Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 17 Nov 2013 04:23 #1

• novum
  • Platinum Member
More than a half-million bats were killed by flying into high-speed wind energy turbines last year, according to new research scheduled for publication next week in the journal BioScience.

Previous estimates had said that the clean-energy producing mechanisms were responsible from between 33,000 to 880,000, but a new analysis of dead bats found at wind turbine sites conducted by University of Colorado-Denver researchers places that figure at over 600,000.

In a statement, the university calls the discovery “a serious blow to creatures who pollinate crops and help control flying insects,” while study author Dr. Mark Hayes, a research associate in integrated biology, added that “the development and expansion of wind energy facilities is a key threat to bat populations in North America.”

“Dead bats are being found underneath wind turbines across North America. The estimate of bat fatalities is probably conservative,” Hayes added. He added that fatality rates were highest in turbines located near the Appalachian Mountains, including those in Buffalo, Tennessee and Mountaineer, West Virginia.

Bats are killed by flying into the turbines, which rotate at speeds reaching 179 mph and have blades that can be up to 130 feet long. Hayes believes that the estimates are likely conservative because he used minimum fatality estimates reported by wind facilities, and that the estimated deaths were only recorded during periods of migration.

Furthermore, little data was available for facilities located in the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevada region, the study author said. Haynes believes that the actual number of bat fatalities could top 900,000.

According to the university, there are 45 known bat species living in the contiguous US, and many of them are important for economic reasons. They help control mosquitoes and other flying insects, as well as pollinate commercial crops, flowers and other types of plans.

The hoary bat, the eastern bat and the silver-haired bat are the species most at risk, he said. However, there are ways that turbine operators could help limit the potential harm, he said. For instance, the turbines could be activated to spin at higher wind speeds during the times when bats tend not to fly.

“A lot of bats are killed because the turbines move at low wind speeds, which is when most bats fly around. In a recent study in Pennsylvania, researchers adjusted the operating speeds from 10 mph to 18 or 20 mph and decreased fatalities by 40 to 90 percent,” Hayes explained.

He also cautions that more bats will die in the future, when use of the clean energy technology becomes more widespread. However, Hayes is quick to point out that he is “not against wind energy. It’s clean, it reduces pollution and it creates jobs.” Despite the negatives, he believes that the bat-death issue is “a problem we can solve.”

Link: www.redorbit.com/news/science/1113005284/bat-deaths-due-to-wind-turbines-111613/
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, cantata

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 17 Nov 2013 23:07 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
A bit more on it here.....

Wind myths: Turbines kill birds and bats
The location and size of the turbine, or windfarm, is key

Studies (here, here and here) of windfarms built in California and Spain in the 1980s have shown an "excessive" number of fatalities among six raptor species, including eagles and vultures. The evidence suggests that poor planning and outmoded turbine design was largely responsible and the current thinking is that fewer, but much large turbines sited away from known migratory paths of birds can significantly decrease the risk of bird strikes.

Bats, despite their ability to use sonar to avoid moving objects, are susceptible to "'barotrauma", a sense of disorientation caused by the rapid change of air pressure created by a turbines rotating blade. An unexpectedly high number of bat fatalities have been recorded across the US and Europe over the past decade.

"A recent review of the problem put forward no less than 11 hypotheses as to what might be contributing to these [bat] fatalities," says the Centre of Sustainable Energy in Bristol in its publication Common Concerns About Wind Power. "Clearly, a great deal of research is still needed."

www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/27/wind-energy-myths-turbines-bats

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 18 Nov 2013 02:09 #3

• novum
  • Platinum Member
I dont get why solar isnt subsidised/sponsored/supported more.

Well actually maybe I do :hahano: .... wind turbines are big business.

Ive read articles by critics of wind power stating that by the time you factor in production costs and energy used to make, installation and maintenance, that turbines are hardly worth it. Im no expert though.

Solar just seems like the way to go rather than turbines. I remember a youtube video put up by someone in the USA who even hooked up the current generated by solar to an electrolysis device that got the hydrogen out of water, and they were storing it in secondhand gas tanks purchased from petrol stations. The hydrogen was then used to power electricity generators for winter and night time use.
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 02:54 #4

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
I think there have also been losses of Eagles in Scotland due to air compression caused by wind turbines. If that's the case you can bet there have been losses of Buzzards and Kites in Wales etc.

The problem with Solar is global dimming! The other issue with those sorts of power is the fact that you have to have a watt for watt backup of conventional power generation in reserve, in case the natural source can't meet the demand.

Nuclear power seems to be the only realistic option and it has a bad press...for a reason?

Watch the full Doco here > and click on the free option. If the link breaks check here Windfall Doco.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013 03:11 by Frog.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 03:00 #5

• novum
  • Platinum Member
Yes I agree solar wont be able to supply all or the majority of mains power in the forseeable future.. what i was thinking is that it can assist... every little bit helps.

Though there have been advances in storing excess/reserve energy from the daytime for use when the resource isnt there, with solar.

No global dimming out here either :hahano: :lumi:

1365 = 1

Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013 03:04 by novum.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 03:30 #6

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
novum wrote:
Yes I agree solar wont be able to supply all or the majority of mains power in the forseeable future.. what i was thinking is that it can assist... every little bit helps.

Though there have been advances in storing excess/reserve energy from the daytime for use when the resource isnt there, with solar.

No global dimming out here either :hahano: :lumi:

I think you would be surprised about the effects of global dimming and I'm pretty sure Aus has suffered the effects of it.

Have you watched the Glen Winsor talk on Nuclear power? He was involved with the industry in its infancy and dispels lots of the myths/accepted common knowledge on the dangers of the technology and the waste. Well worth a viewing although he isn't a particularly entertaining speaker.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013 03:31 by Frog.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 03:41 #7

• novum
  • Platinum Member
No I havent, but lets say he was right for arguments sake... many have been convinced otherwise about the dangers.

Fukushima hasnt helped, chernobyl before that. Though as with anything, there could be more to those stories than meets the eye.

1365 = 1

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 03:42 #8

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
@ Nov....yes I'd say solar is the obvious way ahead....for a domestic user, sticking a couple of panels on your roof....well people are doing it..

A bit of an initial outlay sure, I've heard/read about people actually selling electricity back into the national grid.

It even works in the UK climate apparently. :D
The pen is mightier than the sword

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 03:54 #9

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
novum wrote:
No I havent, but lets say he was right for arguments sake... many have been convinced otherwise about the dangers.

Fukushima hasnt helped, chernobyl before that. Though as with anything, there could be more to those stories than meets the eye.

We hear lots of stories but we see very little evidence of what they claim. Japan should be overrun by mutant life forms and humans and areas should be totally uninhabitable clearly that's not the case! Listen to what Windsor has to say on the subject - he is sharing first hand experience as someone who handled nuclear material from the very beginning of the industry. He is quite happy to eat the stuff as you will see in his talk.

diamondgeezer wrote:
@ Nov....yes I'd say solar is the obvious way ahead....for a domestic user, sticking a couple of panels on your roof....well people are doing it..

A bit of an initial outlay sure, I've heard/read about people actually selling electricity back into the national grid.

It even works in the UK climate apparently. :D

The problem is that the rate of return is declining due to global dimming, I believe the UK is about 20% less efficient than it was a few years ago. It still requires an equivalent source of conventional energy generation available as a backup. It requires a large area to be significant with respect to national consumption. Domestically you needs a large enough area facing the right direction at the optimum angle to be effective. Ideally with a bank of batteries to store energy generated installation of which becomes expensive.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 04:01 #10

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I believe that solar panel technology will advance significantly over the next few years, and become viable for everyone.

That's if the big energy companies don't put a stop to it of course.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 04:10 #11

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
I think you're in for a disappointment then. Energy, Food and Water are way too controlled for there to be any major upsets in the revenue stream for Governments and Corporations under the present structure. The only chance of change is to over turn the system of control and release the actual (real) science into the public domain.

Wind Turbines Responsible For 600,000 Bat Deaths In 2012 19 Nov 2013 04:25 #12

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
When I say the technology will become 'viable' for everyone, well yes I believe it will.

Doesn't mean we're all going to get it though does it.