Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: One in five people with HIV don't know they have it

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 22 Nov 2013 16:27 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
One in five of people with HIV in the UK don't realise they have the potentially deadly virus, acording to new figures.

Public Health England (PHE) says of the 98,400 people with HIV, there are 21,900 who are unaware of it.

The human immunodeficiendy virus is most commonly caught by having unprotected sex, and can also be passed by sharing infected needles. Its final stage is AIDS, but according to the NHS most people with HIV do not reach that stage.

The newly released numbers are for 2012, and show a slight decrease on the previous year. They also reveal that HIV diagnoses among men having gay sex reached an all-time high, with 3,250 cases in 2012.

Some 47 per cent of the 6,360 people newly-diagnosed with HIV in 2012 were diagnosed at a late stage while the overall number of new cases was up 1 per cent on the previous year.

And 45 per cent of new HIV cases were among heterosexuals, accounting for 2,880 cases.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/one-in-five-people-with-hiv-dont-know-they-have-it-8957068.html
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 22 Nov 2013 20:37 #2

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Well (ignorant question) but if the one in five don't know they've got it.... how do the Public Health know? And shouldn't they tell the person?

:conf:
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 22 Nov 2013 21:39 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Back in 1987 I went to the docs for hydrocortisone cream to treat a rash (wasn't available over the counter as it is now), and during the consultation he asked me about sex....if I'd had unprotected sex with anyone recently. I told him yes.

Anyway, he then gave me a script for the cream and took a blood sample for 'further tests' and told me to come into reception in 2 weeks for the 'results'.

When I did, the receptionist had a look at my file or whatever and said ''It's ok, you are not HIV positive''. I was truly gobsmacked....couldn't believe it that they had tested me for that without telling me. No doubt that is still on my medical records.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 22 Nov 2013 22:59 #4

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I think you'll find it's routine in hospitals nowadays to be tested for HIV...whether you are admitted or having tests as an out patient, you will be asked to have an HIV test.

When I had lots of tests and was seen by different departments in a hospital a few years ago, I had 4 tests in total. Each one was negative.

Other people will also have the same HIV test/s and be positive.....until that test they wouldn't have known.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 23:52 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Hexhammer, cantata

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 23 Nov 2013 10:25 #5

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
You know what guys, I'm on the fence about the whole HIV thing... I'm not so sure if its HIV which causes AIDS, it could be the medication / treatment.

Hospitals are VERY eager to test for HIV these days, they've tested me for HIV for, I think maybe three times or something? And twice they did not ask about it, once I was suspecting that I might had caught somehting, I went for tests and told them to test for everything, the nurse asked, "should we test for HIV also?" I said go ahead..

Anyway, they seem to often test for various kind of stuff without asking first or explaining what for they do that. Which sucks, I would really like to know in advance what tests they do and for what reason.

I think those numbers in OP are just an assumption... Based on what, would be nice to know.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 23 Nov 2013 13:07 #6

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Here is some more info, Hex.

In 2011, an estimated 96,000 people were living with HIV in the UK. Of these, around a quarter were unaware of their HIV infection. -

www.nat.org.uk/HIV-Facts/Statistics/Latest-UK-statistics/People-with-HIV-in-UK.aspx

I know not everyone will agree, but I think testing for it is a good thing. People should be asked for their consent though.
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2013 13:15 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Hexhammer

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 25 Nov 2013 23:45 #7

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Leave drug addiction treatment out of your austerity cuts, experts warn politicians

Drug experts and policy makers from around Europe gathered in Athens to urge governments to exclude drug-abuse treatment from austerity budget cuts, citing an alarming rise in HIV infections among drug users in Greece.

The number of reported new infections among drug users in Greece shot up from 22 in 2010 to 245 in 2011, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control — despite a general decline in the European Union. Experts blame the rise on a number of factors, several related to Greece's financial crisis.

The experts on Monday visited a newly opened supervised drug injection site set up in central Athens. The declaration to European governments was to be formally made Tuesday.

"There are alarming figures (in Greece). So I think it's very important that vulnerable people are targeted for treatment," said Thomas Kattau, top official for drug programs at the Strasbourg, France-based Council of Europe.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/leave-drug-addiction-treatment-out-of-your-austerity-cuts-experts-warn-politicians-8963151.html
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 26 Nov 2013 07:29 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I've said this before and I'll say it again....the answer is to completely de-criminalise opiates.

How much would it cost to provide free medically pure heroin and needles to addicts?

A lot less than the devastating social and personal costs which are the results of the drugs being illegal that's for sure.
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 26 Nov 2013 08:51 #9

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
It would also drop crime rates a LOT if addicts didn't have to resort on stealing to get their fix. In here anybody can get injection needles for free from any drugstore by the way. This goes partially off topic now, but didn't Portugal legalize all drugs recently?
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, pheony

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 26 Nov 2013 09:16 #10

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Hexhammer wrote:
It would also drop crime rates a LOT if addicts didn't have to resort on stealing to get their fix. In here anybody can get injection needles for free from any drugstore by the way. This goes partially off topic now, but didn't Portugal legalize all drugs recently?

Drug Decriminalization in Portugal:
Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies

www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/drug-decriminalization-portugal-lessons-creating-fair-successful-drug-policies

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal
Last Edit: 26 Nov 2013 09:17 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

One in five people with HIV don't know they have it 26 Nov 2013 10:46 #11

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
From phe's link above...
Because more than seven years have now elapsed since enactment of Portugal’s decriminalization system, there are ample data enabling its effects to be assessed.

Notably, decriminalization has become increasingly popular in Portugal since 2001. Except for some far-right politicians, very few domestic political factions are agitating for a repeal of the 2001 law. And while there is a widespread perception that bureaucratic changes need to be made to Portugal’s decriminalization framework to make it more efficient and effective, there is no real debate about whether drugs should once again be criminalized. More significantly, none of the nightmare scenarios touted by preenactment decriminalization opponents — from rampant increases in drug usage among the young to the transformation of Lisbon into a haven for “drug tourists” — has occurred.

So there you go. A positive result for Portugal and a lesson to be learned for other countries.