Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 03:12 #281

I would go for linux lite anyway if I were you. It's possibly the best and easiest to use Ubuntu based linux. Don't be fooled by the name ''Lite'' either, it's good to go from out of the box..

It's just a simple matter of downloading the ISO and burning it to desk. Best to burn the image to disk on the slowest speed possible. Don't worry about the checksum, it's just there to detect any errors in the ISO after download. You're over complicating things for yourself. If you've downloaded a good image and copied it to disk properly then it will load, which means it's not corrupted.

Just make sure you set the boot sequence to CD rom as the first boot priority in the bios settings before popping the CD into the tray to boot into Linux. You can live boot btw, which means you can boot into the OS without having to install it on your hard drive..

You know how to get into your bios settings, right? Just keep tapping the delete button on the keyboard during a system reboot, then go through the menu settings and set the boot priority to CD rom as first priority rather than your hard drive. You should find it in the boot settings.

I know this image in the link is good because it's the one I've used myself to install linux lite, 64 bit that is. Here
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 26 May 2016 03:17 by Return of Zorro.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 21:17 #282

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Well Im a bit nervous about Bios settings and Mint instructions dont mention having to change them. You can just put the dic in the drive and restart and it will bott to |Mint. i did dl lite as well and am wondering if you can do the same with lite and if does an auto partition etc.

I just spotted this and this kind of techno speak leaves me feeling very frustrated
Secure Boot

Linux Lite recommends that you set your Bios to Legacy. If you already have Windows installed and you wish to dual boot with Linux Lite, we recommend you set your Bios to Legacy mode then reinstall Windows, and then Linux Lite. Linux Lite does not support or advocate the use of Secure Boot.

I dont want reinstall windows. I assume secure boot is something special? I hope so.

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 21:56 #283

Don't worry about any of that ''secure boot'' stuff if you're in windows 7. It came out in windows 8 I think, and was mainly designed to stop people from installing Linux or non windows systems on computers that came retail with Windows 8. It's bollox, just like lots of other ''security updates'' that Microsoft pushes..

You won't need to re-install windows 7 if you're installing Linux lite on a dual boot, that's rubbish.. the only thing it will do is change the boot-loader.. so it gives you the option to boot into either OS on start up.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 22:17 #284

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Linux Mint - no need to change Bios setting to try it out w/o installing (I know this is correct)
Linux Lite - need to to change Bios settings to try it out w/o installing

Is that right? I can say right now if I need to change Bios i will be previewing Linux Mint.

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 23:06 #285

You shouldn't need to change any of the settings in the bios to load and install either mint or Lite. They're both Ubuntu based, which means they'll probably both load and install with identical settings.

Out of the two distros I prefer Lite, it just runs ultra smooth and zippy.

Once you get used to one of the more widely used Ubuntu based systems then try something like Manjaro which is based on Arch Linux. I fully customized a Manjaro OS last year based on a Mac theme.. you can fully customize most distros btw..

Like I said the only thing you may need to change is the boot priority sequence to CD-rom.. an easy task btw.

Last Edit: 27 May 2016 01:35 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 26 May 2016 23:39 #286

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Easy for you perhaps. But thanks for the help.I find the Mint PDF Help manual so far better at explaining things to simpletons like me that the Lite (non PDF) manual. But admittedly even looking into this stuff gives me indigestion and the runs. LOL.

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 15:23 #287

If you're that worried then why not just buy a cheap old computer from your local adds and use it to practice on, rather than risk you doing something wrong on your main machine. You can often pick up old computers with 2 gig of ram for around 20-30 quid. Sometimes cheaper. That's how I first learned. Not that much can go wrong with installing an ubuntu based linux on a dual boot alongside windows. The installation wizard guides you through the easy steps. It's actually harder to make a mistake than it is getting it right first time.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 17:48 #288

At the end of the day Voltaire, if you're going to learn how to do even the most basic of techy stuff then you need to leave any fear of your computer or doing something wrong at the door.. :hahano:

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 18:07 #289

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
What would you say the biggest incentive towards changing from a Microsoft OS to a linux one is, zorro?

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 18:29 #290

It has it's pros and cons obviously. The downside is Linux is very limited on what software there is to offer. For instance high end video editing & composition software, and design software etc. On the plus side what there is on offer is usually open source and free, plus the operating system itself is usually free. Linux is also very light on computer recourses like memory and CPU, and also doesn't require you to download and install all the latest ''security updates'' like Microsoft does. Then there's the virus thing that windows Operating systems are generally plagued with, partly due to the fact that's the platform that most people use. Usually if you do get malware or a virus on linux it's a simple matter of rebooting the system or closing the browser, unlike windows. where a bad virus or nasty piece of malware or ransonware can pretty much make the whole system dysfunctional.

That's the reason why I've gone over to a Mac platform, you get all the best software on offer, the same as windows, but like Linux Macs aren't plagued with viruses and malware, and it doesn't effect the whole system when you do get one..

Nothing wrong with windows though, windows is a great OS, it's just the platform is plagued with viruses.
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 18:32 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 18:41 #291

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
My pc is just an internet conduit and a glorified media player with great library facilities. I don't need it for any intense resource-hungry functions. Best to stay with what I have(vista and xp) until they're showing wear and tear, d'ya think?

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 18:49 #292

Vista SP2, and XP SP3, then yes. Nothing wrong with either.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 18:56 #293

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
Yep, got those versions.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 19:08 #294

I bet you haven't got windows XP black edition though.. have you? :hahano:

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 19:21 #295

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
True. Are those the dials for System Mechanic I see on there?

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 19:27 #296

Dunno, it's not my copy, I stopped using XP years ago.. I had a copy of black though. There's loads of different versions floating around on the webs. Some even come pre-packed with pirated software..

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 27 May 2016 22:43 #297

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
If you're that worried then why not just buy a cheap old computer from your local adds and use it to practice on, rather than risk you doing something wrong on your main machine. You can often pick up old computers with 2 gig of ram for around 20-30 quid. Sometimes cheaper. That's how I first learned. Not that much can go wrong with installing an ubuntu based linux on a dual boot alongside windows. The installation wizard guides you through the easy steps. It's actually harder to make a mistake than it is getting it right first time.

I have an old one but it has no usb port so i wouldnt be able to access the internet. I might give it a go. Also the cheap pc tip might also work. Letting go of my nervousness is another possibility.

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 20:43 #298

When I get the time I will go through the process of how to install a Mac on a PC.. maybe later this evening if I find the time.

It's really not as difficult as some people make out, at least once it finally clicks how to do it properly. Specific hardware requirements and the correct Bios settings is the key. I've been running it all day now without any glitches whatsoever. F**k going out and buying a 3-4 year old iMac and paying through the nose for it. Problem solved.. :cool:

The main problems I faced was compatibility issues with my newer Radeon graphics cards, and mac not supporting those specific cards & drivers. All I did in the end was pop one of my slightly older Radeon 5000 series cards in, and everything is stable and working perfectly now, final cut pro and photoshop etc are all now working 100%. :chuckle:
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 20:53 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 20:51 #299

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
Are all the linux variants just stripped down versions of windows-type GUi's, or is there something else that differentiates them?

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 21:12 #300

No not really, it also depends on what desktop you install, obviously. There's many different types in linux, most are windows-like from out the box, but you can easily clone the desktop to a mac-like theme and layout without too much fuss and messing about. The Gnome or unity desktops for instance are kind of a bad mac clone from out the box.. you can also install Cairo dock for linux, which is very similar to the Mac OS X quick launch dock.