Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 20:08 #1

Contact lenses that allow the wearer to see high-definition virtual screens are to be unveiled in Las Vegas next week.

Dubbed iOptik, the system allows the users to see projected digital information, such as driving directions and video calls. The tiny 'screens', which are the invention of Washington-based group Innovega, sit directly on a users' eyeballs and work with a pair of lightweight glasses.

Together, they provide an experience equivalent to watching a 240-inch television at a distance of 10 feet, according to Innovega's chief executive Steve Willey.

The glasses are fitted with micro-projectors and nothing else. The contact lenses, however, are more complicated devices. They can be worn on their own and only function with the iOptik software when a user looks through the company's paired glasses.

The system can work with smartphones and portable game devices to deliver video - or switch to a translucent 'augmented reality' view, where computer information is layered over the world we know it.

‘Whatever runs on your smartphone would run on your eyewear,’ Innovega chief Stephen Willey said in an interview with CNET. ‘At full HD. Whether it's a window or immersive.’
Crucially, the device can be worn while moving around in a similar way to Google Glass.
Innovega customised the standard contact lens manufacturing process with a unique filter to make the contact lenses.

'All the usual optics in the eyewear are taken away and there is a sub-millimeter lens right in the centre,' Mr Willey told CNET. 'The outside of the lens is shaped to your prescription if you need one and the very centre of the lens is a bump that allows you to see incredibly well half an inch from your eye.'

An optical filter also directs the light. 'Light coming from outside the world is shunted to your normal prescription. Light from that very near display goes through the center of the lens, the optical filter,' Mr Willey said

The contacts are due to be previewed at the Consumer Electronics Show and promise to provide a much more immersive experience than other head-work wearable devices.
The company unveiled a prototype of the technology at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show, but plans to show a more advanced, working version next week.

Innovega could also license the technology to other vendors, who may add elements such as audio, touch control, motion control, and other hardware seen in gadgets such as Google Glass.

Last year, South Korean scientists created soft contact lenses fitted with LEDs, bringing the possibility of transparent, flexible materials that can be programmed to take pictures a step closer to reality.

Unlike the iOptik, which requires glasses to work, these contact lenses can be used as standalone systems capable of performing tasks such as taking pictures.
Microsoft and the University of Washington have also been working on similar projects that seem more like a prop in movies such as Mission Impossible 4.

In 2012, they created a prototype of a hard augmented reality contact lens capable of receiving radio signals and transmitting them to the brain through optical nerves.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2533463/The-contact-lenses-away-TV-screens-System-projects-images-eyeball-unveiled-week.html#ixzz2q7e3h8yh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia, Mart

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 20:09 #2

They sound pretty cool but I don't know if I would want a pair until I knew they were safe and not going to damage my eyes.
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 20:22 #3

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
well the first thing to spring to mind is that people can't have wire going into their eyes so it must be a wifi signal right next to the brain
seems like a bad idea really
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia, Lauren Almighty

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 20:24 #4

• phemohilia
  • All Karma points of teh universe are belong to miacat!!
Whoa, no thanks. Technology is cool right up to the point until it isn't. It's bad enough we're swimming in wi-fi sitting in front of computers & cell phones 24/7. The LAST thing we need is something pumping out microwave radiation sitting right on our fucking eyeballs!! But I'm sure they'll lay out all kinds of reassurances about "product safety". Tested & Approved!!

*we really need that little jerk-off emoticon over here, make it happen DG* :cool:

EDIT: Marty beat me to it!!
"The plastic face forced to portray, all the insides left cold and gray...."
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2014 20:25 by phemohilia.
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart, Lauren Almighty

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 20:32 #5

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
phemohilia wrote:
Whoa, no thanks. Technology is cool right up to the point until it isn't. It's bad enough we're swimming in wi-fi sitting in front of computers & cell phones 24/7. The LAST thing we need is something pumping out microwave radiation sitting right on our fucking eyeballs!! But I'm sure they'll lay out all kinds of reassurances about "product safety". Tested & Approved!!

*we really need that little jerk-off emoticon over here, make it happen DG* :cool:

EDIT: Marty beat me to it!!

lol reminds me of the safety instructions on mobile phones, usually hidden in small print at the back of the booklet
"Keep 12 inches from the body at all times"

these would probably have the same nonsensical recommendation. :loco:
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 11 Jan 2014 21:56 #6

• phemohilia
  • All Karma points of teh universe are belong to miacat!!
Mart wrote:
lol reminds me of the safety instructions on mobile phones, usually hidden in small print at the back of the booklet
"Keep 12 inches from the body at all times"

these would probably have the same nonsensical recommendation. :loco:

Most people probably just think that's in there just as a legal thing to "cover their asses" but I'm pretty sure they mean it. But people write it off because it's in the small print. :(
"The plastic face forced to portray, all the insides left cold and gray...."
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 12 Jan 2014 00:31 #7

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
phemohilia wrote:
Most people probably just think that's in there just as a legal thing to "cover their asses" but I'm pretty sure they mean it. But people write it off because it's in the small print. :(
yep, I worry about these kids that walk around with them plastered to their heads all day.
There's an epidemic of brain tumors in the making.
User(s) who Liked this post: phemohilia, Lauren Almighty

Contact Lenses that Project Images on to the Eyeball 13 Jan 2014 16:04 #8

• cadenza
  • Fresh Member
The nasty villain in Sherlock wore those contacts last night. I will say no more, don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. :cool:
Be yourself, no matter what they say.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, cantata, Lauren Almighty
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare