Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 14:32 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Huge tidal surges and monster waves towering to 30ft have battered the south-west, Wales and are spreading northwards, flooding huge areas, smashing roads and causing transport chaos. Areas like Salcombe in Devon, top left, West Bay in Dorset, bottom left, and Lyme Regis, right, are flooded after huge waves crashed over sea defences. A coastal road in Amroth, west Wales, has disintegrated because of the force of the sea, centre. But there is more bad news because experts say more torrential rain, gale-force winds and the highest tide expected in all of 2014 will hit tonight. There are currently 21 severe flood warnings in place - the highest level - and 500 lower alerts across the UK today, with people being warned to stay away from the coast and swollen rivers.
The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: jaxdreaming

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 15:47 #2

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
Bloomin southerners, hogging all the fun again and complaining about it ;)
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 16:01 #3

• vambo
  • Fresh Member
Oooh oooh, HAARP,Chemtrails, lizards.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Hexhammer, Paul Tootall

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 16:20 #4

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
^That must be it! Its storm and all, its a conspiracy!^ :larf:
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Paul Tootall

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 17:11 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
TPTB didn't build that Welsh coastal road very well.....there's a conspiracy.... :D
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 18:23 #6

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I went to Brighton today. The sea looked very frightening and brown in colour. A bit like this....

We had a hard job trying to walk, it was so windy. Came back through Lewes, where there was bad thunder and lightening.

It looks as though the weather it's going to be really bad over the weekend.

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 18:30 #7

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I hope my beloved Weymouth is alright! I'll have to go down there and, like some kind of female King Canute, order back the waves.....

:hdbng:
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, syxx, jaxdreaming

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 20:39 #8

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
Gads... some fierce!

Up here in Coom-bria the Irish Sea is howling along with the wind. Not keen on walking down to the cove and braving gusts that are making the street lamps judder and sway, though. Nary a gull in the sky today; sheltering in place is not just for us without feathers, apparently.

@Cantata, take up thy sword and command! :cavalier
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2014 20:39 by syxx. Reason: i not o
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 03 Jan 2014 20:47 #9

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
syxx wrote:
Gads... some fierce!

Up here in Coom-bria the Irish Sea is howling along with the wind. Not keen on walking down to the cove and braving gusts that are making the street lamps judder and sway, though. Nary a gull in the sky today; sheltering in place is not just for us without feathers, apparently.

@Cantata, take up thy sword and command! :cavalier

Coom-bria... snap... in Caer-Isel myself... small world Syxx lol
User(s) who Liked this post: syxx

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 04 Jan 2014 03:13 #10

• syxx
  • Fresh Member
I adore Carlisle; people there are the salt of the earth. Almost moved there a while back.
Every time I think of having a hols up that way, all I can think of is the tourists who swathe themselves in plaid and go rushing into all the pubs and crawl around the castle like ants at a picnic. :hahano:

I DID go out and got mesel' down to the cove after the pub closed and the streets were empty. The waves were thrashing at the shore and the boats in and out of deep troughs and straining at their moorings. It's too far for me to walk, really, but.... Wild. So beautiful.
Hours later now, and the storm seems to have calmed. But we've had this wind (and sometimes lashing rain) time and again for two weeks now. Maybe this is the weather pattern we will have this winter.
Hope everyone in the southern counties are safe and warm.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, Paul Tootall

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 04 Jan 2014 06:23 #11

• jaxdreaming
  • Fresh Member
cantata wrote:
I hope my beloved Weymouth is alright! I'll have to go down there and, like some kind of female King Canute, order back the waves.....

:hdbng:

Hey Cantata... same here... that's where all my family abides... :) I think the Preston Beach Road had a 'Danger of Death' warning... :O

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 19:43 #12

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
And more to come tomorrow it seems...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25606031

Some roads remain closed and train services disrupted as the UK reels from a spell of powerful storms.

Dozens of flood warnings remain in place in parts of the UK, with forecasters also warning that strong winds and large waves on Monday could cause further coastal flooding.

High winds and waves caused flooding in Northern Ireland, while heavy rain is forecast in southern Wales and England.

Its not been too bad here in Manchester, but my son was having real problems on friday trying to book his train ticket back to university in Exeter....they were all being cancelled.

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 21:20 #13

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
It's really bad here again tonight. I think I made the right decision in staying home and not braving the trip to the West Country this weekend.

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 21:30 #14

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
My son finally got a train booked for this lunchtime (at a far higher price than the one's he was trying to book for saturday).

He should be safely in Exeter by now hopefully. He had to be back by today....exams tomorrow.

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 21:33 #15

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
That's a shame, but at least he managed to get a train. :)

I'm going to get a lift down next week and then catch the train back. Hopefully the weather will have calmed down a bit by then.

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 22:07 #16

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Manchester to Exeter, sunday afternoon, 94 quid one way. Someone is taking the piss.

Its just started to get very windy here...
User(s) who Liked this post: pheony

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 22:13 #17

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Manchester to Exeter, sunday afternoon, 94 quid one way. Someone is taking the piss.

Its just started to get very windy here...

What have you eaten?

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 22:27 #18

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Its not me, its Gods fault....He has been eating these....

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 05 Jan 2014 22:36 #19

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Its not me, its Gods fault....He has been eating these....

Are you sure it's not these?.....

Storm chaos as massive tidal surge sends monster waves of up to THIRTY feet crashing into Britain's battered coastline 07 Jan 2014 12:01 #20

• jonb

It's still windy,

and wet.
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014 12:03 by jonb.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, Worzel
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare