Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: Firefox 57

Firefox 57 14 Nov 2017 17:39 #1

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
I learned that the latest version of FF will knock 3 of the addons i like out of action so I decided not to load the new version, at least for now.

www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-add-on-armageddon-arrives-how-to-see-if-you-are-going-to-be-hit/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b...72688253262375158449
Firefox 57 is set to bring the biggest shake-up that Mozilla's browser ecosystem has seen in quite some time, and the simple reason is that a huge number of extensions and add-ons are set to stop working.

Appearing on November 14, Firefox Quantum brings together a number of long-running programs to speed up the browser -- including using its C++ alternative language Rust and multi-process functionality -- but it comes at the cost of Firefox's best feature, its extensibility.

This is far from a surprise, with the switch from XUL to WebExtensions first signalled in mid-2015, but it is a hard break with the past.

Many popular extensions have already been ported to the new framework, but due to extra restrictions imposed by WebExtensions, some existing add-ons are simply unable to do what they once did.

For those still using Firefox 56 and earlier who would like to know what they are going to lose when they upgrade to 57, you are able to see what will disappear thanks to the Add-on Compatibility Reporter found here: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/.

more at link

Truth is anti-semitic
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017 17:39 by Voltaire.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Return of Zorro

Firefox 57 14 Nov 2017 19:19 #2

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
I was too late to stop 57 loading - took a look and damn - all the video dl programmes were asking me to accept that they could check my browsing histury and other intrusive stuff. i have reverted to the previous version but one of my extension which allowed the font size on the toolbar to be changed no longer works

Truth is anti-semitic

Firefox 57 14 Nov 2017 21:43 #3

The problem is I found the last version of Firefox before 57 was becoming a bit unstable, If you install Firefox 57 then make sure you tick the option ''Prevent accessibility services from accessing you browser" in the options menu, to block access from third parties viewing your browsing history.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius

Firefox 57 14 Nov 2017 21:51 #4

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
I take it that is new to 57 as it is not available in 56 - was not having issues with 56 - quite used to ff crashing every few weeks for ages - just went with it and restarted

Truth is anti-semitic

Firefox 57 14 Nov 2017 22:08 #5

I guess so, Voltaire. I just updated to 57 today. I'll see what feed back other peeps give on the latest version re security and snooping before I think about rolling back to 56. The trouble is when using older browsers they start becoming unstable when running certain add-ons or scripts. Version 56 started to take ages uploading material to youtube, sometimes it just froze on me altogether, and was also doing strange things when logged into YouTube, like the page shaking or bumping when scrolling down through video listings.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017 22:08 by Return of Zorro.

Firefox 57 15 Nov 2017 16:27 #6

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Zorro wrote:
The problem is I found the last version of Firefox before 57 was becoming a bit unstable, If you install Firefox 57 then make sure you tick the option ".

57 got installed on my laptop (pc still on 56) so i had a look at the privacy and security section and there was no " ''Prevent accessibility services from accessing you browser" in the options menu, to block access from third parties viewing your browsing history"

There was a block tracking option - is that what you meant?

Truth is anti-semitic

Firefox 57 15 Nov 2017 16:57 #7

The setting is there in the options. Just go to ''Options'', then click the ''Privacy & security'' tab, the ''Prevent accessibility services from accessing you browser" option is about half way down under the ''permissions'' heading. .
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2017 16:59 by Return of Zorro.

Firefox 57 15 Nov 2017 18:23 #8

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
ill try again - btw do have the block tracking option i described?

Truth is anti-semitic

Firefox 57 15 Nov 2017 18:31 #9

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Thanks - done.

Truth is anti-semitic

Firefox 57 26 Nov 2017 19:56 #10

• miacat
  • Fresh Member
  • Rural Retreat
How do you revert to version 56??

Firefox 57 26 Nov 2017 20:00 #11

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Use Brave browser, thats the better way, just my humble op.

Sorry i cant help with FF, perhaps someone else will chime in, i havent used it in a while.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Firefox 57 27 Nov 2017 21:43 #12

miacat wrote:

Download version 56, install it, then turn off auto-updates.
Last Edit: 27 Nov 2017 21:51 by Return of Zorro.

Firefox 57 17 Dec 2017 19:20 #13

• Bluemoon
  • Fresh Member
miacat wrote:
why do you want to revert to an older version?? it is always best to be up-to-date. older version don't get support by many internet applications after a while. I didn't like Firefox 57 at the beginning either, but then just got used to it.
..but if it's true, you should believe it.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare