Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Smartest Man in the World

The Smartest Man in the World 11 Jan 2016 18:46 #1

• Robert Baird
My oldest brother and I exchanged a name dropping affair today. He loves to be a groupie or appear to know things he never integrates. Sometimes in discussions about religion he will say he is a Carmelite Yogi and Hindu. He will wear any hat whether it fits or not. At some point after a bunch of e-mails about Simone Weil who he thinks he is the soulful continuance of since he was born as she died - and he has heard me describe such things for decades - he said some guy was the smartest man in the world. My immediate response was a truly smart person would have nothing to do with academia. Then the topic changed and we went into the world's greatest philosopher and I said no one is a philosopher since the sciences took all the fields of inquiry into specific areas that could achieve something of value in, and thus lost the integrative aspect. I also said I felt physicists would be today's Philosophers rather than the likes of Derrida who I said was a nit-picker making nothing (even though I enjoy the de-construction exercise). I said that Bucky Fuller was my idea of what a philosopher would be, and few people can do, or are encouraged to take that road.

He said Charles Taylor might be most people's choice. I have been down that road with him before. It is the road of church paradigm influence on alchemy or secular humanism called Hermeneutics. It includes Gadamer who could even be termed an alchemist. And with phenomenology I have a healthy respect for Taylor who happens to be Canadian and from Montreal where my brother lived. Why he needs to have heroes who are zeroes (Joking somewhat) and tout nationalistic ideologies is beyond me - and has been for as long as I have been an adult.

So I decided to look at who the wiki people say is the smartest man in the world. It sure fits, although it is less of the matter that he would have nothing to do with academia than it is the case the school and social system forced him elsewhere. People do love to bully their betters, and defend turf for all sorts of stupid reasons. The movie Good Will Hunting might come to your mind as you read this.

"Langan was born in San Francisco, California, circa 1952. He spent most of his early life in Montana, with his mother and three brothers. His mother was the daughter of a wealthy shipping executive but was cut off from her family's fortune. Langan didn't grow up with his biological father as he died or disappeared before he was born. This eventually resulted in an economic struggle for the family, causing a food scarcity, reducing the family to a life of poverty.[9]

During elementary school, Langan was repeatedly skipped ahead, which resulted in torment by his peers. Although teachers praised Langan for his college-level work, his peers still bullied him, not for his intelligence, but because of his family's socio-economic status. Langan has disclosed that he was brutally beaten by his stepfather, Jack Langan. Chris Langan recalled that his "stepfather constantly asked [Chris] difficult questions, and when I'd give him correct answers to those questions, he'd bat me in the mouth or something of that nature to let me know he didn't appreciate a guy trying to be smarter than he was."[10] At the age of twelve years, Langan began weight training, and forcibly ended the abuse by throwing his stepfather out of the house and telling him never to return when he was fourteen.[11]

Langan says he spent the last years of high school mostly in independent study, teaching himself "advanced math, physics, philosophy, Latin and Greek".[7] He allegedly earned a perfect score on the SAT (pre-1995 scale) despite taking a nap during the test.[10] Langan attended Reed College and later Montana State University, but faced with financial and transportation problems, and believing that he could teach his professors more than they could teach him, he dropped out.[7]

Later life[edit]

Langan took a string of labor-intensive jobs for some time, and by his mid-40s had been a construction worker, cowboy, Forest Service Ranger, farmhand, and, for over twenty years, a bouncer on Long Island. Langan was also approached and contracted by Disney Research[12] and he previously worked for Virtual Logistix, a technology company.[6] According to company records, Langan "produced original research in various fields of mathematics, including graph theory, algebra, advanced logic and model theory, abstract computation theory and the theory of computational intractability, artificial intelligence, physics and cosmology".[13] Langan said he developed a "double-life strategy": on one side a regular guy, doing his job and exchanging pleasantries, and on the other side coming home to perform equations in his head, working in isolation on his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU).[7]

Intellectual pursuits[edit]

In 1999 Langan and others formed a non-profit corporation called the "Mega Foundation" to "create and implement programs that aid in the development of gifted individuals and their ideas."[6][10]

Langan has allegedly completed Design for a Universe, but is searching for ways to optimize the publicity and sale of the book.[6][14] Langan has also been quoted as saying that "you cannot describe the universe completely with any accuracy unless you're willing to admit that it's both physical and mental in nature"[15] and that the CTMU "explains the connection between mind and reality, therefore the presence of cognition and universe in the same phrase".[16] He calls his proposal "a true 'Theory of Everything', a cross between John Archibald Wheeler's 'Participatory Universe' and Stephen Hawking's 'Imaginary Time' theory of cosmology."[7] In conjunction with his ideas, Langan has claimed that "you can prove the existence of God, the soul and an afterlife, using mathematics."[10]

The CTMU has gained both praise[citation needed], and controversy in the scientific community. Robert Seitz, a former NASA Executive and Mega Foundation director stated "every physicist is inundated with amateurs' ‘Theories of Everything,' but Chris' CTMU is very, very different".[17] On the flip side, the CTMU theory has been criticized for its use of convoluted language. Langan's use of terms he has invented (or redefined) has made his exposition obscure. Some suggest this is deliberate.[18]

In 2004, Langan moved with his wife Gina (née LoSasso), a clinical neuropsychologist, to northern Missouri, where he owns and operates a horse ranch and undertakes activities for his Foundation.[19]

Asked about creationism, Langan has said:

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.[16]

Langan has said elsewhere that he does not belong to any religious denomination, explaining that he "can't afford to let [his] logical approach to theology be prejudiced by religious dogma."[16] He calls himself "a respecter of all faiths, among peoples everywhere.""
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2016 18:49 by Robert Baird. Reason: typo
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.
User(s) who Liked this post: entrangermercenary1

The Smartest Man in the World 12 Jan 2016 12:55 #2

• Robert Baird
Dr. Latour blesses the world with his ignorance as he evaluates Chris Langan's theory on reality and what I consider to be a metaphysical magnum opus. This good doctor might even be looking for attention and have some monetary stake in his characterizations of Chris. I would not say Chris is a "professional philosopher" - I might say he established a group seeking to help people see a philosophy that will enable society (Humanist).

The fact that it was Roger Bacon (an alchemist) long before Francis Bacon who is credited with the origin of the Scientific Method did not surprise me. It is a common mistake but not one he should have made. Long before Roger many of his betters in alchemy used the Scientific Method. I would say Socrates inspected and observed with a method far superior to mere observation. He sought out new perspectives to view everything from - he QUESTIONED his own bias!

But the good doctor did actually study Chris's theory and after you wade through his own poetic deflecting nonsense about God you will find he learned some things we all can learn from Chris.

principia-scientific.org/on-l...y-of-theories/

The Smartest Man in the World 12 Jan 2016 20:43 #3

• Cinta
  • Never Again
  • ''None are more hopelessly enslaved,than those who falsely believe they are free
principia-scientific.org/on-l...y-of-theories/
PAGE NOT FOUND

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Principia Scientific Intl to choose a new direction
This kind of disgusting and disrespectful behaviour is condoned here

ORANGEAID verbal abuse

''Cinta is a whore.
I don't change one word I've said.''

truth-zone.net/forum/members-area/67105-open-up-the-clarity-zone-to-all-tz-members-we-need-transparency-and-not-secrecy.html?start=80#209733

The Smartest Man in the World 12 Jan 2016 21:08 #4

• Robert Baird
And when you go to the website you might have to do some work too. It appears Dr. Latour is not so non=profit as that site says. He claims Chris is a professional philosopher but I think Chris is in it for the right reasons (not that money is bad).

Maybe you can punch in Chris and Dr. Latour to get to the article.

The Smartest Man in the World 13 Jan 2016 00:41 #5

• Robert Baird
The above link does work at w-mysteries and I have the whole thing ready to post here if it is desired. But in the interim here is the usual nonsense we see here all the time.

From another point of view we have a person making fun of Chris in an entirely predictable manner. It makes people feel big to argue against well considered thought because usually the person arguing against something studious and well thought out will be enjoined by the applause of similarly stupid people. Chris advocates genetic testing to make it so people will not have to raise functional idiots and extremely retarded or unhealthy kids. Yes, Hitler did approve the request of a father to end the life of his severely retarded child. Yes, eugenics has a lot of moral issues to consider. It is true that Down's children (for an example) can be wonderful people. In fact I think a couple who I have known are superior to the person attacking Chris and calling him out while not presenting any real argument against Chris or even allowing Chris to respond to his trash (I doubt Chris has the time - he is busy doing GOOD things.).

"Chris Langan is the World’s Smartest Man. That’s not an opinion, it’s a statement of fact. Mr. Langan’s IQ is nearly 200. Oh, and he’s spent 20 years being a bouncer at a bar.
{Yes, and what point is he making here? Chris was not provided a normal homelife and had to work while attending school and learning nothing in the process. His life is a good example of wasted potential forced upon gifted people who want to do great things. Society favors stupidity and places barriers to creative productive methods. It is called various things including the Spiral of Education.}
This guy has had a rough life. As a kid he was abused by other kids and even his step father because he was smarter than all of them were. And if you listen to this entire interview with him you’ll see why he’s kind of pessimistic.

In reality, it’s pretty easy to see why he’s this way. In addition to the fact that he’s been brutalized all his life, during the interview he points out:

“Smart people are vastly outnumbered by average people. Its the nature of the bell curve.”

Chris Langan IQ Comparison

Here’s another way to think about this. Think about how much smarter you are than a really, really mentally retarded person.

An average person’s IQ is about 100, and that really retarded person is maybe 65 for a measly 35 point difference. Well, the deficit between Chris and the average person is nearly 300% greater! Heck, the difference between him and a genius is as great as the difference between a genius and a retarded person!

Now, imagine if you were that much smarter than every single living person around! Actually, don’t bother. Your puny brain probably doesn’t have the capacity to imagine that… Damn. I guess I’d be bitter too. It reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

Anyway, having said all that, one problem I’ve noticed with extremely smart people is that they begin thinking that their one brain is actually more powerful than all the other brains around them combined. And Chris falls into this trap during the final video when he begins espousing the virtues of placing genetic controls on “human breeding”.

Chris Langan:

“People who wanted to have children would apply to make sure they have no diseases. Why do we have to do it through genetic engineering? Well, we have to let only the fit breed…. Freedom is not necessarily a right. It is a privilege that you have to earn. A lot of people abuse their freedom and that is something that people have to be trained not to do.

Interviewer:

“But who? Who does this training?

Chris Langan:

“Well, I’d be perfectly willing to do it myself. Just put me in charge.”

Yikes! Pretty scary stuff. Sounds like the precursor to Nazi Germany, or something from a Borg episode of Star Trek.

If you actually watched all the parts of this, did you come out wondering how someone who scores so high on tests that measure problem solving ability could score so low on ability to relate to humanity in general? Could it be that individuals with brains that are highly specialized in one area simply become deficient in another?

Because really, I may be a mental midget when it comes to quickly calculating squares and dots on an IQ test compared to Mr Langan, but I could teach him volumes about how to relate to society. It seems to me that his attitude is that since he is “smarter”, his opinions should simply be accepted. But frankly, I don’t believe he is actually capable of comprehending anything that I cannot. He may arrive at a conclusion quicker, but this doesn’t mean that he doesn’t need to bring the rest of us along with him.

Oh, one last thing. Chris penned what he calls the Cognitive Theoretic Model of the Universe in 2001, subtitled “The Theory of Theories.” Man, I really wish he’d read my article about conservation of words. I skimmed through the whole thing and frankly I’ve never seen so many words used to end in no point whatsoever!

Official retraction (the first one ever! Yeah!)Due to some poor search results, coupled with poor research, and compounded by poor Web design, I originally incorrectly linked to Mr. Langan’s Theory of Theories. Seeing how this was in no way related to a model of the universe I figured it was crap! However, the real CTMU can be found here. So have fun.

Anyway, feel free to check it out you feeble minded little humans!"

onemansblog.com/2007/11/06/smartest-man-in-the-world-has-diarrhea-of-the-mouth/

The Smartest Man in the World 13 Jan 2016 21:47 #6

• Cinta
  • Never Again
  • ''None are more hopelessly enslaved,than those who falsely believe they are free
''Anyway, feel free to check it out you feeble minded little humans!"
truth-zone.net/forum/science-and-physics/66320-the-smartest-man-in-the-world.html#190763
[/quote]

Do you support Eugenics Robert the Bard?

''Feeblemindedness," was considered the most important mental disorder by eugenicists.
In addition to abnormal behavior and very low scores on IQ tests, "feeblemindedness"
was frequently linked to promiscuity, criminality, and social dependency.
Eugenicists feared the "feebleminded,"because they could potentially "pass for normal"
and reproduce with normal people''

www.eugenicsarchive.org/html/eugenics/static/themes/9.html

ORANGEAID verbal abuse

''Cinta is a whore.

truth-zone.net/forum/members-area/67105-open-up-the-clarity-zone-to-all-tz-members-we-need-transparency-and-not-secrecy.html?start=80#209733
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2016 19:59 by Cinta.

The Smartest Man in the World 13 Jan 2016 22:47 #7

• Robert Baird
Dear C

You prove my point - and make yourself a foolish looking troll.

You quoted the person ridiculing Chris and you demonstrate you cannot read or make an argument as well. I addressed the rest of your question partially and could address any argument you could make (probably as well as Chris) on the matter of Eugenics.

BTW please remove my name from your erroneous quote or I will have to continue re-hashing your stupidity as any person makes posts to this thread.
Last Edit: 13 Jan 2016 22:48 by Robert Baird. Reason: typo

The Smartest Man in the World 13 Jan 2016 22:47 #8

• rodin
  • Spam Killer
  • BELIEF IS THE ENEMY OF TRUTH
This thread about me?
To understand who rules over you look to whom you tube can't criticise

The media isn't there to cover the news
It's there to cover the news up

All establishment lies pass through three stages
First, they are accepted as being self evident
Second, they are exposed by diligent research
Third, they are enforced

"Communism is the bloodiest, most difficult and the most terrible way from capitalism to capitalism" from Under the Sign of the Scorpion by Juri Lina

The Smartest Man in the World 14 Jan 2016 03:42 #9

• Robert Baird
The person who would actually write these things could indeed be the smartest man in the world.

The media isn't there to cover the news
It's there to cover the news up

All establishment lies pass through three stages
First, they are accepted as being self evident
Second, they are exposed by diligent research
Third, they are enforced

Homosexual parents are like vegetarian butchers

"Communism is the bloodiest, most difficult and the most terrible way from capitalism to capitalism" from Under the Sign of the Scorpion by Juri Lina

Most people will always be disappointed in me, for after they have convinced themselves I am one of them, they will find out I am not. However, very occasionally, someone who has convinced themselves I am not one of them will find out that actually I am....
User(s) who Liked this post: rodin

The Smartest Man in the World 14 Jan 2016 19:57 #10

• Cinta
  • Never Again
Robert Baird wrote:
Dear C

You quoted the person ridiculing Chris and you demonstrate you cannot read or make an argument as well. I addressed the rest of your question partially and could address any argument you could make (probably as well as Chris) on the matter of Eugenics.

BTW please remove my name from your erroneous quote or I will have to continue re-hashing your stupidity as any person makes posts to this thread.

I do not get hold or cold from the comment you made;do what you want Robert Baird

ORANGEAID verbal abuse

''Cinta is a whore.

The Smartest Man in the World 14 Jan 2016 20:14 #11

• peacenik
  • Immortal
Cinta wrote:
Robert Baird wrote:
Dear C

I do not get hold or cold from the comment you made;do what you want Robert Baird

I think he wants to lie, insult, and create discord, on the forum? He can't make a post w/o throwing insults at someone.
Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting point.” ~ Chuang Tzu

The Smartest Man in the World 14 Jan 2016 20:19 #12

• Cinta
  • Never Again
peacenik wrote:
Cinta wrote:
Robert Baird wrote:
Dear C

I think he wants to lie, insult, and create discord, on the forum? He can't make a post w/o throwing insults at someone.
:thumbup:
Yes I commented on his ''intelligent '' behaviour in another thread.

ORANGEAID verbal abuse

''Cinta is a whore.

The Smartest Man in the World 14 Jan 2016 20:21 #13

• Robert Baird
Yes, you have never actually made an argument all you do is lie, misquote and act as the fool you are.

But for those rare people who actually want facts and reasoned opinion I will give further answers to your question about what I think about eugenics. Well actually I am not addressing the historical eugenics which was promoted by America BEFORE the war.

Jeremy Bentham wrote this kind of thing in the 19th Century.

"The RICH Economy
by Robert Anton Wilson
from The Illuminati Papers

If there is one proposition which currently wins the assent of nearly everybody, it is that we need more jobs. "A cure for unemployment" is promised, or earnestly sought, by every Heavy Thinker from Jimmy Carter to the Communist Party USA, from Ronald Reagan to the head of the economics department at the local university, from the Birchers to the New Left.

I would like to challenge that idea. I don't think there is, or ever again can be, a cure for unemployment. I propose that unemployment is not a disease, but the natural, healthy functioning of an advanced technological society.

The inevitable direction of any technology, and of any rational species such as Homo sap., is toward what Buckminster Fuller calls ephemeralization, or doing-more-with-less. For instance, a modern computer does more (handles more bits of information) with less hardware than the proto-computers of the late '40's and '50's. One worker with a modern teletype machine does more in an hour than a thousand medieval monks painstakingly copying scrolls for a century. Atomic fission does more with a cubic centimeter of matter than all the engineers of the 19th Century could do with a million tons, and fusion does even more.

Unemployment is not a disease; so it has no "cure."

This tendency toward ephemeralization or doing more-with-less is based on two principal factors, viz:

1.The increment-of-association, a term coined by engineer C.H. Douglas, a meaning simply that when we combine our efforts we can do more than the sum of what each of us could do separately. Five people acting synergetically together can lift a small modern car, but if each of the five tries separately, the car will not budge. As society evolved from tiny bands, to larger tribes, to federations of tribes, to city-states, to nations, to multinational alliances, the increment-of-association increased exponentially. A stone-age hunting band could not build the Parthenon; a Renaissance city-state could not put Neil Armstrong on the Moon. When the increment-of-association increases, through larger social units, doing-more-with-less becomes increasingly possible.

2.Knowledge itself is inherently self-augmenting. Every discovery "suggests" further discoveries; every innovation provokes further innovations. This can be seen concretely, in the records of the U.S. Patent Office, where you will find more patents granted every year than were granted the year before, in a rising curve that seems to be headed toward infinity. If Inventor A can make a Whatsit out of 20 moving parts, Inventor B will come along and build a Whatsit out of 10 moving parts. If the technology of 1900 can get 100 ergs out of a Whatchamacallum, the technology of 1950 can get 1,000 ergs. Again, the tendency is always toward doing-more-with-less.

Unemployment is directly caused by this technological capacity to do more-with-less. Thousands of monks were technologically unemployed by Gutenberg. Thousands of blacksmiths were technologically unemployed by Ford's Model T. Each device that does-more-with-less makes human labor that much less necessary.

Aristotle said that slavery could only be abolished when machines were built that could operate themselves. Working for wages, the modern equivalent of slavery -- very accurately called "wage slavery" by social critics -- is in the process of being abolished by just such self-programming machines. In fact, Norbert Wiener, one of the creators of cybernetics, foresaw this as early as 1947 and warned that we would have massive unemployment once the computer revolution really got moving."

One of the things Chris Langan (the smartest man in the world) is promoting aligns with the social justice and feminism of Critical Theory and which the Hegelian Dialectical forces of social engineering are calling Cultural Marxism. He would like genetics to weed out bad medical and social outcomes which cost a woman all manner of pain (financial as well as emotional) unnecessarily. It is not eugenics as the boob from onemansblog asserts.

I would go far further and insist on parents having taken multiple courses on parenting approaches. I would want existing families to address the Cycle of Violence so rampant in our many varied cultures. That would require a proactive Rainbow Coalition such as Jesse Jackson once promoted but it would have to be implemented with some haste due to burgeoning technological opportunities to implant new mind controls. The chances of a political person saying you have no right to force society to pay for your kids to be wild and crazy deviates like you are - is nil.

But I can imagine a politician saying what George McGovern started to say - we need a society where people get a guarantee of security and basic wealth through a guaranteed minimum income or negative tax plan. We need to decrease government and managing people in prisons and on welfare or having tax corruption in the IRS and on Wall Street. J. K. Galbraith was a great economist who documented how society would improve it's GDP with fewer man hours of wasted work, The Club of Rome experts and Bucky Fuller knew these things our new technologies will allow - long ago.

Contrary to what Robert Anton Wilson says about employment and the lack thereof we have many people buying into an attack upon Critical Theory and actual planning for a future with robots doing menial tasks and the resultant improved productivity and wealth.

We get a result which is exactly what these attackers say they do not want when we do not insist upon thinking through a plan to stop runaway religions and attack feminism (thus support Makow and misogyny) or social justice. We get ignorance or dumbocracy!

In Canada we had many attempts to implement the ideas of C. H. Douglas in politics. It was called the Social Credit Party and won a lot of power. In Brian Mulroney's third bid for election (While ripping off millions - later admitted) he tried a watered down minimum income. In the US Steve Forbes has promoted a flat tax which would cut billions of dollars off the IRS payrolls as well as many other bureaucracies. I say it could tie in with social programs that encourage personal growth and mutual instruction education or caring. Those who do nothing positive (which they like - even writing poetry) will get a different kind of program.
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2016 20:30 by Robert Baird. Reason: add color