Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 16 Mar 2014 17:56 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive

‘Business as usual’ approach of economic elite will lead society to disaster, scientists warn

Modern civilisation is heading for collapse within a matter of decades because of growing economic instability and pressure on the planet’s resources, according to a scientific study funded by Nasa.

Using theoretical models to predict what will happen to the industrialised world over the course of the next century or so, mathematicians found that even with conservative estimates things started to go very badly, very quickly.

Referring to the past collapses of often very sophisticated civilisations – the Roman, Han and Gupta Empires for example – the study noted that the elite of society have often pushed for a “business as usual” approach to warnings of disaster until it is too late.

In the report based on his “Human And Nature Dynamical” (Handy) model, the applied mathematician Safa Motesharri wrote: “the process of rise-and-collapse is actually a recurrent cycle found throughout history”.

His research, carried out with the help of a team of natural and social scientists and with funding from Nasa’s Goddard Space Flight Center, has been accepted for publication in the Ecological Economics journal, the Guardian reported.

Motesharri explored the factors which could lead to the collapse of civilisation, from population growth to climate change, and found that when these converge they can cause society to break down because of the “stretching of resources” and “the economic stratification of society into ‘Elites’ and ‘Masses’”.....

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasafunded-study-warns-of-collapse-of-civilisation-in-coming-decades-9195668.html
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: chandrakavi

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 17 Mar 2014 07:26 #2

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Well, this ain't no news, is it?

The current way of life people have could only end up totally fucked up... The continuous 'growth' cannot go on forever. That's what seeking profit does, more and more profit, no matter the cost, it'll come to an end. But there's a lot of storms to come before the system of profit seeking implodes. And I think the 'masses' are going to take the biggest hit. The rich folks are safer, unless people hang them on the lamp posts.

I don't believe the 'elite' running the show will change their ways before its too late.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 17 Mar 2014 07:36 #3

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
The OP reminded me of this video...

"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 17 Mar 2014 10:09 #4

• Orangeaid
  • Platinum Member
Putin seems to have assessed the situation pretty well

Last Edit: 17 Mar 2014 10:10 by Orangeaid.

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 17 Mar 2014 20:43 #5

• chandrakavi
  • Underground Researcher
Hexhammer wrote:
Well, this ain't no news, is it?

The current way of life people have could only end up totally fucked up... The continuous 'growth' cannot go on forever. That's what seeking profit does, more and more profit, no matter the cost, it'll come to an end. But there's a lot of storms to come before the system of profit seeking implodes. And I think the 'masses' are going to take the biggest hit. The rich folks are safer, unless people hang them on the lamp posts.

I don't believe the 'elite' running the show will change their ways before its too late.

We have seen they will not change, but we have seen Empires collapse in the past, and other Empires have continued.

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades 04 Sep 2014 05:58 #6

• zax
  • Gold Member
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare