Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nice Story

Nice Story 15 Jun 2013 13:33 #1

• Ultimate Seeker ™
A single mother who has turned her 9p meals into a book deal has urged shoppers not to be put off value-brand food to make their money go further.

Jack Monroe, 25, has been documenting her attempts at feeding herself and her three-year-old son Jonny on £10 a week for the past year.

A 9p carrot, cumin and kidney bean burger, 30p chilli and 22p apricot curry are among the frugal and healthy recipes that have caught the attention of publisher Penguin, which has signed her up to produce a book packed with more than 100 ideas for making the most of a tight budget.

Ms Monroe, from Southend, was job-hunting and living on benefits when she started her blog following a councillor's attack on single mothers in her local paper, which appeared under the headline: 'Druggies, drunks and single mums are ruining our town'.

She began attending council meetings and writing about politics and budget meals on her A Girl Called Jack blog following encouragement from friends. She used a Nokia E72 phone to write and upload her posts as she does not own a computer.

Since then, she has appeared on the BBC Breakfast sofa to talk about her experience. A nutritionist on the show told her that the portion sizes were too small.

But Ms Monroe told MailOnline: 'I eat four times a day, have breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea and snacks.

'You could eat twice as much and still save lots of money.'

Ms Monroe shops from the value and reduced ranges at Sainsbury's, her nearest shop, and grows her own herbs to make the most of her £10, which is what she has left after paying bills and rent.

She sang the praises of value ranges, where kidney beans and chopped tomatoes are a quarter of the price of the branded equivalents, and said shoppers shouldn't be turned off by the 'unattractive' packaging of the bottom shelf products.

Local food banks also give out copies of her recipes to help others feeding themselves on very little.
Daily Heil :good:
...Molti nemici molto onore...
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Nice Story 15 Jun 2013 13:37 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Jack Monroe, 25, has been documenting her attempts at feeding herself and her three-year-old son Jonny on £10 a week for the past year.

Is little Jonny getting the full nutritional requirements that a three-year old child needs I wonder?
The pen is mightier than the sword

Nice Story 15 Jun 2013 13:40 #3

• Ultimate Seeker ™
I'm sure we'd have heard from Brian Gerrish that social services had taken him away if he wasn't ;)
...Molti nemici molto onore...

Nice Story 15 Jun 2013 14:29 #4

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I've been looking at her blog for a while now. It's worth a read.

There's stuff in it about how she got her housing benefit cut because the agency assumed she was now rich when she wasn't paid for telly and hasn't had any of the advance for her book yet.

agirlcalledjack.com/
No War But The Class War

Nice Story 15 Jun 2013 17:48 #5

• i-baster
  • Voluntarily Inactive
It is very interesting. It is so easy for poor people to be unhealthy when buying food on a budget. The dollar menu of a fast food restaurant being a good example. Unhealthy is cheap and in many ways healthy costs more time and more money which are often commodities in short supply to working poor. Growing what you can afford to is a good solution to stretch the food budget. There is much talk recently about freganism(think that's the name) which us dumpster diving essentially. I could not do it personally but one mans trash etc. When I worked at lidl the people stealing from the trash would not have been a problem if they didn't leave a mess and break the cage for the trash can. It is a complicated subject that many don't see the corporate side of. The thinking is that if a pack of 5 mars bars can not be sold ( for example a hungry lifter eats one) then it goes in trash. If they sell it cheaper or give it away then staff or customers will be encouraged to damage products for the discount.