Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 16:56 #1

• pheony
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Just like in The Matrix, we may too be living in a simulation generated by an all powerful computer, according to research

If you believe The Matrix franchise, what we think is our everyday life is in fact a simulation generated by an all-powerful computer.
However this idea may not simply be science fiction and 'cosmic rays' could reveal that we are indeed living in a simulated universe.
According to Discover magazine, physicists can offer us the ability to test whether we live in our own virtual Matrix, by studying radiation from space.
Cosmic rays are the fastest particles that exist and originate in far-flung galaxies. They always arrive at Earth with a specific maximum energy of 1020 electron volts.
If there is a specific maximum energy for particles then this gives rise to the idea that energy levels are defined, specific and constrained by an outside force.

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10451983/Do-we-live-in-the-Matrix-Scientists-believe-they-may-have-answered-the-question.html
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 20:47 #2

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
So the whole universe itself could be really just one big computer....interesting idea.

I can see some religious people having a problem with that concept, because what does it say about God?
The pen is mightier than the sword

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 21:37 #3

• jonb
The interesting aspect of Academic Physics is that they presume, reality is created from fundamental forces, and that the dimensions are essentially structureless, that this is not true is easy to demonstrate, but never accepted.

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 21:41 #4

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
The nature of reality.

Or is it the reality of nature?

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 22:06 #5

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
Thus, according to the research, if the energy levels of particles could be simulated, so too could the rest of the universe.

Seems to me like it's saying that it may be theoretically possible in principal to simulate the universe, but nobody knows how or why anybody or anything would do so and there's no evidence they have, just the hypothetical notion of theoretical possibility. I mean, it's rather a jump to leap from it being hypothetically possible to simulate the energy levels of particles to deciding an entire universe with at least one planet populated by billions of sentient beings may be a simulation.
Must have an awesome rig. AMD and Intel would kill to get their hands on the processor,.

Descartes must be spinning in his grave wishing he was a 21st century scientist with a grant. And probably an enormous stash of weed.

Bet Icke is claiming this means he was right all along etc.
No War But The Class War
Last Edit: 20 Nov 2013 22:08 by Chuck Random.
User(s) who Liked this post: novum

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 22:53 #6

• cantata
  • Silver Member
I wouldn't have any trouble believing that we are all simply enduring some kind of "giant computer game" with us (perhaps coming in as spirits) to "play through our selected characters the "game" of our choice; and that all times and ages are currently ongoing at the same moment in one huge arcade, with other players caught fast in their "chosen game" as Centurions or Neanthertals or baco-foil clad Futuristic Gaddabouts.

I think I'm probably one of those characters that the hero gets to shoot all the time, and I keep being re-invented to come back and get shot down again and again and again, ad infinitum. :roll:
"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
if he undaunted be....". (Beowulf).

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

:cavalier
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:01 #7

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:

I think I'm probably one of those characters that the hero gets to shoot all the time, and I keep being re-invented to come back and get shot down again and again and again, ad infinitum. :roll:
ORANGEBURG, SC–Solid Snake, tactical-espionage expert and star of PlayStation's "Metal Gear Solid," questioned the nature of the universe Monday when, moments after his 11th death in two hours, a cruel God forced him to "Continue" his earthly toil and suffering.

"Is this all there is?" asked Snake, hiding in a storage locker while two masked guards searched for him in the hold of a cargo ship. "Is this why I was created? To suffer? Will I ever escape this endless loop of grueling labor followed by violent death?"

Snake was then discovered by the guards and cut down in a hail of gunfire.

Snake, who has been fatally shot 2,143 times in the past six months, said he does not know why God deems it necessary for him to endlessly repeat his mission, which involves sneaking aboard a hijacked military ship and discovering who stole the walking nuclear-equipped battle tank known as Metal Gear Ray.

"Why will the Lord not grant me my final rest?" asked a reincarnated Snake, crawling underneath a lifeboat on the ship's weather deck. "Certainly there must be a greater purpose for me than to kill dozens and eventually be killed myself."

Added Snake: "As Goethe said, 'Man must strive, and in striving he must err.'"

Pitching himself over the ship's railing to avoid a trio of patrol guards, Snake pondered the notion of self-determination, wondering aloud whether he had any control over his own destiny. Before he could draw any conclusions, however, he lost his grip, falling into the sea and drowning.

"The Koran asks, 'Shall not the Lord of all the Earth do right?'" said Snake, rematerializing under the lifeboat. "But scholars have often argued whether the question is an assertion of belief or a refutation of faith in absolute goodness on the part of the Creator. As for myself, all I know is, I'm tired of the constant pain, death, and destruction."

Snake was then shot in the head by an undetected guard, falling into a pool of his own blood before reappearing in the ship's afterdeck, where his mission began.

"I often wonder, as many video-game characters do, whether God forces me to Continue to punish me for my sins," Snake said. "After all, I've deserted the American military, killed hundreds of guards, and betrayed my would-be lover, Meryl Silverburgh, by submitting to torture in the alternate ending to the first installment of 'Metal Gear Solid.' But sometimes, like when I suicidally attack dozens of armed guards with only my bare hands, it seems that God is putting me through hell merely to amuse Himself. It just doesn't make sense."

According to Rev. Paul Flessing of Yale University's Divinity School, Snake's theosophical quandary is far from uncommon.

"We all wrestle with the Big Questions about the will of God and one's place in Creation," Flessing said. "But the important thing is to have faith and try to find meaning in one's life–or lives, as the case may be. We must remember the trials of Job, whose faith God continually tested. It seems Snake is going through something very much like that, with this constant pattern of 'Continues.' The purpose will become clear to him in the end."

Sidling along a companionway toward the ship's lounge, Snake considered his ultimate fate.

"What awaits me at the end of my lives' journeys?" Snake asked. "Is there a Paradise on the other side? Or will it all end in a full-motion video sequence that hints at a forthcoming sequel?"

The hallway then filled with nerve gas, fatally asphyxiating Snake.

God, also known as Orangeburg 11-year-old Brandon MacElwee, offered no comment on His greater plan for Snake, saying He was "too busy trying to get to the part with the knife-throwing Russian girl."

www.theonion.com/articles/videogame-character-wondering-why-heartless-god-al,274/
No War But The Class War

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:04 #8

• cantata
  • Silver Member
:D

Odd thing is, our Chuck..... my christian name means snake (or, rather, "Serpent", the Ancient Germanic symbol of Wisdom - not that I got any).

:O

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths... Beautiful people do not just happen". (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross).

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:05 #9

• Chuck Random
  • Voluntarily Inactive
cantata wrote:

Odd thing is, our Chuck..... my christian name means snake (or, rather, "Serpent", the Ancient Germanic symbol of Wisdom - not that I got any).

:O

So how was the knife throwing girl?
No War But The Class War

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:07 #10

• cantata
  • Silver Member
:D Ask "God". :D

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:22 #11

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
baco-foil clad Futuristic Gaddabouts.

:rofl:

Do we live in the Matrix? Scientists believe they may have answered the question 20 Nov 2013 23:44 #12

• cantata
  • Silver Member
The main thing is that we all now know who God is: Orangeburg 11 year old Brandon MacElwee. :thumbup:

Funnily enough, I've long suspected that God was some half-baked eejit kid who "created" things really, really badly; then lost interest and went off to occupy himself with better things.... (like "trying to get to the part with the knife-throwing Russian girl"). :roll:

Little busterd. :mad: I hope his parents whip his bottom. :spank: