Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Picasso, Matisse, Monet paintings stolen from Dutch museum in daring heist

Picasso, Matisse, Monet paintings stolen from Dutch museum in daring heist 16 Oct 2012 15:29 #1

• novum
  • Commander Seclorum
AMS­TER­DAM — Seven paint­ings by artists includ­ing Pablo Picasso and Claude Monet were stolen from a museum in Rot­ter­dam in an early-​hours heist, Dutch police said Tues­day.

The theft at the Kun­sthal museum is one of the largest in years in the Nether­lands, and is a stun­ning blow for the pri­vate Tri­ton Foun­da­tion col­lec­tion, which was being exhib­ited pub­licly as a group for the first time.

The col­lec­tion was on dis­play as part of cel­e­bra­tions sur­round­ing Kunsthal’s 20th anniver­sary.

Police spokes­woman Willemieke Romijn said inves­ti­ga­tors were review­ing video­tapes of the theft, which took place around 3 a.m. local time, and call­ing for any wit­nesses to come for­ward. Police have yet to reveal how the heist took place.

The stolen works were Picasso’s 1971 “Har­le­quin Head”; Monet’s 1901 “Water­loo Bridge, Lon­don” and “Char­ing Cross Bridge, Lon­don”; Henri Matisse’s 1919 “Read­ing Girl in White and Yel­low”; Paul Gauguin’s 1898 “Girl in Front of Open Win­dow”; Meyer de Haan’s “Self-​Portrait,” around 1890, and Lucian Freud’s 2002 work “Woman with Eyes Closed.”

www.nypost.com/p/news/international/picasso_matisse_monets_stolen_from_niCxICqrOeZJAjPY6uXW8H
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Picasso, Matisse, Monet paintings stolen from Dutch museum in daring heist 18 Oct 2012 23:41 #2

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Ooooo, I LURVE things like this. :D Daring robberies of ultimately useless and over-priced articles stolen without anyone being threatened or hurt.

I have rather "suspect morals" : nick an old person's video player and I hope you hang!!! (Metaphorically speaking). But empty a bank's vault of its gold bullion WITHOUT threatening or harming anyone and I so hope you get off with it.... :emb:

These paintings will have been Stolen To Order, I'd think.
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2012 23:52 by cantata.

Picasso, Matisse, Monet paintings stolen from Dutch museum in daring heist 19 Oct 2012 00:50 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
Ooooo, I LURVE things like this. :D Daring robberies of ultimately useless and over-priced articles stolen without anyone being threatened or hurt.

I have rather "suspect morals" : nick an old person's video player and I hope you hang!!! (Metaphorically speaking). But empty a bank's vault of its gold bullion WITHOUT threatening or harming anyone and I so hope you get off with it.... :emb:

Couldn't agree more cantata ;)

These paintings will have been Stolen To Order, I'd think.

Yep. Some very rich private collector will have those paintings on his or her wall from now on. But they will re-surface eventually....probably not in our lifetime tho.
The pen is mightier than the sword
Last Edit: 19 Oct 2012 00:55 by diamondgeezer.
User(s) who Liked this post: MrsGood

Picasso, Matisse, Monet paintings stolen from Dutch museum in daring heist 04 Dec 2018 22:54 #4

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
Are the missing pieces found yet? :ponda:
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)
Moderators: novum, rodin