Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: protests in the news

protests in the news 09 Feb 2013 03:14 #1

• StarsChildren
National strike, protests and clashes as Tunisia mourns for assassinated opposition leader

A general strike, riots, tear gas and petrol bombs marred Belaid’s funeral, threatening the country with a new revolution. The army watched over tens of thousands people, as opposition leader Chokri Belaid was being laid to rest in Tunis.

Thousands mourners from all over Tunisia joined the funeral procession of secular opposition leader Belaid, who was well respected and very popular in the country, RT’s Maria Finoshina reported from the city of Tunis.

Finoshina, who was in the middle of the crowds of mourners, said many people openly accused the Islamist Ennahda party of Belaid’s death and chanted anti-government slogans.

“Down with the system, we can’t stand Ennahda anymore,” “Ghannouchi assassin,” “We are all Chokri Belaid,” the people chanted.
Belaid, who was shot dead on Wednesday, was an extremely vocal, very harsh critic of the government, particularly of the ruling Enhanda party, the Tunisian branch of Muslim Brotherhood.

The military provided security of the funeral ceremony, and army helicopters were watching over the Tunisian capital. While the police have lost people’s trust in recent clashes, the army still enjoys respect among Tunisians.

Both the police and the army in Tunis are still on alert on alert, expecting the peaceful procession to be followed by clashes.

rt.com/news/tunisia-belaid-funeral-protests-741/

Hundreds of protesters march in Spain against new wave of cuts

Demonstrators have taken to the streets in Spain for a third day to protests against a fresh wave of austerity cost cutting measures in education and health which will see free prescriptions axed and a hike in university fees.

Protests have taken place across Spain, as people voiced their anger about the harsh austerity measures gripping the country and a new round of cuts, which will effect education and health.

In Murcia, in the south of Spain, some 200 students staged a walk out to protest against a proposal to privatize sate education.

Some of the students held placards, which read, “You don’t let us work and you don’t let us study”.

Today’s protests come after thousands of students marched through Madrid the capital on Wednesday, and is part of a three day strike launched by students on Tuesday.

rt.com/news/protest-austerity-cuts-spain-653/
I don't like to think before I speak.
I like to be just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare