Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should life mean life in prison?

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 21:19 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 21:44 #2

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Life should mean life in prison, especially in the case of pure evil murderers. Why should they hope for release? Why should they be put up for review? The fact is some of those horrible bastards have taken the lives of innocent people, so it's right that they should spend their lives behind bars. The families of their victims serve their own life sentence.
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2013 21:44 by irrepressible.

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 21:47 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I agree and I know some people might not like what I am going to say, but I think they should bring back hanging for heinous crimes where there is no doubt of guilt.

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 21:53 #4

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
pheony wrote:
I agree and I know some people might not like what I am going to say, but I think they should bring back hanging for heinous crimes where there is no doubt of guilt.

The trouble with that is, and I think we've talked about it before, is that there will usually always be doubt. Also handing the state power to execute people doesn't sit well with me at all, especially in these times we live in.
Where there is no doubt though, I tend to agree with you phe, if somebody murdered a loved one, I would probably want to see the bastard hang. They talk about forgiveness, that would take incredible strength to be able to do that, and I kind of admire people who can do it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to forgive.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 21:58 #5

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
As an example....Mark Bridger who murdered April Jones. I would volunteer to put the noose around his neck.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:00 #6

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
There's two kinds of people I would like to see locked up for the rest of their miserable days, rapists and murderers.... Funny thing in Finnish CRIMINAL justice system is that often a rapist gets easier sentence than a person who has killed somebody either as self defence, or when drunk + fighting etc.

It's upside down system, the crazies are running the asylum.

EDIT:
Oh yea, and another craziness, people get longer sentences for 'white collar' crimes, than from killing somebody... Fucked up system, steal a big stack of money, get 10 years, kill your friend, you get 6, from which you are locked up for 3.(first time + good behavior) I don't know the exact numbers, but that's the trend with it.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2013 22:03 by Hexhammer.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:01 #7

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
If I was a father, I'd probably just skip the noose and rip him apart with my bare hands. I think most fathers and mothers would.

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:03 #8

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
irrepressible wrote:
If I was a father, I'd probably just skip the noose and rip him apart with my bare hands. I think most fathers and mothers would.

You've got to get to them to be able to do that though. I would pay someone to kill them.
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2013 22:04 by pheony.

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:04 #9

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Oh sorry, I didn't check out the link in the OP. :emb:
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:15 #10

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Hexhammer wrote:
Oh sorry, I didn't check out the link in the OP. :emb:

:D

Just the EU meddling again.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:43 #11

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
How convenient, just earlier today I thought about makiing an anti-EU T-shirt, blue shirt with the stars, then a swastika in the center and universal no over it.
-Agent Fox Mulder

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:50 #12

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Hexhammer wrote:
How convenient, just earlier today I thought about makiing an anti-EU T-shirt, blue shirt with the stars, then a swastika in the center and universal no over it.

Good idea...you should do it. :D
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Should life mean life in prison? 09 Jul 2013 22:51 #13

• username
I don't think life should mean life in all cases. In some cases there's still some pretty big mitigating factors even if the homicide was still murder and not manslaughter.

I still think that we need a justice system that is focussed on rehabilitation otherwise what's the point? If we don't focus on rehabilitation then we might as well bring back the death penalty for murder. However I'll never agree with the death penalty for murder for 2 reasons; the justice system is fallible and if you have laws to protect the sanctity of life you can't go legally taking it no matter how provoked.

Even though the UK could do a lot better regarding rehabilitation of prisoners it isn't as bad as some systems and the whole life tarriff isn't used lightly. I may be wrong but doesn't a judge start from a point of 25 years minimum sentence for murder and then decrease or increase depending on circumstances? So a whole life tariff is a statement on the severity of the crime and the guilty person is most likely beyond rehabilitation. Plus if they're ever released someone else would probably get done for murder!

edit: it's 49 isn't it on whole life? I wouldn't call that a justice system geared towards inhumane treatment relative to some places in the world so yeah, butt out EU
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2013 22:54 by username.
User(s) who Liked this post: Ultimate Seeker ™

Should life mean life in prison? 12 Jul 2013 13:22 #14

• Rural_Oral
  • Fresh Member
pheony wrote:
irrepressible wrote:

You've got to get to them to be able to do that though. I would pay someone to kill them.
That wouldn't be wise, Taking revenge will only get you a jail sentence and then you will be suffering twice over.
" Vietnam was the first war ever fought without any censorship. Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind "

General William Westmoreland Time magazine, Apr. 5, 1982

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bullock

Should life mean life in prison? 12 Jul 2013 13:27 #15

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Rural_Oral wrote:
pheony wrote:
irrepressible wrote:

That wouldn't be wise, Taking revenge will only get you a jail sentence and then you will be suffering twice over.

:emb: ...you're right of course.
User(s) who Liked this post: Rural_Oral

Should life mean life in prison? 12 Jul 2013 13:52 #16

• Rural_Oral
  • Fresh Member
Personally I have participated in some pretty despicable situations seeking revenge and the whole thing disgusts me to this day.It can never be justified IMO and it suggests weakness. The majority of families who have had a loved one murdered don't seek revenge Although I'm sure that is their first instinct. They tend to gain some hidden mental strength that can give them some peace to cope with their loss I salute these people.
" Vietnam was the first war ever fought without any censorship. Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind "

General William Westmoreland Time magazine, Apr. 5, 1982

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bullock
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, pheony

Should life mean life in prison? 12 Jul 2013 15:03 #17

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Why is Ian Brady still alive? Why don't they just let the horrible twat die like he wants to do, instead of force-feeding him through a tube (& also letting him have his say in court like he recently has)

That made me sick, the media reporting all his 'philosophising justification' for what he did in court recently, whilst trying to get himself transferred back to normal prison instead of Broadmoor. :mad:

There is no doubt regarding guilt in his case. Let him die, do us all a favour & save the taxpayer.
The pen is mightier than the sword