Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pacific Ocean contamination

Pacific Ocean contamination 29 Dec 2013 18:26 #1

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
Not sure where to put this, might be an better category for it to be moved to.

I recently met a sixty-something woman at the bus stop and we got to chatting about the Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan. I was really surprised that she knew all about it and was keeping current on the recent events because most people know nothing about it. Another woman joined our chat, saying that she had relatives in Seattle, and that she and they had heard nothing about how much radioactivity was contaminating the Pacific Ocean, had never heard of Fukushima, and had not heard anything about elevated radioactivity levels on the US west coast. Given the recent legislation in Japan that adds any query about nuclear power (eg ROI requests) to the contravention of national secrets acts, and the clampdown of media in Japan, as well as the rinsing of news by the IAEA on the subject, I am not ever surprised to meet people who know nothing about this.

In the recent past, I posted a lot on another forum about Fukushima. Gathering news from the 'net and writing took a lot of time and resources; my posts generated a lot of views, but not as many responses or posts from others. After some time it became apparent that people felt powerless to do much, and posting about Fuku became sort of a daily dose of gloom for me, and I felt that it was perpetuating a :nilly: cycle. Too, I had left many links for people to do their own reading and following and felt that I had done a good bit to educate and inform.

There is not a lot that the average person is going to be able to do about the rising and on-going contamination problem, but one thing that is apparently going to help, is to keep this problem fresh in the news and to pass on information that will help those that might be more directly effected by this disaster. Of course, that will not -in time-- be only those in Japan and surrounding countries, or even those living on the west coast of the States. The oceanic currents are symbiotic to a degree and what goes into the Pacific does not remain there, but will eventually travel via currents into all oceans and seas. Some will travel northward of Canada and flow down along the eastern seaboard of the US, with New England and the Central Atlantic coastlines receiving quite a bit of contamination. Some of the nuclear contamination in the Pacific will eventually enter the North Sea and affect Europe, especially the UK and the Netherlands. So some of this is also relevant to the UK and our friends in Norway, etc.

I come back to this topic because of two posts I read at fukushima-diary.com today, especially to give those on the US west coast a heads up. I don't copy/paste any content from Iori (eye-or-ee) at Fukushima Diary, who reads and translates from Japanese to English the regular TEPCO reports on their site, but will say two things that I have read today that really set my alarm bells ringing. If you want to read more, do visit his site. I will add, that if I were living on the west coast of the US, I would be looking to move. Really.
Not intending to post regularly on this topic, but may come back and do an occasional post if I come across any big news.

1. The radioactive material being measured in the port where the Daiichi plant is located, may be coming from the seabed of the port where the plant is sited. (I have thought for some time that the corium --which have not been located-- from at least one reactor is likely IN the sea itself,having melted and fallen through or been ejected downward.)

2. The highest readings of radionucleotides yet have been recorded in the ground water on the ocean side of Reactor 2 on 26 December 2013: 2,100,000,000 Bq/m3.

This is an increase from the readings the week before: 1,900,000,000 Bq/m3.

fukushima-diary.com
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Hexhammer, cantata, phemohilia, jonb

Pacific Ocean contamination 29 Dec 2013 21:31 #2

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Nobody talks about this any more... I was surprised how quickly the whole Fukushima thing went out of news. I tried to keep some noise about it at the time, but nobody wanted to listen. :( I guess talking about this takes people too far away from their comfort zone.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx

Pacific Ocean contamination 30 Dec 2013 23:24 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The Japanese Mob Is Hiring Homeless People to Clean Up Fukushima

Nearly three years after an earthquake and tsunami caused the greatest nuclear disaster in decades, Japan is still in the early days of its massive Fukushima cleanup effort. Powering the cleanup of the fallout zone is an army of workers making $60 a day to decontaminate the region.

Now, where do you find people willing to work in a fallout zone for minimum wage? According to a Reuters report, hidden within hundreds of contractors working on the cleanup effort are yakuza-controlled companies that pay headhunters to find homeless people willing to work inside the fallout zone.

The sheer scale of the cleanup effort is staggering. While decontaminating the Fukushima plant itself will cost tens of billions and take years, there are also the surrounding areas in Fukushima prefecture, where cleanup costs are expected to top $30 billion. With Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco), the owner of the Fukushima plant, essentially nationalized at this point, Reuters reports that there's some $35 billion in taxpayer funds on the table for contractors.

That's turned the Fukushima cleanup into something of a boom industry, with a number of shady entities trying to score a piece of the pie. Some highlights from the newest Reuters report, which is definitely worth reading in full:

Members of Japanese organized crime were arrested three times this year "on charges of infiltrating construction giant Obayashi Corp's network of decontamination subcontractors and illegally sending workers to the government-funded project," which in some cases were homeless people hired by recruiters paid bounties on each minimum-wage worker they could sign up.

motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-japanese-mob-is-hiring-homeless-people-to-clean-up-fukushima
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx

Pacific Ocean contamination 31 Dec 2013 00:05 #4

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Getting homeless people to clean it up for $60 a day....don't know where to start. :(

Same thing happened in Russia after the Chernobyl nuclear plant disaster. This vid speaks volumes....

The pen is mightier than the sword
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony, syxx
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare