Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 00:21 #1

• Straight Shooter
Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage From Extreme Trauma

http://altering-perspectives.com/2013/08/new-study-magic-mushrooms-repair-brain.html

A new study by The University of South Florida has found that low doses of the active ingredient in magic mushrooms repairs brain damage caused by extreme trauma, offering renewed hope to millions of sufferers of PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

The study confirms previous research by Imperial College London, that psilocybin, a naturally occurring compound present in “shrooms”, stimulates new brain cell growth and erases frightening memories. Mice conditioned to fear electric shock when hearing a noise associated with the shock “simply lost their fear”, says Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos, who co-authored the study. A low dose of psilocybin led them to overcome “fear conditioning” and the freeze response associated with it faster than the group of mice on Ketanserin (a drug that counteracts the receptor that binds psilocybin in the brain) and a control group on saline.

An estimated 5 percent of Americans – more than 13 million people – have PTSD at any given time, according to the PTSD Alliance. The condition more often associated with combat veterans, is twice as likely to develop in women because they tend to experience interpersonal violence (such as domestic violence, rape and abuse) more often than men.

PTSD is not just psychological. Common symptoms, such as hyper-vigilance, memory fragmentation, flashbacks, dissociation, nightmares and fight or flight responses to ‘triggers’, are generally thought to be psychological and therefore treatable by learning to change thought processes. But new research suggests that they may in fact be the result of long term physiological mutations to the brain.

In the South Florida University study, the mice treated with low doses of psilocybin grew healthy new brain cells and their overactive medial prefrontal cortex regions (common in PTSD sufferers) were restored to normal functionality.

Further independent studies (http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com) have shown that the hippocampus part of the brain is damaged by extreme stress and that this is specific to PTSD and not associated with anxiety or panic disorders.

Dr. Sanchez-Ramos acknowledged that there was no way of knowing whether the mice in the experiment experienced altered states of consciousness or hallucinations – commonly experienced with magic mushrooms, but he believed the doses were too low to cause psychoactive effects.

Decriminalisation of psilocybin could help millions

Previous studies have shown that low doses of psilocybin produce no consciousness state altering effects. Administered in the correct amount, psilocybin could therefore be assumed to safely treat PTSD with minimal risk of adverse side effects. Magic mushrooms could help millions recover from the debilitating cycles of fight and flight and other conditioned biological responses caused by extreme trauma, if only they weren’t listed as a dangerous Schedule 1 drug with no medical benefits.

Meanwhile, doctors are authorised to dispense powerful, side-effect laden pharmaceutical drugs to army vets and others suffering from the symptoms of PTSD without any evidence that these treatments actually work, according to a major review by the committee of theInstitute of Medicine on the topic.

The situation is so bad that an average of 18 American veterans commits suicide every day (http://www.naturalnews.com), linked to the sharp rise in prescription drugs, depression, and other psychological conditions. Safe, natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals such as homeopathic and herbal remedies have been found to alleviate symptoms (http://www.naturalnews.com). Meditation has also been shown to reduce high activity levels in the amygdala (the brain’s emotional centre) experienced in PTSD sufferers as anxiety, stress and phobias.

Sources used in this article:

http://www.ptsdalliance.org

http://intellihub.com

http://digitaljournal.com

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com

About the author:

Anna Bragga is a freelance journalist and owner of public relations company, Conscience Communications

www.annabragga.com
www.consciencecommunications.co.uk

:jane:
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013 00:22 by ...........
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, diamondgeezer, irrepressible, cowboy, jaxdreaming

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 02:05 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Fascinating stuff, i will keep this in mind, and added to favourites... hadnt heard this info before. :up:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013 02:09 by novum.

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 02:15 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Very interesting post.

LSD has been claimed to possibly have similar beneficial effects psychologically, but that's questionable, because its been proven to cause the opposite of beneficial....negative effects, long-term.

That's a man-made chemical though, whereas psilocybin is natural.

I know people who have been badly damaged from taking acid, but no-one from taking shrooms.
The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, Hexhammer

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 18:44 #4

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
LSD has been claimed to possibly have similar beneficial effects psychologically, but that's questionable, because its been proven to cause the opposite of beneficial....negative effects, long-term.

Drug / Set / Setting. Very important.

Scientists who think they're clever behave like dumasses

It was reported yesterday that some scientists thought they were great because they announced they'd tortured some mice for no reason.
"We think nothing of torturing live animals in all kinds of retarded ways because we lack the reasoning power to see beyond the endless animal torturing we became thoroughly hardened to during our education" One scientists reported. "We're so fucking stupid we believe mice are just like people, being unable to understand the innumerable differences between a human being living in industrial societies and small furry mammals with a reputation for adoring cheese. In fact, it doesn't even occur to us to look at animals in their natural habit. We're so deluded we believe a person is the same as a mouse in a laboratory."

It was revealed that to better understand this strange phenomenon, these scientists would be forced into tie dyed t-shirts and taken to a field where they would be injected with psilocybin and subjected to a heady mix of 60s rock, space rock, acid house and psychedelic trance.
"We need to understand why these white coated goons behave in the manner they do" Said Freakout McRafferty, head of the Department of Square Studies at Stone Groove University, California. "When Rick Strassman wanted to understand the effects of DMT on human consciousness, did he inject some hamsters with it after torturing them for a while and try to infer how they were feeling? I don't think he did. We need to understand why it did not occur to these goons to consider just how many people have taken this physically harmless substance and might wish to talk about it and just how many people with actual human trauma might be up for giving it a go. It's not as if nobody has ever taken this shit before or ever performed human studies on its potential therapeutic effects. Maybe they just like torturing animals? That's what we need to find out."
After the scientists start to peak, they will be placed in front of a huge screen displaying continual images of mice being mercilessly tortured and asked how they feel about it. Then everybody will sit round a campfire and talk about some "really heavy shit".
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013 18:47 by Chuck Random.
User(s) who Liked this post: jaxdreaming

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 19:06 #5

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Meanwhile, doctors are authorised to dispense powerful, side-effect laden pharmaceutical drugs to army vets and others suffering from the symptoms of PTSD without any evidence that these treatments actually work, according to a major review by the committee of theInstitute of Medicine on the topic.

The situation is so bad that an average of 18 American veterans commits suicide every day (http://www.naturalnews.com), linked to the sharp rise in prescription drugs, depression, and other psychological conditions. Safe, natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals such as homeopathic and herbal remedies have been found to alleviate symptoms (http://www.naturalnews.com). Meditation has also been shown to reduce high activity levels in the amygdala (the brain’s emotional centre) experienced in PTSD sufferers as anxiety, stress and phobias.

Miracle Cure For PTSD In Veterans Discovered

Scientists today announced they had unexpectedly discovered a 100% effective cure for PTSD in combat veterans. "We've checked all the results several times. It may seem incredible, but no matter how many times we repeat the experiment we get the same result. It appears that what we need to do is stop sending people to fight in wars. We found that when soldiers weren't sent to fight people, non of them developed combat related PTSD."

However, scientists at Groom Lake laboratories expressed skepticism and urged caution. "We find the results of this study to be flawed. During our extensive research we discovered that war is exhilarating and makes a man out of you. Then our DVD player broke just as we were getting to that part in Independence Day where the White House gets destroyed." However, the Groom Lake scientists said they would nevertheless take the results into consideration and divert extra funds into making war "More like an X-Box game".

"If our boys feel like they just put 40 hours into COD while unleashing death from above, our research shows they're simply concerned with their player ranking. We're not sure about those other guys. We may get round to that after we've figured out how to insert authentic feeling end of level boss fights into real world conflict zones."
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013 19:08 by Chuck Random.

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 21:09 #6

• novum
  • Platinum Member
:hahano:

:wissl:
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 19 Dec 2013 21:48 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Does MDMA Have Therapeutic Uses? Probably.

healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/MDMA_therapy.htm
What is MDMA?

MDMA is an abbreviation for 3, 4-Methelenedioxymethamphetamine. It has been researched for almost a century under a variety of contexts. This drug was first synthesized and patented in the early 1910’s by Merck, a company in Germany, as a potential appetite suppressant. The U.S. Government studied it for a short period of time in the 1950’s in connection with the chemical warfare investigations of the Army and the CIA. Its therapeutic uses began in the 1970’s by a small group of psychiatrists and therapists who believed in the effectiveness of psychedelic psychotherapy. MDMA was designated a Schedule 1 drug in 1985, which means that it is considered one of the most dangerous drugs and has no known medical purposes. It “is illegal to manufacture, possess, or sell in the United States. Most other countries have similar laws” (members.dencity.com/warmth/x_01.htm). It has become a popular recreational drug, more commonly known as ecstasy, as of the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

Many psychiatrists and therapists believe that clinical use of MDMA would be extremely beneficial in enhancing communication between people. They also believe that it would be useful in the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as well as anxiety, depression, and pain in cancer patients despite the possible side effects.
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013 21:51 by diamondgeezer.

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 20 Dec 2013 00:20 #8

• Straight Shooter
One day i'm just going to say fuck it and start doing Mushroom's...

I refuse to do any drugs outside of smoking weed when i'm stressed and opiate's when i'm in pain.

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 20 Dec 2013 08:27 #9

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/new-science-lsd-therapy
Despite its current reputation, LSD wasn't just for the Beatles and California hippies, it was seen as "an invaluable weapon to psychiatrists," as Time magazine called it in 1955. Research varied widely in legitimacy, but LSD was tested on an estimated 40,000 people around the world between 1950 and 1963.

The CIA saw insidious potential in LSD: They thought it could be a route to mind control.
In 1953, a pair of Canadian researchers tried to use high doses of LSD to scare alcoholics into sobriety, but discovered it instead produced a kind of mystical, near-religious experience for them that convinced them to stop drinking. They were onto something: A 2012 meta-analysis of LSD-alcoholism trials found though many of the trials from the late 1960s were too small to produce statistically-viable results on their own, in conjunction, they showed consistent, positive results.

At the same time, the government was also dipping its toes in an acid-filled pool. The CIA saw a more insidious potential in LSD: They thought it could be a truth serum or a route to mind control. Josef Mengele and other Nazi doctors had experimented on concentration camp prisoners with mescaline and other psychotropic drugs.In the midst of Cold War paranoia, the U.S. Navy thought mescaline could be used to get people to reveal information against their will. When the experiments ultimately proved unsuccessful, the government turned to Albert Hofmann's new wonder drug, already beginning to emerge as a psychiatric juggernaut.

It looks like psychedelics are here again... lots of news around about their therapeutic use... trials are starting to be 'allowed' :roll:... the use of Ayahuascha is becoming increasingly popular ( you can find retreats in the UK if you have the money) street drugs are now mostly... weed/mdma/ecstacy/LSD... even DMT... drug education in our schools and colleges in the UK is woeful... they're still going on about heroin and crack cocaine which many of today's teens are scornful of...
They want colour and novelty having been raised on cartoons... films... the internet.... a lot of teens are also very cynical about life and don't know what the future holds so are just going for the moment... I remember that feeling :chuckle:

However it is about set and setting with these drugs... for many people, a high dose of mushrooms or LSD, in an unsupported setting can be very frightening... my daughter is talking about trying them and I can't stop her but we do talk about their effects... set and setting... possible after effects... etc. etc. although today's psychonauts are probably better prepared than I was in 1970...

I've been considering getting a drug education presentation together for colleges... I know somebody who did it a few years ago when heroin/crack/skunk were the demon drugs... I've worked in the drug field and education around the effects of drugs is terrible... the UK's 'just say no' campaign was a big joke... people take drugs to escape the feeling they have... to get a new better feeling... to see the world in a more exciting way... to gain personal insights... people should be told the truth about what these substances are and what they do... I hate all this control... alcohol is a drug that causes tremendous problems... physically, mentally, emotionally... spiritually... yet continues to be promoted and pushed at the young... education around alcohol use is pathetic as well... the thing is you can't make money out of psychedelics... they can be extracted from a wide range of plants that grow for free...
I took LSD a few times in the 70's and mushrooms once in the late 80's... of course it wasn't for 'therapeutic' reasons as I was ignorant back then and it was all about the effect but you do become very introspective and can become overwhelmed by feelings and insights... afterwards you feel absolutely amazing for a few days... well I did :)
I would take mushrooms again but not the silly amount I took before... although Terence Mckenna says that the 'heroic dose' is the only way to do them... I would rather use them in a low dose therapeutically... I have some PTSD (long story) and believe they would help...
I have some mdma but have been putting off taking it until set and setting is right... I tend to stick to weed... I find it takes the rough edges off and helps me put things in perspective... I also get good visuals... I think that might be a legacy from my acid days as I know not everybody gets them (unless my pineal opening work earlier in the year has paid off :D )

edit to say... I predict a 2014 'summer of love' all psychedelic colours...beads and a return to experimental music...
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013 08:32 by jaxdreaming.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, diamondgeezer, jonb

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 20 Dec 2013 09:26 #10

• jonb
My drugs of preference are coffee cigarettes and alcohol, but part of being human is recognising that we all have different metabolisms, my drugs will harm another person far more than they harm me. As people with varying systems we have to accept there is no one shoe fits all. However it seems to me this test shows what magic mushrooms do is open up new paths in the brain, which although over the thousands of years of use has been expressed in many different ways is actually exactly what it says on the tin.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 02 Jan 2014 09:15 #11

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
diamondgeezer wrote:
Does MDMA Have Therapeutic Uses? Probably.

healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/MDMA_therapy.htm
What is MDMA?

MDMA is an abbreviation for 3, 4-Methelenedioxymethamphetamine. It has been researched for almost a century under a variety of contexts. This drug was first synthesized and patented in the early 1910’s by Merck, a company in Germany, as a potential appetite suppressant. The U.S. Government studied it for a short period of time in the 1950’s in connection with the chemical warfare investigations of the Army and the CIA. Its therapeutic uses began in the 1970’s by a small group of psychiatrists and therapists who believed in the effectiveness of psychedelic psychotherapy. MDMA was designated a Schedule 1 drug in 1985, which means that it is considered one of the most dangerous drugs and has no known medical purposes. It “is illegal to manufacture, possess, or sell in the United States. Most other countries have similar laws” (members.dencity.com/warmth/x_01.htm). It has become a popular recreational drug, more commonly known as ecstasy, as of the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

Many psychiatrists and therapists believe that clinical use of MDMA would be extremely beneficial in enhancing communication between people. They also believe that it would be useful in the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as well as anxiety, depression, and pain in cancer patients despite the possible side effects.

I was invited around to my friends house for New Years Eve... for a dinner and :spliff: and to watch the fireworks...
I had some mdma (never tried it before) that I brought earlier this year but was too nervous to take. I'd spent some time researching it and its effects and side effects and the mood was mellow at my friends so after our dinner (3 courses and her ex is French so it was delicious) set and setting were good so we took the mdma.
We took the first lot at 11 pm... so we could watch the fireworks on it. It was a white crystalline powder and we broke it down into 3 lots each for the night and as I hadn't taken it before I first took a small amount just to see how it would affect me. I felt the physical effects after about 15 mins and colours and music were enhanced... the fireworks were great (although completely and unneccesarily ott) and at about 1pm we took a second lot.
Bloody hell... I went to the loo and felt myself starting to smile... my smile turned into this huge grin and I couldn't stop grinning and talking for the next 2 hours...
We talked about all sorts of things and went to a lot of places... my thinking became wonderfully clear and I was accessing memories and they appeared complete... I was able to talk about subjects that upset me usually with complete clarity and insight and they were doing the same...when I think about these same things now... after the event... they feel 'dealt with'... a whole swathe of things connected to a time I never talk about came out and just seemed to sort themselves out as I was talking about them...
I wasn't getting overheated although my friend was having extremes of temperature and was dressing and undressing all night... I didn't feel particularly different just this clear and precise thinking and this huge euphoria... it was impossible though to do some things... like I wanted to show my friends some photos on face book and it took me ages to get it together... I kept getting mentally distracted and when I got to facebook I sort of forgot how to use it... I kept forgetting to drink my water and it took me an hour to roll a spliff :D
We took the last lot at about 3 15... at first I thought I'd overdone it as I got panicked and dizzy for a little while but it soon passed. With this third lot I got the most unbelievable visual colours...and everthing was enhanced... eyes, eyelashes on faces... the cats fur... the carpet... it was great :D

