Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The 'toxic monster' is coming!

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 05 Nov 2013 20:48 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The 'toxic monster' is coming! Texas-sized floating island containing one million tonnes of junk from Japan tsunami drifting towards US
The most concentrated stretch of rubbish- dubbed the 'toxic monster' - is currently sitting between Hawaii and California

An enormous floating island of debris from Japan’s 2011 tsunami is drifting towards the coast of America, bringing with it over one million tonnes of junk that would cover an area the size of Texas.

The most concentrated stretch – dubbed the “toxic monster” by Fox News - is currently around 1,700 miles off the coast, sitting between Hawaii and California, but several million tonnes of additional debris remains scattered across the Pacific.

If the rubbish were to continue to fuse, the combined area of the floating junkyard would be greater than that of the United States, and could theoretically weigh up to five million tonnes.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-toxic-monster-is-coming-texassized-floating-island-containing-one-million-tonnes-of-junk-from-japan-tsun...ards-us-8922358.html
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 06 Nov 2013 16:53 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten

Well worth the watch.
The pen is mightier than the sword
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2013 17:20 by diamondgeezer.

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 06 Nov 2013 22:14 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The issues covered in the above vids aren't directly related to the story in the OP by the way.

Filmed back in 2007 I think, it more concerns the general damage that our use of plastics are doing to us & the environment.

I found it disturbing. Vid 3 especially. What are we doing to ourselves. :(
The pen is mightier than the sword

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 06 Nov 2013 22:18 #4

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
What are we doing to ourselves. :(

Not caring.

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 06 Nov 2013 23:15 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Ideally we would be able to refill containers with consumables, food and other things, at a place of purchase, it just seems like madness to make all these plastic containers so they can be used once and thrown away. But i know this kind of thing is seen by many as something hippys do or not viable etc etc.

There are some moves to improving the situation, satchels and so on to refill containers, ive seen it with food, detergents and so on. Bag in Box (BIB) is another improvement perhaps over rigid plastic containers.

It is madness though when you think about it yeah. I still remember the milk man delivering glass bottles, and you leave the old ones out, they take them and wash them, reuse them. wasnt that long ago really.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

The 'toxic monster' is coming! 06 Nov 2013 23:41 #6

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Take supermarkets.....they sell eco friendly bags, but hardly anyone uses them, still preferring to use plastic ones. I am guilty of this myself.... because I always forget to take the eco friendly ones with me. :emb:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare