Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 21:34 #301

• Cinta
  • Never Again
  • ''None are more hopelessly enslaved,than those who falsely believe they are free
Windows 7

And the machine won't dowload or install my 64 updates :iitm:

Suggestions anyone
This kind of disgusting and disrespectful behaviour is condoned here

ORANGEAID verbal abuse

''Cinta is a whore.
I don't change one word I've said.''

truth-zone.net/forum/members-area/67105-open-up-the-clarity-zone-to-all-tz-members-we-need-transparency-and-not-secrecy.html?start=80#209733
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 22:22 #302

Simples, just follow my coming tutorial and instructions on how to install a Mac and replace your windows.. :O

Joking aside, t's hard to say what the problem might be? It's often a corrupt Windows Update folder that causes the downloads and updates to freeze or to take forever. I found windows updates often quite slow and annoying even when it's working properly.. .

You may need to clean the updates folder to reset windows update? Try this below

Click the start button and type in services.msc

Stop the Windows Update Service.

Delete the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. (This will stop the Windows Update Service and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

Start the Windows Update Service.

Try Windows Update again.

Let me know if these steps solve the problem or not?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 22:35 by Return of Zorro.
User(s) who Liked this post: Cinta

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 22:50 #303

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Cinta wrote:
Windows 7

And the machine won't dowload or install my 64 updates :iitm:

Suggestions anyone

Funny i had this 2 days ago.. i even started a thread on it then got distracted by something and i lost the post.

I tried what zorro said first, though that alone didnt work for me.

Unfortunately followed all of this...

www.infopackets.com/news/9602/how-fix-windows-update-wont-update

and even more as i followed the link to microsoft via the suggestion at the end of the steps above :hahano:

Here: support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

But in hindsight cinta here is my suggestion (as i feel alot of the steps above arent what fixed it)

Before you take the long road (eg links above) do the following first...

1. Do what Zorro said, which is delete the contents of the software distrubution folder.

2. Set your updates to "Install Automatically (recommended) " under System and Security

Then in System and Security, press check for updates.. but here is the important bit... just wait.. do it when you can leave your computer on indefinitely, AND WAIT.

It may appear like nothing is happening, but sure enough they might download, and you wont know but leave the computer overnight or something and then just shut it down... on shutdown you will see windows updates being installed.

I read someone do the above and it worked for them and the post seemed convincing enough so i tried it myself and it fixed it.. now my computer is up to date (i had 43 updates) ... it took hours, i left it at 'check for updates' all day, and it looked like nothing was happening, but it was downloading the stuff!

It looked like it was stuck at 'checking for updates'

but it was downloading them, which you will only know when you shut the computer down in a few hours, and it does the usual 'please do not turn off or power down.. windows is installing updates" message on the shut down screen.

So obviously microsoft has done something for us to both have this issue and others out there.

And it didnt install windows 10 btw.. but if what i just wrote works for you and the updates are all in and done.. then after the above steps (after the computer is up to date) id reset "Install updates automatically" to "check for updates but let me choose to install" .

Good luck. :)

Mine works properly again now after a day of battles! :hahano: and i set mine to "check for updates but let me choose" after it was all done and updated... and it all seems to work how it should now.. even when i manually check for updates it works properly.. you just have to ignore prompts to install windows 10 :hahano:

And then you can install this to reduce the 'spying' that apparently occurs with windows and its updates...

www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 23:06 by novum.
User(s) who Liked this post: Return of Zorro, Cinta

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 23:24 #304

Windows updates ey.. having to leave the computer on all night for a few updates to install.. :mad: :roll: :O :hahano: :chuckle: Bills in there with his tool kit..

Been there and done it myself in my noddy turns on his computer days.. :chuckle:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 23:27 by Return of Zorro.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 23:30 #305

• novum
  • Platinum Member
:hahano:

well it hasnt been the case for years for me, but recently there seems to be an epidemic.

Someone suggested microsoft is either punishing people for not going to 10, or punishing them for changing the update settings any differently to "install updates automatically" :hahano:

Im glad i caught the post of someone on some obscure corner of the web saying to do what i wrote in my previous post here.. delete softwaredistrution folder, set to update automatically, manually check for updates.. then just fkn wait :larf: because i feel that is what fixed it, all the other shit on those two links didnt. :larf:

For cintas reference (and anyone else reading) .. deleting the content of the software distrubution folder just removes the existing list of pending updates and forces the computer to look again and also get all the latest versions of updates, apparently.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 23:34 #306

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
win 7 - last week's updates took forever (i am not set to install automatically)

Also i keep rejecting the "important" updates (which should be classed as optional) which installs software allowing you to upgrade to Win 10.

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 23:35 #307

It seems that way doesn't it. My windows 7 update hasn't been the same since I deleted the windows 10 install folder. Strange that ey. Microsoft are trying to push everybody onto windows 10, which as you know is full of stuff to spy on people. Much of it can be disabled though.
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 23:38 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 28 May 2016 23:41 #308

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I will try 10 eventually, but i want to get another hard drive, clone what i have onto it (using Macrium Reflect) .. then upgrade the clone and see how my laptop handles it.. if its no good i can just slide the other hard drive in.

I already have one extra hard drive with a clone of what i have, but i want to leave that alone... just aint got round to getting an extra one.

1365 = 1

User(s) who Liked this post: Return of Zorro

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 29 May 2016 00:18 #309

i already have one drive with windows 10 on, it's a good OS, very stable and quick. I just don't like all the extra ''security'' features and big brother spying ''services.''

Good idea to clone your best system onto another disk. I do exactly the same.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 29 May 2016 00:24 #310

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
This is the version of me when it comes to fiddling with computers - enjoy.

Truth is anti-semitic
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Return of Zorro

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 29 May 2016 00:26 #311

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Zorro wrote:
i already have one drive with windows 10 on, it's a good OS, very stable and quick. I just don't like all the extra ''security'' features and big brother spying ''services.''

Good idea to clone your best system onto another disk. I do exactly the same.

Yep i found out about Macrium Reflect from you :chuckle: its a great tool to have. :cool: I find it easier to just have another hard drive and clone onto that as backup, than mess around with windows images/backups.

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 29 May 2016 00:30 by novum.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 30 May 2016 19:32 #312

Specs as shown below. I'll get around to making a tutorial on how to later some time next week maybe, or at least write up a description and add some links. It should work with most fairly modern Intel processors though, and even some of the older one's, especially if you have an intel Core 2 Duo. Not sure about some of the older pentiums though?

Intel core i7 processor

Asrock P55 pro motherboard

AMD Radeon HD 6850 X2 (Asus) Graphics card

8 Gig of ram DDR3

Last Edit: 30 May 2016 19:38 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 03 Jun 2016 01:54 #313

Disk cloning and recovery for Mac. SuperDuper v2.8. Easily create a fully bootable backup or clone of your hard drive.

Last Edit: 03 Jun 2016 01:58 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 03 Jun 2016 02:14 #314

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
So, what if your Hard Drive fails?

Remember I wear a knotted hanky on my head :)

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 03 Jun 2016 13:05 #315

So what if your Hard Drive fails? You're fooked basically.

.. Only joking, that would depend on why it failed or what type of failure it is, i.e whether it's mechanical or logical failure.

You've little hope of ever getting your files back if it's mechanical failure, unless you send the Hard Disk off to an expert, but that could cost you big dollars.

When it's logical failure then it should just be a case of using Hard Drive recovery software to retrieve your files and data.
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2016 13:07 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 03 Jun 2016 13:20 #316

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
Hi Zorro. Let's see if we can talk computering without the name-calling.

Do you have an understanding of the limitations of amateur forensic hard-drive repairs? Apart from funding a dust-free environment, where does all the other costs come from when these pro's offer their services?

Also, if you were making a USB thumbdrive emergency software kit, what vital tools would you have on it?
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2016 13:22 by ragnarok.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 03 Jun 2016 15:42 #317

I don't claim to be an expert on Hard Drive recovery, but the high costs are no doubt down to time= money factors i.e mechanical failure would probably involve stripping the Drive down and parts being removed and replaced to retrieve files and data.

I always keep a number of tools handy in case a system fails to boot for a number of reasons. There's various system or boot recovery tools out there to recover an un-bootable system or to restore the Master Boot Record (MBR), such as Hiren's Boot CD, Ultimate Boot CD etc and something like hitman pro on USB to deal with any serious malware issues that can't normally be removed by standard anti-virus or anti-malware software. If the system boots and if poor performance is down to a virus, malware or some malicious root kit that can't be removed, then try a system restore back to a time or back-up where you know the system was running fine.

Obviously the best thing to do is keep a spare Hard Drive and clone of your OS. A small price to pay for around 30-50 quid for a spare Hard Drive, and an evening spent learning how to clone a bootable disk of your existing OS. There's various free software out there to do this with. It's not rocket science either.

Windows is a great OS, at least when it's running how it should run, but the platform is plagued with viruses and malware. Disk fragmentation is also an issue, especially if you're using high end video editing software and such. Which is another reason why I'm now on a Mac.
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2016 18:27 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 05 Jun 2016 01:00 #318

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
On the Mac OS - will it read Word Documents (created in Microsoft OS) and allow you to create new ones?

Truth is anti-semitic

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 05 Jun 2016 01:35 #319

Of course a Mac will open and read Word documents. You can also install Microsoft word. Not only that, you can run windows alongside Mac OS X in a Mac, which is something you can't do in windows, unless it's a virtual machine. There's a utility that comes with Mac called bootcamp, which allows you to install windows easily on a dual boot. You can also run windows in an app called Parallels Desktop..

Last Edit: 05 Jun 2016 01:54 by Return of Zorro.

A General Computer Tip, Hints, Help, Fixes, Questions, Suggestions, Solutions, Ideas & HTML code, BBcode ... etc. 05 Jun 2016 02:00 #320

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Thanks Zorro. I didnt understand everything you wrote (my fault not yours) but good to know. Still Linux would be a cheaper alternative

Can I ask why you wanted a Mac system rather than just using Linux?

Please think of me as a 6 year old when replying :)

Truth is anti-semitic