Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: California Fires

California Fires 30 Oct 2019 02:42 #1

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
Gov Brown's Culpability For Spreading Wildfires

UPDATE 11/19/18: In light of PG&E's likely role in starting the Camp Fire, this blog about Gov Brown and his regulators' failure to force the utilities to mitigate fire risks is like deja vu all over again.

Governor Brown may not have lit the match that set off the recent wild fires in Sonoma and Napa, but he has responsibility for failing to clear the tinder that spread the flames.

In an oped in this Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle (which you can read below), I presented the case of how Brown's failure to rein in PG&E, corruption at the Public Utilities Commission and his veto of legislation stepping up clearing of brush near overhead utility lines contributed to the rapid spread of the flames.

The significance of Brown’s veto of SB 1463 (Moorlach), which passed unanimously in 2016 following the Butte fires, was called into question by the Governor's office in response to the oped. The bill required updating of fire safety maps that PG&E has been stonewalling for almost a decade through the regulatory process. Those maps determine whether utilities like PG&E have to mitigate risk of fires by clearing brush near overhead utility lines.

Reporting by the Bay Area News group Sunday also shows just how significant that veto was. The newspaper group reported that since the 2007 San Diego wildfires PG&E has stalled the creation of new fire maps in the Public Utilities Commission process. SB 1463 would have required completion of the maps and process, including input from local communities about their contours. This bill was neither insignificant nor small.

Why would a governor veto unanimous legislation that was unopposed? That’s between Brown and his priest. However, having watched the statehouse for nearly three decades, I can say it’s no stretch that PG&E, which was too embarrassed to openly oppose the bill, whispered in the ear of the Administration. The fact that former PG&E executives were Brown’s top aides made that whisper very probable.

Here's my Sunday oped laying out the case:

"Failure to Adequately Regulate Utilties Helped Fuel Fires

Corruption can kill.

The fires that laid waste to California’s Wine Country and at least 42 lives were not merely the product of a changing climate and extra-heated winds.

Early reports suggest the failure of Gov. Jerry Brown and his appointees to adequately regulate our public utilities to prevent such fires also fueled the fast-moving flames.

Investigators are examining downed power wires and exploding transformers from Pacific Gas & Electric Co., which were reported on multiple 911 calls, by PG&E workers and by witnesses as the immediate cause of many blazes.

Reports from fire responders, residents and PG&E itself also point to the flames spreading so quickly because of overgrown trees too close to the utility’s power lines.

The Butte Fire in 2015, which destroyed more than 500 homes and killed two people in Calaveras County, was caused by PG&E’s failure to cut back a pine tree that hit a power line and sparked the fire.

PG&E’s negligence to identify the weakened trees led to bipartisan legislation in 2016, passed unanimously by both houses of the Legislature, to reduce the risks of wildfire from overhead utility lines by clearing out dead trees. The bill required the Public Utilities Commission to identify and map high-risk wildfire hotspots due to overhead utility lines, taking into consideration local governments’ concerns, so that utilities would have to step up their mitigation efforts in those areas.

Unfortunately, Gov. Brown shockingly vetoed that fire prevention legislation, claiming that the state Public Utilities Commission and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection had a process in place. The furious spread of fires along trees in the path of power lines last week lays naked that claim.

PG&E itself put the blame on “hurricane-strength winds” and “millions of trees weakened by years of drought,” contributing “to some trees, branches and debris impacting our electric lines.”

In fact, winds were only half the level of hurricane force, peaking at 30 miles per hour when the Tubbs Fire started, according to the Bay Area News Group, but overgrown trees as fuel for the fire were all too real. Attorney Frank Pitre, who sued PG&E over the Butte Fire, said it’s “the utility’s very responsibility to identify a weakened tree and remove it before it strikes a power line.”

Unfortunately, cronyism in the Brown administration has allowed a long-standing culture of neglect at PG&E to continue undeterred because PG&E and its brethren fear no real consequences.

PG&E has long been the darling of the Brown administration, supplying his top aide, Nancy McFadden, from its executive ranks, as well as his former Cabinet secretary. It’s little wonder the unanimous fire cleanup bill was vetoed when McFadden, Brown’s top legislative adviser, was a former senior vice president at PG&E who left the company with a $1 million payout.

The veto came despite the fact that explosive electric power equipment is among the top three causes of California wildfires.

Brown has also stacked his Public Utilities Commission with PG&E and utility partisans in the wake of corruption scandals that should have shaken the commission to its core.

PG&E’s former lobbyist was caught in a pay-to-play scheme with former PUC President Michael Peevey, but Brown did all he could to support Peevey and keep the pro-utility commission pro-utility. “He gets things done,” Brown said of Peevey, after the scandal broke, calling him “a very effective leader.”

We often think of public corruption as an academic, antiseptic issue. In this case, it has real-world consequences. Brown’s refusal to get tough on PG&E and other utilities has led to repeated safety issues that endanger lives.

Consider the San Bruno explosion in 2010 that claimed eight lives and leveled neighborhoods. PG&E neglected gas pipelines and kept shoddy maintenance records. It even took ratepayer money intended for gas pipeline repairs and used it for executive bonuses and shareholder dividends. Emails showed PG&E’s lobbyist worked surreptitiously with PUC commissioners to pick its own PUC judge to hear the case. It took a federal conviction this year to reveal PG&E was a criminal.

City officials in San Bruno still wonder why no one at the company was ever punished. Under PUC President Michael Picker, a top former aide of Brown’s, the commission continues to stonewall the release of documents related to the blast.

Of course, PG&E has been generous to Brown and his causes as well, shelling out six-figure contributions over his term.

The irony is Brown has made combatting climate change his signature issue, but his hostility to regulation has made California more vulnerable than ever to its ravages.

www.consumerwatchdog.org/energy/gov-browns-culpability-spreading-wildfires

Aerial view shows raging Getty Fire burning on westside of Los Angeles - 28 Oct 2019
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2019 02:43 by annabelle.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

California Fires 31 Oct 2019 03:13 #2

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
  • Name is Mick, Age 72, right winger, Christian, English

California Fires 31 Oct 2019 19:15 #3

• monk.link
  • Fresh Member
I'm sticking with my Frackin' Theory
monk.link wrote:
I dunno what it's like in CA, but where I live if you have a Brush Fire 1 year, you won't get another (in the same place) the following year or perhaps even for another decade or so as it takes that long for material to build up again. I can't understand how you can have record fires 2 years in a row?

I noticed last year that fires were circled around Porter's Ranch, where they had the record methane leak. I wondered if the methane was seeping up through the soil and had killed trees/brush and pooled under buildings, car parks, roads etc. This might to some extent explain why greenery was left while buildings got burned up.

California Fires 31 Oct 2019 19:27 #4

• monk.link
  • Fresh Member

California Fires 01 Nov 2019 00:52 #5

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Naturally, the Estab will try to ignore the fact that muslims might be deliberately starting wildfires.
Oh well, I suppose we could always go to relax with picnics and a bit of swimming in lakes and rivers without any danger..:)
Oh wait-

Last Edit: 01 Nov 2019 00:53 by Ugh.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lux Interior

California Fires 02 Nov 2019 23:29 #6

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
monk.link wrote:
I don't have an issue if these threads are merged into one. I did do a search here to see if there was another one on the California fires before starting this one but didn't go back far enough so yeah..might be a good idea to merge them.
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2019 23:30 by annabelle.

California Fires 03 Nov 2019 00:39 #7

• Ugh
  • Silver Member
Thankfully there are still some places like theme parks and Disneyworld where we can go to relax and have fun without any terror threat..:)
Oh wait-

Last Edit: 03 Nov 2019 00:40 by Ugh.

California Fires 03 Nov 2019 18:09 #8

• monk.link
  • Fresh Member
The California "Wildfires" thread on the old DI forum

forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=319265

Seems to be an annual thing in recent years

California Fires 04 Nov 2019 11:50 #9

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
monk.link wrote:
monk.link wrote:
I dunno what it's like in CA, but where I live if you have a Brush Fire 1 year, you won't get another (in the same place) the following year or perhaps even for another decade or so as it takes that long for material to build up again. I can't understand how you can have record fires 2 years in a row?

I noticed last year that fires were circled around Porter's Ranch, where they had the record methane leak. I wondered if the methane was seeping up through the soil and had killed trees/brush and pooled under buildings, car parks, roads etc. This might to some extent explain why greenery was left while buildings got burned up.

Huh?

I don't understand. Last year's "wild" fires were clearly lit/set/pyromany.

Fracking does not take place in cities and is way too deep to cause surface fires.
The Only Limit is Your Own Imagination
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
- Vladimir Nabokov (1938)
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)

California Fires 04 Nov 2019 15:12 #10

• Flare
Gaia wrote:
I don't understand.

You don't understand anything.

And no one here is waiting for your jewish opinion on matters.

California Fires 06 Nov 2019 12:41 #11

• Gaia
  • Gold Member

The real reason for chemtrails; spraying combustible materials on rural areas, this makes way more sense than spraying "to kill us".

The controlled power outages are very dangerous and see how they do it:
Do you have a readiness plan for wildfire season?
If gusty winds and dry conditions, combined with a heightened fire risk, are forecasted to threaten a portion of the electric system, it may be necessary for us to turn off electricity for safety BULL FUCKING SHIT. This is called a "Public Safety Power Shutoff" ("PSPS").

Be prepared—a shutoff could last several days.

PREPARE FOR OUTAGES
We plan to notify you of a shutoff in advance.
Update your contact information online or by calling 1-866-743-6589.
A truth seeker is someone who dares to wade through thick series of toxic smoke screens and tries not to inhale - Gaia
"What do you call 'genius'?" "Well, seeing things others don't see. Or rather the invisible links between things."
"The silence of conspiracy. Slaughtered on the altar of apathy." - Lords of the New Church (1982)
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2019 12:42 by Gaia.
User(s) who Liked this post: Lizzy

California Fires 06 Nov 2019 19:28 #12

• Flare
Gaia wrote:
The real reason for chemtrails; spraying combustible materials on rural areas, this makes way more sense than spraying "to kill us".

^ You are the living evidence that university is full of mostly idiots and fuckheads.

Basically all one apparently needs to be good at in University is reading and learning to repeat information in order to graduate... but one does not need to be able to THINK.

Because you are just so full of shit in basically everything you say, it's incredible.

I mean... just look at the other, out of dozens and dozens, example you give like above... how in the fuck do you think that spraying combustible materials over large areas would go unnoticed and not easily put the whole fucking place on fire?!

Do you think they are also 'spraying combustible materials' over Holland, Germany, France, etc. etc..? :facepalm:

Man-o-man... Nov, can people actually get banned or timed out from TZ due to stupidity!?

California Fires 07 Nov 2019 18:35 #13

• annabelle
  • Silver Member
This is a thread I started and I appreciate what members have contributed to the topic of the thread....with one exception....Flare's two posts in this thread have contributed nothing to the topic and are only meant to antagonize and insult.... so unless you are willing to contribute to the topic concerning the California Fires and refrain from posting merely to insult member/members who are posting on the topic (whether one agrees with the information or not) then I ask that you refrain from posting in this thread.

If one does disagree with information a member posts on the topic then it is a fairly simple thing to counter that information and explain why you believe it is bogus without resorting to all manner of derogatory insults which is all rather tiresome.
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2019 18:41 by annabelle.
User(s) who Liked this post: Gaia

California Fires 21 Nov 2019 04:11 #14

• monk.link
  • Fresh Member
Gaia wrote:
monk.link wrote:
monk.link wrote:

Huh?

Fracking does not take place in cities and is way too deep to cause surface fires.

Look up Fugitive Emissions. Basically creating a perfectly sealed well (all the way down) is more difficult than their illustrative cartoons would suggest (esp. if it's in unstable geology). I think it was Dr Ingraffea who pointed out that a % of wells never achieve anything like a seal, most fail very quickly (during operation), 100% will fail eventually. Also it's not just the seal at the surface that's important. When it fails below the surface, but above the impermeable layer then the methane will be forced into subsurface layers from where it will migrate.

California Fires 23 Dec 2019 19:05 #15

• monk.link
  • Fresh Member
Are the current Aussie Bush Fires bang in the middle of a Fracking zone by any chance???
(no, no deffo Climate Chg :iitm: )

California and Australian Fires 24 Dec 2019 21:39 #16

• Lizzy
  • Gold Member
Gaia's posting of the Deborah Tavares vid is the only info that identifies the true reasons behind these fires - Agenda 21 / 30 the vehicle through which we meet our demise . Global warming CO2 is a hoax we know , the real reasons for massive fire outbreaks which are building in catastrophic measurement isn't the use of fossil fuels , it's a deliberate tool to force people off the land into pack and stack cities , demand that only electricity be the major and usually only source of power in all buildings and transportation.
Once they have us dependent and in the 5G smart grid - the plan is obvious - it's already happened - the brown outs then black out begin .
In 20 -30 yrs the Grand Solar Minimum is expected to kick in . gradually taking us into an ice age akin to the one when the Thames iced over .
justhistoryposts.com/2017/11/30/when-the-thames-froze-over-

Remember when the Club of Rome that brought us global warming / global change ect didn't know whether to go with we're all going to freeze or we're all going fry and drown - well they choose the later , it's thought b/c more taxation . prohibitive and draconian laws could be brought about with that option but I think they may have already known what was really coming - a freezer kill to the northern latitudes and even why they want control of the middle east - the future bread basket of the west and why China wants Australia as it's.

it's not fossil fuels they haven't run out , oil replenishes over time but I do believe they're being mothballed for future use once de-population has run it's course in 3 - 500 yrs. - that's only my conjecture - there's much better energy out there - so why only electric (and wind , solar , wave that only gives a small amount and has issues ) b/c the likes of Rothschild owned P G & E can pull the plug on you anytime - that's total power - 5G total control .
Please view Gaia's vid and here's what on offer for Australia -

Last Edit: 24 Dec 2019 22:04 by Lizzy.

California Fires 26 Dec 2019 01:33 #17

• Gaia
  • Gold Member
monk.link wrote:
Gaia wrote:
monk.link wrote:
monk.link wrote:

Huh?

Look up Fugitive Emissions. Basically creating a perfectly sealed well (all the way down) is more difficult than their illustrative cartoons would suggest (esp. if it's in unstable geology). I think it was Dr Ingraffea who pointed out that a % of wells never achieve anything like a seal, most fail very quickly (during operation), 100% will fail eventually. Also it's not just the seal at the surface that's important. When it fails below the surface, but above the impermeable layer then the methane will be forced into subsurface layers from where it will migrate.

Are you taking this "knowledge" from Gasland, the crackomentary where they made this same mistake?

If you don't understand the technology, then research it and refrain from pushing bullshit.

The drilling expert was shoah'd (again, for again no reason whatsoever, this is a mental asylum here with a deranged keyboard fascist who thinks he has the right to rule), but ask him.
Last Edit: 26 Dec 2019 01:35 by Gaia.

California Fires 26 Dec 2019 22:28 #18

• Flare
^ ‘The drilling expert’ got banned again because he got permanently banned before for trying to wreck the forum. And he immediately picked up where he left on his new account by trashing Roastie and shitposting/spamming all over the board.

Everyone saw it.

Yet, you as a jew who does not know of morals and values obviously have no clue about what is right and wrong in this world.
Otherwise you wouldn’t be defending scumbags like Rocco and other trolls, or bring a maniac like Papa Legba to this board.

Trying to explain to you about what is good and how things should be done is like trying to explain to a termite to stop chowing down on the house.

It’s in your jewish dna to wreck and destroy. You just can’t help it.
Last Edit: 26 Dec 2019 22:30 by Flare.

California Fires 26 Dec 2019 23:54 #19

• Lux Interior
  • Silver Member
  • Do you know de way?
So why is cultsmasher still here? Why was T fucking G permitted to continue ad nauseam shilling and insulting? What are the parameters here?
liberabo te ab inferno

875 020 079

He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "'The horror!
User(s) who Liked this post: Gaia

California Fires 27 Dec 2019 05:52 #20

• Flare
Lux Interior wrote:
So why is cultsmasher still here? Why was T fucking G permitted to continue ad nauseam shilling and insulting? What are the parameters here?

Because it seems that Cultsmasher has calmed down a bit and is actually making good posts / remarks on the board.

Gaia actually is doing a lot worse than CS, since Gaia always supports the trolls/troublemakers, constantly spreads lies and disinfo and he behaves like a lunatic under the guise of trying to make it look like if he actually has a serious opinion in order to mislead some members about his intentions here. He clearly is not interested in what other members have to say on this board, unless it fits his own narrative / opinion.

Make no mistake: if Gaia would have the possibility to press a button and censor / shut down this board, he would do it immediately.

As this had been proven by how he handles his own subforum where he constantly deletes my posts, yet he expects all the trolls of the forum to keep having full access to wreck havoc to the place.
Last Edit: 27 Dec 2019 06:00 by Flare.
  • Page:
Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare