Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is 'time'?

What is 'time'? 21 Nov 2013 01:00 #1

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Is it just a construct in our minds, to enable us to have a sense of 'continuation'?

Is time 'static'? I don't think it is. Our concept of time varies doesn't it. Sometimes it passes more quickly than others, in our perception of it.

As you get older for example, time goes faster. In my opinion.

Discuss.
The pen is mightier than the sword
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata, PFIZIPFEI, ..........

What is 'time'? 21 Nov 2013 08:33 #2

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
I think that time is mostly a construct of human mind. From personal experience I know how it varies so much depending on what you're doing and how good time you're having. On a boring day in work, the minutes are crawling. On a birthdayparty or a gig or festival, etc. time is flying by.

Same goes when playing a good game, the time just disappears and suddenly you notice its morning already.

Other thing to ponder is that time is relevant to speed on which you move somewhere, if my memory serves me well, this phenomenon was proven in some test with extremely fast plane and some atomic clocks, after a flight in crazy speeds there was a difference in those clocks, which were started at the same time, the clock in the plane was slower when in high speeds. I think there was some theory and calculations about this, I think it was Albert Einstein who came up with it?

Could that be a reason why people who do A LOT if things in their life often live longer and seem to age slower? :D On the other hand those who sit on their asses seem to wither away rather fast. I've seen some people in their fifties look like they're in their eighties, and usually, those people sit on their butts.
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

What is 'time'? 21 Nov 2013 09:29 #3

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
So true....'watching the clock' when you're bored at work or whatever and want the time to pass quickly.....well an hour can seem to last for ever can't it. Whereas when you're having fun....Time Flies as they say.

Example....sometimes I come on here for a 'quick browse round the forum' and before I know it, half the day has gone. :D

Other thing to ponder is that time is relevant to speed on which you move somewhere, if my memory serves me well, this phenomenon was proven in some test with extremely fast plane and some atomic clocks, after a flight in crazy speeds there was a difference in those clocks, which were started at the same time, the clock in the plane was slower when in high speeds. I think there was some theory and calculations about this, I think it was Albert Einstein who came up with it?

Yes, part of his theory of relativity I think. Didn't he also predict that if we ever manage to reach the speed of light, time would basically cease to exist ?
User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, cantata

What is 'time'? 21 Nov 2013 13:54 #4

• Hexhammer
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Karma is a bitch.
Yea, I think Einstein had some theoretic calculations on this one. And going over the speed of light would bend the time or make it run backwards or something like that. There was also this that time and space are basically two sides of one coin. ;) Is this going too far from the OP? Its always fun to think about theoretical physics, mix it with theories about time and human perception... Makes time fly, doesn't it?

Oh, byt the way, I'm late from our rehearsal because I'm posting on this topic. Got to fly! :D
"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
-Agent Fox Mulder
User(s) who Liked this post: diamondgeezer, cantata

What is 'time'? 21 Nov 2013 15:14 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • Gone But Not Forgotten
Not going too far from the OP at all Hex....quite the opposite. :cool:

User(s) who Liked this post: Hexhammer, cantata, Rural_Oral

What is 'time'? 08 Mar 2014 21:40 #6

• Straight Shooter
User(s) who Liked this post: cantata