Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windows 10 - what do people think of it?

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 09:46 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Just installed it after years of windows 7 professional and ultimate on a laptop.

Seems ok :coffee:

My laptop seems faster when i browse the web, and i dont mind the modern look and feel. Some of the icons in the system tray give me better access to things, and much of what is new makes enough sense. Its not that different to 7.

I had a little trouble with NVIDIA which is my graphics driver (laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card) ... couldnt access the control panel like before... but sorted it out like this - uninstalled all the NVIDIA stuff with add/remove programs, then went into Device Manager, expanded on 'Display adapters' , outside click that and select 'Update driver software' and used the option to find the nvidia folder thats already on my computer, and it installed it again and no problems now, i can access the NVIDIA controls again.

Other than that the upgrade as they call it was quite straight forward.

Made sure Spybot Anti-Beacon was turned on again (recommended, check it out here :right: www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ )

Seen some discussions online about people having issues with win10 but for me it all went ok.

And yes yes i know, microsoft, evil , spying etc etc. Well one day i will get round to linuxing :hahano:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 11:17 #2

• ragnarok
  • Gold Member
Sounds a bit too high tech for me. I like the time-machine effect I get from being transported straight back to 2007 whenever I power up my Vista Home Premium os.
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016 11:17 by ragnarok.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 11:34 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Well i have an old XP desktop set up that i bought brand new in y2k or something, i can get my kicks that way.

Or if i want to go back further just log in here. eg to 1945.

:gmc:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 16:01 #4

• wolfy
  • Silver Member
There is a reason they gave it away for free.

Their buisiness model is subscription based apps now.

They have also taken a lot of functionality away, group policy editor for example.

Fuck microsoft, i will never pay for any ms software.
It was always going to happen!!
User(s) who Liked this post: Guessed

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 22:37 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Yes i noticed the microsoft store icon in the toolbar, had a look, nothing there to interest me though i accept your point about them taking things away, probably so you have to pay for an alternative, right?

They are a business at the end of the day and thats what businesses do... hopefully i wont be giving them any dollars, even though i have given them my soul for downloading the upgrade. :hahano:

On the flip side we should support open source stuff too, im guilty of not doing enough of that.

1365 = 1

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 22:39 #6

• PFIZIPFEI
  • Platinum Member
  • WORDS are my SWORD
I think this thread is a nice - more or less - subliminal ad.

"The truth must be repeated over and over again,
because error is repeatedly preached among us, not
only by individuals, but by the masses. In periodicals
and cyclopaedias, in schools and universities; every-
where, in fact, error prevails, and is quite easy in the
feeling that it has a decided majority on its side."

~ J. W. v. Goethe

Johannes Lang "The Hollow World Theory" Blog
My Zone by PFIZIPFEI

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 30 Jun 2016 22:45 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Ok Stampy ya got me, no fooling you is there.

Out of curiosity... since im promoting microsoft, how much you reckon they pay me?

Or do you think its part of the package deal im on and im just fed directives that i must follow? If so, what do you think my system minion package is worth pa?

1365 = 1

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 01 Jul 2016 18:42 #8

• Straight Shooter

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 02 Jul 2016 13:42 #9

I have windows 10 installed on one of my drives. It's O.K, runs well enough, everything is easy to find etc, updates are easy. I just don't like the intrusive new terms of use that Microsoft have added to windows 10. Sure you can turn most of it off if you know what you're doing, but I still prefer windows 7.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 02 Jul 2016 18:49 #10

• Drifty
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Yes I bought my laptop with windows 8 and after realizing that updates take 3-4 hours (im exaggerating ..mostly) I turned them off and am refusing to upgrade/update. Something telling me not to. I don't care

Works just fine as is. I wish I could understand how to use Linux. I tried years ago and ended up failing, having to reinstall windows.
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 05 Jul 2016 12:52 #11

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Ive had my first small issue with windows 10 just now.

The windows icon in the toolbar as well as the system tray icons such as volume could not be left clicked.

The windows icon im referring to is the furthermost left hand side icon thats been there through various versions of windows.

Pressing the windows button on my keyboard also wouldnt work this as it usually does, nothing would happen just like the left click.

Anyway i found an easy fix online incase anyone has the same issue... the following worked for me...

Other than that, the devil has been good so far performance wise, and my laptop seems faster with 10 than with 7.

1365 = 1

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 03 Sep 2016 23:12 #12

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
  • BELIEF IS THE ENEMY OF TRUTH
I'm writing a couple of books @ moment and to this end have won a Lenovo IdeaPad on eBay with Win 10 on it. I will evaluate it on the go, but would not risk the free upgrade on my bigger HP i7 jobs that I use for audio etc. Still Win 7 Ultim8
To understand who rules over you look to whom you tube can't criticise

The media isn't there to cover the news
It's there to cover the news up

All establishment lies pass through three stages
First, they are accepted as being self evident
Second, they are exposed by diligent research
Third, they are enforced

"Communism is the bloodiest, most difficult and the most terrible way from capitalism to capitalism" from Under the Sign of the Scorpion by Juri Lina

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 04 Sep 2016 01:19 #13

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Mines still ticking over quite smoothly as far as performace goes...i think i can make the call that its an upgrade at this point, rather than a downgrade, over 7, at least performance wise, privacy concerns aside.

1365 = 1

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 04 Sep 2016 04:13 #14

• zax
  • Gold Member
at least performance wise

Yes,the updates were messing up my W7 pc so I upgraded.And a new pc has W10.
But I don't care for it.Tweaked start menu so that is good,but the dull look is a step backwards over Vista.
The Edge is like other new browsers.Not as user friendly as older ones.Firefox and Opera look just like it.
IE11 works now.It was designed for W10 so never worked well on W7 for me.
Shorcuts are app-based so you can't right-click and send to desk top for most things.Need to paste url into field and then pick an icon.
Need to disable the snoop stuff,but updates turn many of them on again unless you use Spybot Antibeacon.
Could find everything quickly on W7,lotsa extra clicks on W10.
Once I start using my new pc I will downgrade the old one.
W10 remnids me of Windows 95 with IPhone apps features.Barbaric really.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 05 Dec 2016 17:58 #15

• Guessed
  • Fresh Member
Windows 10 is the reason I switched one of my boxes over to Linux.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 06 Dec 2016 17:03 #16

I use mainly windows 7 and Mac El Capitan, and occasionally Linux. I do have Windows 10 on one of my disks but I hardly ever use it. Each have their pro's and con's I guess, but I still prefer windows 7 over windows 10 on balance, maybe just because I'm so familiar with the desk top and layout on Windows 7? Windows 7 is a cracking OS when everything is working as it should. For ease of use though and for pure no nonsense functionality and stability you can't beat the Mac.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2016 17:04 by Return of Zorro.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 07 Dec 2016 10:42 #17

• Frothy
  • Released
Zorro
Windows 7 is a cracking

Mind you don't cut your tongue.
Jews LARPing as Nazis

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 07 Dec 2016 13:38 #18

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Before you begin I recommend you do a full backup of your data.

If you are looking to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 already installed, then this video is for you. You can create this dual-boot system from pretty much any version of Windows I am going to show you how easy it is to dual boot both these operating systems, you will get a menu where you can choose to boot into Windows 7 or Windows 10.

We will need to make sure we have a partition or another hard drive for our dual boot to work correctly. You can create a new partition on your hard drive using the Windows Disk Management Utility, this is easy to do in by shrinking the volume .

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 07 Dec 2016 13:39 #19

How To Make Windows 10 Look and Feel Like Windows 7

Last Edit: 07 Dec 2016 13:45 by Return of Zorro.

Windows 10 - what do people think of it? 13 Dec 2016 16:38 #20

• Guessed
  • Fresh Member
novum wrote:
On the flip side we should support open source stuff too, im guilty of not doing enough of that.

I've thought that for many years and was equally as guilty. Just recently I made the leap.
It is not as drastic a transition as you might think. It is all in what you choose.
I opted for Linux Mint 18 because I am not willing to got back to the dos command days.
Guess I'm stuck on GUIs.
It's simple to try. You don't even have to install it. You can make or buy a live disk, run it, decide if you like it.
I'm likin' it.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum