Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 20:32 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive

Tripa burning in 2012.

MEULABOH DISTRICT, Aceh, Indonesia,‎ January 12, 2014 (ENS) – An Indonesian court has found the palm oil company PT Kallista Alam guilty of illegally burning large swathes of the Tripa peat forest, which lies within Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem, the only place on Earth where tigers, elephants, rhinos, and orangutans can be found living together in the wild.

The court ordered the company to pay 114.3 billion rupiah (US$9.4 million) in compensation and 251.7 billion rupiah (US$20.8 million) to restore the affected areas of forest.

The case was brought against PT Kallista Alam by the Indonesian Ministry of Environment.

“This is a clear message to companies working in Aceh who think they can destroy protected forests and get away with it,” said Muhammad Nur, chairman of the Aceh branch of the nonprofit group Walhi, or Friends of the Earth Indonesia.

The senior judge at the Meulaboh District Court, Rahmawati SH, said PT Kallista Alam had illegally used fire to clear forest land and was in breach of National Law N° 32/2009 on Environmental Protection and Management.

The court also ordered the confiscation of 5,769 hectares of land managed by PT Kallista Alam and set a 5 million rupiah (US$423) daily fine for each day the company delays paying the compensation and restoration costs.

Kamaruddin, a lawyer working with communities in the Tripa region, said the court ruling should serve as a wake-up call to any company thinking of investing within the Leuser Ecosystem, which is a National Strategic Area. “They could suffer the same fate as PT Kallista Alam.”.......

ens-newswire.com/2014/01/12/palm-oil-company-fined-millions-for-burning-sumatran-forest/
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Worzel

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 20:42 #2

• Worzel
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Horrible things like that make me all the more admire
www.thecrowhouse.com/home.html
not Sumatra - but in Sumatra you will have the wildlife lot all over them (unless they did it as a fundraiser) like a rash.

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 20:45 #3

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
  • Currently researching things they don't want you to know
These things make me sick to the stomach really.

Once they have fucked it over this way they will go frak it as well by the looks of it.

I can see a lot of people getting more and more militant over this kind of stuff soon, especially when their drinking water is poisoned and the crops start to fail, and the fraking empties the rivers and water table and causes droughts, just like it has in other parts of the world they have done it... and lied about it.

CO2 is not the problems, its corporate psychopaths destroying the earth for profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 20:50 #4

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:

Once they have fucked it over this way they will go frak it as well by the looks of it.

I can see a lot of people getting more and more militant over this kind of stuff soon, especially when their drinking water is poisoned and the crops start to fail, and the fraking empties the rivers and water table and causes droughts, just like it has in other parts of the world they have done it... and lied about it.

CO2 is not the problems, its corporate psychopaths destroying the earth for profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldn't have said it better

This story is sickening but I suppose there is a silver lining in that at least in this case the company has been punished.
In the past the companies have got away with these sorts of actions due to the corruption of the Indonesian court system.

I recently saw a documentary about orangutan's that had had their habitat destroyed by illegal logging and forest burning and it literally had me in tears. :(

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 20:53 #5

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Mart wrote:
Paul Tootall wrote:

couldn't have said it better

This story is sickening but I suppose there is a silver lining in that at least in this case the company has been punished.
In the past the companies have got away with these sorts of actions due to the corruption of the Indonesian court system.

I recently saw a documentary about orangutan's that had had their habitat destroyed by illegal logging and forest burning and it literally had me in tears. :(

This is what makes me sick about watermelon greenies... they go off on agenda trips against the establishments boogie men, like Russias oil exploration... whilst ignoring Fukashima and the Gulf Oil Disaster... and do frak all about this... and fraking... shows how controlled and directed these cunts are... Greenpeace... selling out people who care for at least 30 years...
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 21:00 #6

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:

This is what makes me sick about watermelon greenies... they go off on agenda trips against the establishments boogie men, like Russias oil exploration... whilst ignoring Fukashima and the Gulf Oil Disaster... and do frak all about this... and fraking... shows how controlled and directed these cunts are... Greenpeace... selling out people who care for at least 30 years...

true, I suspect most people in these organisations (not the top) have their heart in the right place but they only get their information through the groups they belong to, so all they ever hear is what the agenda wants them to care about.
User(s) who Liked this post: Paul Tootall

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 21:03 #7

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Mart wrote:
Paul Tootall wrote:

true, I suspect most people in these organisations (not the top) have their heart in the right place but they only get their information through the groups they belong to, so all they ever hear is what the agenda wants them to care about.

The thing is the lower types are passionate, but the perfect :sheeps: for the establishment, as they have believed ALL the lies they have been told at school and uni... they need to be woke up more than anyone, they blindly go to the slaughter like good little well trained :sheeps: when they should be :villagers: angry and sorting the right problems out... like the real criminals!!!!

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 21:15 #8

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:

The thing is the lower types are passionate, but the perfect :sheeps: for the establishment, as they have believed ALL the lies they have been told at school and uni... they need to be woke up more than anyone, they blindly go to the slaughter like good little well trained :sheeps: when they should be :villagers: angry and sorting the right problems out... like the real criminals!!!!

IF it's any consolation things are changing at an incredible pace and i think those 'green warriors' will become an irrelevance or join us.

The story posted earlier not sure if it was here or SZ about Michael Gove getting chased round the school is a great example, the kids are waking up at an amazing rate.
I posted a comment about the new world order on a gaming video a few weeks ago, in the past that would result in several weeks of abusive replies and jokes, this time I didn't get one and it got over a hundred up ticks.
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2014 21:16 by Mart.
User(s) who Liked this post: Paul Tootall

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 21:23 #9

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Hehe... funny you should say that... I have 3 children...I am educating them... and their friends.... and their friends listen and pay attention to me more than my own kids to. I also scare teachers hehe.
User(s) who Liked this post: Mart, Worzel

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 14 Jan 2014 21:35 #10

• Mart
  • Fresh Member
Paul Tootall wrote:
Hehe... funny you should say that... I have 3 children...I am educating them... and their friends.... and their friends listen and pay attention to me more than my own kids to. I also scare teachers hehe.

:larf: great!

have you run into any issues with other parents over telling their kids scary stuff?
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2014 21:36 by Mart.

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 28 Jan 2014 20:11 #11

• Paul Tootall
  • Fresh Member
Mart wrote:
Paul Tootall wrote:

:larf: great!

have you run into any issues with other parents over telling their kids scary stuff?

Never, I tell the parents to, many of them ask me about things they see in the news now for the real perspective. It's getting quite interesting, you can see many of them trying to stick to their programing and not believe it, but they keep coming back and asking some questions about things and asking what I think about certain things etc

Palm Oil Company Fined Millions for Burning Sumatran Forest 29 Jan 2014 13:42 #12

• Orangeaid
  • Platinum Member
That's a great outcome. I wasn't aware Indonesian authorities actually were fining loggers.

Nearby Singapore is almost always hazy. The palm oil trees only yield well for 25 years. The oil farmers don't then pull the trees out and plant new ones, the just burn them. It's shocking at certain times of year, especially the dry season.

Indonesia is still very third world so I do understand the mentality to develop, and that the West has no place to dictate how a developing nation will do it.

It's great to see that more value is being placed on protection than on continuing to allow deforestation.
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare