Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the Pat Condell video thread

the Pat Condell video thread 30 Sep 2012 21:15 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
For those who may not have heard of Pat or seen his many vids on youtube, a brief introduction...

Pat Condell is an outspoken atheist who has made and still makes videos talking about the issues around, and the problems caused by, ALL organised religions. He is also passionate about freedom of speech.

Please use this thread for posting Pats video's and also to discuss their content and the issues he raises.

In this vid, The Criminal Truth , Pat talks about Islam and freedom of speech...

The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

the Pat Condell video thread 30 Sep 2012 21:25 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I'm hopeless at posting vids :emb:

Iv'e watched a lot of his vids and think he say's what a lot of people are thinking, but are to frightened to say.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Frog

the Pat Condell video thread 30 Sep 2012 21:38 #3

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Nobody should be silenced in the name of religion, but it seems that, that is what is happening more and more. We should be moving forward, but instead are moving back.

Not good for our children and childrens children.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, irrepressible

the Pat Condell video thread 03 Oct 2012 21:01 #4

• Gilly
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I'd not heard of him before. That video is interesting.

He's not wrong in anything he says, imo. But it's a very tricky situation.

I'm sickened by the violence and suppression that women are subjected to within these religions, and I can't imagine many outsiders condoning it, yet, I'm baffled as to what you or I can do to try to put an end to it, when our own authorities have made it, under the banner of racism, illegal to criticise? Race isn't even the same thing as religion, but it's so closely linked that you couldn't escape that labelling.

I did argue about it a few years ago with a person who defended this aspect of his religion on another forum. He seemed sensible and pleasant enough, and was adamant that there's no extreme violence advocated by the Koran (even though occasional media coverage of 'honour killings' screams otherwise) but even with his tamer version of what goes on, we couldn't get past his ingrained belief that it's a man's 'right' to strike his wife if she's not obedient.

To him, it's the patriarchal head of the family's duty to enforce particular approved conduct, if necessary, and is intended for the good of the family unit.

To me it's simply unacceptable sexist dominance, which denies the reality of proper equality between the genders. That makes it very damaging to the whole culture, as well as the individuals who are subjected to it.

Can anybody suggest a way to oppose it, without ending up in court (or worse)?

I don't like any religion because of the controlling aspects, though on principle, I don't object to others having their beliefs. But the basic belief in some supreme creator is one thing. The belief that this creator instructs you to exercise control over others via violent means is something else.

Since you posted it DG, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, Frog

the Pat Condell video thread 04 Oct 2012 23:16 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Well my thoughts and opinions are very much in line with Pat's, and also with what you yourself said above Gilly. In particular the treatment of women.

You are right, it IS a very tricky situation, because as you said above, the lines have become so blurred that to condemn the practices of Islam as a religion is more than likely to get one tagged as a 'racist' in many quarters these days.

It is political correctness gone mad in my opinion, and unfortunately the situation is being cynically exploited by some for their own ends...namely religious extremists.

The fact is that in a country like Saudi Arabia where the extremist barbaric doctrine of Islam is law, 50% of that countries population are its victims...ie the female population.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of european moderate muslims don't want that version of Islam forced on them here, they just want a quiet life like everyone else. Unfortunately however, many are afraid to speak out because of the fear of being ostracised within their own communities. And that of course stems from another problem, lack of integration. Muslim communities tend to be very insular, which allows extreme Islam and its proponents to become dominant within them. Leading to the further problem of young disenchanted muslim youth becoming easy targets for the extremists' influence

I think the only way to oppose it is for us ALL to have the guts to speak out...ordinary muslims, and ordinary non-muslims, people like you and me. And of course the really brave ones like Pat Condell (who has incidentally received many death threats for his videos).
Last Edit: 04 Oct 2012 23:22 by diamondgeezer.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, irrepressible, Gilly, pheony

the Pat Condell video thread 08 Oct 2012 21:21 #6

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
This is one of my favourite Pat Condell videos (you might have seen me post it elsewhere)

In it, he talks about aggressive political religion and its effects on our society. Enjoy...

User(s) who Liked this post: Gilly, pheony

the Pat Condell video thread 19 Oct 2012 12:14 #7

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten

the Pat Condell video thread 19 Oct 2012 16:19 #8

• Gilly
  • Voluntarily Inactive
M'brain's a bit befuddled at present, but I've enjoyed the other vid's by this bloke that I've seen, so look forward to viewing this one when less cabbaged. :thumbup:

He's very thought provoking.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

the Pat Condell video thread 24 Oct 2012 05:45 #9

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten

the Pat Condell video thread 27 Oct 2012 00:36 #10

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The Guardian lol

the Pat Condell video thread 14 Nov 2012 23:12 #11

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Your moral guide? ;)

Moderators: novum, rodin, Flare