I'd already been getting colours... the whole of my friends house became diffused with pink and purple quite early on... but now they really took off... my friends face... at one point... took on a flat one dimensional look and was lime green with pink and purple markings... like a reverse colour negative... her ex's was the same in orange yellow and red... I am going to paint her as I saw her... it was almost mask like in its effect... the room went purple and pink and music was bouncing off the walls... I didn't want to talk so much now and got into the music and my visuals... there was writing on the walls and the carpet as well... like symbols... neither of them got visuals at all..
I came home about 8 in the morning... everything still pink and purple... and spent the day on the couch watching films and sipping tea... still buzzing a bit in the evening but today feel good although I'm told I might feel a bit rough in a couple of days...
I don't know if I would take it again as I don't like the chemical feel of the drug and I had a lot of eye shake... which is very weird... your eyes 'wobble' :conf: and would rather stick to plants but it was very trippy... for me it was like good clean speed with a happy feeling, clear thinking and visuals...
My friends ages are 43, 46 and I'm 59 so it was a great night... no dancing lol but I've tried it now after about 20 years of thinking about giving it a go :D
I think if my friends ex hadn't have been there my friend and I would have gone a lot deeper... he is a silent type and said little all night... I could sense 'stuff' between them. I think this is why I talked so much after the second bomb as he was just staring at her as if he wanted to whisk her off to the bedroom (which I think he did after I fucked off lol) She did look preternaturally beautiful though...
Back to earth now ...
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 02 Jan 2014 10:14 #12

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Good to hear you had such a positive experience with the MDMA jaxdreaming. :)

I've had very positive experiences with it also, and compared to some of the other things I've done....well I believe its done me very little harm.

This documentary is a must-watch. ;)

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 03 Jan 2014 08:56 #13

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
Thanks DG... it's good to know there's others here that have tried this drug... I haven't tried anything, other than weed, for over 20 years as I had developed a no go mindset on drug use after years in AA... it took me a few years to shift that thinking....
I was busy yesterday so will watch the video later... I went around to see my friend and her ex for a cup of tea yesterday and we talked about what happened... they just took the piss out of my huge smile... which I can't seem to do now... although I was right in picking up stuff from the ex... apparently he fell in Love again :)
Looking back on the night... it was a very intense experience... can't believe I did it now... I was still a bit fizzy in the head yesterday but did a bit of painting and have a lot of ideas of what to do next with my art... I admit I was hoping to get visuals and was delighted when it happened :D
Before we took it I asked my friends ex... who is one of those people who have taken a lot of psychedelics... if he had visuals with weed and he told me he doesn't get visuals (colours) much with any drug... even LSD. :O I thought everybody got them...

I'm now really interested in some of the effects of mdma... for example... while I was researching it I read some posts on blogs about how mdma can improve your voice... we actually had a go at this :) My mate was doing a bit of pretend djing... before the fireworks... and put Wonderwall on... we'd taken our first lot of mdma and sang along... my friend, who usually sings completely out of key lol was in tune and I found I could sing with ease... it was lovely... the song just flowed.... we sort of looked at each other and laughed... we were good!!!!!!
We talked some then about how singers might be using it to enhance their stage performance... you don't need a large dose... and I was still completely functional then... I did some washing up at that point too. Later on there were big time warps... I'm pretty sure I didn't talk all night :couch: but it was 9 hours in total... time seemed to fly although there was one point where it seemed to slow down... altered perceptions I guess...
Also reading how it can be used for problem solving etc.in small doses...
It's similar to how Terence Mckenna talks of how the use of pscilocybin, in small doses, gave visual and aural acuity to our ancestors... giving them the edge in hunting etc. over their competitors... in larger doses it made them social and sexy and in huge doses it gave them religion... a nice theory that's if you're not into Alien intervention theory that is... I'm a bit like TK in seeing psychedelics as the final frontier though...

If somebody is considering using psychedelics then mdma is a good start I think... true psychedelics... like LSD and mushrooms... are a longer haul don't have the serotonin/dopamine hit and can be very frightening for the completely uninitiated... still not sure if I'm ready to do them again... :emb: :) The ultimate step would be DMT but :umm: bit leery of it tbh
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, ..........

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 05 Feb 2014 06:22 #14

• Straight Shooter
jax i missed your post before so i had to bump this.

Magic Mushrooms Repair Brain Damage from Extreme Trauma 05 Feb 2014 10:07 #15

• SilvaRizla
  • Fresh Member
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Shrooms were a treatment for 'mental illness' in hospitals for hundreds of years. It did the trick then, and it still does today.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare