Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: How?

How? 28 Jun 2013 14:32 #101

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
pheony wrote:
This is what happens when people don't do their job properly, or sell you a SHIT product! :villagers: :P

Exactly! And that Norton shit costs way too much for what it is, although I got mine on offer for £13.99 :P :D
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

How? 28 Jun 2013 14:43 #102

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
irrepressible wrote:
pheony wrote:
This is what happens when people don't do their job properly, or sell you a SHIT product! :villagers: :P

Exactly! And that Norton shit costs way too much for what it is, although I got mine on offer for £13.99 :P :D

I paid £39.99. :mad:

How? 28 Jun 2013 14:46 #103

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Oh dear... not good :hahano: They've tried to charge £49.99 if you renew it... that's what it said when I was renewing mine, so I went to their website and saw the same thing on special promotion for £13.99 :facepalm:

How? 28 Jun 2013 14:53 #104

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
irrepressible wrote:
Oh dear... not good :hahano: They've tried to charge £49.99 if you renew it... that's what it said when I was renewing mine, so I went to their website and saw the same thing on special promotion for £13.99 :facepalm:

The guy in the shop wanted me to buy a package for, I think it was £79.00 :rofl: and he kept prattling on about 'Cloud'..whatever the hell that is. :conf:
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

How? 28 Jun 2013 14:59 #105

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Ffs :facepalm: Shameless pimping of the highest priced product possible :chuckle: When I bought my laptop, the guy tried to cross sell me loads of things :roll: "do you want anti virus? Do you want extended warranty? Do you want a carry case?" "no mate, I want you to shut your hole" :D I didn't say that to him :chuckle:

The cloud is online storage something or other.

How? 28 Jun 2013 15:06 #106

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
irrepressible wrote:
Ffs :facepalm: Shameless pimping of the highest priced product possible :chuckle: When I bought my laptop, the guy tried to cross sell me loads of things :roll: "do you want anti virus? Do you want extended warranty? Do you want a carry case?" "no mate, I want you to shut your hole" :D I didn't say that to him :chuckle:

The cloud is online storage something or other.

I didn't listen to a word he said. :killinme:
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

How? 28 Jun 2013 18:44 #107

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
pheony wrote:
Before going to bed last night I inserted my 3 dongle and had a perfect connection, so my problem is the infinity. :roll:

Edit....No, it's not it's the Norton anti-virus :(

Tried both this morning and the computer was virtually unusable. Un-installed Norton and the computer is fine

I don't know what to do now :conf:

I've said this before....there is NO NEED to pay for anti-virus or firewall, the free ones available are perfectly fine for ordinary use (& better than Norton that's for sure). Norton is well-known for slowing down your system, has been for years.

Try these phe.

www.zonealarm.co.uk/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

^ ZoneAlarm free version. its excellent.

And for your anti-virus protection....

free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

AVG anti-virus free.

Also excellent, and the two are completely compatible with each other & won't slow your pc down. :cool:

Bin the Norton.
The pen is mightier than the sword

How? 28 Jun 2013 19:48 #108

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Thing is, DG, I had the free AVG but it's now taken over my search on the browser - and as a search engine, it's useless. I've tried to remove it (novum even advised me how, once before) but it doesn't work. Even now it's still on the browser. As I said when novum was advising about it: it seems to have become the very thing it was promising to stop.

:(
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

How? 28 Jun 2013 19:59 #109

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
pheony wrote:
Before going to bed last night I inserted my 3 dongle and had a perfect connection, so my problem is the infinity. :roll:

Edit....No, it's not it's the Norton anti-virus :(

Tried both this morning and the computer was virtually unusable. Un-installed Norton and the computer is fine

I don't know what to do now :conf:

I've said this before....there is NO NEED to pay for anti-virus or firewall, the free ones available are perfectly fine for ordinary use (& better than Norton that's for sure). Norton is well-known for slowing down your system, has been for years.

Try these phe.

www.zonealarm.co.uk/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

^ ZoneAlarm free version. its excellent.

And for your anti-virus protection....

free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

AVG anti-virus free.

Also excellent, and the two are completely compatible with each other & won't slow your pc down. :cool:

Bin the Norton.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Like cantata I tried AVG before and had the same problems.
At the moment I'm using the one that I started to use when my Norton expired months ago. It seems to be fine and the computer is super fast.

I always had issues with Norton before, but nothing like this. I won't be using it again.

How? 28 Jun 2013 20:03 #110

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Norton works perfectly on my laptop, so it's weird. I think novum even mentioned that he uses Norton. Maybe it works better with certain computers/laptops. I tried AVG and I had to uninstall it, messed my laptop right up and slowed it down to an unusable level.

How? 28 Jun 2013 20:25 #111

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
Thing is, DG, I had the free AVG but it's now taken over my search on the browser - and as a search engine, it's useless. I've tried to remove it (novum even advised me how, once before) but it doesn't work. Even now it's still on the browser. As I said when novum was advising about it: it seems to have become the very thing it was promising to stop.

:(

Ah yes, I remember when AVG started doing that, a year or so ago wasn't it. According to AVG it wasn't 'intentional' as such, but a fault on their part.

You shouldn't be having the problem now. If you select Google Chrome as your 'default browser' it'll stay as such....Google as your search engine page etc....its there all the time.

Google Chrome is the best browser all round anyway in my opinion.

How? 28 Jun 2013 20:39 #112

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Well, AVG might claim it's unintentional - but I still can't get rid of them off my browser. I don't really want to change from the bog-standard msm browser. It suits my needs. But I can't get it.... because of AVG.
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

How? 28 Jun 2013 20:45 #113

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Hmm....you should be able to, no problem.

I don't use the msm browser & never have, so don't know what the set-up on it looks like exactly, but there should be an option to pick a 'default search engine' somewhere.

Have a look. You just need to select Google as it, and the crappy AVG search engine will disappear.

*edit* Are you using msm as your default browser, or do you mean you want msm as your search engine?
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2013 20:49 by diamondgeezer.

How? 28 Jun 2013 20:47 #114

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Hmm....you should be able to, no problem.

I don't use the msm browser & never have, so don't know what the set-up on it looks like exactly, but there should be an option to pick a 'default search engine' somewhere.

Have a look. You just need to select Google as it, and the crappy AVG search engine will disappear.

It won't just disappear...I had it on my last computer and what ever I did, It was still lurking somewhere.

How? 28 Jun 2013 21:10 #115

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
There is definitely a way phe.

When novum gets in, he'll probably be able to explain it to cantata better than me.

Like I said though, I'd recommend that everyone use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as their default browser.

How? 28 Jun 2013 21:15 #116

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

How? 28 Jun 2013 21:19 #117

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
There is definitely a way phe.

When novum gets in, he'll probably be able to explain it to cantata better than me.

Like I said though, I'd recommend that everyone use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as their default browser.

I'm sure there must be a way, but it appears to be very difficult to get rid of. You think it's gone, then it just reappears. I think novum tried to help out before?

How? 28 Jun 2013 21:38 #118

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep I vaguely remember.

I've not had any problems myself since, because as I said I use Google Chrome as my browser, and with that whenever you open a new tab, the google search engine option is just there, in the middle of the page. No way AVG can affect/change it.

Chrome is the business...I think cantata should seriously consider switching to it....her search engine problem would be gone instantly.

How? 28 Jun 2013 21:55 #119

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare