Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 22 Dec 2019 22:43 #1

• Flare
Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia

See what happens when a formerly great red state turns very blue?

Virginia State Sen. Dick Saslaw (YouTube screenshot)

Next year, Democrats will control both houses of Virginia’s state Legislature as well as its governorship. On November 18, State Sen. Dick Saslaw introduced a bill that he will sponsor in the 2020 legislative session. That bill will outlaw not only the sale or transfer but also the possession of certain firearms.

Saslaw’s bill — SB 16 — provides that “It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or transport an assault firearm” and makes such actions a Class 6 felony. (In Virginia, Class 6 felonies are punishable by imprisonment for between one and five years.)

SB 16 provides that a wide range of center-fire rifles, pistols, and shotguns are included in the definition of to-be illegal firearms:

1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher; (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (xii);

3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

4. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock; (iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) the capacity to accept a magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (v) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the pistol with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (vi) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (vii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a barrel extender, or (d) a forward handgrip; or (viii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (vii);

5. A shotgun with a revolving cylinder that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material; or

6. A semi-automatic shotgun that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock, (ii) a thumbhole stock, (iii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the shotgun, (iv) the ability to accept a detachable magazine, (v) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds, or (vi) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (v).

Thus, every rifle of the common AR-15 design and a great many pistols and shotguns in common use for personal defense, target shooting, and hunting would be banned.

Not only would they be banned, but because SB 16 makes it illegal to possess such firearms, they also would have to be either surrendered to or seized by police authorities in the jurisdiction in which they are located.

In its 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller (more about this later), the Supreme Court decided that the right to keep and bear arms belongs to everyone.

The 27 words of the Second Amendment state: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

SB 16, if enacted, would go much further than any previous American gun control law by making possession of the covered firearms illegal, rendering them subject to seizure from their owners.

The first major U.S. gun control legislation was the National Firearms Act of 1934. Enacted as a result of the use of automatic weapons — principally the Thompson submachine gun — by outlaw gangs, the act made illegal the possession of machine guns and short-barreled shotguns unless the owner of one paid for and was issued a government tax stamp for it. The law’s constitutionality was affirmed by the Supreme Court as late as 1991.

Again, SB 16 makes possession of “assault weapons” illegal outright, with no means for law-abiding citizens to retain their possession of such weapons in their homes, businesses, or in sporting avocations of hunting or target shooting.

If SB 16 is enacted by the Democrat-dominated Legislature and signed by Virginia’s gun-control-minded Gov. Ralph Northam, its effect will be blocked for months or years by legal challenges to its perfectly clear unconstitutionality.

In determining the constitutionality of that law, the courts will have to consider a long line of gun control decisions of the Supreme Court.

D.C. v. Heller ruled (in a brilliant decision written by the late Justice Antonin Scalia) that the Second Amendment is a personal right that is not limited by the prefatory phrase about well-regulated militias. In the decision, Scalia referred to historical sources, such as 18th-century dictionaries, to prove that the definition of “arms” included not only weapons of war but also all firearms. Scalia’s decision states specifically that

Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications … and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search … the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.

The decision also states that

nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

Because of that language, courts have decided that restrictions, such as prohibitions of sale — not possession — of so-called “assault weapons” are constitutional. If SB 16 were limited in that manner, it might be constitutional. But it is not so limited.

Like all gun control laws, SB 16 will limit the rights of the law-abiding, not the criminal or terrorist. About 20 years ago, one of my best friends and I were trained in the tactical use of pistols and shotguns by former Navy SEALs at a place that was then called Blackwater Lodge. In an email to a Virginia state senator stating his vehement opposition to SB 16, my friend proved (redundantly) that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. In his case, more than a half hour away:

In the early morning hours of a spring Monday an intruder of unknown intent attempted to break into my home. It took local police 31 minutes from the first 9-1-1 call to “rally support” and arrive to arrest the would-be intruder. For these 31 long minutes I was the only defense for my family and home. These ban laws will only weaken the ability of Virginians like me to protect themselves when no one else can.

Fortunately for my friend and his family, that incident ended without bloodshed because he shouted a warning to the would-be assailant that he would shoot through the door and kill him.

Virginia cannot constitutionally take away its citizens’ individual rights to self-protection. If enacted, SB 16 would do just that. Other states will try to do the same to you.

spectator.org/gun-confiscation-comes-to-virginia/
Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019 22:44 by Flare.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy, peacenik

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 19 Jan 2020 20:54 #2

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
The Virginia Citizens Defense League will be holding the most important Lobby Day Rally that we have ever had on Monday January 20th, 2020!

www.vcdl.org/

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 19 Jan 2020 22:40 #3

• Frothy
  • Twilight Zoned
  • True life is elsewhere
I don't see why anyone needs to carry more than a half decent pistol, or needs keep more than a basic shotgun at home along with the pistol, for personal protection.
Jews LARPing as Nazis
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2020 22:43 by Frothy.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 19 Jan 2020 23:36 #4

• MrAnderson
  • Silver Member
Frothy wrote:
I don't see why anyone needs to carry more than a half decent pistol, or needs keep more than a basic shotgun at home along with the pistol, for personal protection.

I dont see why any north american should listen to the opinion of a disarmed Brit
User(s) who Liked this post: novum, miketx

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 01:04 #5

• Frothy
  • Twilight Zoned
  • True life is elsewhere
Jews LARPing as Nazis
Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020 01:05 by Frothy.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 01:08 #6

• peacenik
  • Immortal
This could be an ominous week for America?

Violence in Virginia, Trump could be impeached w/o evidence, and there is a US carrier group off the East coast that is jamming GPS signals. The jamming is said to reach all the way from Virginia, down to Cuba?

There is speculation, A large amount of UN troops and equipment are staged in Cuba, and the US has a treaty with the UN that allows the UN to invade America to quell domestic uprising?
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 01:41 #7

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
I don't know about that....seems far fetched that UN forces would be brought in to quell a domestic uprising, seems that would be counter intuitive and set off a fire storm.

There have been rumors of a possible false flag happening in Virginia to frame gun owners to look like (domestic) terrorists so they can declare a state of emergency and.......oh wait.....they already have.....declared a state of emergency... for tomorrow....Executive Order Number 49 - Declaration of a State of Emergency Due to POTENTIAL civilian unrest at the Virginia State Capital.

Read full executive order here: www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-49-Declaration-of-a-State-Of-Emergency-Due-to-Potential-Civil-Unrest-at-the-V...ia-State-Capitol.pdf

But as I was saying, they may initiate a false flag in order to declare a state of emergency (already done before the rally has even started) in order to justify state wide declaration of martial law and forcible confiscation of all firearms/weapons.

Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020 01:54 by annabelle.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 01:54 #8

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Frankly I would love to have loads of guns (including full automatics) just to piss off people who oppose people having guns. I guess I should grow up LOL.

Truth is anti-semitic

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 02:04 #9

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
There are also rumors that Antifa operatives are already in place to attend the events, spruced up as Trump supporters/right-wingers/white supremacists and set to enact violence before the cameras.

I guess we will see.

Excerpt from State of Emergency - Executive Order 49

Credible intelligence gathered by Virginia’s law enforcement agencies indicates that tens of thousands of advocates plan to converge on Capitol Square for events culminating on January 20, 2020. Available information suggests that a substantial number of these demonstrators are expected to come from outside the Commonwealth, may be armed, and have as their purpose not peaceful assembly but violence, rioting, and insurrection. Assuring that Virginia’s Capitol Square and surrounding public areas are sheltered safe places for those who come to participate in the democratic process, as well as those who work on or near Capitol Square, is my greatest priority.

In order to marshal all public resources and appropriate preparedness, response, and recovery measures, I order the following actions:

A. Activation of the Virginia Emergency Operations Center and the Virginia Emergency Support Team, as directed by the State Coordinator of Emergency Management, to coordinate the provision of assistance to state and local governments and to facilitate emergency services assignments to other agencies.

B. Authorization for the heads of executive branch agencies, on behalf of their regulatory boards as appropriate, and with the concurrence of their Cabinet Secretary, to waive any state requirement or regulation, and enter into contractswithout regard to normal procedures or formalities, and without regard to application or permit fees or royalties. All waivers issued by agencies shall be posted on their websites.

(....)

This Executive Order shall be effective from 5:00 p.m., Friday, January 17, until 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 21, 2020. Capitol Square will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on the above days. Nothing in this Order rescinds or amends Executive Order 50 (McAuliffe), which remains in full force and effect.

Given under my hand and under the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia, this 15th day of January, 2020.

www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-49-Declaration-of-a-State-Of-Emergency-Due-to-Potential-Civil-Unrest-at-the-V...ia-State-Capitol.pdf

So the official 'State of Emergency' is in effect right now.
Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020 02:26 by annabelle.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 04:08 #10

• peacenik
  • Immortal
annabelle wrote:
I don't know about that....seems far fetched that UN forces would be brought in to quell a domestic uprising, seems that would be counter intuitive and set off a fire storm.
]

Unless you expect globalism to leave us alone, and American militia to roll over and give in to globalist demands, you're going to have to get used to the idea, UN troops will at some point be on American soil.

There will come a time when using UN troops will no longer be, 'counter intuitive' but an absolutely necessary if globalism is to survive.
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu
User(s) who Liked this post: Voltaire

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 06:08 #11

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
That may be true, I just don't see them calling the UN for possible riots/violence in Virginia as it would make more sense imo for them to call in American police/military/national guard forces as there are enough of them without calling in outside/international forces like the UN. During Katrina they called in Blackwater mercenaries who usually were employed in high conflict zones like the middle east, they were still American though, and surprised to find themselves there in the States, being mercenaries born and bred in America didn't stop them from answering the call though.

As for the future, anything could happen.
Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020 06:18 by annabelle.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 16:00 #12

• Vancity Eagle
the thread title is highly misleading.

There is no "gun confiscation" but of course the far right does nothing but traffic in hysteria, fear, and hyperbole

All that has happened is that the state is trying to pass laws to

1) Have background checks for guns sales - makes sense
2) Limit gun purchases to 1 gun per month - Oh no :facepalm:
3) have red flag laws where guns can be taken IF you are deemed a threat
4) ban on "assault weapons"

Now in reference to the "assault weapons" 2 things

a) just like the previous federal assault weapons ban passed by Clinton, the ban only prohibits the sale of the guns AFTER the law is passed and does not effect existing assault weapons in circulation. So there is no gun confiscation, they just dont sell them anymore.

b) the only problem I would personally have is that the definition of "assualt weapons" seems very generalizing and seems to even include some handguns which I find a bit strange. But frankly there is no need for people to have AR 15s. AR 15's are not used for defence or to defend your home, those are used to assault positions and cause mass casualties

the whole Gun issue is just another divisive issue used to further polarize the public and exacerbate the CULTURE WARS.

it is no different than the divisive issues of

abortion
immigration

divisive wedge issues that serve to divide the public and keep alive the political dialectic.

I also wonder why these gun nuts chose to protest on Martin Luther King JR day.

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 17:46 #13

• MrAnderson
  • Silver Member
Vancity Eagle wrote:
the thread title is highly misleading.

There is no "gun confiscation" but of course the far right does nothing but traffic in hysteria, fear, and hyperbole

All that has happened is that the state is trying to pass laws to

1) Have background checks for guns sales - makes sense
2) Limit gun purchases to 1 gun per month - Oh no :facepalm:
3) have red flag laws where guns can be taken IF you are deemed a threat
4) ban on "assault weapons"

Now in reference to the "assault weapons" 2 things

a) just like the previous federal assault weapons ban passed by Clinton, the ban only prohibits the sale of the guns AFTER the law is passed and does not effect existing assault weapons in circulation. So there is no gun confiscation, they just dont sell them anymore.

b) the only problem I would personally have is that the definition of "assualt weapons" seems very generalizing and seems to even include some handguns which I find a bit strange. But frankly there is no need for people to have AR 15s. AR 15's are not used for defence or to defend your home, those are used to assault positions and cause mass casualties

the whole Gun issue is just another divisive issue used to further polarize the public and exacerbate the CULTURE WARS.

it is no different than the divisive issues of

abortion
immigration

divisive wedge issues that serve to divide the public and keep alive the political dialectic.

I also wonder why these gun nuts chose to protest on Martin Luther King JR day.

This one post exposes.you for the.fucking charlatan.that.you are
User(s) who Liked this post: Voltaire, Flare

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 17:49 #14

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
the only problem I would personally have is that the definition of "assualt weapons" seems very generalizing and seems to even include some handguns which I find a bit strange. But frankly there is no need for people to have AR 15s. AR 15's are not used for defence or to defend your home, those are used to assault positions and cause mass casualties

Absolutely correct - when troops armed with AR 15s come under attack they drop the AR 15s as they are only meant to assault and resort to using other means of defense like sharp sticks. Never knew that dumbo.

Truth is anti-semitic

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 18:55 #15

• Flare
Vancity Eagle wrote:
the only problem I would personally have is that the definition of "assualt weapons" seems very generalizing and seems to even include some handguns which I find a bit strange. But frankly there is no need for people to have AR 15s. AR 15's are not used for defence or to defend your home, those are used to assault positions and cause mass casualties

So you suggest the people should only have the right to own peashooters?

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 18:56 #16

• Voltaire
  • Silver Member
Dont bother with this commie idiot.

Truth is anti-semitic
User(s) who Liked this post: Flare

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 20 Jan 2020 19:07 #17

• peacenik
  • Immortal
annabelle wrote:
That may be true, I just don't see them calling the UN for possible riots/violence in Virginia as it would make more sense imo for them to call in American police/military/national guard forces as there are enough of them without calling in outside/international forces like the UN. During Katrina they called in Blackwater mercenaries who usually were employed in high conflict zones like the middle east, they were still American though, and surprised to find themselves there in the States, being mercenaries born and bred in America didn't stop them from answering the call though.

As for the future, anything could happen.

Globalist aren't about to call American police/military/national guard forces. That would be counter productive, as they know a high percentage of the police/military/national guard forces take their oath of office seriously and would never turn against the American people. Hence, the entire reason for an international police force such as the UN, to bypass nationalistic law enforcement.
User(s) who Liked this post: MrAnderson

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 21 Jan 2020 04:35 #18

• Frothy
  • Twilight Zoned
  • True life is elsewhere
Voltaire wrote:
Dont bother with this commie idiot.

A declaration?
Jews LARPing as Nazis

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 21 Jan 2020 05:42 #19

• Frothy
  • Twilight Zoned
  • True life is elsewhere
Flare wrote:
Vancity Eagle wrote:

So you suggest the people should only have the right to own peashooters?

So you suggest the people should have the right to own nuclear weapons?
Jews LARPing as Nazis

Gun Confiscation Comes to Virginia 21 Jan 2020 11:08 #20

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
So it appears the rally went on and ended peacefully. So where were the 'substantial numbers of demonstrators whose purpose was believed to be to create violence, rioting and insurrection' which was the reason a state of emergency was declared.

Three people were arrested, one being Patrick Mathews, the Canadian army reservist who was fired and went missing back in August.
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare