Your donations are appreciated and help keep this site running. Even the smallest amount helps.
Thankyou

PROMOTE YOUR SITE
HERE
Only $3 USD/month
TRUTHSPOON.COM
The man they can't recruit!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alan Whicker has died.

Alan Whicker has died. 12 Jul 2013 18:18 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
I always liked his programmes as a kid. RIP Alan.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23287351
Journalist and broadcaster Alan Whicker has died at the age of 87 after suffering from bronchial pneumonia.

His spokeswoman said he died in the early hours of Friday morning at his home in Jersey.

With a TV career that stretched nearly six decades, he was best known for his long-running documentary series, Whicker's World.

The show, which ran from 1959 to 1988 on both the BBC and ITV, saw him travel all over the world.

The series featured Whicker reporting on the unusual and bizarre, interviewing all types of people from millionaires and monks to gangsters and dictators.

He once said he counted himself one of the luckiest men in the world because he enjoyed his work so much.

Valerie Kleeman, Whicker's partner of more than 40 years, said she was "lucky to have shared" his life.

Whicker was made a CBE in 2005
"A few years ago a poll asked who was the most envied man in the country - and Alan won by a country mile!" she said.

"He said that he didn't know where work ended and private life began. Quoting Noel Coward, he would say 'work is more fun than fun'.

"On this last journey he will arrive curious, fascinated, and ready for a new adventure."
The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Alan Whicker has died. 12 Jul 2013 19:45 #2

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
His program used to be the highlight of the week.
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013 01:32 by pheony.

Alan Whicker has died. 12 Jul 2013 23:21 #3

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I used to love Alan Whicker's programmes.

How sad that he's gone now. But what a life he had, and 87 years of it. I wish the same for everyone!
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:09 #4

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
But what a life he had, and 87 years of it. I wish the same for everyone!

I doubt I'll make 87 cantata, not the way I live.

Who'd want to in this society today as an old person anyway, unless you were rich?

End up in some state run old people's home that smells of piss, watching daytime tv in the day room with a wet arse because no-one had got round to wiping it recently....

Bollocks to that. I'm going out early.
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013 00:11 by diamondgeezer.

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:35 #5

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Not too early, we'd hope! (You have to get me that fancy photo thingy first). :D

I dunno, DG. I kind of think that if we could find our way back to the Old Ways - where family looked after each other or the elderly stayed better for longer - perhaps because of diet or lifestyle) living long might not be too bad.

Personally, I plan to live until around 97. :) I have a younger child than most to stick around for :) ; and I want another good pony... who I'll ride until I'm 96, then retire us both, and we'll both eat anything and everything we want for that last year. It's going to take a lot of pall-bearers to carry us off.

:D

Also, just to spite the busterds and cost them more than I gave....

;)

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, irrepressible, pheony

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:41 #6

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
The day that I am unable to look after myself, is the day I will think about ending it all (If I still have all my marbles that is) I have volunteered in an Old peoples home and there is no way that I want to end up in one myself.

I have also told my daughter to put a plastic bag over my head, if I am unable to do the job myself. :P
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, cantata

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:45 #7

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I want a good innings and a great life :D Maybe I will go to the desert when the time comes (when I'm very old) the Arizona desert, and the vultures and coyotes can eat my flesh and pick over my bones, and the sand can cover my skeleton under the stars :chuckle:

It probably won't happen like that :D

I've got this thing for the Arizona desert... maybe it's DNA, maybe it's just films I've liked over the years :chuckle:
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:48 #8

• cantata
  • Silver Member
irrepressible wrote:
I've got this thing for the Arizona desert... maybe it's just films I've liked over the years :chuckle:

I swear, I used to get a "nostalgia" for small town America. I used to yearn to "go back to it". For a long time I thought it was some kind of Past Life Connection.... until I figured out it was all the films we used to have to watch with our parents on Sunday Afternoons..... :D

No wonder I thought I "knew" the place so well!

User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, pheony

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 00:57 #9

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:
I swear, I used to get a "nostalgia" for small town America. I used to yearn to "go back to it". For a long time I thought it was some kind of Past Life Connection.... until I figured out it was all the films we used to have to watch with our parents on Sunday Afternoons..... :D

No wonder I thought I "knew" the place so well!

But I'm a quarter Arizonan :P :D It is probably the films though :chuckle:
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 01:12 #10

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
cantata wrote:
Not too early, we'd hope! (You have to get me that fancy photo thingy first). :D

I dunno, DG. I kind of think that if we could find our way back to the Old Ways - where family looked after each other or the elderly stayed better for longer

See, that's where its gone so horribly wrong cantata. Not so long ago, here in Britain (just as everywhere else in the civilised world) we looked after our elderly parents.

This is how it works....they look after us when we're young, then we look after them when they are old. Family-wise, not in some institution.

Just when did that get taken away from us?

Bastards. :(
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, cantata

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 01:19 #11

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
cantata wrote:

I dunno, DG. I kind of think that if we could find our way back to the Old Ways - where family looked after each other or the elderly stayed better for longer

See, that's where its gone so horribly wrong cantata. Not so long ago, here in Britain (just as everywhere else in the civilised world) we looked after our elderly parents.

This is how it works....they look after us when we're young, then we look after them when they are old. Family-wise, not in some institution.

Just when did that get taken away from us?

Bastards. :(

You can't always lay the blame at another's door. At the home that I worked in, hardly any of the residents had visitors. out of sight out of mind..until they die and it's time for the will to be read.

Old people are seen as a burden , a burden that not many wish to take on. Yes, we should be looking after the old at home, but people have become too selfish. It's all me, me, me.
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013 01:20 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, irrepressible

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 01:31 #12

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Our present western societies are a mess when it comes to family values phe, fact.

Old people a 'burden'? ffs, they should be venerated for their knowledge, experience, wisdom etc.

Not stuck in 'Sunset Acres' care home to be left to rot.
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, pheony, cantata

Alan Whicker has died. 13 Jul 2013 01:39 #13

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
diamondgeezer wrote:
Our present western societies are a mess when it comes to family values phe, fact.

Old people a 'burden'? ffs, they should be venerated for their knowledge, experience, wisdom etc.

Not stuck in 'Sunset Acres' care home to be left to rot.

I know that DG.

Yes, they should be venerated, but nowadays they mostly aren't.. Young people think they know it all these days and only have time for their selfish needs. How many people find the time to sit in front of a computer, but won't find the time to sit with their family.
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013 01:39 by pheony.
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer