Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oliver James

Oliver James 07 Oct 2013 04:15 #1

• jonb
You might want to have a look at what this man is saying-
http://www.selfishcapitalist.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p004kln9
'Measuring Impact' listen an interesting programme.
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, cantata, Timesarrow

Oliver James 07 Oct 2013 09:03 #2

• Frog
  • Senior Boarder 
  • Government is simply a conspiracy against a nation!
The BBC broadcast was interesting and I think more could have been discussed on the mental health issues between declining western societies and developing so called third world nations. In the discussion they mentioned that the mental well-being of people in Africa was actually healthier than in most other cultures, and yet they are often the most deprived in many aspects we would take for granted.

It strikes me that the Africans lack of material things but wealth of cultural and community values is a healthier environment for the human mental condition. Which I think may people in the west are aware that we have a major family and social disconnect, which progressively gets worse as technology advances and we become more reliant on it. It was disappointing that this aspect wasn't expanded upon, as it's an important issue and we are headed for a crisis if we do not address the problems associated with material wealth and our mental health.

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." William James
User(s) who Liked this post: jonb, Timesarrow

Oliver James 07 Oct 2013 12:08 #3

• jonb
What strikes me is that the ideas that Mr James was expressing would only a few years ago be totally beyond the pale, and would not be given time of day and yet they are now moving if not into mainstream are allowed to have weight in intellectual conversations on the BBC. Things are to an extent changing, it maybe slow, but voices like ours are shown by this to be having an effect.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Oliver James 07 Oct 2013 12:09 #4

I saw his book in a charity shop the other day i might pick it up and have a look.

Love the articles on his site:
Add to this the astonishing fact that citizens of Selfish Capitalist, English-speaking nations (which tend to be one and the same) are twice as likely to suffer mental illness as those from mainland western Europe, which is largely Unselfish Capitalist in its political economy. An average 23% of Americans, Britons, Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians suffered in the last 12 months, but only 11.5% of Germans, Italians, French, Belgians, Spaniards and Dutch. The message could not be clearer. Selfish Capitalism, much more than genes, is extremely bad for your mental health. But why is it so toxic?
We all have our theories, imo it's the culture of the Anglo American West, it seems to have accommodated the self flagellation, constant external judgement and self criticism of Religious ideology within it's capitalism.

This is why the EU is a good thing for the West imo, I've been to Spain and France often they have a far more relaxed attitude to the living over there, everyone here's far too busy all the time, and look upon those who aren't as inferior...
...Molti nemici molto onore...
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2013 12:14 by Ultimate Seeker ™.

Oliver James 07 Oct 2013 17:21 #5

• cantata
  • Silver Member
Could it be because Americans, British, Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians were all once so very heavily under the oppression of the Royal Family (Great British Empire) - which has had a psychological affect on them, and often still does. "Royal influence" goes far beyond waving flags and some baggage or other wearing a crown on fancy occasions. It keeps in mind The System, The Order, Divine Rights and Knowing Your Place. That kind of thing.

PS: Meant to say - I read his book Afluenza a good time ago now and it was good.
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2013 17:29 by cantata.
User(s) who Liked this post: Frog, jonb

Oliver James 15 May 2014 13:52 #6

• Timesarrow
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Oliver James is a fantastic researcher and writer, and offers some very powerful and sobering truths about where we are and - if we don't change what we value - where we're going.

I agree with Frog's post, and it has been repeatedly found that those who "have nothing" tend to be much happier and psychologically healthier than those who are materially rich, because the absence of material possessions forces people to band together, form strong productive bonds, look out for each other and so on - and this is what humans really need, not flat screen TVs and designer trainers.