Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever.

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 02 Dec 2013 17:08 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
A team of Russian cybercriminals have created a computer virus so sophisticated it can steal the money from any bank account in any country.
Called the Neverquest Trojan, it lies hidden on malicious websites or infected computers and can steal the usernames and passwords for people’s online banking accounts.
Once it has access to these accounts it can empty them completely and is so advanced, security experts are warning that traditional antivirus software isn't enough to keep users protected.

This is because the Trojan has been designed to contain ‘just about every possible trick’ known to hackers to avoid being caught and disabled.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2516768/Bank-accounts-threat-advanced-Trojans-ever.html

I don't bank online. Most people I know do. I would rather not take the chance.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 02 Dec 2013 22:48 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't bank online either phe, don't trust it.

And after what paypal have done to me...well that's just pissed me off doing it even more. Freezing my account ffs....
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 03 Dec 2013 07:41 #3

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I do my banking online... I don't like it too much, but I have no other option. My bank is on the other side of town and costs to use their services there, net banking's free. :( And they don't have enough people to make the bank work smooth these days, whole place is packed with people and you'll have to wait for at least half an hour to get any service.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 22 Dec 2013 20:00 #4

• miacat
  • Fresh Member
  • Rural Retreat
Hmmm....but it IS the DM. Also sounds a bit like an advertorial for Kaspersky Labs.

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 22 Dec 2013 20:15 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 22 Dec 2013 20:49 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
pheony wrote:
I don't bank online. Most people I know do. I would rather not take the chance.

With extra security layers and daily limits its not so easy to be cleaned out.

SMS security for example, codes sent to your cell phone.

Rabobank also has a digital keypad that creates unique codes for each user and is not hooked up to the internet, no one can get your money out without that, they physically have to have it and know your password for that gizmo also.

theres other things also.

Hex i see what you see here, all the banks had so many branches 15 years ago, theyve completely slashed the amount of them, obviously knowing the online thing would take over... cutting costs.

When i have to visit one for whatever reason its often worse than the car registration departments and so on. :hahano: One bank in particular that i have an account with only has a handful of branches in a city of over 1 million people.. and its the largest bank in the country i think in terms of the stockmarket value if im not mistaken. And stay well away on pension pay day its even worse. I hate line ups, especially when what you need to do once you get to the counter only takes a minute or 2.

*waits for hypertiger to tell me off for using banks*
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 22 Dec 2013 20:54 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
I don't bank online either phe, don't trust it.

And after what paypal have done to me...well that's just pissed me off doing it even more. Freezing my account ffs....

They will unfreeze it though if they know you are you. :hahano:

Once the ID info is sent they promptly unfreeze, its happened to me also.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 23 Dec 2013 00:33 #8

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
Is the internet really secure on any level? Many people claim that using different programs, proxy servers and etc provides protection, but I am not convinced. This article in the Guardian made me doubt even my AV software: $10m NSA contract with security firm RSA led to encryption 'back door'. www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/20/nsa-internet-security-rsa-secret-10m-encryption. One section of this reveals how VeriSign is not even secure; this raised my eyebrows beacuse of a problem I encountered a few years ago when trying to buy something through the internet.
I had used a Visa CC, which was declined at the gateway, even though there was no reason for it to be declined (it had almost a full compliment of credit, and the card details entered were correct). When I contacted Visa, they had no record of the card being used for the transaction, no decline record, no history of the attempted transaction at all. It was likely that the card details had been intercepted in the gateway somehow. I had the card and all security features replaced immediately, but I never used it again and that was the last time I used a CC in my life.

I now have a debit card with a building society. It can be used for online shopping, but I do not trust that any of my card details are safe when using it online, so never do. It is also set up for online banking and each customer is given some sort of palm-held random code generator (that sort of looks like an old fashioned calculator) to use with it for logging into the account when banking online. It adds a touch of colour to my deskclutter, but it is not designed to do much to protect any of my details from those who really want them. Key stroke loggers are really common, and god only knows what is really going on during that post boot update frenzy with all the lights on my keyboard twinkling and the disk activity light blinking at the speed of light... ANYthing could be coming or going.

In any event, according to the Guardian article, even paid-for user privacy and security simply doesn't exist and never has, and VeriSign is not secure, either. This niggles because if I ever want to fly anywhere, I need to use a debit card to pay for my tickets, and in doing so, I am trusting the travel agency to keep my details secure, and no doubt they would say that they use VeriSign and have complete faith in its security provisions. Of course they would say that, what other options do they have access to in order to process CCs or DCs; and we are told that we have to use cards (not cash) because of "security reasons". :roll:
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2013 00:35 by syxx.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever. 23 Dec 2013 01:04 #9

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I try use a debit card and transfer money in as i need it. especially so when dealing with questionable establishments.

but it has to be an account that is set up to allow little or no overdraft, so that payment is rejected if someone gets the card details and tries to pull out a bunch of funds.

Credit cards on the other hand can be quite risky, especially as the limit gets higher.

you want to say something securely, you walk into a field , leaving your computers and phones behind, talk while cover mouth. :hahano: and even then with parabolics you can never know for sure. only other way is write it on paper and hand it over :hahano:

computers are a great way for governments and others to snoop... unless your really know what you are doing. You may think you know and be lulled into a false sense of security, but thats what they want perhaps, to keep you online and not seek alternative methods, because they can intercept you online.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 23 Dec 2013 01:06 by novum.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare