it out the window
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare