Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia.

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:21 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Queensland's Granite Belt is experiencing a very unusual spring weather event with snow falling in the area.

A cold outbreak over eastern Australia has seen snow return to the Stanthorpe region.

Weather bureau spokesman Peter Otto says it is very unusual timing.

"Some sleet has been reported in November in the past, but this time of year it's really quite rare," he said.

Bob East from Eukey says it is chilly conditions for this time of year.

"It's about three degrees [Celsius] outside - it's just very unusual and I must admit it's quite beautiful," he said.

Ballandean resident Apolonia Behan agrees it is a beautiful sight.

"If you can imagine rain but falling down a lot slower and seeing white flakes," she said.

"When they drop to the ground it all melts because the ground is wet from rain and also it's too warm for the snow to stay as it is ... but it's like a lovely curtain."

www.weatherzone.com.au/news/snow-falls-in-spring-on-granite-belt/22651
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:26 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Snow causes havoc across eastern Australia

About 470 properties in the Blue Mountains will remain without electricity overnight after a day of wild winds, rain and snow.
At its height, snowfalls of 15 centimetres and wind damage cut roads and rail access to the upper Blue Mountains for more than six hours.
The Bureau of Meteorology says snow falls have occurred right along the Great Dividing Range and as far north as Queensland's Granite Belt.

With temperatures predicted to get down to 3 degrees Celsius overnight, the company has urged people in areas where the power is out to check on neighbours who live alone.

Blackheath resident Noelene Turner says she is staying in bed to keep warm.

"I've got a little gas stove, I've filled up a few thermoses and sent them to the older women and other women who live alone nearby so at least they can have a cup of tea. It really is quite a desperate situation," she said.

Two 18-year-old bushwalkers have been rescued from the Snowy Mountains after they set off an emergency beacon in Kosciuszko National Park on Friday morning.

Four year 10 students and two teachers from Trinity Christian School in Canberra were also rescued by the SouthCare helicopter.
They were snowed in while on a three-day hike for their Duke of Edinburgh Award in Namadgi National Park, south of Canberra.

The bureau says the unseasonal weather has been caused by a low-pressure system which is expected to move north throughout Friday.

www.weatherzone.com.au/news/snow-causes-havoc-across-eastern-australia/22643
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:27 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Snow causes livestock deaths

Unexpected spring snow has caused livestock losses in Bungendore, New South Wales just outside Canberra.

The most vulnerable animals bore the brunt of the cold weather, with veterinarian Michael McCormack saying the area has seen a significant loss of young lambs.

"Merino sheep are not very good mothers unfortunately," he said.
"If they're comfortable they don't necessarily take their babies to shelter.

"We've also had reports of adult sheep that have recently been shorn that have succumbed last night.
"They're just not used to the cold weather and that shock of having no wool and all of sudden being exposed."

www.weatherzone.com.au/news/snow-causes-livestock-deaths/22654

1365 = 1

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:29 #4

• MrsGood
  • Fresh Member
:pmsl: gotta a daughter who's just started uni and wants to do her final year in aussie so moving there permanently will be less hassle. Gotta tell her this cuz if it hadn't been for all the sun sea and surf on that programme bondi rescue she's never be going. Mind you seeing as this year the UK had 12 mths of sodding rain who can blame her.
Oh yeah snow in Aussie, serious, betta get the haarp monitor out or .... light a tyre bombfire :gleek:

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:35 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Not sure why people love the sun so much sometimes...plenty of people in oz hit 30 and their face/skin falls apart. :hahano:

But hey at least they were tanned right. :dunno:

If there was heatwaves here we would hear the words climate change and global warming associated to it im sure.

But with unseasonal cold nothing is said.

1365 = 1

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:46 #6

• MrsGood
  • Fresh Member
Too much of anything isn't great, too 1 dimensional, thats why i steer away from guru types, Laughing all the fecking time, smile all the time it's just as nuts as walking around with a coddy on 24/7. Mind you i was born a bit of a smiler my-self :D
People don't ask questions, cuz thats the way people are, we have so much potential due to the ability to think(mind you thinking is a curse at times, it's a needy sod) and not just react, but hey ho row row row your boat

Snow falls in spring on Granite Belt, Queensland Australia. 13 Oct 2012 09:51 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
MrsGood wrote:
but hey ho row row row your boat

"Life is but a dream"

1365 = 1

User(s) who Liked this post: MrsGood